PDA

View Full Version : Did you pick Champion Tier?

Dragonzero
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Why or why not? I went champion mainly because it was the most I could convince my wife to let me pay on a game I cant even play yet. Getting past $50 was difficult, over a hundred....impossibru! Anyway, I'm greatfull I got in at all. So why and how did you end up where you are with your pledge?

TheMuffMuff
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
She's the one with the balls in that relationship? :D

I was champ too, than kind and at least grand king... cause hex will be gonna great!

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I wanted to grab 3 champions but I stuck with a GK+3 squires for extra Princess Cory's....

Those things are going to be worth A LOT eventually :-p

Dragonzero
06-23-2013, 04:29 PM
She's the one with the balls in that relationship? :D

I was champ too, than kind and at least grand king... cause hex will be gonna great!

If that's how you see it. We are planning for our future and we just bought our first home. Trying to keep everything within reason. She too, is very excited for this game but without anything tangible, its tough to pony up so much.

I know this will be a great game and if left to my own devises I'd spend far too much. It's good to have someone to help keep ya in check. If given another week I'm pretty sure I could have convinced her for the $120 though. :P

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
If that's how you see it. We are planning for our future and we just bought our first home.

My guess is a Producer tier is going to be worth more than your house when the next housing bubble pops... Just sayin you should prioritize what makes the most sense financially :-p

Lazybum
06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
My guess is a Producer tier is going to be worth more than your house when the next housing bubble pops... Just sayin you should prioritize what makes the most sense financially :-p

congrats on the producer that you got since it was such a good investment for the long haul

majin
06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
planning to buy warrior tier, got convinced champion is better, kept watching the KS and decided to invest in 2 kings (one for me and my wife) and 3 days before the end, decided I want a $250 tier (with a blessing from my wife) so I got a collector but luckily, I managed to snipe a pro tier few hours before the end

now, i'm hoping someone will sell me another king's tier before alpha or maybe swap my wife's king tier for a collector

sckolar
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON", a stupid idea to donate, because "If it is a good idea, someone with money will invest. This is just a way to rip people off of their money, when they do not even know what they are donating for (not completely anyway)" He repeated this, and I learned that to some degree he is right. It is not a good idea to donate TOO MUCH (unless you are rich and have money or something) when you do not know what the experience will be like until you experience it yourself. So, my original idea was to donate around $100, but after that I settled for the Squire Tier. A tier that will get me some stuff, and at least beta. Seemed to even out pretty well. What I don't understand is why ANYONE would donate into the thousands. It doesn't seem like the greatest idea, unless you have money to waste. I can understand playing it, and then loving it sooo much that you want to buy tons of stuff, but just to donate thousands right off the bat doesn't make sense to me. Say you wanted to collect as many cards as you possibly can, would you really have fun doing it if you just donate thousands, and are given them right off the bat? That makes part of the game over for you right from the start! Again, these are some of my opinions, but to conclude, yeah I just settled for Squire. My uncle may be wise in many ways, but the one thing that I have that he doesn't, is the knowledge that when you purchase a video game, whether you like the game or not, it's gonna be a shot in the dark. You are either going to pay $60 for a game you love, or it will suck, and you will hate it, wasting $60, and this is the same thing, you have to take the chance, and hope it is as good as you thought it would be.

Prism
06-23-2013, 05:07 PM
blakegrandon's cash grab shit should be removed from his sig. disgusting.

XagoTrunk
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON".
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/203/3v7v.jpg

and you listened to him?

sckolar
06-23-2013, 05:11 PM
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/203/3v7v.jpg

and you listened to him?

Why not? He isn't totally wrong. Are you telling me that when you see some teasers of the game, and some videos, without personal experience, you should just blindly donate loads of money? Even videos don't give you the real experience. I don't think you even read the entire post. I suggest thinking deeply before the post you just made. At least voice an opinion, rather than insult me.

Brumby66
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
@Sckolar

I'm pretty sure that Crypto could get the funding, but the way they did it was brilliant. It increased awareness of the game and got a large influx of people who will have an investment in the game. This means that these people will provide a solid foundation. I wouldn't drop a lot of money on something I thought was going to flop. The success of the ks and publicity were good indicators that this would be a good choice. As for people getting every card, to you and I that may seem absurd, but other people value different things. People who want to do constructed will have the freedom to craft any deck they please. There are also the other side who think they will make the money back and then some through piecing it out.

jgsugden
06-23-2013, 05:14 PM
My guess is a Producer tier is going to be worth more than your house when the next housing bubble pops... Just sayin you should prioritize what makes the most sense financially :-pSomething that you are not allowed to sell has limited, if any, worth to others. The Terms of Service will not allow for accounts to be sold. As such, whoever buys one in a secondary market runs the risk that they'll lose their purchase if Crypt uncovers the sale - and they will likely put a little effort to look into those people that bought $250+ accounts. If they see evidence that the accounts are being used by people with mismatched information - stuff that doesn't match any of the information we have (and will) provide to them, they may just shut them down and only allow the person that paid for it to reopen it - if they allow anyone to reopen it.

I'm sure some accounts will be sold. And I'm sure the buyers will get away with it for a while, and the sellers will walk away with a nice profit. However, I wouldn't buy one for more than pennies on the dollar if I was going to buy one at all. Not with the risk that I could pay out cash and end up with nothing.

sckolar
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
@Sckolar

I'm pretty sure that Crypto could get the funding, but the way they did it was brilliant. It increased awareness of the game and got a large influx of people who will have an investment in the game. This means that these people will provide a solid foundation. I wouldn't drop a lot of money on something I thought was going to flop. The success of the ks and publicity were good indicators that this would be a good choice. As for people getting every card, to you and I that may seem absurd, but other people value different things. People who want to do constructed will have the freedom to craft any deck they please. There are also the other side who think they will make the money back and then some through piecing it out.

