PDA

View Full Version : change the way of the free draft reward works

jay203
06-22-2013, 05:49 PM
atm we are given a time limit and we either use them or lose them
would it be possible to just give out 52 free draft tokens and let us use them as we see fit?

IndigoShade
06-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Possible? Sure! Is it going to happen? I wouldn't hold my breath.

The way it's structured right now it gives people incentive to log in on a semi regular basis sort of like daily quests in MMO's do, which serves to keep you hooked and possibly spending $ and keeps the games population up.

To put it another way, you're more likely to give Cryptozoic more money over the course of a year if your free drafts come once a week than if you were to have your first 52 drafts of the year free.

Gwaer
06-22-2013, 05:55 PM
The free drafts serve a function that this would not, and that is ensuring that there are people drafting regularly, at least once a week year after year for the PP crowd, this keeps queue times down, and helps ensure interest.

majin
06-22-2013, 05:57 PM
already asked CZE before i backed a $250 tier pledge, not gonna happen http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a21fj4o39

funktion
06-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Hypothetically, if the goal is to encourage people to log in often, then this works against that goal.

Additionally, it is clearly stated that it is one free draft per week, which is VERY different from getting 52 tokens and being able to use them all week 1 or all the same week that set 2 is released...

Personally, I don't want what you suggest.

Shadowelf
06-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Also it doesn't seem too suppressive to keep up with one draft per week; there won't be given dates and there won't be a fixed time schedule

jay203
06-22-2013, 06:03 PM
i'm just saying, having the free is a more versatile reward than a restrictive you can only use this reward once per week over the 52 weeks starting the day the game launches o_O

heck, if you're afraid of people saving them up to use them for later sets, assign restrictions to the tokens themselves so they can only be used for set 1 drafts

IndigoShade
06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
It benefits Cryptozoic and the longevity of the game more to keep it the way it is.

Gwaer
06-22-2013, 06:06 PM
The idea is to keep people logging in every week and not able to just do all their drafts as quickly as possible.

jay203
06-22-2013, 06:09 PM
c'mon peepz, have some faith in the game, lol
don't think they need to resort to this method to keep people logging in XD

Gwaer
06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
... on the other hand, it hasn't launched yet. The drafts are extremely valuable, and this will help immensely to keep them spread out rather than bunched up at the beginning of the year and much less often at the end, making queues worse for everyone.

hacky
06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
It's not about "faith in the game". It's understanding that "one free draft a week" is exactly what we expect it to be.

IndigoShade
06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
c'mon peepz, have some faith in the game, lol
don't think they need to resort to this method to keep people logging in XD

You're right. I don't think they needed to do a Pro Tier with life-time drafting or give every $250 pledge tier a year of "free" drafting to keep people logging in at all. The fact that they did is awesome; and you're complaining as if it's not good enough.

Rydavim
06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Gwaer. Not only does it benefit the community in the way he's suggested, but it's also likely to help keep Hex in the black. Much like a monthly gym membership, you can count on some people buying in and then not fully utilizing it. Having it generate once per week means that they will likely need to give out fewer "free" boosters and prizes. While digital cards don't take money to create, they do in a way "deny" Cryptozoic a paying slot in that draft.

TLDR - Promotes draft population stability, reduces number of free drafts Cryptozoic has to honor.

jay203
06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
It's not about "faith in the game". It's understanding that "one free draft a week" is exactly what we expect it to be.
if some method is used in a attempt to force player to log in at least x-times over specific time period, than yes, there is lack of faith in the game's ability to keep people interested
and yes, i understand what it means thank you very much, was only popping in to see if they're willing to make it more flexible for people who would love to spend their free drafts multiple times in a week so they can play with their friends more often
i guess it somehow hurts to ask questions in this game huh

You're right. I don't think they needed to do a Pro Tier with life-time drafting or give every $250 pledge tier a year of "free" drafting to keep people logging in at all. The fact that they did is awesome; and you're complaining as if it's not good enough.
no one was complaining, you assume too much
they don't have to, yup, but they put it out as a stretch goal and we met them, so we get them. yay
only wondered if they're willing to make it better by making it more flexible, but i guess that somehow hurts the game so much that people like you are turning hostile. ~shrug~

maniza
06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Short answer: no

funktion
06-22-2013, 06:57 PM
snip...
only wondered if they're willing to make it better by making it more flexible, but i guess that somehow hurts the game so much that people like you are turning hostile. ~shrug~

I think you're just trying too hard to push something that nobody else agrees on...

