PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Cryptozoic (to thank them for creating Hex)

Ertzi
06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
(I tried to find an avenue for contacting Cryptozoic directly, but couldn't find one, so I will be content with an open letter. I just want someone at the company to know how much I love Hex already, so here is hoping they read the forums often and that this might cheer them up a bit or give them some small amount of joy.)

Haider!
Erm... I mean...
Dear Cryptozoic,

I feel that I have to thank you, the developers, personally. I can't even say how excited I am for this game. This concept is something that I can say I have waited for my entire gaming life. In fact, if I were a developer (sadly I suck at all things computer-y), this is a game I would have probably tried to make myself.

My only regret is that I simply didn't know about this game until very recently, otherwise I would have thrown cash at it on Kickstarter like my life depended on it. I am a Slacker Backer now of course, so anything I can do to help :)
But I can still offer my admiration and support.

I have played all sorts of obscure turn-based strategy games all my life (currently playing Gungnir). I play TCGs of course as well, otherwise I might not be here. Finally someone creates a game that is MY game in every sense of the word. This concept resonates with me like nothing else has ever done. I have always been searching for a digital version of a TCG that would have story elements and a world of its own to complement the awesome gameplay. And let's be frank, not many things can compete with a good TCG in terms of gameplay depth because of the sheer amount of pieces that can be combined alone. Many games have the gameplay, but never have these two things been fused in such an awe-inspiring way.

I can honestly say that I will stop playing Guild Wars 2 (which is an awesome game, and sorry to mention another game by name, but I am making a point) for Hex as soon as it launches. I am a more methodical, tactical person and I don't like the hectic nature of basic MMOs too much, so I have always searched for something like this. And now it is finally here. I can see myself playing this game for years and years, and I will try to get all my friends play it too, so it will never go away. I am a collector by nature, so cards that collect data of their usage and gain levels and equipment is just... *mind blown*

Thank you once again, for having the vision and courage to create something so unique and fascinating. Like you guys, I am most excited about the response the Kickstarter campaign got. I always wondered if there were many players like me out there. Now I know. People have been expecting something like this for a long time. Long may it continue. All hail the new king of MMOs! (oops, too much pressure?)

I can't wait for the Alpha and Beta.
Yours truly,

Ertzi, Finland

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Bravo, glad to have you.

Auriok
06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
We have small group of finnish players. (+5 grand king/pro player)
We will make finnish guild when the game launches. Feel free to contact me if you want to be part of it.
(We have secret facebook page but shhhh its secret)

Ertzi
06-23-2013, 10:54 AM
We have small group of finnish players. (+5 grand king/pro player)
We will make finnish guild when the game launches. Feel free to contact me if you want to be part of it.
(We have secret facebook page but shhhh its secret)

Very cool. I will most certainly do that. Thanks for the offer.

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
viheliäinen suomalaisia ​​ja heidän salaiset seurat

Gridian
06-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, the only real difference I can see between me and Ertzi is that I was fortunate to find the Kickstarter in time to pledge.
So I can and will wholeheartedly sign this letter as well!

Cheers for Cryptozoic!
Hipp
Hipp
Hooray!

:D

Punk
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Looks like a good addition to the already great community.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow suddenly the community become enriched by one single post; Welcome to the forums sir :)

TheKraken
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
This is what I'm talking about - great community & can't wait for Alpha as well! We are all itching - thank goodness this game was in development for 2 years before the kickstarter! The next 2 months can't go by fast enough.

BlindMan
06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Second this and welcome to the community!

Chance
06-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Good read, sorry to hear about your misfortune

I'm curious why the tcg genre seems to have a more positive, logical community. I think a large factor would be the buy in price coupled with the fact the genre was popular way back when so the average age of a tcg player is higher.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 12:16 PM

I'm curious why the tcg genre seems to have a more positive, logical community. I think a large factor would be the buy in price coupled with the fact the genre was popular way back when so the average age of a tcg player is higher.

Yeap u pretty much replied to urself; tcg's and hex in particular is designed with mature audience in mind; Cory himself has stated multiple times that he wanted to build a game for the ppl that wanted to play a card game but didn't have the time to drive 2 hours to be able to, due to other obligations (work, family etc). Not only that but tcgs in general have a higher cost than many games to play and maintain, and therefore become more appealing to ppl that have a standard income.