Everyone is different, yeah. So you are right.

Lazybum
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Why not? He isn't totally wrong. Are you telling me that when you see some teasers of the game, and some videos, without personal experience, you should just blindly donate loads of money? Even videos don't give you the real experience. I don't think you even read the entire post. I suggest thinking deeply before the post you just made. At least voice an opinion, rather than insult me.

you almost sound bitter that you couldnt afford to back with more money, i could be wrong just the way i see it. sure some backed with alot more then others its just how much they are excited for this game to succeed. I for one have about $1k pledged and i really am looking forward to this game

DjiN
06-23-2013, 05:25 PM
@sckolar:

Your uncle just told you its a bad idea to buy 200$ with 100$... well smart advice. oO

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 05:32 PM
@sckolar:

Your uncle just told you its a bad idea to buy 200$ with 100$... well smart advice. oO

While he most probably sits on a GK and u ended up with a squire. You call it good advice , i called it diversion :P

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
blakegrandon's cash grab shit should be removed from his sig. disgusting.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. By that logic Hex's kickstarter was a "cash grab".

Seriously, if you have a problem with my IGG you can just ignore my posts.

Anyways, I wish I could have afforded Producer, was just musing that it probably has more long-term value than a lot of investments :-p.

HyenaNipples
06-23-2013, 06:22 PM
The Uncle is right in the sense that the game could suck. It could be a Star Trek Online or a Star Wars Galaxies.

I'm a champion, just because I wanted the special Starter deck. And early King for 90 bucks was gone- since it was mostly PvE stuff after Champion, I didn't go any further.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Anyways, I wish I could have afforded Producer, was just musing that it probably has more long-term value than a lot of investments :-p.

It 'cheapens' however u game experience in a sense that when u are handed everything, there is nothing to strive for. And the value of an account is relative, since selling it is against cze's TOS

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
It 'cheapens' however u game experience in a sense that when u are handed everything, there is nothing to strive for. And the value of an account is relative, since selling it is against cze's TOS

Yes, but you could sell the cards, and over the course of a few years easily get back the $10k.

When I was growing up I had access to every card for MTG. That didn't cheapen the experience at all because most of the game is about strategy and playing the game itself, not necessarily obtaining the packs.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM

It's more a business investment. Just sell all the cards. If the game is successful you'll turn in profits after a couple of years until the game dies. High risk high reward scenario =) Could get yourself just a normal GK or so to play the game.

GreyGriffin
06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
The game could be awful. But where he was wrong is that "If it's good, people will give it money." Sadly, that's not how investment works. Big business investment in media - Publishing, distribution, and production - is all about mass appeal and guaranteed returns. A game like Hex, which pushes boundaries by being an all digital card game with a large PvE component, is about as far from convention as you can get. Combine that with the massive overhead of databasing every card, maintaining MMO servers, designing a top tier AI, and if any of these elements goes south, the whole thing goes belly up. That's too much risk for not enough reward to the big boys.

Look at MTGO. It has what, 300,000 subscribers? For an MMO that is small potatoes. Stack on top of that the unconventional presentation (no 3d avatars traipsing around a fully rendered worlds), the lack of graphical wow will send video game publishers running for the hills.

For a long time, your Uncle was wrong, but now with direct funding from interested consumers, he's wrapped around to being right again. If it's a good idea, somebody will give it money. We thought it was a good idea. So we gave it money.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:48 PM
For a long time, your Uncle was wrong, but now with direct funding from interested consumers, he's wrapped around to being right again. If it's a good idea, somebody will give it money. We thought it was a good idea. So we gave it money.

Therein lies the rub because even if it's a great idea, it's still high risk, otherwise investors would give money. :-p

Also just because it's a good idea doesn't mean it's a legitimate project, each project has to be looked at very carefully, if you look at the kobe beef scam it had over 3,000 backers and was an hour away from being funded, with only 2-3 people(myself being one of them) questioning the legitimacy.

I'm confident Cryptozoic can deliver, that doesn't mean the risk isn't there, I'm just confident that they'll do their best to deliver.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Comparing CZE with Kobe Beef... another advice from your uncle?

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Comparing CZE with Kobe Beef... another advice from your uncle?

You're getting me and the other guy mixed up. I'm just saying there is always risk even if there are a lot of backers and a lot of money being dropped on a crowdfunded project.

sckolar
06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
you almost sound bitter that you couldnt afford to back with more money

And what exactly is that supposed to mean? Or perhaps, I consider it smarter to not do so right away as a personal preference, and if it is worth it, I will put more in later. Is there a problem with that? You almost sounded like you jumped to conclusion, without facts. On the other hand, congrats, I am glad that you are excited for the game as I am, and it is good that you are confident in your decision.

GreyGriffin
06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Of course it's a risk. That's what mediums like Kickstarters allow, though, is higher risk projects where the risk is distributed directly among interested (typically) consumers. Rather than having to pitch innovative concepts with high potentially overhead and then having them eviscerated by publishers who want to make them "safe," developers can build interest and enthusiasm in the idea, and then live or die on the execution.

Shadowelf
06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
It's more a business investment. Just sell all the cards. If the game is successful you'll turn in profits after a couple of years until the game dies. High risk high reward scenario =) Could get yourself just a normal GK or so to play the game.

You are most probably right, its just that i'm not $10k farsighted especially for non tangible rewards (lots of ifs in this case-if the game goes well, if they will implement a RMAH so i can cash out, if there will be a decent market etc)

Zomnivore
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I picked collector tier, because I thought it gave me the best value after PP and PP wasn't in stock.

I did look at getting another tier to get another set of pvp aa cards, but decided not to, and went for another squire tier for friends etc and because I knew I wanted a full set of princess cory for pve.

I hope that this petty bickering stuff can quit.

Personally I've supported games that haven't been very good *mechwarriorf2p* and felt a little put off, but mechwarrior is something I love and I decided that I could risk being exploited if it helped a franchise that I dearly love.