Mr.Funsocks
06-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Would be nice if you could stockpile 'em though. Maybe to a limit (5 tokens at a time?) and you still only get the one a week, so you don't miss out or have to scramble to find internet if you go on a long hiking trip or something.

oncewasblind
06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
i'm just saying, having the free is a more versatile reward than a restrictive you can only use this reward once per week over the 52 weeks starting the day the game launches o_O

heck, if you're afraid of people saving them up to use them for later sets, assign restrictions to the tokens themselves so they can only be used for set 1 drafts

Not to mention that your suggestion would also increase the amount of rare drafting that would take place, since players would be encouraged to mill through their draft tokens as soon as possible.

From a design standpoint, there's literally no upside to what you're suggesting.

Banquetto
06-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I'd say that about the only thing they could consider that wouldn't hurt the game is, every week, giving you a "free draft token" that expired after, say, two weeks.

That way, if you missed a week (busy at work/school, holidays, etc.), you could use that draft next week. But you couldn't stockpile crazy amount, nor burn through masses at the start of the year.

Prism
06-22-2013, 07:55 PM
They aren't doing it and there is no point in doing it. If you dont have time in your entire week to do a single draft, even just rare-drafting and then leaving then you must have enough income to not give a damn about the $4-7 value you're missing out on that week.

wayne
06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
You wouldn't get mad if a store rejected an expired coupon right? The free year of drafts is a gift, not something you are owed. If you miss a week, then you missed a week.

Mr.Funsocks
06-22-2013, 10:05 PM
They aren't doing it and there is no point in doing it. If you dont have time in your entire week to do a single draft, even just rare-drafting and then leaving then you must have enough income to not give a damn about the $4-7 value you're missing out on that week.

That's a really stupid argument, I just wanted you to know that.

You wouldn't get mad if a store rejected an expired coupon right? The free year of drafts is a gift, not something you are owed. If you miss a week, then you missed a week.

THAT is the argument that you should be making. But it would be nice to have a week or two of buffer, since we DID pay for the coupons.

Malicus
06-22-2013, 10:25 PM
At most a one week buffer I think but at the end of the day missing 20% of your free drafts isn't the end of the world. It probably just means you were doing something you valued more highly.

The biggest issue I see is stacking for set release and you cant really fix that with tokens because at a certain point some of those tokens will be nearly useless. A set 1 only token when draft is 2x1 + 1x2 would be practically worthless which makes it very complicated because now you have 1 year of draft tokens which expire every 4 months.

Banquetto
06-22-2013, 11:03 PM
At most a one week buffer I think but at the end of the day missing 20% of your free drafts isn't the end of the world. It probably just means you were doing something you valued more highly.

I agree. Just wanted to make it clear that although I said the one week buffer was probably the most they could do, doesn't mean that I think they should do it.

Not using every free draft is very far from the end of the world - especially since it is just one of the many benefits of some rather expensive tiers.

Googolplex
06-22-2013, 11:08 PM
That wont happen, although I understand the request. But I am absolutely sure it will never happen. The free draft is already worth a fortune, they are not going to increase the value further by making it so much more flexible.

RanaDunes
06-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Don't forget during one year you're going to be able to draft in 3 different sets of your choice, which will be released every third of the year.

You really don't want to burn your 52 drafts on Set 1 of year x.

Vomitlord
06-23-2013, 05:04 AM
This is another example of some of the crazy levels of entitlement on this forum. Just be happy with your free drafts.

I'm personally delighted with mine. I missed out on PP which is crazy value. Pledged a higher tier just for the free drafts and still feel like I'm getting a bargain long term.

Facilier
06-23-2013, 06:01 AM
I think there should also be an option to let the AI do my draft for me. What if I am not good enough to win additional free packs on top of the weekly free drafts? Seems it would be definitely more versatile and better to have the AI do the picks and matches for me, so I know I will win at least 1 additional free pack.

Mr.Funsocks
06-23-2013, 06:05 AM

The idea is, to me, to not feel obligated to log in. I HATE the obligation to log in. Yes, I would be missing out on my daily lotus anyway, but feeling more of that sense of obligation isn't particularly fun. One of the reasons I always burn out on MMO raiding.