Justinkp
06-23-2013, 12:23 PM

I also suspect it has to do with the fact that tcg's require logical thought, analysis and focus to do well so the community is likely to display these qualities.

Justin

Chance
06-23-2013, 12:38 PM
There are a lot of genres that require logical thought and rigorous analysis that are riddled with bad attitudes. RTS for example but I chalk that up to the high stress environment. I don't think I answered my question fully and I posed it along with a self response to stimulate more in depth conversation. One of my biggest concerns is how population will have an affect on the community. So far we've managed to oust out bad apples with sheer numbers but with the f2p mechanics I could see it tipping the other way. I've derailed this thread hard but OPs letter and the feedback he received was a shining example of how I'd like to keep it.

XagoTrunk
06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Haider!
Erm... I mean...
Dear Cryptozoic,

https://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/853/fxo.gif

Qorsair
06-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the community, Ertzi!

maniza
06-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Maybe it has to do with the fact that alot of ppl in the comunity are used to tcg cominities, witch are in general nicer than online game comunities due to the fact that you have to actualy interact with ppl in tcgs. Maybe cryptos nice ways are infectious. Could have something to do with ks. On a personal note this is the first game for me in witch i actualy feel like part of a comunity.

hammer
06-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Well said OP and welcome. Seems like lots of slacker backer going on now which is great for the health of the game, maybe we can get some official numbers on Friday with a 3 million $ stretch goal to entice more t-shirts and slackers :-)

fitzle
06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Very nice thoughts OP, Thank you for sharing them!

Yoss
06-23-2013, 07:59 PM
+100 to the OP

Consider me a signatory of this letter!

Justinkp
06-23-2013, 10:11 PM
There are a lot of genres that require logical thought and rigorous analysis that are riddled with bad attitudes. RTS for example but I chalk that up to the high stress environment. I don't think I answered my question fully and I posed it along with a self response to stimulate more in depth conversation. One of my biggest concerns is how population will have an affect on the community. So far we've managed to oust out bad apples with sheer numbers but with the f2p mechanics I could see it tipping the other way. I've derailed this thread hard but OPs letter and the feedback he received was a shining example of how I'd like to keep it.

I'm not familiar with RTS communities or even other TCG communities, mostly MMO communities. Are other digital TCG communities of a similar quality to this one? I've been on a lot of forums and this is one of the best game communities I've witnessed and I've been trying to figure out why. Part of it I think may be due to the game being announced recently and the alpha/beta coming pretty quickly-most MMO communities at this point usually would have been waiting 2-3 years and experienced a couple of delays which starts having a negative impact on the community. Also much of the community was part of a highly successful kickstarter which I suspect drew people together as many feel like they're a part of something big from the very beginning.

If other digital TCG's have communities as good as this one then those hypotheses likely have minimal effect and there would seem to be something inherent in the genre. I wouldn't think age and income would be primary factors as I've seen ugly communities where the posters seemed older and well to do. Perhaps the level of investment that TCG's require has something to do with it, I don't know, I just find it interesting.

I too worry about population. Once the beta starts the initial positive community could be washed away by a flood of new posters if the population suddenly multiplies by 10-100. We'll see.

Justin

wayne
06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I too worry about population. Once the beta starts the initial positive community could be washed away by a flood of new posters if the population suddenly multiplies by 10-100. We'll see.

Justin

Well, we have 17,000 ppl who are excited for Hex, who also haven't lost a game of Hex to some broken combo or whatnot. Add to that new post-kickstarter players who will start with a chip on their shoulder once they see the rewards they missed out on, and sure, some positivity may indeed be diluted at that point.

That being said, I completely agree with OPs points. When I heard about Hex, it was like discovering something I didn't know I had been waiting for since I quit MTG. In fact, I'm selling all of those decade-old MTG cards in preparation for what I know will be my new Hex habit.

Rapkannibale
06-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Excellent post! I also wholeheartedly agree with the OP and share the same sentiments.

Well said and welcome to the community!

keldrin
06-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Nice comments. And welcome to the community.
And yes, when free to play opens, some people will walk in, that aren't as nice and logical.
But, we will also see a lot of really cool appreciative people, who like the chance to play in this genre that won't cost them a arm and a leg to play. It really will put trading card games within reach of people on a more limited budget.
Getting into a good guild, in my opinion, helps guarantee you will have people to play with, of similar mind, to make sure you have a great over all game experience.
There are several great guilds getting rolling now, and probably more will spring up when alpha and beta starts.