PDA

View Full Version : Hex Oracle

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 12:08 AM
One thing I've been thinking about is the need for something akin to MTG Oracle (its called the Gatherer now, but Oracle was a much cooler name :P). Basically, its a compendium of all the cards in Hex, and the nuances and judgments on those cards. Now, since we're in a digital TCG, any card display can link to oracle text.

Obviously, the community is going to be creating something like this, and will probably do it before CZE even has a chance... but it would be nice to be able to see the minor stuff like special card interactions without having to visit an external website. Maybe a little magnifying glass above or below the card that has a popup for the minor rules, errata, judgments and card interactions (the rest of the relevant info being on the card itself) would help things out a lot. For those interested in what the heck I'm talking about:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=136047
make special note of the rulings section at the end. That would be the kind of thing that would show up in the tool tip.

What do you lot think?

Xarek
06-24-2013, 01:14 AM
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/

Have a chat to Kemical (the owner of the site) on the new chatroom there and request that feature, he's usually around. He's very helpful and receptive to new ideas.

Patrigan
06-24-2013, 01:21 AM
We also will have similar features on the wiki http://hextcg.gamepedia.com .

I am unsure if we really need this ingame. I personally don't think CZE should invest their resources in it yet. Later when this game has exploded and CZE is unsure what to do with their money, then they should certianly consider this.

Punk
06-24-2013, 02:08 AM
One thing I've been thinking about is the need for something akin to MTG Oracle (its called the Gatherer now, but Oracle was a much cooler name :P). Basically, its a compendium of all the cards in Hex, and the nuances and judgments on those cards. Now, since we're in a digital TCG, any card display can link to oracle text.

Obviously, the community is going to be creating something like this, and will probably do it before CZE even has a chance... but it would be nice to be able to see the minor stuff like special card interactions without having to visit an external website. Maybe a little magnifying glass above or below the card that has a popup for the minor rules, errata, judgments and card interactions (the rest of the relevant info being on the card itself) would help things out a lot. For those interested in what the heck I'm talking about:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=136047
make special note of the rulings section at the end. That would be the kind of thing that would show up in the tool tip.

What do you lot think?

I really like Gatherer and would like to see something like this in the future.

Aradon
06-24-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm sure they'll be maintaining a database somewhere, since they'll need to pull the 'oracle text' from it for their cards. MtGO cards always had the updated rules, even on older cards, which meant they read from an updated database. Whether they'll make their Oracle Text database something available online like the Gatherer is an entirely different story, of course.

As for links to Gatherer databases, it shouldn't be too difficult to let it open a browser and auto search for the card you want, but I personally think it's fine to leave that functionality to your own browser. I've got the gatherer bookmarked since I use it so frequently, and for a while even had an addon that replaced the google search bar with a gatherer search bar :P

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Yea. And, hey, if they don't add it in, I would not be surprised to see quite a few UI mods that will add that functionality... Since everything lives server side, I don't know how much they will care if the UI gets modded, assuming it doesn't give an unfair advantage (Rules clarifications are hardly unfair advantage).

But thanks for the links to our community's card databases!

wayne
06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Good that the community is jumping on this, but with all of the unique card mechanics we are going to see, and all the likely confusion as evidenced by multiple posts on various cards, it might be better to have crypto curate a database of rulings.

KaosSoul
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
you should definitly ask Kemical about it in this Thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25040)

EntropyBall
06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure Gatherer is relevant to Hex.
Gatherer is important to MTG because it allows them to keep all official card text up to date with the current wording. Hex can just do that on the cards directly (yay digital!).
It also allows them to write out how card interactions are supposed to work. Again, Hex just does this directly because the computer won't let you make an illegal play.

I guess a Q/A section on potion-of-wit could be useful though, as some people may want to know how a card interaction will work before trying it out in an actual game.

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 02:43 PM
I guess a Q/A section on potion-of-wit could be useful though, as some people may want to know how a card interaction will work before trying it out in an actual game.

This is exactly why I want to see this. I'd rather not trade for a specific card only to learn that the combo I'd theory-crafted out doesn't work as planned.