PDA

View Full Version : What books are you reading?

OmarEpps
06-25-2013, 06:06 AM
I just finished reading 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King (prepping to read Dark Tower series for the first time).

Now I'm on to The Stand, but first, Volume 2 of Saga by Brian K. Vaughn.

What are you guys reading this summer?

RElapse
06-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Name of the Wind and Old Mans Fear by Pat Rothless......Amazing

ZeroCool
06-25-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm currently reading "Let's Get It On! The Making of MMA" by Big John McCarthy. I'm a huge MMA fan, can't believe I just got around to reading this. Relatively easy read though, only 400 or so pages.

Did you have read "Regulators" by King?

OmarEpps
06-25-2013, 06:12 AM
I've never read Regulators but I am a big fan of King's work and recently decided I wanted to check out the Dark Tower, not knowing if you want the full picture you need to do a ton of other reading first!

Vomitlord
06-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Remember Who You Are by David Icke. His books are always interesting even if you don't believe everything he says. I'd say he's about 70% right myself.

ZeroCool
06-25-2013, 06:26 AM
I've never read Regulators but I am a big fan of King's work and recently decided I wanted to check out the Dark Tower, not knowing if you want the full picture you need to do a ton of other reading first!

Cool thing about Regulators is that after you read it, you read Desperation. They're different books, but they mirror each other. It's kinda weird, but quite interesting how it happens.

BohemianStalker
06-25-2013, 06:43 AM
I am reading the Horus Heresy 24 books saga of betrayal, in a universe, where in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war...

Icepick
06-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It's... odd.

Kami
06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Just finished Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow over the past couple days.

Rapkannibale
06-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno and am enjoying it so far.

ossuary
06-25-2013, 07:43 AM

That's funny, I just started rereading the Shadow books a couple weeks ago. I stopped between Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant so I could read Earth Afire... about a quarter of the way through that.

Love this series.

Ju66ernaut
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm about 2/3 through Brandon Sanderson's Elantris. It's no Mistborn/Stormlight Archives, but interesting enough to keep me going.

HyenaNipples
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Just finished another Tony Hillerman book: The Sinister Pig. They read fast, but I like them. Wish there were more of them from the period when Leaphorn was Chee's SO, though.

Gregzilla
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Currently re-reading my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Am on Guards, Guards now, which is also the first book of his I ever got and read. :)

ossuary
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Currently re-reading my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Am on Guards, Guards now, which is also the first book of his I ever got and read. :)

Ah, I love that series too. My wife and I both reread the whole series every couple of years. Guards, Guards is one of my favorites from the classics, though I think Men at Arms just barely edges it out. :)

ossuary
06-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Ah, I love that series too. My wife and I both reread the whole series every couple of years. Guards, Guards is one of my favorites from the classics, though I think Men at Arms just barely edges it out. :)

Rxauin
06-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Currently on book 6. OMG, this series, how had I never heard of it...

Credendo
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
After just finishing the Victorious South series by Harry Turtledove, I'm currently in the first book of the WordWar series In the Balance. Alternate history is fun!

Zarien
06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Finished blood song by Anthony Ryan recently and now I'm reading theft of swords by Michael j. Sullivan. Both of which have been fantastic reads. I highly recommend Among Thieves by Douglas hulick and the imager series by L.E modesitt.

Zarien
06-25-2013, 03:47 PM

I loved the series, but man the details were intense and hard to track. I had to take a break between some of the books just to rest my mind.

ossuary
06-25-2013, 03:52 PM

I really must get back to that series at some point. I read the first one and really enjoyed it. I first encountered Erikson because he wrote a forward for one of Glen Cook's compilations (if you haven't read him, you MUST read the Black Company, it's one of Erikson's self-proclaimed major influences).

After just finishing the Victorious South series by Harry Turtledove, I'm currently in the first book of the WordWar series In the Balance. Alternate history is fun!

Have you read Making History, by Stephen Fry (yes, that Stephen Fry)? It's alternate history from a psuedo-comedic point of view, but also surprisingly well-thought out. Though again, probably not TOO surprising, since it's Stephen Fry. :)

panzer
06-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I just finished reading 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King (prepping to read Dark Tower series for the first time).