Malicus
06-23-2013, 06:34 AM
The idea is, to me, to not feel obligated to log in. I HATE the obligation to log in. Yes, I would be missing out on my daily lotus anyway, but feeling more of that sense of obligation isn't particularly fun. One of the reasons I always burn out on MMO raiding.

I can understand that but I dislike the alternatives more, especially people stockpiling for set 2 and 3. Should a pro player also be able to stack all his drafts together so that I can take a year off and come back and do 104 drafts of set 4 in 3 weeks.

In the grand scheme of things these drafts will be a drop in the bucket so I won't argue it is necessary to promote healthy draft queues (honestly if it is we are pretty screwed long term). I do not however think they owe anything more than use it or lose it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had budgeted them with the expectation of 80% use etc - I know I certainly did when considering my pledge.

Personally I think they shouldn't pile up but if they do it won't be a big deal - even if they front loaded all 52 it wouldn't really matter much .

jai151
06-23-2013, 06:35 AM
You're being promised one free draft a week for a year. You're getting one free draft a week for a year.

Where's the issue?

There was never any expectation of stockpiling or rollovers except by outliers of the community. There's no need to do them, it's in no way a benefit for CZE to do it any way other than what they promised. It ain't gonna happen.

Malicus
06-23-2013, 06:43 AM
You're being promised one free draft a week for a year. You're getting one free draft a week for a year.

Where's the issue?

There was never any expectation of stockpiling or rollovers except by outliers of the community. There's no need to do them, it's in no way a benefit for CZE to do it any way other than what they promised. It ain't gonna happen.

Sorry just playing devils advocate here but I chose not to make this argument since 1 free draft per week would be a generally accurate description of either a use it or lose it or a stacking pile of drafts.

Technically to shut it all down they should have said a free draft once a week. Though their claim of 'Does not stack' can do double duty here to exclude a pile of drafts from 1 free draft per week.

Their word use does not require that drafts roll over but it does not exclude that as a possible mechanic.

jai151
06-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Sorry just playing devils advocate here but I chose not to make this argument since 1 free draft per week would be a generally accurate description of either a use it or lose it or a stacking pile of drafts.

Technically to shut it all down they should have said a free draft once a week. Though their claim of 'Does not stack' can do double duty here to exclude a pile of drafts from 1 free draft per week.

Their word use does not require that drafts roll over but it does not exclude that as a possible mechanic.

Oh, I wasn't using it as an example of why it shouldn't stack, I was just saying what they are giving you is exactly what was promised.

Mr.Funsocks
06-23-2013, 07:29 AM
I can understand that but I dislike the alternatives more, especially people stockpiling for set 2 and 3. Should a pro player also be able to stack all his drafts together so that I can take a year off and come back and do 104 drafts of set 4 in 3 weeks.

In the grand scheme of things these drafts will be a drop in the bucket so I won't argue it is necessary to promote healthy draft queues (honestly if it is we are pretty screwed long term). I do not however think they owe anything more than use it or lose it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had budgeted them with the expectation of 80% use etc - I know I certainly did when considering my pledge.

Personally I think they shouldn't pile up but if they do it won't be a big deal - even if they front loaded all 52 it wouldn't really matter much .

It's not a big deal, and I don't really think allowing total stockpiling for 6 months is a particularly healthy idea. But just relieving that "gotta find a computer" pressure for a week or so would be a nice little thing. For example, these last two weeks (while I've had computer access) I've been busy enough I likely wouldn't have had the urge to log in to do a draft tournament, short as it may be, as I've been immensely busy for a very long time. Feeling obligated to do it would have convinced me to log in, somewhat reluctantly, so I didn't lose my token, and that's just never very healthy for a game. Yeah, if you're in Africa for 3 months, they probably can't easily accommodate that, but giving a 2 week relief would be nice.

ramseytheory
06-23-2013, 09:23 AM
CZE benefits hugely from having an active population of regular drafters. Giving out free weekly drafts in the Kickstarter helps them in that goal, giving out a stack of 52 draft tokens doesn't. You're asking them to give up quite a lot for something that's not even that much benefit to you, and that's probably not going to happen.

