PDA

View Full Version : Hex will be available on tablet, will it be available on smartphone too?

Slish
06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Just like the title says..
Sorry if it has been answered already.

But for example will it be playable on my samsung galaxy s3 as well?

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:07 PM
I doubt that. I really wouldn't want to play on such a small screen either. Screen size is probably why they will demand a tablet sized device to use the app as well. They would just run into a lot of trouble optimizing for smaller screen sizes and can avoid a lot support requests or disappointed customers by just not allowing the app to function on a smart phone.

Slish
06-23-2013, 06:10 PM
hmmm, well my phone still has a resolution of like 1280x720?
So that shouldnt matter? only thing is that it might need 'zoomsupport' ? But I guess thats easy.
I agree its kinda crappy to play on a small screen. But thats just user preference, and as long zoom is available it should be doable.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Will Hex differentiate between an Android tablet and an android cell phone? The note 2 has a 5.5" screen, would be interesting to play Hex on it. Probably not worth the headache but people have gotten wow to run in cell phones...

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:27 PM
hmmm, well my phone still has a resolution of like 1280x720?
So that shouldnt matter? only thing is that it might need 'zoomsupport' ? But I guess thats easy.
I agree its kinda crappy to play on a small screen. But thats just user preference, and as long zoom is available it should be doable.

It's not so much about the resolution, more about the actual size the interface and cards will be displayed. Though technically easy doable the gaming experience will still be quite mediocre or clumsy compared to a bigger screen tablet or even a monitor. To make HEX a good experience on smartphones they would need to redesign the whole UI. It's certainly not a thing they will aim for release but maybe in the future, who knows...

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Will Hex differentiate between an Android tablet and an android cell phone?

I am only assuming things here, but since they only called it "Tablet Support" and not "Mobile Support" I assume they wouldn't want you to play the game on a <7" screen. To differentiate between devices is easily done, just a short line of code that prevents the app from being installed.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I am only assuming things here, but since they only called it "Tablet Support" and not "Mobile Support" I assume they wouldn't want you to play the game on a <7" screen. To differentiate between devices is easily done, just a short line of code that prevents the app from being installed.

That begs the question then of whether the Note 2 is considered a tablet or a cell phone as far as Android goes, Sprint and other providers do consider the note 2 to be within the tablet AND the cell phone category.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc6630003prd&deviceSKUId=66300077&isDeeplinked=true&noModal=true

You can see they advertise it as a tablet, and as far as android is concerned it's the same version of android you'll find on most tablets.

That said even if the "app" doesn't allow it, you can still always remotely access your PC with the cell phone and run Hex via the desktop. Writing the extra code to not make it work on a cell phone is kinda pointless given there is workarounds.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
That begs the question then of whether the Note 2 is considered a tablet or a cell phone as far as Android goes, Sprint and other providers do consider the note 2 to be within the tablet AND the cell phone category.

That's up to CZE to decide if they consider the experience good or bad.

Writing the extra code to not make it work on a cell phone is kinda pointless given there is workarounds.

It's not pointless. It's a statement that it is not intended to be used on that devices. If you do use some sort of workaround than that's up to you but you can't blame customer support then for not being able to read card texts or having problems to understand game situations with more than 6 cards in play.

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
It's not pointless. It's a statement that it is not intended to be used on that devices. If you do use some sort of workaround than that's up to you but you can't blame customer support then for not being able to read card texts or having problems to understand game situations with more than 6 cards in play.

It is pointless to write extra code to prohibit it from working on mobiles as opposed to tablets, because that would require more coding that ultimately can easily be circumvented.

No one using a cell phone should blame customer service if the game doesn't work, it's not "designed" to work with cell phones, that doesn't mean they should go out of their way to make it NOT work with cell phones.

See the distinction?

Syeblaze
06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I was curious about this myself. I would hesitate to call the note 2 a tablet, but it certainly would be big enough for the game. Honestly the parasite would support the can you party this part of the deal. Then it's a simple matter to root the phone and play it anyways. Either way, I don't see how they would stop it. But you are right about it being a statement for support. Not a supported device, they can't help you if something goes wrong. If you have the knowledge to do it, you probably don't call in to tech support centers much in the first place. It would be the smart thing to do

DjiN
06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
It is pointless to write extra code to prohibit it from working on mobiles as opposed to tablets, because that would require more coding that ultimately can easily be circumvented.