Now I'm on to The Stand, but first, Volume 2 of Saga by Brian K. Vaughn.

What are you guys reading this summer?

I can't wait to start some heavy summer reading The Dark Tower series is on my list. I always want to read metro 2033 after playing last light.

bizznach
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM

im on 5 or 6 i think now...was in victoria BC where the author is from, and have up to book number 4 signed cuz he made a tour of bookstores and just signed all of them...such a damn amazing series!!!

Punk
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Is Belief in God Good, Bad Or Irrelevant? - by Greg Graffin and Preston Jones

I've read this book about 5 times now and I am sure I will read it another 5 times in my lifetime.

Shadowelf
06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Rereading the Game of Thrones...can't get enough of it. This must be like the third time

NoahBuddy
06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm about 2/3 through Brandon Sanderson's Elantris. It's no Mistborn/Stormlight Archives, but interesting enough to keep me going.

i love Sanderson's work. can not wait for more Stormlight Archives. i enjoyed Elantris. The Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fears are probably the best Modern examples of high fantasy as well as the Way of Kings.

Zarien
06-25-2013, 06:47 PM
i love Sanderson's work. can not wait for more Stormlight Archives. i enjoyed Elantris. The Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fears are probably the best Modern examples of high fantasy as well as the Way of Kings.

If you haven't read blood song but enjoyed name of the wind I highly recommend it.

Parzival
06-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Well my name might give me away but I have recently finished Ready Player One - excellent book!

Currently reading three depending on my mood , which is unusual I"m not a big reader at the best of times.

Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, Dan Brown's Inferno and Natalie Whipple's Transparent

TexArcane
06-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm finishing Daniel Abraham's "A Shadow In Summer" and will be starting Kevin Hearne's new Iron Druid book, "Hunted" after that. Too many new video games have slowed my reading time down.

keroko
06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand: A Concise Discourse on the Path to Enlightenment by Trijang Rinpoche

examines small, medium and large scopes. very good.

http://amzn.com/0861715004

Ju66ernaut
06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
If you haven't read blood song but enjoyed name of the wind I highly recommend it.

After reading a few reviews I nabbed the Kindle version off of Amazon for $4.99. Thx!

Pow! I pulled the trigger on the audio version from Audible.com. $12 and change for 24 hours of entertainment sounds like a good deal. The narrator sounds awesome on this edition. Volumes 2 and 3 are also available via Audible (Vol. 3 is 40+ hours!) for a credit each.

/Salute

Kietay
06-25-2013, 08:55 PM

♥ ♥ ♥

Zarien
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
After reading a few reviews I nabbed the Kindle version off of Amazon for $4.99. Thx!

Pow! I pulled the trigger on the audio version from Audible.com. $12 and change for 24 hours of entertainment sounds like a good deal. The narrator sounds awesome on this edition. Volumes 2 and 3 are also available via Audible (Vol. 3 is 40+ hours!) for a credit each.

/Salute
If you can get through the audio version of the Malazan series and still comprehend what's taking place then you are a man of legend and the heralds should trumpet your name for having the patience to deal with it lol.

ossuary
06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Well my name might give me away but I have recently finished Ready Player One - excellent book!

Currently reading three depending on my mood , which is unusual I"m not a big reader at the best of times.

Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, Dan Brown's Inferno and Natalie Whipple's Transparent

I wondered if your name was from Ready Player One, or just a coincidence. :)

That book made me really nostalgic for my childhood... a lot of the same games and experiences are in there (as, I'm sure, they are for a lot of us).

In case it's not obvious from my previous responses in this thread, I'm kind of an avid reader. ;)

With your taste for both soft (Whipple) and hard (Stephenson) sci-fi, I'm curious if you've read Daemon, by Daniel Suarez? If not, I think it would be right up your alley.