Personally I'm more surprised they didn't offer (say) a month of weekly free drafts to King backers, and one free draft to everyone below that. The first one's always free... :)

majin
06-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Personally I'm more surprised they didn't offer (say) a month of weekly free drafts to King backers, and one free draft to everyone below that. The first one's always free... :)

I believe that's what the 3 free draft tokens are for, every one got 3 so it's like 3 weeks of free draft+

.the token won't probably expire until set 2 or might even be usable on set 2+ because it's a token. it just said "3 free booster draft tokens" and not "3 free set 1 booster draft tokens" https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/654/596/684ce49b3163e62ad1696ff660b10bd2_large.jpg?1370624 347

jgsugden
06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I have not heard a more precise timeline than Beta in September, and release in 'late fall'. If our '52 weeks of free packs' begin in September during Beta, we might end up with 18 weeks in Beta, 18 weeks in Set 1 release and run out of free drafts during Set 2. If Set 1 gets pushed back to 2014, I would not be shocked to discover that all (or nearly all) of my 52 free drafts were in Set 1.

wayne
06-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I have not heard a more precise timeline than Beta in September, and release in 'late fall'. If our '52 weeks of free packs' begin in September during Beta, we might end up with 18 weeks in Beta, 18 weeks in Set 1 release and run out of free drafts during Set 2. If Set 1 gets pushed back to 2014, I would not be shocked to discover that all (or nearly all) of my 52 free drafts were in Set 1.

I suspect Beta will not eat into the year of free drafting, at least not at first. There will still be aspects of the game that are being polished or changed at that point. I imagine there would be some backlash from the community if say the draft queue went down at any time during the beta and people missed out on their free drafts because of that.

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I suspect Beta will not eat into the year of free drafting, at least not at first. There will still be aspects of the game that are being polished or changed at that point. I imagine there would be some backlash from the community if say the draft queue went down at any time during the beta and people missed out on their free drafts because of that.
I suspect the opposite. You will get your kickstarter rewards in beta, which seems to include your free year of weekly drafts.

Kilo24
06-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I'd like to see something less rigid than having all the week timer for free drafts for everyone last precisely one week and start/end at the same time. With a system that does that, there's going to be a rush for all $250+ backers right before the deadline to both not waste their week and play a second draft right after the refresh time which is likely to slow the drafting servers down unpredictably. Slow servers plus strict time-based benefits are a recipe for a lot of players missing the cutoff point and getting frustrated.

Having each week be a token that expires after two weeks, allowing players to save up one free weekly draft, or staggering the refresh time for different accounts would all help to even the load on the servers and reduce slowdown (and in doing so would also provide a steadier drafting population - one of the chief reasons they included the weekly drafts.)

Rydavim
06-24-2013, 11:28 AM
With a system that does that, there's going to be a rush for all $250+ backers right before the deadline to both not waste their week and play a second draft right after the refresh time which is likely to slow the drafting servers down unpredictably.

This doesn't make sense to me. What makes you think that every single person wants to do their free drafts immediately back to back every week? I would imagine that player base is definitively a minority. A week gives people plenty of time to draft whenever they want. What you're suggesting is more like everyone having two drafts every two weeks. I don't think hardly anyone will play that way.

On a separate note from Kilo's argument...
I'm going to reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread. Think of free drafting as a gym membership. Gyms can assume a decent population of people not fully utilizing their membership: new years resolution-ers that bought a year but give up after a couple weeks, people who go on vacation frequently or get wrapped up in work or hobbies, people who procrastinate or forget... This form of drafting works the same way. The likelihood that Cryptozoic will have to honor every single free draft given out every single week is basically zero. Almost everyone will miss one somewhere. That's how life works.

The Kickstarter rewards are already an incredible value. Even ignoring every single card, sleeve, champion, crafting materials, equipment, VIP, ect. - AND assuming you miss on average one free draft per month - that is still more value than the $250+ tiers paid into it. Think about that for a minute. And then please stop posting these entitlement threads. It's embarrassing that a community that has so many good people and so much potential would be so greedy.

We should be thanking Cryptozoic, not constantly demanding more. 2

Fleckenwhatever
06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I expect to live to be 150 years old. You should give me all of my drafts for the intervening time in token form right now, as it's more flexible for my redemption of the reward. Failure to do so would demonstrate your lack of faith in your own product.