Hextcg looked like a great solid online card game, I looked at magic's ui and thought that naa I'll just bet big on Hex.

I think that I can get good value out of the tier I have, and at the end of the day, 250 for what I'm getting is great and if I can't make my money back, oh well, it looks like I'm going to be getting great content from a great company.

I agree that there can be exploitation and success can make someone less liable to listen to their fan base and more liable to get the best bang per buck, because they can cash out.

I've seen it happen and its a shame, but that's life.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
developers can build interest and enthusiasm in the idea, and then live or die on the execution.

But theoretically it's not the developers that live or die on the execution, it's the "customers" who invested in the project.

Not very many people memorize the names of the people behind the development studios(certain names notwithstanding, IE Cory, Molyneaux, and a couple others), most people will just remember if a studio failed to perform, and studios get bought out, people leave, and turnover happens all the time.

I'm not saying that Cryptozoic won't deliver, I'm just saying it's a lot higher risk than people make it out to be.

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Something that you are not allowed to sell has limited, if any, worth to others.
Have you ever heard of drugs? Illicit substances, outlawed trade of any kind? Things you are not allowed to sell generally have more value than they would otherwise. Likewise there are plenty of downsides to dealing in them and buying them... Still happens.

GreyGriffin
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Personally I've supported games that haven't been very good *mechwarriorf2p* and felt a little put off, but mechwarrior is something I love and I decided that I could risk being exploited if it helped a franchise that I dearly love.

I also invested in MWO and found it wanting. But I decided to have faith in their ability to execute and it didn't turn out great. But I am not out millions of dollars as an individual (or entity).

If taking risks and putting some money down is what it takes to move the medium forwards, then I am glad to contribute. If the cost of that is buying a handful of bad games at inflated prices? Well... it's all a question of how you value the experience and the medium.

If not expecting a monetary return for a monetary contribution and putting some dollars down on an experience I think deserves to be explored makes me gullible, well... ...I guess I am, then.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
You're getting me and the other guy mixed up.

Oupsie! Sry :)

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Oupsie! Sry :)

It happens, no big deal.

I don't agree with the guy's uncle that this isn't worth "investing" in, but I do have serious doubts about the future of crowdfunding after the kobe beef scam and then the ATG book that got funded.

I'm glad Hex's kickstarter were before those two, otherwise I may have skipped it entirely.

mainstager
06-23-2013, 07:32 PM
If that's how you see it. We are planning for our future and we just bought our first home.

If you both decide you want to work with a financial planner, and want one who also plays Hex, give me a shout.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 07:36 PM
If you both decide you want to work with a financial planner, and want one who also plays Hex, give me a shout.

I know that wasn't intended for me, but the last thing I would want to do while playing Hex would be to interact with my financial planner! :-p

yovalord
06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
@sckolar

From the sounds of it, your uncle is ignorant to what Kickstarter is, and the statistics on Hex and Cryptozoic are. From the sounds of things, he's an older guy with an adamant view on how things work. You listening to his advice probably didn't do either of you very good. You didnt learn his lesson because you only took his word for it, and you quite frankly lost out. If you had stuck with the higher donation, you would have proved him wrong, and learned that your elders are not always right. Or maybe im wrong, there is the possibility that hex well flop and he will be right, but at this point, there is very little chance of that happening.

However, if you spending 100$ on hex would be devastating to your living funds (well in that case you shouldn't even be paying for internet). Getting into the hex PvP scene will likely cost the average player around 250$ per set. With the squire tier im afraid you will have a hard time achieving much in PvP on that alone.

Lazybum
06-23-2013, 07:57 PM
And what exactly is that supposed to mean? Or perhaps, I consider it smarter to not do so right away as a personal preference, and if it is worth it, I will put more in later. Is there a problem with that? You almost sounded like you jumped to conclusion, without facts. On the other hand, congrats, I am glad that you are excited for the game as I am, and it is good that you are confident in your decision.

didnt mean to offend ya, last thing i want to do is make enemies before the game is even out, just said what i thought and that was all. nothing wrong with putting money in early or more later on either way we all want to see this game succeed

mainstager
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I know that wasn't intended for me, but the last thing I would want to do while playing Hex would be to interact with my financial planner! :-p

Client interactions are strictly confidential ;)

sckolar
06-23-2013, 08:06 PM
didnt mean to offend ya, last thing i want to do is make enemies before the game is even out, just said what i thought and that was all. nothing wrong with putting money in early or more later on either way we all want to see this game succeed

Yeah, I guess I was jumping to conclusion too. Sorry, man.

Lazybum
06-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I guess I was jumping to conclusion too. Sorry, man.

all is good, no one lost an eye

Lazybum
06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
opps double post

Justinkp
06-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON", a stupid idea to donate, because "If it is a good idea, someone with money will invest. This is just a way to rip people off of their money.

With the amount of work already done on the game it probably would have been fairly easy to get investment money but then they would have had to give up total control, possibly even majority control depending on how much they got from a single investor and how many people were interested. Doing it this way they maintained full control and kept all the profits (personally to give at producer tier level I would have wanted at least half a percent of profits ;) )

Justin

Parzival
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Since this thread was derailed, I'll go back to DragonZero's original question.

I came in about mid way PP was already sold out so was EK, one of my Kickstarters, think it was Torment kicked them forward. Started at Captian, reckoned it was good value - and Princess Victoria is hot :o

Checked twice and realised that Knight was a no brainer, the additional booster packs alone covered it. (Insert Cory in his cheesy salesman suit "You see you just need them to bite, one bite is all it takes" )

Eyed out Champion and thought nope, too big a jump, couple more booster packs, yeah dragon deck but really dragon's are overdone - right?