Incidentally, I find it very strange that Natalie Whipple doesn't have a page on wikipedia. I mean, I know she's only got the one novel so far, but it's been pretty well received. She's not THAT obscure. You can't even use the excuse that she's YA. DuPrau had an entry on wikipedia within days of City of Ember coming out, and that was way back in 2003. ;)

keldrin
06-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Currently re-reading Applied Mythology, By Jody Lynn Nye.
Intermixing some of the short stories from H. P. Lovecraft.
After that, going to read Clockwork Angels, by Kevin J. Anderson

ossuary
06-25-2013, 09:08 PM
If you can get through the audio version of the Malazan series and still comprehend what's taking place then you are a man of legend and the heralds should trumpet your name for having the patience to deal with it lol.

Tell me about it! I often listen to audio books at work (coding is tedious), but it usually ends up being much lighter stuff. You have to REALLY concentrate to listen to the audio version of series like Malazan and Game of Thrones... there's too much going on to just sort-of listen to it while you're doing other stuff. :)

Parzival
06-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I wondered if your name was from Ready Player One, or just a coincidence. :)

That book made me really nostalgic for my childhood... a lot of the same games and experiences are in there (as, I'm sure, they are for a lot of us).

In case it's not obvious from my previous responses in this thread, I'm kind of an avid reader. ;)

With your taste for both soft (Whipple) and hard (Stephenson) sci-fi, I'm curious if you've read Daemon, by Daniel Suarez? If not, I think it would be right up your alley.

Incidentally, I find it very strange that Natalie Whipple doesn't have a page on wikipedia. I mean, I know she's only got the one novel so far, but it's been pretty well received. She's not THAT obscure. You can't even use the excuse that she's YA. DuPrau had an entry on wikipedia within days of City of Ember coming out, and that was way back in 2003. ;)

Well I am a DC + RL joined to a PVE focused guild so definitely a seeker of Epic loot. Might change my name to Sir Perzival since theoretically Parzival is already taken.

I don't read much, spend way too much time gaming :D But once Ready Player One hooked me, after he opened the first gate, I couldn't put it down, read till 2am just to finish it.

I was always in video game arcades as a kid, Black Dragon was one of my favourites so it was a great read.

Thanks for the recommendation Ossuary, sounds very interesting might look that one up.

I picked up Transparent on a recommendation from one of the Torment KS updates, she has some great believable characters so I can't wait to see what she writes for Torment.

Tathel
06-26-2013, 05:38 AM
I love Brandon Sanderson, Have read a decent amount of books in general

If you count comics like saga (which i'm reading single issue), i read too much to list really >_<.
Top 3 Comics i'm reading right now: Saga, East of West, Thor God of Thunder

I'm also reading a few old comic collections: Walt Simonson's Thor run, Chris Claremont / Jim lee X-men Omnibus

Bookswise i'm reading: The year of the flood (The sequel to Oryx and Crake, which i highly recommend) and
The Secret History of MI6: 1909-1949

Recent books i finished have been: Dresden Files - Cold Days, Wheel of Time: A Memory of Light

DoctorJoe
06-26-2013, 05:46 AM
The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon Green, 12th book in the series although they're all pretty light, they've all been good reads. Then probably Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin Hearne.

cruaidh
06-26-2013, 06:36 AM
The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon Green, 12th book in the series although they're all pretty light, they've all been good reads. Then probably Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin Hearne.

Also waiting for Hunted

Have read quite a few books recently :
Control Point Myke cole
The Heresy Within and its sequels Rob J Hayes
The Last Kingdom Bernard Cornwell
A Hidden Fire and its sequels Elizabeth Hunter

Branching out into less well known authors as at the speed I read I run out of books by my preferred authors quite quickly but for those after some good reads anything by :

Richard Morgan
Joe Abercombie
Steven Erikson
Jim Butcher
Charlie Huston

All worth a stab

ossuary
06-26-2013, 07:18 AM
It makes me sad to see Abercrombie, Butcher, and Erikson all listed as obscure. :)

I read the First Law series about 6 months ago (tore through all three books in about a week and a half). I really enjoyed Abercrombie's style. I need to make some time to read some of his other stuff. I read The Heroes as well, but nothing else of his yet.