*blink*

Fleckenwhatever
06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I'd like to see something less rigid than having all the week timer for free drafts for everyone last precisely one week and start/end at the same time. With a system that does that, there's going to be a rush for all $250+ backers right before the deadline to both not waste their week and play a second draft right after the refresh time which is likely to slow the drafting servers down unpredictably. Slow servers plus strict time-based benefits are a recipe for a lot of players missing the cutoff point and getting frustrated.

Having each week be a token that expires after two weeks, allowing players to save up one free weekly draft, or staggering the refresh time for different accounts would all help to even the load on the servers and reduce slowdown (and in doing so would also provide a steadier drafting population - one of the chief reasons they included the weekly drafts.)

The floating idea is a good one, but honestly there aren't enough people with free drafts so as to have that be a sufficient primary reason for the change. A two-week window for use would be nice, and staggering the refresh rate for these accounts would also be helpful to seed the draft queues more evenly. Good insights.

Kilo24
06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
This doesn't make sense to me. What makes you think that every single person wants to do their free drafts immediately back to back every week? I would imagine that player base is definitively a minority. A week gives people plenty of time to draft whenever they want. What you're suggesting is more like everyone having two drafts every two weeks. I don't think hardly anyone will play that way.
- All of these statements assume that each weekly draft will be lost and a new one gained at a specific time each week. -

I don't think that every single free-weekly drafter will want to do their free drafts immediately back-to-back every week (or rather, every other week). What I do think is that there is at least a minor incentive to do that, and that the amount of free-weekly drafters drafting by a refresh is going to be much higher than free-weekly drafters playing at a given other time.

To pull some numbers out of a hat, let's say that 80% of the drafters don't care about the refresh time and will start a draft at a wholly random time during the week. The remaining 20% start a draft within 2 hours of the weekly reset time. If that's the case, then you'll have ~.476% of the weekly drafters starting at any given hour outside of the reset window, but 5.48% will be starting within that 2-hour figure. In other words, over 11 times as many free-weekly drafters will be drafting within 2 hours of that reset time even if 80% don't give a damn about it.

The precise numbers are not really important; I only provided them to demonstrate the effect that I wanted to correct. There will be a large cluster of free-weekly drafters at that time simply because that's the only consistent time that's even mildly better for the vast majority of free-weekly drafters than any other one. If the reset time wasn't the same for all free-weekly drafters, or if the time that the previous week's free draft was lost occurred some time after the new week's free draft was added, or if one extra week could be stored up at a time, that effect would be diminished because that specific time wouldn't be nearly as important.

Distributing the load of free-weekly drafters is important for two reasons: balancing server load and making sure that it doesn't take too long to get into a draft. If servers get too heavily loaded, they get slow and more frustrating to deal with (and people near real-time deadlines like weekly drafts get more likely to miss those times). If you have too few drafters at a given time, then it takes longer to get a draft started. And having large differences in the numbers of people drafting at one time versus another will result in Cryptozoic wasting resources at the low times and being slow at the peak times (how severe it is highly depends on the server architecture, but it's always easier to have a close-to-constant server load than a frequently varying one).

If the number of free-weekly drafters is minuscule compared to the regular drafters, then none of these really will make a significant difference to the game. However, I believe that Cryptozoic (with its better insight on the matter) isn't sure that that that will be the case; I don't think they would be so willing to provide such a large benefit of free boosters each week if they didn't expect that it would have at least a minor impact on the number of people who would regularly draft.

Even though it's very hard to say what the future will be, I think that having a system that distributes out the free-weekly drafts will be relatively easy and safe enough to implement that it's a better choice than the simple one of the same reset time and replenishment time for everyone.

Banquetto
06-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I suspect the opposite. You will get your kickstarter rewards in beta, which seems to include your free year of weekly drafts.

Yeah, the beta is effectively a soft launch. There will be 20,000 or so players, there will be no more wipes, we'll have all our KS rewards.

Rydavim
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I guess what I'm not clear on is how having them rollover once would solve the potential issue you're addressing. I personally don't believe hardly anyone will draft this way, but for a second we'll assume they will. Why wouldn't they then just do two drafts immediately before the reset and then do the next draft? Given that the "cutoff" is completely arbitrary, I'm not sure how lengthening it would make a difference. Wouldn't that type of person then just do three drafts every three weeks? If one is the type of person who is that concerned with chaining drafts around the "cooldown" of free drafts, wouldn't that still hold true, no matter what the time interval is?