But then I was reading all those juicy updates and insidious articles on the website and before I knew it Salesman Cory was swinging his gold watch before my saucepan eyes and I hear myself talking in a monotone voice "So if I take Dungeon Crawler I have double loot drops for life?" and I thought there was no way the MoF was going to agree to this but a smoking habit coupled with Ipad in app purchase guilt bought me "It's okay honey, it's your money too." no seriously she actually said that!

But then, oh Cory you are good, curse you :( it was the last hours, my will was weak.

DragoZero we need to work on your MoF (Mistress of Finance) manipulation skills (it of course helps that I am still renting otherwise this conversation would never have taken place).

Indulge me as I copy a transcript I wrote for my guild.

So I was weak, last day and all.

"Babes, I'll wash dishes and give you a foot message."

"What do you want?"

"Well you know that little card game I pledged, well it's the last day and all and I want to up my pledge."

"No way, we have a house deposit to save up for blah, blah (insert silly financial issues here)"

"I won't kickstart for a year." Insert big brown doe eyes here.

Her face softens a little, (Heh I have you now), and it hardens just as quick. (so close!)

"Babes no, you have spent enough."

Time to break out the acting skills.

"I know, it's okay I will be happy with what I have. Oh by the way, my hard drive has failed and before we pickup monster we need to stop at a computer shop so I can get a new one."

"Fine but you can't spend money on cards and a hard drive." (Darth Vader I have you now voice)

"So if I have a spare hard drive, I can buy my cards?" (It's almost too easy, she knows she's defeated, I happily pull out one of my older spares and start working on it.)

Guess I'm not kickstarting for a year but with a year of drafts that should tie me over until my current kickstarters are released. I just have to sink 500 hours into Hex to break even :p

DisOrd3r
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
If you fell you did the right thing, then you did ^^
There is no right and wrong in this matter :)

GreyGriffin
06-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Also returning to the OP, I chose Collector for much the same reason as the post above. The cunning tiered pricing just tempted me upwards in tiny increments, and once I had keyed in for those pretty artworks I had second thoughts, but just couldn't back down.

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
My thought process went something like this... GK looks amazing! Yes please... all done.

CZE: You guys can stack this stuff and we will merge it all together! YAYAYAYA..
Me:....Seriously? Why would you do that to me...

Okay, I'll take a PP...

And another PP....

And another GK....

And you know what, lets just throw 2 collectors onto the pile too...

Man stacking was such a good idea...

Apparition
06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
King, because PP was gone and Spectral Lotus Garden is a must have if you're raiding, imo. Will probably make your money back if you quit and sell it too, unless the game tanks.

volkmar77
06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
I went for King, but originally was stopped at Champion too.

Then my wife went for King and pointed out about the Lotus and how it is the first permanent for life reward and I re-thought my priorities and went for King as there was no way I could take one of the 250 $ tiers.

In games such as HEX, the boosters and packs are only this much important because you know in 2 years, set 3 will be out and your set 1 cards will be out of the competitive circuit, so reducing their value to some degree. The lotus, however, will be as good in 2, 5, 10 years as it is good now. Yes, it is usable only in PvE, but still :)

As for skolar's uncle, he is a bit old fashioned but I cannot say he is wrong. Originally, Kickstarter was a way for smaller companies to gain investment. In that case, your uncle would be wrong cause good idea or not, if the kickstarter would not be successful, that's it. Now it still is after a fashion, it is a great tool for developers to retain 100% creative freedom, BUT keep in mind we do not yet know how good as tool it is. Neither the devs know that yet.

Most kickstarter projects since when KS became very popular (with the Double Fine adventure game kickstarter making over 3 million dollars) have yet to achieve their goals. Some are coming out right now, but we still do not know if the amount gained by the devs was enough for it to be a viable business tool.

Also as it gained popularity, KS started to be used for pre-purchase options instead than as an investment tool. In this second case, your uncle is surely right.

Personally I love KS and I think HEX's case was more of the first than the latter, so your "donation" is an investment without which HEX would not exist and as such it carries all the risks and rewards of an investment.

However KS is a young tool and the jury is still out on how useful it really is, so it might all go down in a puff of smoke.

majin
06-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON", a stupid idea to donate, because "If it is a good idea, someone with money will invest.

i am someone who haven't pledge on KS before this. I do think like your uncle but I did consider / check a lot of things before I put in a lot in the game

1. how long will it take for the game to be out?

most KS gets funding first before they even start developing the product. is this the same for CZE? Nope, the game has been in development for almost 2 years now (I believe it's 2+ years as of today). and beta is expected to come out 3 months after the KS

2. Is the company capable of producing something this EPIC as it seems too good to be true, MMO + RPG + TCG (as most still consider this as RPGTCG rather than MMOTCG but that is on another thread)?

Hell yeah, i did my research and found out that the company have already produced a lot of TCG http://cryptozoic.com/games

3. How about the MMO / RPG part of the game?

They got Cory's good friend Kevin Jordan who was 1 out of the 3 original designer of WoW and we all know about WoW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArUB9lzovro

4. But I am still worried about the software? Is it still in development, how long will it take to finish?

It is still in pre alpha but it is already working as we all saw on twitch and on E3. like Cory said on of the interview, it is still in pre alpha but you can actually use it as it is and you can play with it

5. How about the lifespan of the game? Will there be new sets? How often will it be released?

During the KS period, set 2 is already on the play testing mode. it was also mentioned that they are looking forward to thursday that week on one of the twitch video as it will be the first time they will be drafting using set 2. So as early as the KS period, I am already assured that if they release the game at summer 2014, they already have set 2 ready in waiting and have probably worked on set 3 and 4 by that time.