And Jim Butcher is fantastic light reading. I've read the Dresden Files several times, as well as listened to the audio books (read by James Marsters, which is a nice bonus!). And I've had the Codex Alera series sitting on my tablet for about a year now, waiting for a chance to dive in to those. I'll get to it eventually...

NoahBuddy
06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
If you haven't read blood song but enjoyed name of the wind I highly recommend it. thanks for the recommendation. i will look into it.

just wondering if anyone here has read gene wolfe. the book of the new sun, book of the long sun, book of short sun, and the wizard-knight duo all fantastic reads though a little heady at times.

Milamber
06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
One thing to say...
Read "old mans war" by john scalzi

Thank me later

Milamber
06-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Will have to try a few of these posted in here too

KaosSoul
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
The Hobbit

Hatts
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Finished recently:
River of Stars Guy Gaveriel Kay
Antiagon Fire L.E Modesitt Jr
Limits of Power Elizabeth Moon
Reading now:
Consider Phlebas Iain M Banks
On deck:
The Human Division John Scalzi
The Ocean at the end of the Lane Neil Gaiman
Probably more Banks books as I continue to buy them in digital format

ossuary
06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Hatts,

Have you read Guy Gavriel Kay's older stuff, or did you discover him recently? The Fionavar Tapestry is one of my all-time favorites. The 2 Sarantium books make really good use of artistic imagery, and have some interesting ideas about religious imagery as well (especially the vision of the old, worn-out, battle-scarred god). I also really enjoyed Last Light of the Sun; his treatment of the "Norse" analogues reminded me quite a lot of Glen Cook's version from the Dread Empire series. I haven't gotten around to Under Heaven or River of Stars yet, but they're sitting on my tablet begging for my attention. :)

cruaidh
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
It makes me sad to see Abercrombie, Butcher, and Erikson all listed as obscure. :)

I read the First Law series about 6 months ago (tore through all three books in about a week and a half). I really enjoyed Abercrombie's style. I need to make some time to read some of his other stuff. I read The Heroes as well, but nothing else of his yet.

And Jim Butcher is fantastic light reading. I've read the Dresden Files several times, as well as listened to the audio books (read by James Marsters, which is a nice bonus!). And I've had the Codex Alera series sitting on my tablet for about a year now, waiting for a chance to dive in to those. I'll get to it eventually...

I meant that I am now reading more obscure authors ;)

I got into Abercrombie by reading Richard Morgans Blog both of the ones you haven't read of his are very good Best Served cold and Red Country.
I also find Butcher extremely fun to read his books rarely last me a day , another recommendation if you like him Kevin Hearne's series of Novels are in a similar vien .

cruaidh
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
One thing to say...

Thank me later

I've read all of Scalzi stuff and whole heartedly agree

Credendo
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
One thing to say...

Thank me later

I'll second that. Pretty much anything Scalzi writes is worth reading but Old Man's War is by far his best.

Hatts
06-26-2013, 11:11 AM
@Ossuary Yes I am pretty sure I've read everything by GGK, he's one of my favourite authors. They are some of the most lent books in my library, my brother currently has my two Sarantium books... You'll like Under Heaven and River of Stars, he takes on 8th & 12th century China. I found them a bit harder to get in to than some his other books, but I think that's just because of my cultural upbringing. I've had a lot more exposure to western history and mythology than eastern. Like all his books the payoff at the end is very rewarding.

PowderedToastMan
06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Currently re-visiting IT by Stephen King, 1 of my all time favs and nothing ever has scared the BeJesus out of me.....

Recommended!

OmarEpps
06-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Currently re-visiting IT by Stephen King, 1 of my all time favs and nothing ever has scared the BeJesus out of me.....

Recommended!

I finished this for the first time last month. Super good. Really enjoyed it.

Kathy
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm in the Middle of Random Acts of Crazy. I suspect I'm the only one on this board lol.

goblin
06-26-2013, 05:12 PM
That's funny, I just started rereading the Shadow books a couple weeks ago. I stopped between Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant so I could read Earth Afire... about a quarter of the way through that.

Love this series.