Yes, I realize that some people just want more flexibility. Doing that is not in the best interest of Cryptozoic as a business. I'm not convinced it's in the best interest of the community either. One draft per week ensures that free drafts are distributed as evenly as possible, and rewards people for logging on regularly. The cutoff means that Cryptozoic doesn't have to honor every free draft (which effects the amount of money they make).

If you like numbers to stand behind opinions this would be mine; missing one free weekly draft every month still translates to a $280 value. That's completely apart from all the other ridiculously awesome stuff in whatever respective tier folks are backed at. Can't we just be happy and grateful for that?

Kilo24
06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess what I'm not clear on is how having them rollover once would solve the potential issue you're addressing. I personally don't believe hardly anyone will draft this way, but for a second we'll assume they will. Why wouldn't they then just do two drafts immediately before the reset and then do the next draft? Given that the "cutoff" is completely arbitrary, I'm not sure how lengthening it would make a difference. Wouldn't that type of person then just do three drafts every three weeks? If one is the type of person who is that concerned with chaining drafts around the "cooldown" of free drafts, wouldn't that still hold true, no matter what the time interval is?

Suppose you had the weekly draft perk. If you wanted to do your "weeklies" with the minimum amount of bother, you'd start a draft perhaps an a hour or a few minutes before the rollover time, play it, then play your next weekly draft right after. If you get even a relatively small percentage of people doing this, then the server gets a heavy load at that time, lag happens, and there's a clump of drafts right then.

If there was, say, a 3-day overlap between the time that you got the new draft and the expiration of the old free draft, then the amount of time that you could do a back-to-back draft would be increased from a hour or two it takes a draft to complete to over 3 days. So, instead of the best time to draft being a small clump around a specific time, it becomes spread out over the period.

If you could save a week to spend later, then people would be tempted into three-draft spurts every three weeks, sure. But those aren't as bad as back-to-back drafts every other week. Because drafts are of variable length, the window for the triple draft widens on both sides; you could do two drafts before or two drafts after the deadline and as such they'd be more spread out. Still, after thinking about it I'd prefer the solution in the previous paragraph: it's got less stress on a specific time.

Honestly, I think that you're not considering how prone to procrastination people will be. Redeeming your draft can end up feeling like an obligation to save until later (especially to people with multiple Pro-Player perks), and people will often be doing other things while the best time to log in for your draft hits (and even if they're playing Hex, they might be doing PvE, a friendly game, or another tournament and feel pressured into drafting right now). I think that extending the best-time-to-draft window will be both to the players and Cryptozoic's benefit.

Facilier
06-24-2013, 07:04 PM
If you wanted to do your "weeklies" with the minimum amount of bother, you'd start a draft perhaps an a hour or a few minutes before the rollover time, play it, then play your next weekly draft right after.

A draft takes like 3-4 hours between the actual draft the deck construction and playing 3 rounds. Not sure what kind of definition you use for "minimum amount of bother" - I suspect for some people playing for 8 hours in a row may not match up to it.

I think this is a whole lot of planning for some completely hypothetical issue that could be caused if somehow all 4,000 or so people with weekly drafts plan to draft exactly as you do, being from the time zone that allows to draft anywhere near the reset time, and have the schedule flexibility to fit in two drafts in a set day every week.

I think if a 4,000 user concurrency spike is likely to cause server issues, the game is in a lot more need of a server upgrade than specific programming to expand what is for many a temporary bonus (even if it is for a full year).

Rydavim
06-24-2013, 07:29 PM
I remain unconvinced that this will be as big of an issue as some think it will. However, a three hour overlap seems more reasonable to me than stacking weeklies. Perhaps they would generate every Tuesday at midnight, and expire every Tuesday at 3:00 AM (I'm using Tuesday morning as an example since it's so common with MMOs, it could be any day.)

I don't think Cryptozoic should feel obligated to alter anything about their free draft commitments. I don't think that people will run into this problem often. I expect the type of people who want to utilize every free draft they have to also be the people mostly likely to draft frequently, free or otherwise. For example, in the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO subscribers, who are given a monthly stipend of something akin to platinum, are actually the people most likely to also buy additional "platinum".

Regardless, I want to applaude everyone in this thread and the community. It's rare to see forums and threads remain so reasonable, civil, and well thought-out. The bad seeds are rare and far between. Thank you. I think this will be a great place to play.