6. How about features? If this is the EPIC game that I want, I don't want it to have minimal feature

Again, they didn't disappoint, the features are
- dungeons, I think 40 dungeons at the release
- raids where you can fight with 2 more of your friends
- equipment that literally boost / change the way you play
- lots of equipments to farm 1500 - 1800 on set 1 alone
- keep defense
- casual pvp
- tourneys
- drafts
- auction house
- arena
- talent trees and mercs
- double back feature on cards

7. how about future features? did they thought that far ahead?

yes, Cory already mentioned they are planning on:
- organizing world championships
- RMAH (or similar)
- HexCon (future plan as the details are still being finalized)

8. Ok, I'm sold but how can they be sure they can balance the PvP?

this will answer it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jqNJfr_9U and they already have track records on TCGs and tourneys

9. Ok, this game seems to be great, how about the KS rewards, am I getting cheated?

NOT factoring the PvE and PvP cards, the account perks, the equipments, the merc card, the sleeves, the lotus - this will show you what you are getting as REWARD for helping out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq5x4_DeZngPdGdVTXdDWkplWjcyNmtYalEzWWdOb 2c#gid=0

10. Do I feel CZE needed my money to launch the game?

A BIG NO! the game is already in development for almost 2 years. the stretch rewards are getting knocked down one by one every day while I am just watching it. I also feel that they only did the KS to get more attention to the game as beta is almost out.

It did speed things up and allowed them to add more features before the launch but I don't believe a second that the game won't be out if they didn't do the KS. they kept it hush hush as the idea is very fresh, NO ONE had thought of it and (for me) they are afraid some big company might stole the idea and launch a game like hex before they do.

So why should I pledge? it about investing in something I believe in, something that I crave and something I know will succeed.

If you did your due diligence and research about the project and the people behind it, you won't probably listen to your uncle. but again, it's still just my personal opinion

jaxsonbateman
06-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Fortunately, I'm not too bad-off, so I initially pledged DC after finding out about the KS too late to get my preferred tiers (GK and PP). Over the course of the next week I was tossing up between RL and Collector, and finally settled on RL in order to have the tools necessary to be at the top of the PvE game (and it doesn't hurt my PvP game at all anyway :-P).

On the last day, I cracked and bought a Collector aswell. A playset of Lotuses a day was too tempting, as are the super-rare AA cards.

keldrin
06-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON", a stupid idea to donate, because "If it is a good idea, someone with money will invest. This is just a way to rip people off of their money, when they do not even know what they are donating for (not completely anyway)" He repeated this, and I learned that to some degree he is right. It is not a good idea to donate TOO MUCH (unless you are rich and have money or something) when you do not know what the experience will be like until you experience it yourself. So, my original idea was to donate around $100, but after that I settled for the Squire Tier. A tier that will get me some stuff, and at least beta. Seemed to even out pretty well. What I don't understand is why ANYONE would donate into the thousands. It doesn't seem like the greatest idea, unless you have money to waste. I can understand playing it, and then loving it sooo much that you want to buy tons of stuff, but just to donate thousands right off the bat doesn't make sense to me. Say you wanted to collect as many cards as you possibly can, would you really have fun doing it if you just donate thousands, and are given them right off the bat? That makes part of the game over for you right from the start! Again, these are some of my opinions, but to conclude, yeah I just settled for Squire. My uncle may be wise in many ways, but the one thing that I have that he doesn't, is the knowledge that when you purchase a video game, whether you like the game or not, it's gonna be a shot in the dark. You are either going to pay $60 for a game you love, or it will suck, and you will hate it, wasting $60, and this is the same thing, you have to take the chance, and hope it is as good as you thought it would be.
OK, let me state, I invested in Star wars TCG. well over $1,000 into that game over the course of my collecting. I have gotten a chance to play that game 3 times. I love the game. Love the cards, but didn't have oppurtunities to play.
I bought into the Harry Potter TCG, couple of hundered dollars. Played about 5 times, before everyone quit playing.
I invested into hero clix. Somewhere around $500. Next thing I know, no one was playing it anymore. PLayed it about 20 games.
I invested into a warhammer 40K chaos army, about $300. Then the local players stopped playing before I even had my army painted.
I invested into modern micro armour. Played at that several games, until a year later, no one was playing anymore.
I have bought several $50+ board games that got played once, was fun, but no one wanted to play again.
Lets not talk about role playing games, buying all the books, to have the big campaign, last 2 or 3 sessions, before folding and never being played again.
So, to recap, this game may totally suck. BUT, I will have ample oppurtunities to play it. It will to a extent mimic a lot of the trading card games I have enjoyed, like magic the gathering.
I don't live close to anyone I can game with. Its a hour drive for me to get to a game.
Does this explain why I was willing to drop $500 into this?
And yeah, I get if your response is, "OH, I understand now. You're a idiot."
I think that myself sometimes when thinking about this.

blakegrandon
06-24-2013, 05:23 AM
I don't live close to anyone I can game with. Its a hour drive for me to get to a game.

I think it's time to consider moving... :-p

Or not investing so heavily in games that require you to drive an hour!

Hex was definitely a good call, I'm done with physical sit down RPG's, I used to play D&D,pathfinder, and rifts in person and usually it was within 15 minutes of my place, but the hauling of books, uncomfortable playing conditions usually, and constant breaks drove me nuts. Playing online is 20x easier with people able to eat what they want, having all the books at the tips of my finger with my stuff I use constantly digital and in spreadsheets, and just the convenience of playing from home.

Heck, Hex is a great investment when you realize you don't have to now "sort" and search through hundreds of card boxes just to build a deck and you no longer have to buy sleeves that inevitably break in a few months!
Hopefully Hex won't "monetize" sleeves more and make them degrade over time... I can see it now, not playing with sleeves? Your cards get "damaged" and have to be "repaired" using platinum, playing with sleeves? You'll need to repair those otherwise they could be destroyed.

AstaSyneri
06-24-2013, 05:36 AM
So, to recap, this game may totally suck. BUT, I will have ample oppurtunities to play it. It will to a extent mimic a lot of the trading card games I have enjoyed, like magic the gathering.