Dude, it is literally a SINGLE line of code. You don't even need to use your brain to implement that :p

No one using a cell phone should blame customer service if the game doesn't work, it's not "designed" to work with cell phones, that doesn't mean they should go out of their way to make it NOT work with cell phones.

See the distinction?

You certainly have a hard time to understand what drives today's business decisions. An innocent customer downloading an App that is not fun to use will either harass customer support and write negative reviews which leads to negative PR or will just delete the app and never touch the product or even anything from that company again. Both is easily avoided with quality insurance. Just deliver to the platforms where the app is fun to use. Period.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 07:32 PM
But you are right about it being a statement for support. Not a supported device, they can't help you if something goes wrong. If you have the knowledge to do it, you probably don't call in to tech support centers much in the first place. It would be the smart thing to do

Hail Syeblaze who actually has an understanding for the bigger picture!

blakegrandon
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Dude, it is literally a SINGLE line of code. You don't even need to use your brain to implement that :p

What's the line of code?

Also the last time I checked Android doesn't differentiate between tablet and cell phones when it comes to app stores.

It'll probably be a lot easier to just put a disclaimer stating it's not intended for cell phone use.

SomeoneRandom
06-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I am personally hoping for a cell phone app that isn't the full game, but just your hand and maybe a small summary of what is in play. I am imagining playing against someone in person on a big screen with each player having their hands on their phone so it can be more of a spectator sport for live events.

DjiN
06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
What's the line of code?

android.os.Build.MODEL;

PetyrBaelish
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I have a galaxy note 2 and watching videos of hex on youtube I can see that the game is indeed playable on it and with the S pen it would be really easy. I really hope the note 2 is supported for hex so I can play while at work. Make it so crypto!

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 12:00 AM
They can indeed make it (at least on android devices) supported on a device by device basis. So, if they want to make the QA work for the note 2, but not, say, the HTC One S/X, then they very well can do that. I don't know enough about it for generalizations, but as far as I know its a preference in the play store. Say "These devices are supported. Anything else, it won't work or it won't be "supported". If you look at Flash for smart phones, Adobe did much the same thing. If you have 4.1 or above, you can't even download the thing. Makes me rage.

mydragoon
06-24-2013, 12:31 AM
i have asked them before and posted on a similar thread...

official reply is... tablet only. however, Cryptozoid has not really come up with their definition of tablet. what size is it? 7"? 6"? 8"?

and yes... galaxy note 2 or even galaxy mega from Samsung seems big enough... clumsy, maybe (i can only imagine how one is going to make out what are the cards being drawn on the note2's 5.5" screen -- but i'd also like to think it's possible -- since i have a note 2)...

anyway, we'll know as we get close to public release.

update1:
oh ya... when they replied to me (i think via KS), they did say that they may look at mini quests for smartphones but that's just something they can explore. they never did guarantee or say they will. so dun misquote. :D

but ya... still good to know what size is considered 'tablet'. but just to be on the safe side, i've actually given advance warning to my boys that i'm taking back the Asus Transformer from them sometime soon... i'm sure that is considered a tablet. :D

Aldazar
06-24-2013, 02:52 AM

See the distinction?

I think you vastly overestimate the general populace:
-Most people don't read disclaimers
-People will complain about anything, even if the cause of the complaint stems from not following instructions - the fact that CZE can show a disclaimer and probably avoid legal liability doesn't mitigate the negative publicity etc that would come with complaints, rants, etc.
-Moreover, you are basically begging to dramatically increase your customer service workload as people will fail to read the disclaimer, try to make it work on their phones, and start complaining/spamming tech support when it doesn't

In short, if it's not designed for use on a platform, I am definitely supportive of it being coded not to function on that platform.

PS: Idiot-proofing is not pointless - it serves a worthwhile purpose.

ossuary
06-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Also the last time I checked Android doesn't differentiate between tablet and cell phones when it comes to app stores.