Finished Ender's Game a little while ago, but made a conscious decision not to read any of the sequels for fear of all my free time evaporating into a reading binge (like they did for A Song of Ice and Fire).

Kathy
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
ORson Scott Card is a lunatic hate monger as well. Best not spend money on nut wads.

ossuary
06-26-2013, 09:22 PM
ORson Scott Card is a lunatic hate monger as well. Best not spend money on nut wads.

That's what libraries are for.

Hate the man. Love the books. Call me crazy. :)

Zarien
06-27-2013, 01:24 AM
I keep going through fantasy novels as fast as butter melts on pancakes. Already finished what I said I was reading before and now I'm reading the Ryria revelations series. Theft of swords is the starting novel in that series for those interested.

ossuary
06-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Zarien,

Some fantasy authors worth your time if you haven't read them yet and which for the most part haven't been mentioned in this thread yet (some of these are less well-known than others, but all of them are fantastic):
Glen Cook (Dread Empire, Black Company)
Ted Dekker (The Circle)
Stephen Lawhead (King Raven, Pendragon Cycle)
Brent Weeks (Night Angel) - this one's about an immortal assassin... highly recommended!

Also, you can't argue with the "classics," like Terry Pratchett. Or someone prolific, like Terry Goodkind (he declined a fair bit at the end, but the first 4 books are fantastic, and a couple other ones in the later series are very, very good).

Kami
06-27-2013, 06:12 AM

Be that as it may, his writing still holds up in merit. I'm not a supporter of him but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what he's written.

DoctorJoe
06-27-2013, 06:22 AM
That's what libraries are for.

Hate the man. Love the books. Call me crazy. :)

Totally agree. There are a good number of authors that I think are awful as people. Not on the same level, but I really dislike Larry Correia after reading his blog, but his Monster Hunter and Grimnoir Chronicles books were quite enjoyable. We do have the common ground of being firearms enthusiasts though, and authors very often get firearms wrong.

A couple members of the Foo Fighters (not Dave Grohl) were involved in supporting a campaign that believes HIV is not the cause of AIDS. I can still enjoy their music. Art is made by people, but its value is independent of the people who made it. People have different points of view and we should take time to examine others, especially those we don't agree with.

Ju66ernaut
06-27-2013, 08:40 AM
I finished Sanderson's Elantris....So good!!

Hatts
06-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Elantris is probably my favourite Sanderson book, but it's so hard to choose, they are all great.

Draugr
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Elantris is probably my favourite Sanderson book, but it's so hard to choose, they are all great.

I love all of his books but if I had to choose one it would probably be Alloy of Law.

Right Now I'm finishing up the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz, it's pretty good but translated from German so some of the wording/phrasing is kind of weird.

DesertMage
06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Best books ever!

Reading Clash of Kings. Keeping myself just behind the TV series so I don't spoil anything for myself.

Draugr
06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
And I've had the Codex Alera series sitting on my tablet for about a year now, waiting for a chance to dive in to those. I'll get to it eventually...

The Codex Alera is a great series, it has a really cool magic system.

Hatts
06-27-2013, 10:20 AM
The Codex Alera is a great series, it has a really cool magic system.

I love that it was written as a bet that Butcher took that he couldn't write a good story based on a lame idea. He responded he could do it based on two lame ideas and the challenger picked pokemon and a lost roman legion.

Having recently devoured all of the Dresden files in remarkably short order I think I may re-read The Codex Alera, I don't remember being wowed the same way when I read them.

Rtsands45
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Johnny Magic and the Cardshark Kids. It's pretty sweet.

Icepick
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM

Basically everything Sanderson writes is gold. You should check out the short story he wrote set in the same world, The Emperor's Soul. It's very good, and comes with another short story he wrote, Legion, which is absolutely brilliant.

Govir
06-27-2013, 06:13 PM

See I find Elantris to be on the bottom half of good books from Sanderson. My favorite is the Mistborn series (including Alloy of Law), then I'd go with the first The Way of Kings, then Elantris, then Warbreaker (and only because I'm a sucker for some things that happen at the end).