Similarly to Keldrin I bought many a CCG that interested me (Jyhad, Rage, Arcadia, Shadowfist, Doomtrooper, L5R, Warlord: Saga of the Storm, Spycraft, 7th Sea, Buffy (the only one not with real art), EVE: The Second Genesis, City of Heroes, and likely a few others that I don't remember anymore).

I had a lot of fun and don't regret it, but with the exception of Rage and Warlord I never got to play them enough (in my opinion) to warrant the expenditures. In the end it's not the quality of the game (unfortunately) that determines success, but the ability to play it when you want to play. With the demise of many fine FLAGs and the advent of online games (Everquest+ and Facebook) playing CCGs offline is a chore, even when not counting sorting, sleaving, resorting cards.

The past few years the CCG-type game I spent the most time on was Urban Rivals. It's quick, the boosters are comparatively cheap for what you can do with the characters, you can level your cards. The only disadvantage in that game is that you have to play PvP more or less, which really sucks when you don't have much time, can be called away from your desk at any minute, or only get playing time late at night when you are tired.

Now I have found Hex. I have almost 20 years experience in buying, sorting, collecting, deckbuilding, playing, demoing, selling and publishing CCGs. Before I backed Hex, I really looked critically at what I would get, with a few good questions very similar to those majin posted above.

CZE does have a track record of delivering CCGs (which is NOT easy).
Looking at what I call total cost of ownership the booster price is extremely fair and will most likely allow me to play the game the way I want it in a sustainable way. A booster price higher than $2 would probably have chased me away.
The prototype is already playable (as opposed to anything that for example Double Fine shows for its Massive Chalice game)
The game offers an extensive PvE experience (very important to me)
The game offers coop content (the raids - also very important to me)

After that I just watched the game gather steam for a while and committed to a Dungeon Crawler tier when that threatened to become scarce. The I found a guild of people who share my interest in joing PvE gaming and are fun to be around (even if only on the board at this point) and I added several tiers because my confidence in it was ever rising.

So yes, you need to be careful what you invest in. I only pledged $20 for Massive Chalice, because they have a track record for innovative gaming and a very neat idea (I love those games, but at this point Fallen Enchantress fills that gap).

I only pledged $20 because I don't like the way they market their idea - I want to see that they have done some design work, rather than playing XCOM online.

I pledged only $20 for Tug, because they failed to market their Kickstarter properly. Some innovative tiers and rewards would have netted them double their KS results, easily. Call it a failure in marketing.

Hex TCG by comparison did one of the best Kickstarters I have seen so far: Well thought out, well presented, offering a lot in value, and putting a lot of pressure on the consumer to pledge before they missed out on great deals.

They got in excess of $1000, which I consider a very reasonable amount of money for what I expect to get, based on my personal analysis of what is offered.

And the moral is: Life experience advice may be good, but taken out of context it may also be worthless. Make up your own mind based on your own criteria and afterwards don't second-guess it!

Dragonzero
06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
@Parzival, That story was exactly what I intended from this thread! It was very enjoyable!

like i said, If i had only had another week or even a few more days, I feel I would have gotten the same result. It's just that I learned about Hex with like less than a week to go. Often times when dealing with the "MoF", I'll tell her that I have already spent money on something I want, just to see her reaction and get her used to the idea before I actually make big purchases. Your hard drive trick is exactly the sort of thing I can see myself using!

I used to keep up with WoWTCG pretty hard, as in, buying a booster box and epic collection of every set at release, buying all the starters, drafting, ect., but when it came time to get "The dream house", I set aside my addiction so that we would be able to save every penny and get what she wanted. Now that we've been living here a few months, I made a few deals, cut off my WoW sub., managed to pre-order a next gen console and get back to a point that Hex can be something I can logically spend money on and keep up with.

I am by no means "rich". I'm happy, and I can afford to have some fun and pay the bills. The issue was that in terms of a new game with cards that are not tangible and the fact that it will be a few months maybe before I am able to even play the game. $85.00 was within reason. That's not to say I wouldn't have been more than happy to get that $120 or $250 option, because that would have been awesome. It's just that, for us getting the collectors edition of most games comes in around $85 and that's where my wife and I feel comfortable.

Congrats to all of you that are in the Kickstarter. I know that the investment on all the tiers will likely pay off in the end. I'm sure that after the game gets traction and is successful, many people will wish they were aware of the opportunity and had the chance to get in. I know that if something like this happened for WoW and I missed out on it, I'd be a sad panda.

Dragonzero
06-24-2013, 08:20 AM
I want to thank everyone who has positively participated in this thread. Most of you have well thought out and helpful responses. I can already see that the community will be awesome and I can’t wait to interact with you guys in the game!

@Mainstager Thanks for the offer man. I’ll keep that in mind :P

@Majin Thanks for the reply. VERY informative and well written.
Same goes for AstaSyneri, Keldrin , Jax and everyone else. You guys are great.

Justinkp
06-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Listening to people mention not feeling like they had enough time reminds me how lucky I was. I got an email from my friend linking to the kickstarter the day before it ended (ironically while trying to get a magic card distributor for my comic shop-hadn't played any tcg's since probably '95-'96 but researching magic already had me primed). Checked out the KS and loved the design-I've always been interested in the design of MMOs, lurking in the forums prerelease much more than actually playing them, and here was a whole new genre, and I think Hex has barely scratched the surface of what its capable of.

I didn't have much time, I had to make a decision quickly and I'd never backed a KS before. I would have gone for grand king if it had been available almost certainly, probably pro player as a second choice (but I'm just glad I didn't find out 24 hours later). I pledged king. But the more I thought about, the more I wanted a $250 tier. The ones left weren't incredibly appealing to me, I considered getting another king, or even two.