Sorry, but this is completely false. In the Play store, if you try to install an app that is not supported, instead of the install button, you see a message that says "We're sorry, your device is not supported." Many, many apps use it - usually to keep out the crappier tablets from apps that are supposed to run with a Tegra processor, or weird tablets with messed up resolutions that make the app look terrible or not work correctly.

Similarly the apple app store has apps that are iPad only. It's a standard practice.

Just because you're unaware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I am definitely in favor of locking out phones from using the app. It's a bad idea.

blakegrandon
06-24-2013, 05:27 AM
PS: Idiot-proofing is not pointless - it serves a worthwhile purpose.

I guess, I just wish that they could throw up disclaimers and let us decide whether it's playable or not on the note 2 and such. People have successfully played wow on an Iphone, so Hex on a screen twice the size(Note 2 is about the size of 2 iphones) should be easy :-p

jai151
06-24-2013, 05:34 AM
I guess, I just wish that they could throw up disclaimers and let us decide whether it's playable or not on the note 2 and such. People have successfully played wow on an Iphone, so Hex on a screen twice the size(Note 2 is about the size of 2 iphones) should be easy :-p

The problem is you don't lock it and you wind up with things like reviews that say, "Impossible to play on phone, cards unreadable. Contacted and told device not supported, WTF!? I downloaded it, didn't I? One star"

H3avyM3talH3r0
06-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Even if it's possible and they allow it I wouldn't use it. Just because you can get WOW to run on a phone doesn't mean it's a good idea. I play MTG on my iPad and enjoy the experience. I like using my fingers to move the cards just like real life and playing a game while a game is on in the background where I'm not stuck behind the computer. Anything else would be to small. I wouldn't be able to read card text, select wrong cards, and other issues that would lessen my enjoyment of the game. If you don't have a tablet I'm sorry. I don't have a fast car so I don't race.

zifster
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd love for it to be a warning over an absolute restriction on phones, I think it would play reasonably well enough on a note style device especially with the s-pen. I also don't have a 3g tablet so it would let me manage my decks etc on the go much easier if I wanted to play around with them a bit on the train. Or perhaps just chat with guildies and the like. In any case the resolution on these phones vs 7inch tablet is often the same so I really don't see why it couldn't run on it effectively.

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
I'd love for it to be a warning over an absolute restriction on phones, I think it would play reasonably well enough on a note style device especially with the s-pen. I also don't have a 3g tablet so it would let me manage my decks etc on the go much easier if I wanted to play around with them a bit on the train. Or perhaps just chat with guildies and the like. In any case the resolution on these phones vs 7inch tablet is often the same so I really don't see why it couldn't run on it effectively.

Again, I would LOVE for that to happen as well. It would be nice if people would be smart enough to follow warnings and understand that if it says it doesn't work on a device, they shouldn't download it. However, people don't. People see warnings as nuisances and skip through them. I know this because I work in a tech support call center to earn my bread. Fully half my calls stem from user error, and most of that user error is because they don't read the warnings, the manual, or the guidelines for use. Again, if you REALLY want to play the game, there ARE ways around the restrictions. You may have to download the straight APK file, which I guarantee will go up on websites within the first few weeks. You may also have to root your phone so it shows up as "Unknown Device Type". Most companies leave those kinds of devices alone, as it may be a tablet or not. But, if the game is made for a tablet, you're gonna be squinting to read most of the cards, even on a high-definition screen. The problem of size does not change just because your 5" note 2 has the same resolution as a 9" tablet. Again, its your decision, but they will and should limit the downloads to tablets because that's the wisest course of action, and will lead to the best growth for CZE (and therefore Hex).

That said, I would be all for a mobile specific version. I don't have a tablet yet :(

blakegrandon
06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
People see warnings as nuisances and skip through them. I know this because I work in a tech support call center to earn my bread.

That said, I would be all for a mobile specific version. I don't have a tablet yet :(

I'm..... so sorry for your loss :-p

I have a Kindle Fire which is like a tablet except a bit smaller than most Ipads.