Oh and hello to the thread. I'm currently reading book 1 of the Dark Tower series, The Gunslinger. It's a lot slower paced than I thought it would be, but I'm still liking it. I should mention I've not read any of King's other works.

Books I've read that I recommend (most have already been mentioned):
- Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (and less so the rest of both series, but still read them).
- Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear and inevitably the third book too, when it comes out (Kingkiller Chronicles Day 1 and Day 2).
- Mistborn series (Love the magic system in it).
- The rest of Sanderson's work.
- The Painted Man / The Warded Man (different titles depending on where you are. Author is Peter V. Brett. Second book is not as good, have yet to read third).
- Wizard's First Rule (Start of the Sword of Truth series, venturing beyond that point is iffy).

Or someone prolific, like Terry Goodkind (he declined a fair bit at the end, but the first 4 books are fantastic, and a couple other ones in the later series are very, very good).

I'd have to disagree with you, I'm a fan of Book 1, 2, 4, 6 (probably my favorite of the series), and then I mostly like the last 3, more for the concept of the "conflict" than the resolution of the series. I still can't recommend the whole series to people though.

ossuary
06-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Mostly when I said "the later books," I meant six. I was being kind. ;)

Faith of the Fallen is by far the best book he's ever written... but to get the payoff, you have to have read the rest of the series leading up to it. Even (retch) Soul of the Fire. He was obviously struggling when he got to that point, and then with Pillars of Creation he just went COMPLETELY off the rails.

At least the later books weren't as bad as that godawful TV adaptation they did. I can't even imagine how big the dumptruck of money must have been that they drove up to his door to get him to actually speak highly of that steaming pile of refuse. :)

Govir
06-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Yeah, that's my thoughts on Faith of the Fallen as well. It's really good, but you have to wade through some stuff to get to it.

We do not speak of the TV show. It never happened. But to be fair to Goodkind, I'm pretty sure he signed a bad contract and then the TV Execs ran with away with the story. i.e. He had almost nothing to do with the show's creation.

MastrFett
06-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I love Sanderson too. I read most of his novels a while ago, but just got caught up with Legion, Emperor's Soul, and Firstborn, and now I'm reading his YA book, The Rithmatist. I'm looking forward to the Warbreaker "sequel" too. I really liked Warbreaker.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards Sequence. Before these Sanderson books I read The Lies of Locke Lamora, and Red Seas Under Red Skies. Both of which I thought were excellent, and I can't wait for the next one.

I read the first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger, but I have to admit I was kind of confused at the end. I don't know if I need to reread it, or if things will make more sense if I continue on to book 2.

ossuary
06-29-2013, 08:50 PM
We do not speak of the TV show. It never happened. But to be fair to Goodkind, I'm pretty sure he signed a bad contract and then the TV Execs ran with away with the story. i.e. He had almost nothing to do with the show's creation.

No, he apparently came out saying it was a really great show and that he was proud of it. Like, more than you would do if you were just trying to save face and obey the rules of your contract and not speak ill of something.

Govir
06-30-2013, 06:56 AM
No, he apparently came out saying it was a really great show and that he was proud of it. Like, more than you would do if you were just trying to save face and obey the rules of your contract and not speak ill of something.

Oh, I hadn't heard that. You're right, that definitely sounds like "I made a lot of money, and will make more if they make more seasons, so go watch the show."

firedancer27
06-30-2013, 07:13 AM

When I heard "SOT" was goign to be a TV show I didn't even watch. I was pretty sure it would be a disaster and then I flipped by it one day channel surfing.....I couldn't stop watching...just like a train wreck. The first four books in the series are still probably my favorite run of books in fantasy. They really are the books that got me into the whole fantasy genre in books/gaming. Right now I am finishing up the Shadowmarch tetralogy by Tad Williams. I enjoyed his Otherland series and really liked his novel "War of the Flowers". I enjoy how Williams gives time to developing his characters...some times the story can seem to get off track a little but I prefer a really long detailed story compared to something that just glosses over everything.

Hatts
06-30-2013, 08:44 AM

I heard the exact opposite. They cut him out of the writing process really early on and he wasn't happy with how they interpreted the story or the changes they made.