PDA

View Full Version : MTG Grand Prix Las Vegas

Rtsands45
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Just watching the GP on ggslive.com. It seems pretty interesting with modern masters limited being one of the most fun formats in a while.

Fireblast
06-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Boosters are RMSP $7 and are sold for $20 and 15...
That's why 4500 people are in Vegas, to get a discount on the boosters :p

~

OutlandishMatt
06-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Registration was $60 for 6 packs. The set was meant for limited play and I hate them for making it a limited print run because now we have everyone charging twice as much for packs! Packs at my local store are $13, boxes (24 packs) are $300.

They went for the Tarmogoyf but stayed for the gambling, strippers, and buffets.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 01:07 AM
And to think that they printed MM to make the format more accessible to new players; somebody, somewhere must be laughing

Rtsands45
06-23-2013, 01:11 AM
And to think that they printed MM to make the format more accessible to new players; somebody, somewhere must be laughing

Yea, WotC, all they do is print dollar bills. And I thought only the US Treasury could do that...

tautologico
06-23-2013, 08:49 AM

It's a hard balance to keep, Wizards remembers very well the Chronicles fiasco and didn't want a repeat of that, so they went with these reprints carefully. It's better for them to keep the print limited and maybe later print more than to overprint and piss off collectors and traders. As they said, Modern Masters was an experiment. I think they can classify the experiment as successful, so we'll see how things go, but I think other reprint sets with wider availability (though not as available as standard sets, of course) are a possibility.

On topic: drafting MMA is so much fun. Didn't try sealed though.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 09:26 AM
It's a hard balance to keep, Wizards remembers very well the Chronicles fiasco and didn't want a repeat of that, so they went with these reprints carefully. It's better for them to keep the print limited and maybe later print more than to overprint and piss off collectors and traders. As they said, Modern Masters was an experiment. I think they can classify the experiment as successful, so we'll see how things go, but I think other reprint sets with wider availability (though not as available as standard sets, of course) are a possibility.

On topic: drafting MMA is so much fun. Didn't try sealed though.

If collectors was their excuse then they could print those cards white bordered; no collector would bother with wb tarmogoyfs, and black bordered ones would have kept their value . Chronicles failed, not only because it was overprinted, but because it didn't capitalize on ppl's needs to specific cards; the only playable card in the whole set was city of brass.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Still it's an awesome limited format. No doubt about that!

tautologico
06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
If collectors was their excuse then they could print those cards white bordered; no collector would bother with wb tarmogoyfs, and black bordered ones would have kept their value . Chronicles failed, not only because it was overprinted, but because it didn't capitalize on ppl's needs to specific cards; the only playable card in the whole set was city of brass.

Chronicles was also a huge problem with collectors and game shop owners that saw some of their cards drop drastically in value after it released. Many threatened to abandon the game, it was a PR nightmare for Wizards.

With demand for MMA being so high, they could print and sell double what they have printed, with the same price. To WOTC it does not matter if shops sell a box for $300 or $200, the markup is added by the seller due to demand, but the seller pays the same to WOTC regardless. So for WOTC it would be better to print more, but they're being careful.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Chronicles was also a huge problem with collectors and game shop owners that saw some of their cards drop drastically in value after it released. Many threatened to abandon the game, it was a PR nightmare for Wizards.

With demand for MMA being so high, they could print and sell double what they have printed, with the same price. To WOTC it does not matter if shops sell a box for $300 or $200, the markup is added by the seller due to demand, but the seller pays the same to WOTC regardless. So for WOTC it would be better to print more, but they're being careful.

I wonder why there was such an uproar for chronicles, since none of the money cards of that time was reprinted;

Anyway imho what should matter for wotc is the well being of the game; and that is only accomplished by making formats more accessible to players by keeping the prices of entry down; this can be achieved without neglecting collector's by printing cards in white border or by changing the artwork (they do this in some extent)

Punk
06-23-2013, 03:35 PM

I am not sure if this is accurate.. at least I hope not..

My suspicion was that they needed to reprint some Future Sight cards that were too powerful to release back into standard formats (such as goyf). This counts as that cards guaranteed "Future Reprint" and they will not be legal in standard.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 04:12 PM

My suspicion was that they needed to reprint some Future Sight cards that were too powerful to release back into standard formats (such as goyf). This counts as that cards guaranteed "Future Reprint" and they will not be legal in standard.

I was talking about Modern (MM=Modern Masters), not standard; all those cards were reprinted with Modern in mind, in a sense that since more of those cards will be available, the price will lower (or u get to open some in boosters), and thus the entrance barrier ($) to the format will be less costly.

tautologico
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Cards in Future Sight did not have a guaranteed appearance in future sets. Some would just reference some keyword or mechanic that would only appear later. Tarmogoyf was the first reference to the "Planeswalker" card type, before there were planeswalker cards. This happened with many other cards in the set.

Rtsands45
06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I wonder why there was such an uproar for chronicles, since none of the money cards of that time was reprinted;

Anyway imho what should matter for wotc is the well being of the game; and that is only accomplished by making formats more accessible to players by keeping the prices of entry down; this can be achieved without neglecting collector's by printing cards in white border or by changing the artwork (they do this in some extent)

The money cards back then were what we call Timmy cards big over costed dragons the Eld Dragon Legends were the money cards back then. Each well over 40 dollars. The reprints brought the, below 20.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 06:24 PM
The money cards back then were what we call Timmy cards big over costed dragons the Eld Dragon Legends were the money cards back then. Each well over 40 dollars. The reprints brought the, below 20.

Who in his right mind would have paid $40 for the unplayable Elder Dragon Legends is beyond me; well collectors might, but for them buying cards is an investment; well sometimes investments don't pay off :P

Tathel
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
*sold of his dark confidant before MM drops it's value*

At any rate one thing watching the vegas coverage has made me think is: Wow will Hex coverage be way smoother.

The amount of time they have to go on break or stall out because of shuffling or registering decks etc.
Sure we will still have the 30 minute clock on deck building and breaks to let players breath a little.
But no *shuffle for 5 minutes, mulligan, shuffle for 5 minutes, mulligan, shuffle for 5 minutes*

Rtsands45
06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Who in his right mind would have paid $40 for the unplayable Elder Dragon Legends is beyond me; well collectors might, but for them buying cards is an investment; well sometimes investments don't pay off :P

Hey man you have to realize Shivan Dragon was a $20 card back in the day as well. People weren't as in tune with power creep and mana curves.