Kilo24
06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
A draft takes like 3-4 hours between the actual draft the deck construction and playing 3 rounds. Not sure what kind of definition you use for "minimum amount of bother" - I suspect for some people playing for 8 hours in a row may not match up to it.

I think this is a whole lot of planning for some completely hypothetical issue that could be caused if somehow all 4,000 or so people with weekly drafts plan to draft exactly as you do, being from the time zone that allows to draft anywhere near the reset time, and have the schedule flexibility to fit in two drafts in a set day every week.

I think if a 4,000 user concurrency spike is likely to cause server issues, the game is in a lot more need of a server upgrade than specific programming to expand what is for many a temporary bonus (even if it is for a full year).
A draft in MTG may take 3-4 hours; I'd be surprised if the ones in Hex took that long. I'm betting that there will be a lot of streamlining due to the digital nature and card sorting. There's also that the player rare drafting would cut into that time significantly. Still, your point is quite valid in that I'm likely underestimating the time taken.

My statements hold if 80% of the free-weekly drafters just pick a random time each week and completely ignore the rollover time which they choose to draft. My earlier post has more details.

Cryptozoic is expecting that the amount of regular free-weekly-drafters will be significant enough to justify the constant influx of free booster packs. I'm not sure precisely what they're assuming, but I'm sure that they believe that the people who draft frequently will be an influential part of the drafting community. As such, free-weekly drafters will probably be a significant fraction of active drafters, so any major behavioral patterns that they have will reflect on the community as a whole.

The user spike at that time may or may not cause server issues. If each server is running the same program that can run any part of Hex, it's probably pretty easy to handle. But, if they have servers dedicated to just handling the drafting, the spike in drafters will hit that component disproportionately. I don't know what they'll do nor what effect it'll have (and Cryptozoic might not even know right now either). In any case: even if the load on the server ends up being irrelevant, the amount of people doing their free weekly drafts will cluster around the rollover time, and the benefits to the other drafters (the lower draft queue time) will be lessened at every other time.

One other facet: if I recall correctly, the drafts will be matched by relative skill and not just when they want to start; that makes whatever matchmaking algorithm much more complex and server-intensive than just matching players by the time they join. It also means that the pool of drafters eligible to compete against a given opponent is much smaller than the amount of drafters looking for a draft; as such, balancing the load of active becomes even more important.

I remain unconvinced that this will be as big of an issue as some think it will. However, a three hour overlap seems more reasonable to me than stacking weeklies. Perhaps they would generate every Tuesday at midnight, and expire every Tuesday at 3:00 AM (I'm using Tuesday morning as an example since it's so common with MMOs, it could be any day.)

I don't think Cryptozoic should feel obligated to alter anything about their free draft commitments. I don't think that people will run into this problem often. I expect the type of people who want to utilize every free draft they have to also be the people mostly likely to draft frequently, free or otherwise. For example, in the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO subscribers, who are given a monthly stipend of something akin to platinum, are actually the people most likely to also buy additional "platinum".

Regardless, I want to applaude everyone in this thread and the community. It's rare to see forums and threads remain so reasonable, civil, and well thought-out. The bad seeds are rare and far between. Thank you. I think this will be a great place to play.

A three hour rollover time wouldn't be a bad idea, and I think it would help the issues I detailed a good bit. It also doesn't significantly improve the free-weekly draft benefit, which has its own upsides as far as jealous players go.

And, yes: I am happy with this discussion as well. Disagreements that remain civil and cogent are rare on the internet.

Kilo24
06-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Malicus
06-25-2013, 03:08 AM
I honestly see the most likely scenario for most people is doing one draft then logging off since it is a reasonable time for most people to sit and play a game (personally I will probably do consecutive drafts but I spend far longer playing games on-line than the average person).

I definitely do not see myself rushing to finish a draft right before it expires since this just opens up the possibility of me missing out on it, if I theoretically did plan to draft back to back in this way so I can take 2 weeks off (really if you don't like the game that much why are you stressing over using the draft) I would probably leave at least 30mins to an hour above my expected time to finish sit around twiddling my thumbs for awhile and do my second draft but I don't think everyone else will be doing the same.

There are at least 3671 free drafts for the first 52 weeks, that is a maximum of 460 draft queues. I think Crypto is planning on being able to handle that.