PDA

View Full Version : Magic 2014, now on Android!

shibs
06-25-2013, 04:00 AM
Pretty sure it's out for Apple today, too, but they already had 2013 to play with. Android people looking to get a real TCG experience on your tablet can now give it a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stainlessgames.D14

Full release on Steam is tomorrow. Playing it now on my Nexus 7, it's pretty slick. Similar feel to the other DotP games, but I think a bit more story driven. Either way, it's a good way to see if you're going to enjoy the genre on a mobile platform, and for players new to TCG's in general, a perfect way to learn how to play.

Free version I think has 3 decks to play with and only lower difficulty levels. $10 to unlock the full game (purchase made in app). Enjoy!

Shadowelf
06-25-2013, 04:08 AM
Wotc definately knows their business..and yeah it will be a good filler till hex is available

Kroan
06-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Not compatible with iPad1 :(

havocattack
06-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Hmmm.. tempted :/

havocattack
06-25-2013, 04:30 AM
If I want it on steam and android do I have to buy it twice? :(

shibs
06-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Wotc definately knows their business..and yeah it will be a good filler till hex is available
Yeah, but they've had a few years to get it right! This is also a pretty casual game. Competitive Magic will always be in MTGO, which I think is what Hex will want to compete with. MTGO isn't nearly as polished as this. Like you said, it's a good filler until Hex is available.

Maybe I should have framed my OP better. I wasn't trying to advertise any real competition! I just figured it would be a good avenue for new players to get some exposure.

Kroan
06-25-2013, 04:39 AM
If I want it on steam and android do I have to buy it twice? :( Yes. But you can start playing around with the free version on android and buy the full version on steam

SteB
06-25-2013, 04:40 AM

you never have touched magic online, have you?

Ju66ernaut
06-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Come on Steam. Pump it out already!

.....that's what she said.

Shadowelf
06-25-2013, 04:51 AM

To tell u the truth no, despite playing mtg since 1996 and having at least 10 years of competitive play under my belt. Never felt the need to, because the community where i live is pretty active and numerous (30-40 ppl tourneys) and all my best friends are mtg fanatics

Saeijou
06-25-2013, 04:51 AM
So updating the free app will cost the same as the steam version?
(is that right? feel free to correct my bad english :/ )

jai151
06-25-2013, 05:07 AM
So updating the free app will cost the same as the steam version?
(is that right? feel free to correct my bad english :/ )

That is correct, and your English is fine (aside from capitalizing Steam, but that's nitpicking).

Shadowelf
06-25-2013, 05:10 AM

In addition, and despite its faults, i think that mtgo serves its purpose; that is to offer a testing ground for those that want to play competitively or to accommodate ppl that don't have an active communuty near them. Mtg will always be a paper tcg in soul , so don't expect much improvement on the online part

jai151
06-25-2013, 05:12 AM
In addition, and despite its faults, i think that mtgo serves its purpose; that is to offer a testing ground for those that want to play competitively or to accommodate ppl that don't have an active communuty near them. Mtg will always be a paper tcg in soul , so don't expect much improvement on the online part

Magic Online was great about 10 years ago. The problem is it was never kept current, and has become an outdated, clunky, slow pile of garbage.

Malicus
06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
I hear a lot of complaints about the MtG:O interface but I always found teh DoTP one fine if a bit simple - is it overall or the deck building parts that are bad? If it is worse than DoTP surely it wouldn't be that hard for them to make some modifications and use that interface.

I suppose at this point I don't want MtG:O to be better though :P

tautologico
06-25-2013, 07:15 AM
I hear a lot of complaints about the MtG:O interface but I always found teh DoTP one fine if a bit simple - is it overall or the deck building parts that are bad? If it is worse than DoTP surely it wouldn't be that hard for them to make some modifications and use that interface.

I suppose at this point I don't want MtG:O to be better though :P

Duels is contracted to a developer house (Stainless games). MTGO was originally done by an external dev, but was eventually bought by WOTC and is now developed in-house. It seems clear that WOTC's software engineering department isn't so hot.

That being said, there have been signs that Wizards is growing the MTGO dev team lately. I think they always let MTGO be this bad because they never saw any reason to make it better: no competition, and it's probable they feared the online version could cannibalize sales of the paper product (I don't know exactly why, the digital product is much more lucrative for them). Now with all the competition in the DTCG arena I think they're feeling the pressure and may begin to invest more in MTGO. Especially if HEX does really well after launch.

With the sealed deck campaign in Duels 2014 (yes, this is a thing: you open 6 boosters, build your deck and play a single-player campaign and/or play online against other people's sealed decks) I've been wondering if somehow Wizards plans (or planned) to grow Duels a little every year until it became a fully-fledged TCG to become the new MTGO, together with the single-player side. I don't know if this will happen but I know they're aware of all these new digital TCGs around and they're probably aware of HEX and if they're not, right now, planning ways to better fight in this market I'd say they're pretty stupid (but big companies can be "stupid" like that sometimes).

jai151
06-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Duels is contracted to a developer house (Stainless games). MTGO was originally done by an external dev, but was eventually bought by WOTC and is now developed in-house. It seems clear that WOTC's software engineering department isn't so hot.