Finally a couple hours before the KS ended I got an additional collector tier-I don't really care about alternate art but I could see it being very valuable if the game gets popular. It may have been a trap for me though, even though I really don't care about alternate art I have enough of the collector in me that I'm afraid I'll have trouble selling it. And even if that's not a problem when to sell? I'll be afraid of selling and it increasing in value ten-fold, heh. Half the time I think I should have gone for raid leader, or guildmaster or even 2 more kings. Part of me wishes I'd had another week but part of me is afraid I would have talked myself up to producer or something. Really I'm just thankful my friend sent me the link in time, I really feel for the people who found out a day or two late.

Justin

Lucidic
06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Well, I was going to donate quite a bit, but then my uncle gave some life experience advice (Understand that what I am about to tell you, I do not completely agree with). He told me that "It's a CON", a stupid idea to donate, because "If it is a good idea, someone with money will invest. This is just a way to rip people off of their money, when they do not even know what they are donating for (not completely anyway)"

That's extremely silly reasoning. Think about it. What do investors do? They give money in hopes it will generate more. It's basically gambling but with educated guesses. Key point: INVESTORS ("someone with money") don't know what they are investing in either (not completely).

Given that Cryptozoic already has one hugely successful TCG under their belt, gambling that their next one will make money is a good gamble. They are pretty much just giving the opportunity to invest to us, the consumer, instead of some entrepreneur in a suit.

How do you know "someone with money" hasn't already tried to give them money in exchange for a share in profits and got turned down? Do you think that if rich people don't like it then it's a bad idea?

mainstager
06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
So why and how did you end up where you are with your pledge?

I was so torn between 3 of the tiers. I initially wanted Dungeon Crawler, but the more I thought about it, the more appealing Collector and Pro Player started to look. I own a business and we've been doing really well lately (and I haven't really rewarded myself for my hard work since starting it 4 years ago, other than the occasional day off), so the 500 pledge was a gift to myself. I was happy to pledge Grand King and was lucky enough to snipe one :)

Gwaer
06-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I was so torn between 3 of the tiers. I initially wanted Dungeon Crawler, but the more I thought about it, the more appealing Collector and Pro Player started to look. I own a business and we've been doing really well lately (and I haven't really rewarded myself for my hard work since starting it 4 years ago, other than the occasional day off), so the 500 pledge was a gift to myself. I was happy to pledge Grand King and was lucky enough to snipe one :)
Oh, lucky for you that you'll have a lotus garden left after you pay my snipe toll. The PP's really are the ones that have it rough =(

blakegrandon
06-24-2013, 09:14 AM
That's extremely silly reasoning. Think about it. What do investors do? They give money in hopes it will generate more. It's basically gambling but with educated guesses. Key point: INVESTORS ("someone with money") don't know what they are investing in either (not completely).

Given that Cryptozoic already has one hugely successful TCG under their belt, gambling that their next one will make money is a good gamble. They are pretty much just giving the opportunity to invest to us, the consumer, instead of some entrepreneur in a suit.

How do you know "someone with money" hasn't already tried to give them money in exchange for a share in profits and got turned down? Do you think that if rich people don't like it then it's a bad idea?

You do know that investing usually results in partial ownership of said investment, right?

Don't kid yourself in thinking that we're "investing" in the company, at best it's a pre-order with a high amount of risk.

Companies that turn down investments usually turn them down for a reason, do you really think rich people care whether they like a product or not? The majority of investments are based on calculated risks and numbers, NOT whether they personally like a product.

I believe in Hex, that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I backed the project because it's an investment. I backed it because it's a game I want to play, that said crowdfunding is VERY high risk when it comes to whether or not you're going to receive said product.

GuntherK
06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
A real world tcg can become an expensive adiction. How many boosters of MTG can you get with the 85$ of a champion tier ?
And how many did we get with the ks rewards here in Hex, plus the starter decks and the fancy exclusive cards that will make nice colectible items ?
If you compare the rewards Cryptozoic ofered comparing to the ones ofered in other ks campaigns, like Solforge, another digital tcg also sucessfuly backed, you will find out Cryptozoic was very kind.
I stoped at the Champion tier because i will mostly pve and casual pvp with fun decks, and i didnt knew what to do with the 150 plus boosters of the king tier, the day after kickstarter ended i read the description of the "spectral lotus garden" and realized why only 900ish people backed champion and 3200ish went the extra mile for King.

So to respond to the OP question, why so few people went for Champion tier and so many for King?
The answer is because "spectral lotus garden" is too juicy to resist :)

Lucidic
06-24-2013, 09:19 AM
You do know that investing usually results in partial ownership of said investment, right?

Don't kid yourself in thinking that we're "investing" in the company, at best it's a pre-order with a high amount of risk.

Companies that turn down investments usually turn them down for a reason, do you really think rich people care whether they like a product or not? The majority of investments are based on calculated risks and numbers, NOT whether they personally like a product.

I believe in Hex, that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I backed the project because it's an investment. I backed it because it's a game I want to play, that said crowdfunding is VERY high risk when it comes to whether or not you're going to receive said product.

Maybe I didn't get my point across but part of what I was trying to say was that maybe no big investors have invested because Cryptozoic doesn't want to give up part ownership of the company, aka they don't WANT investors.

We're getting preorder bonuses on crack. We also are "investing" a relatively small amount (well most of us).

Dragonzero
06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
So to respond to the OP question, why so few people went for Champion tier and so many for King?
The answer is because "spectral lotus garden" is too juicy to resist :)

I know. :( Perhaps I'll get lucky and trade for it or something. Lotus Garden is my one regret.

Thanks for the response.

