PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Murder vs Menacing Gralk

funktion
06-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Hey everyone, I just published a new video for you all and this time I feel like I might have gotten it a lot closer to what I'm aiming for. It's definitely a short one and I don't plan for them to all be so short, but I feel like I found something that works.

This is one I'd really like some feedback on, whether it's just to say that you liked it or if you've also got something constructive to say.

Without further ado...

WHAT'S THE PICK!?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhjgTVo2-uw)

Go watch the video then come back and read the rest : P...

I'm definitely reluctant to give away prizes just for the sake of it, I'd rather come up with something fun that other people can actually take part in. So if you'd think you got what it takes, send me a private message and we'll work it out!

Thanks for everything guys!

LargoLaGrande
06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I think that with what we know right now about set 1 they're close enough that this pick really comes down to personal preference. Murder goes into a control deck slightly better, and can be splashed, while the Gralk goes into a tempo based aggro deck better but basically commits you to sapphire. Right now I would probably take Murder, but that would change if sapphire gets more tempo based spells and creatures (which it looks like they will, since we know about the Gralk and Void Leech).

Khazrakh
06-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Well it's really hard to compare those two cards. First pick I'd go with the Menacing Gralk as it can be a winning condition against most draft decks you'll face. Later in a draft you'd only take it if you're already into sapphire while you could splash for Murder anytime you want to.
So yes, it really depends when you get to chose between the two and what your deck looks like so far.

Khazrakh
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
double post

Dralon
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
I think I would still have to go with murder. As much for the fact that It keeps it out of my opponents hands. The less disruption in my gameplay, and the more I can disrupt my opponents gameplay, the better. Plus there is just more flexibility with murder on round 1 pack 1. If the question were card 1 of pack 2 or 3, where you have a better feel for your color direction, that could change.

funktion
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
@ Largo; yeah I think they're super super close actually. So much of it will come down to preference once we see more spoiled. It's just I was going through cards and the thought popped up, there's so few cards that I would consider taking over murder, but Gralk made me do a double take. I think a lot of people might dismiss it at first.

So yes, it really depends when you get to chose between the two and what your deck looks like so far.
Check the vid... this is pick 1 pack 1 first thing.

Alejess
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Like the idea behind the video. As someone who will be totally new to drafting, it’s interesting to hear the thought processes that go on when comparing the relative value of cards.

Avignon
06-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I do not think I could pick between the two without seeing the rest of the pack. For instance, if there was a Corrupted Harvester in the pack I would go the Menacing Gralk. Or if there was a Thunderbird in the pack I would go Murder. This is because I want the people on my left both going into the opposite shard of what I am drafting.

Weighing up what your opponents may pick will enhance what you will get passed in pack 2.

Menacing gralk would be my pick between the two if all other factors are neutral.

DjiN
06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
I expected a draft pick scenario not a card comparison. Think you should either rename your series or just make a 15 card pack 1st pick scenario and keep the name. Decision is also very obvious in this case, Menacing Gralk is a bomb.

Icepick
06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
This video made me laugh, but I'm not entirely sure why!
Anyway it's a pretty tough choice but I'd probably go with the Gralk just because it's rare and Murder is common, so Murder is much more likely to show up again if I decided I wanted to include it. Perhaps not the best logic, but there it is.

DanTheMeek
06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't know that I have anything new to add, but my pick prior to watching the video (and still after watching it) is Menancing Gralk, simply because he's what I consider a Bomb. A flying 3/3 is already solid, but that tap effect can out right win games. Murder is tremendously useful in all formats, and I'd never fault anyone for taking it over Menancing Gralk, but Gralk is one of the cards I'd pass on a Murder to get with my first pick of a draft.

Anyway absolutely LOVE the video theme. I've been having a blast making these sort of tough picks with the Hex Draft simulator, can't wait to see other people's opinions on some of these tough decisions in drafting, and so far you're have seen like the sort of opinions to take notice of.

cavench
06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I would also first pick the Gralk, in hope that Murder will show up in the second pick.

Xintia
06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
The problem I'd have with the Gralk is that so far Sapphire just doesn't look that appealing as a color in draft right now. Granted we still have a lot of cards left to see, but based on what we know now, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable essentially "locking" myself into Sapphire with this pick. Murder is very flexible, doesn't *commit* me fully to Blood as it is easily splashable, and heck... kills the Gralk dead if he gets played on me later.

And from a "signaling" perspective, passing the Gralk could entice your neighbors into Sapphire giving you a clear picture of what the player to your left is likely drafting. But then again I probably "overvalue" that kind of communication in drafts. I always tried to send clear signals to my neighbors whenever possible, and passing a Gralk would surely say, "I'm not Sapphire!" as well as tell your neighbor to "Go Sapphire!"

funktion
06-26-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised so many actually wound up agreeing with me. I had been working on some stuff to help with the database site / simulator and the thought popped into my head. I think I asked 7-8 people and at most one of them might have agreed with me.

After the conversations I realized it might be an interesting video idea and I think I'm gonna do this cage match style video weekly now. Was really easy to do and I definitely like it.

Thanks for all the support guys, glad you enjoyed it!

Aradon
06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
I agree that Gralk is excellent, but I think Murder is the better pick, pack 1. Gralk requires a board presence to be a bomb (and is good otherwise), but murder is excellent in any situation. That's what tipped it for me.

Basically, Murder always goes in your deck as long as you can splash a color, but Gralk not only is situationally good, but goes in a specific deck (a creature-heavy deck that has some decent early plays, i.e. not a control deck). I mean, Gralk's excellent, but murder is just incredibly solid.

Corpselocker
06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
The better question is the Gralk versus Corrupt Harvester.

Aradon
06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Imo, Gralk, easily. Harvester is pretty strong, but won't win the game on the spot. It'll offer good value, but won't kill your opponent. Gralk can win the game on the spot sometimes, and flies the rest of the time.

Icepick
06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
If we're still talking first turn, I'd pick the Gralk over the Harvester. The Harvester is good but as Aradon said, the Gralk can be a game ender. Obviously if its not the first pick it would depend on what my existing plan was, but Gralk is a pretty great card in any case.

Corpselocker
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
We've had a pretty healthy 'bracket' debate on this one. For a limited single 'in the vacuum' pick, we did have a few more people pick the Gralk (10/13) but the arguments for the harvester come down to lower cost for limited and that it is going to get much more action, boosted harvesters have greater potential, blood has more removal and looks to be a better limited draft color, and forcing blood makes the evasion more effective. The Gralk may only be really good when you have board presence. The Gralk may sit in your hand longer, and be less effective, because you are waiting for the optimum play.

At first glance, Gralk may seem superior, but there are a lot of fun variables to discuss with two very strong creatures.

Funktion, sorry if I slightly derailed the thread, but you highlighted one of my favorite cards and I'm fond of comparing oranges to oranges in a 'cage match' :)

Fireblast
06-26-2013, 10:40 PM
The right choice depends on the other 13 cards

~

benczi
06-27-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm surprised this is actually a video. I mean there is way too little information, like this is a pick in a draft, it is first pick first pack, or third pack, am i already in a color or not.

If it's first pack first pick the for me it's really easy, take the card that ends the game on the spot when played, so I think that even the 2 cards that are compared could have been better picked, like another rare, that doesn't just end the game the turn you play it. Also, would be better to have more picks to choose from.

Truhls
06-27-2013, 03:27 AM
The only real thing you need to do is sound like you arent reading from a piece of paper.