That being said, there have been signs that Wizards is growing the MTGO dev team lately. I think they always let MTGO be this bad because they never saw any reason to make it better: no competition, and it's probable they feared the online version could cannibalize sales of the paper product (I don't know exactly why, the digital product is much more lucrative for them). Now with all the competition in the DTCG arena I think they're feeling the pressure and may begin to invest more in MTGO. Especially if HEX does really well after launch.

With the sealed deck campaign in Duels 2014 (yes, this is a thing: you open 6 boosters, build your deck and play a single-player campaign and/or play online against other people's sealed decks) I've been wondering if somehow Wizards plans (or planned) to grow Duels a little every year until it became a fully-fledged TCG to become the new MTGO, together with the single-player side. I don't know if this will happen but I know they're aware of all these new digital TCGs around and they're probably aware of HEX and if they're not, right now, planning ways to better fight in this market I'd say they're pretty stupid (but big companies can be "stupid" like that sometimes).

There have been rumors flying around for years that they're trying to contract Stainless to do a redev of MTGO. Personally, I've been out of the environment so long (my most recent cards in my MTGO collection are from the Onslaught block) that I probably wouldn't go back regardless of update.

MTGO never really took off the way Wizards expected it to, and I think the reason has to do with the pricing. By setting the entry fee equal to that of paper Magic but giving you something inherently inferior in value, you make the game less attractive. Whether Hex will force a change in that is up in the air. I think as long as WotC offers the redemption option for full sets, they will be unable or unwilling to drop the price per booster. Without that price drop, and with as much steam as Hex has behind it, if they aren't on top of development already MTGO may never be able to catch back up regardless of how they prettify it.

Xenavire
06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
OK, I love the fact it is on Android and free to play (Demo quality) but it is rather glitchy (to be expected I guess). Also, rather dissapointed with the sealed side (was excited until I realised it was pretty poorly done, and you can only test the deck against a swarm of birds. Pretty poor overall. Full version is likely to be much better, but still not hopeful about making a coherent or interesting deck.)

It is these kinds of decisions that makes Hex look so attractive. I might grab this on a steam sale sometime, but it is not a day one purchase (which I initially thought it would be - sealed at least is exciting until you see how bad the cards are.) If they let you use your sealed cards/decks outside of the sealed mode I would go for it anyway, but as it stands I am going to forget it and hope someone figures out how to mod it to allow more options. Thats the only reason I could stand 2013 after I beat campaign.

Does anyone know how to reset the sealed decks yet? I don't fancy being trapped into it, and would rather not have to erase my whole save every time I would like to start fresh (and I refuse to be gouged for more money for the extra slots, it is pure exploitation.)

jai151
06-25-2013, 08:41 AM
1) You can use the Sealed deck in any mode
2) In the full game, you get a full Sealed campaign that unlocks 3 more boosters.
3) Haven't figured out how to reset yet, looking into it for you now

Word on the street is you cannot reset sealed. Major black mark in my book.

jai151
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Ugh.

Okay, here's what I managed to dig up on Sealed:

There is NO WAY to reset the sealed campaign in game.

There is some kind of a link between the account and the sealed pool, as folks who deleted the save and ran the tournament again got precisely the same cards every time.

Neither of these are good news.

Xenavire
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Ouch, that sucks immensely. Stuck to the same pool even with a wiped save file is just evil. I will be waiting until some industrious hacker breaks into the game and lets us wipe the pool and start fresh. Until then I am saving the 10 euros.

Sucks too, it was the one mode I was exccited for, and I didn't know that you could use your sealed deck in other modes. Campaign too? If so the free version doesn't support that (or my deck was too small, I saved at 40 through lack of anything to add, unless I went a third and fourth colour.)

Hibbert
06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
There is NO WAY to reset the sealed campaign in game.

Seriously? I was sorta looking forward to this, but that kinda saps all my interest. I knew that the sealed was already going to be a subset of M14, but this on top of that is just cruel. It's amazing that the most "complete" MTG experience in computer games is the Microprose game which came out over 15 years ago.

Xenavire
06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Seriously? I was sorta looking forward to this, but that kinda saps all my interest. I knew that the sealed was already going to be a subset of M14, but this on top of that is just cruel. It's amazing that the most "complete" MTG experience in computer games is the Microprose game which came out over 15 years ago.

Whats even more amazing is that we are saying it despite a release of a new one today/tomorrow. Sad, sad day.

cavench
06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Speaking of DoTP. What do you all think about Hex's interface compare to DoTP's?

Xenavire
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
I think interface wise, the only downside to Hex so far is the positioning of the phase clock. Everything else is fairly nice (not to mention more roomier with lack of land) but I would like to see it really crammed with cards, so I can see exactly what is going on.

Having had to block a 40-50 card/token onslaught in 2013, blocking was damn near impossible to target (despite having more than enough blockers). as long as there are no fiddly issues like that, Hex is by far nicer to look at, and is well placed for most of the major features.