I'd rather get an android Tablet though, might look into that when hex comes out. Right now I'm always glued to a computer except when I'm on a dive trip, it would be nice to play some hex after a day of diving while sitting on a beach.(Certain beaches in the Caribbeans offer Wifi!)

jai151
06-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Okay, so after a game of 2014 on the note, I was ready to do a full reverse on my position.

After two games and the eyestrain induced headache, not so much.

ZeroCool
06-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Even if it is playable on your phone, I personally wouldn't want to. I have an iPhone and the screens on those aren't exactly massive. Maybe on the larger Samsungs it may be a bit more enjoyable.

Syeblaze
06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I'd rather get an android Tablet though, might look into that when hex comes out. Right now I'm always glued to a computer except when I'm on a dive trip, it would be nice to play some hex after a day of diving while sitting on a beach.(Certain beaches in the Caribbeans offer Wifi!)

Must be nice!

Ju66ernaut
06-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Okay, so after a game of 2014 on the note, I was ready to do a full reverse on my position.

After two games and the eyestrain induced headache, not so much.

Given the 5.5" screen on the Note, do you think you would feel the same or different playing on a 7" tablet?

jai151
06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Given the 5.5" screen on the Note, do you think you would feel the same or different playing on a 7" tablet?

I have a Nexus 7 at home I'll give it a shot on tonight, but that 1.5" diagonal does make a lot of difference in real estate

PetyrBaelish
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I actually downloaded magic 2014 to the note 2 and played around with it a bit and I can totally play it with out any issues. Yeah I can see getting eyestrain with the magic cards but I think its just their font its not like with hex's font for the cards. Didnt even need the S pen. Totally playable make it happen crypto!

Syeblaze
06-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I tried 2014 on my galaxy s2. It was not terrible, though I had to zoom in on every single card or recognize the art. That's playable, but not of high quality. I think a warning, like on the mtg2014 download would work. Definitely something I would consider myself, having tried it. A little frustrating with it being inaccurate.

DjiN
06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Lol playing the beginners match with 2 creatures max in play convinced you. Wait until you have 10+ creatures on both sides, total pain in the ass.

ssg13
06-26-2013, 11:58 PM
I am considering buying tablet for studying purposes(reading exams, entertenment for lectures :D). iPads are on huge sale on local market so that made me consider this whole thing. As Hex comes also to tablets I have to consider these devices from gaming point of view also.

My options are: iPad 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini, and Nexus 7.

iPad mini is perfect for its size. Nexus 7 feels little too small to be usefull. I have used my friends Nexus 7 and it requires quite amount of scrolling and zooming when reading pdf for example. I don't know how games play on either of them. Atleast on Nexus 7 I have seen phone games like Game Dev story to scale really nicely. The thing I don't like either of them is resolution and they both are quite old. New iPad mini and Nexus 7 are coming soon and they both have been rumoured to have HD resolution or better. Worth waiting and saving money for them?

iPad4 has really really good display. It has more power than I currently need. It has longest life span out of these options. It is also the most expensive one. iPad 2 is the cheapest. So cheap that I just could buy and and throw to a lake without regrading it. It is also the oldest and will become obselete earliest. Also I fear that it won't run Hex properly when it comes out. Sure it is currently the most popular iPad and software developers have to keep that in mind. Also both iPads are little too big for my taste. But bigger screen has its advantages. I can imagine 10" screen is perfect for TCG like Hex. Specially with HD resolution. Study wise they might be too big for comfortly to be able to read from bed or sofa where I do all my reading for exams.

As I see you guys have tested TCG games on 7" devices and even smaller. I know there isn't high resolution 7" device on market yet. Do you think higher resolution would help playablity of Hex on smaller tablets? Hex isn't the reason why I want tablet, but it has some effect on my choice.
Should I wait for more suitable devices to emerge on markets or get now while they are cheap? I know there isn't much games which can be compared to Hex on tablets now so it is quite hard to predict how Hex handles different kind of devices.

Yoss
06-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I am expecting it to work on my iPhone, even if it's a little clunky to zoom in/out constantly. As long as I'm not in PvP mode, there hopefully won't be a timer on my moves so it should work out. It's fine with me if they do not optimize for small screens as long as they don't block it.