Prism
06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
OK, let me state, I invested in Star wars TCG. well over $1,000 into that game over the course of my collecting. I have gotten a chance to play that game 3 times. I love the game. Love the cards, but didn't have oppurtunities to play.
I bought into the Harry Potter TCG, couple of hundered dollars. Played about 5 times, before everyone quit playing.
I invested into hero clix. Somewhere around $500. Next thing I know, no one was playing it anymore. PLayed it about 20 games.
I invested into a warhammer 40K chaos army, about $300. Then the local players stopped playing before I even had my army painted.
I invested into modern micro armour. Played at that several games, until a year later, no one was playing anymore.
I have bought several $50+ board games that got played once, was fun, but no one wanted to play again.
Lets not talk about role playing games, buying all the books, to have the big campaign, last 2 or 3 sessions, before folding and never being played again.

sounds like you have no friends. online will be good for you

mainstager
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Oh, lucky for you that you'll have a lotus garden left after you pay my snipe toll. The PP's really are the ones that have it rough =(

Gonna have to send that one to collections, my man. You're already getting, what, like 12?

I think you'll be alright ;)

Gridian
06-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I know. :( Perhaps I'll get lucky and trade for it or something. Lotus Garden is my one regret.

Thanks for the response.

I hate to be cruel, but I'd advise you not to get your hopes up (for a garden). Producing 1 flower daily which is going to be an important card for PvE pros it creates a constant small revenue in ingame currency. Giving away a garden now, with god knows how many years of running time left, would be unwise from a currency point of view.
Then again, with luck, one of your guildies may have several and feel like parting with one... you never know :-)

sckolar
06-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Hey there, I actually don't think you're an idiot. I just sometimes do not understand why people are willing to donate so much, that's all. Not that generally there is something wrong with it, with the exception for me personally of course. It sounds to me like the first few times you donated, they were decisions that worked out well for you, and turned out to be worth it, and that is why you donated a lot to other games, because you had good experiences with the first few.

Shadowelf
06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
It sounds to me like the first few times you donated, they were decisions that worked out well for you, and turned out to be worth it, and that is why you donated a lot to other games, because you had good experiences with the first few.

Having a good experience from previous projects is one reason. The second is instict; sometimes u trust it and it pays off. And the third is a bunch of spare money

DreamPuppet
06-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Your uncle is a smart man. I wouldn't say that HEX is a con, but it's a speculative investment that will in the end leave SOME people with less than they started with. I'd call HEX a long term sure to fail investment, because once the servers go down, some people still holding unto accounts will have nothing. Some smart people who arent attached to all the kickstarter bells and whistles will turn a profit and others who get too attached to virtual nothing goods will lose money once the game shuts down.

My advice would have been "if you think that the game will be popular for a while grab a higher tier and get rid of everything while it's profitable and before it disappears into the cyber void". Now the hard part is finding the right time to sell, it could be a month after release, it could be a year or 5 years....

yovalord
06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Your uncle is a smart man. I wouldn't say that HEX is a con, but it's a speculative investment that will in the end leave SOME people with less than they started with. I'd call HEX a long term sure to fail investment, because once the servers go down, some people still holding unto accounts will have nothing. Some smart people who arent attached to all the kickstarter bells and whistles will turn a profit and others who get too attached to virtual nothing goods will lose money once the game shuts down.

My advice would have been "if you think that the game will be popular for a while grab a higher tier and get rid of everything while it's profitable and before it disappears into the cyber void". Now the hard part is finding the right time to sell, it could be a month after release, it could be a year or 5 years....

You have to take into consideration that entertainment has value. I expect hex to have around an 8 year lifespan, 5 year minimum. Anybody whos going to complain that they put 125$ in for a king tier and the game closed on them 5 years later is a very silly person. Some people will profit with real currency, others will get entertainment. Anybody who put in a lot of money and ends up hating the game didn't research what they were buying into in the first place. Hex will likely be the WoW of online TCGs.

Parzival
06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
@DragonZero Congratulations on the house, it's a great achievement. We were half way to our deposit when family business reared it's untimely head and we had to go overseas. Well it did give me the opportunity to Kickstart :o

I really don't get this investment, I-must-make-a-profit off my hobby attitude that permeates TCGs these days.

Look it's a personal thing, but for me, Hex Kickstarter was not an investment, it was a pre order, it's a hobby, I am waiting out several Kickstarters so I need something to keep me going until they bear fruit. Draft a week, new cards every couple of months ,lots of cool PVE dungeons, raids with my guild, I think I'm good ;)

If I get $1/hr I will be a happy man without selling a single card. If there are cards I don't think are in someway cool, I may trade them to my guild but watching the candles and following the drunken sailor, no, it's a hobby, a passion, not a business.

Well that's in my mind at least (Yes it's small and cramped inside here - let me out!)

DreamPuppet
06-24-2013, 08:58 PM
You have to take into consideration that entertainment has value. I expect hex to have around an 8 year lifespan, 5 year minimum. Anybody whos going to complain that they put 125$ in for a king tier and the game closed on them 5 years later is a very silly person. Some people will profit with real currency, others will get entertainment. Anybody who put in a lot of money and ends up hating the game didn't research what they were buying into in the first place. Hex will likely be the WoW of online TCGs.

You're going to have to spend a lot more than the $125 or whatever tier you bought to play. Four months after release you'll have to spend another couple of hundred on boosters if you want the new set to keep playing and 4 months after that do it again for set 3... Some people will have put thousands into the game before it shuts down. And you can't tell me that the people that bought 7 tiers (i got 3x $250's myself) did it for the entertainment, they did it on speculation that the game would be big and they'd be able to make money.

There is no guaranty on how long HEX will be around, after all it's a video game. The concept of it sounds good but that never means that the game will be good, just look at any MMO in the past 5 years and how many had hundreds of thousands of people wetting themselves for them, not just 15k and most of them disappointed and had half their player base gone in less than 6 months.

I never played physical magic or MTGO but i know that they are very very very different than HEX. Magic is a CollectibleCardGame and Hex is a virtual TradingCardGame, there is nothing to collect in Hex, not in the long term. At any moment Crypto can decide to take your box of cards and toss them in the recycle bin and the players have no control over that, so it's not something you can keep around for 50 years like my old box of hockey cards hoping that your grand kids can sell your spectral lotus to buy a house.