Well, the main menu interface could do with a small spruce up, but thats a minor things so early on.

Prism
06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Magic Online was great about 10 years ago. The problem is it was never kept current, and has become an outdated, clunky, slow pile of garbage.

It is actually very fast. It does not slow down by adding tons of pointless animations or fancy graphics. It is a card game.

The only area that it is lacking is the classified section which is horrible. Everything else is good

JaFa
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM

I still remember that Microprose game fondly. Hasbro bought WotC in 1999, did they not? The Microprose game came out in 1997 I believe. I think that's the answer to why there hasn't been a good MtG computer game experience since.

jai151
06-25-2013, 10:37 AM
It is actually very fast. It does not slow down by adding tons of pointless animations or fancy graphics. It is a card game.

The only area that it is lacking is the classified section which is horrible. Everything else is good

Hmm. Last I checked (about a year back now) it was running like garbage on my machine. Maybe it was something specific to my setup though.

ossuary
06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Thinking of the Microprose game (which I'm currently replaying, and it's still awesome), it reminds me of a feature the Hex interface should be sure to have - the ability of each player to rearrange the cards on the battlefield whichever way they like. You can resort the artefacts and creatures however you want in the play area, and the other player doesn't see that on their client.

The "fixed" version of the Microprose game that is currently floating around along with the Manalink 3.0 client actually stripped this feature OUT from the last community redo from 2008 or so, and playing it without that feature SUCKS when you get your mana creatures / artefacts mixed in with the normal ones, or your lands all out of order, and you can't do anything about it.

I really hope Hex lets you mess around with the card layout if you want, instead of just dumping them all on the battlefield in the order cast... that got pretty gross-looking in the twitch game where they were showing off Inspiration Engine.

H3avyM3talH3r0
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I got the game today on the iPad. It's not bad. The tutorial is pretty good if you new to this style of game. Might not be a bad way for new people to learn/practice the genre before Hex. Didn't get a chance to play sealed yet. Never liked the online version. It's not the full MTG experience but a fun casual game.

Just tried sealed. Not bad. Not great either. Again a decent tool for new players to learn deck construction.

Overall I like the game. It will keep me busy until Hearthstone and Hex are released.

Prism
06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
anyone else having trouble downloading the demo? Been downloading "additional file" for like 3 hours now... i have very fast internet

Alejess
06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
DoTP is a decent game, and excellent value for money imho. The game was created as an introduction to Magic for new players, who it was hoped would then go on to play the full game (though I think DoTP has taken on a life of its own to a limited degree). With me that plan sort of backfired though, as it’s the reason I’m here on the Hex forums! That said, I’ll certainly be playing DoTP until September when my attention is likely to drawn by other things…..

Mr.Funsocks
06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

You're delusional if you think MTGO is anything but bad... Having just now played the DotP demo it's a little overly flashy and confusing (Really hard to tell what phase you're on, and who has priority...), but good lord MTGO's interface is terrible. It IS slow, considering it has no graphics to render whatsoever, there's tons of wasted screenspace, the cards are just plain massive for no apparent reason, the playfield is disorganized... I could go on, but MTGO is just shamefully bad.

The one thing I am liking about the DotP interface that Hex doesn't have is the sense of perspective, making it look a little more like you're playing across from someone. DotP's is I think too drastic of a perspective, making the opponent's cards pointlessly hard to see, but it has a much better sense of there being an opponent there. Also, the targeting arrows point at the player rather than the avatar off to the side. Having the resources and health points both numerically and visually is also appealing, and something I've asked for in Hex before.

Prism
06-25-2013, 04:57 PM
are you playing on windows 98? Your comp must be extremely shit or a mac if it is slow for you. Everything else you can change in settings. Clearly you're just a CoD-baby

Qorsair
06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
OMGOMGOMG! Thanks Shibs, it's available on iOS now!
I thought I was going to have to wait until later this week to start playing, but now I know what I'm going to be doing tonight!
I've been playing a lot DotP during my free time over the last year, manually unlocked all the cards for all the decks on both the PC & iOS versions. So this should get a lot of play over the next 3 months (until I can play Hex on iOS anyway)!

Thanks again for the post.

Mr.Funsocks
06-25-2013, 06:49 PM
are you playing on windows 98? Your comp must be extremely shit or a mac if it is slow for you. Everything else you can change in settings. Clearly you're just a CoD-baby

... I can almost guarantee my computer outspecs yours. It's a poorly programmed crappile. The beta version might be better, I didn't try it. The current version, that they've had for like 10 years, is terrible.

Xenavire
06-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Is anyone having horrible crashes? (trail android version here). Literally so bad I can't start a match any more.

Is this just android, or the trail?

Prism
06-25-2013, 07:43 PM
the reviewers say that there are crash problems. I'll just wait till tomorrow for the pc version

Aradon
06-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Is it possible that the sealed pool is tied to the date, so that you can get a new sealed pool once a day? Would be a vast improvement over once/product, for sure :P