PDA

View Full Version : Hex World Championship Tournament ?

Pech
06-25-2013, 10:30 PM
All of the tournaments we mentioned above all award qualifier points

A player will need 10 points in order to play in a World Championship Qualifier Tournament.

World Championship Qualifier Tournaments happen every 4 months and qualify you for the HEX World Championship.

So we compete in 4 month stretch cycles to earn said 10 points that will reset quarterly. Now my question is more geared toward worlds and probably be more speculative than anything.

I assume a certain # or % of people that place in the WQTs will be invited to worlds instead of the top 4 players i.e. just the first place finisher from each WQT or I might be completely wrong. What are your thoughts and speculations on the matter how many people do you think we will see compete at Worlds?

AstaSyneri
06-26-2013, 12:48 AM
For a World Championship you want a decent amount of players to participate. Make it too exclusive and it's no fun.

Typically I'd say there should be between 200 and 400 invites for the World championship, so maybe the first 120 in each qualifier get the invite? That's pure speculation, though, based on tournaments I have seen (not Magic).

Fireblast
06-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Another way to do it would be to have only 16 players in person for a world championship that's very exclusive.

~

Vomitlord
06-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Whatever the eventual qualifying criteria I hope it will be possible to become world champion from my living room. Would not like to see the finals being held in a physical location ie America.

Would be lame to actually qualify ( self delusion my speciality ) and then not be able to participate due to travel/work/ financial issues.

Then again if you won an all expenses trip to the worlds my stance could soften.

ZeroCool
06-26-2013, 05:03 AM
I think it's too early to speculate, but I'd imagine it being much more than 4 people...

Unhurtable
06-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Whatever the eventual qualifying criteria I hope it will be possible to become world champion from my living room. Would not like to see the finals being held in a physical location ie America.

Would be lame to actually qualify ( self delusion my speciality ) and then not be able to participate due to travel/work/ financial issues.

Then again if you won an all expenses trip to the worlds my stance could soften.

I'd be very surprised if CZE would give out all-expenses trips to the qualifiers. In E-Sports at the moment the teams are usually sponsored and the sponsors pay for the trips if there is a physical location event (such as all "World Championships" within E-Sports I've heard about).

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 05:54 AM

Yeah same here it 'd suck to qualify, then the World Championship to be held at Vegas. As for how many ppl will qualify this will really depend on the game's population at the time.

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Yeah same here it 'd suck to qualify, then the World Championship to be held at Vegas.

And you'd go or not go based on whether or not you could afford it. Why would Vegas suck any more than "arbitrary location that is far from where I live?"

ossuary
06-26-2013, 07:25 AM
And you'd go or not go based on whether or not you could afford it. Why would Vegas suck any more than "arbitrary location that is far from where I live?"

Because Vegas is a shitbox? :)

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 07:27 AM

It's modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, but it's easily traveled to from most places in the US or overseas, has ample convention space, and is already where CZE has a track record of running major events. Would you prefer someplace like Fargo, ND?

ZeroCool
06-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Said nobody ever.

:-D

Fireblast
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
The game needs Cash prize for World Champs, the best way to do that is to have it held physically (no gamble online assimilation and international laws).

Actually I think that 16-32 players invited (airfare + hotel) to compete physically for $100K total prize would be the best way to do it.

Conveniently enough it'd be during HEXCon...

~

Vomitlord
06-26-2013, 08:19 AM
I'd be very surprised if CZE would give out all-expenses trips to the qualifiers. In E-Sports at the moment the teams are usually sponsored and the sponsors pay for the trips if there is a physical location event (such as all "World Championships" within E-Sports I've heard about).

Not the qualifiers I think they are all online. I was thinking more the top 8 players in the world for the final showdown.

Nobody is going to sponsor a 36 year old Postman to play an online card game. I can not join some professional clan I have a job and a young daughter taking up my time.

Should this prevent me from being world champ in a game I can play in the corner of my living room. Wouldn't it be a little off if some poor slob like me was the best qualifier but ended up watching players I may have already beat on a twitch feed.

Just to be clear I'd be just as opposed if it was in London, Paris ,Tokyo or Ulan Bator. Was not singling out America or Vegas.

Grissnap
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Tokyo personally, but not bloody likely ;)

Well, if we are looking at a similar prize structure for Hex like CZE has for WoW TCG, they might give travel vouchers to the top winners of the qualifier events. People who place at certain level would also earn a right to attend the event, but would have to pay for their own travel expenses, etc.

Unhurtable
06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Not the qualifiers I think they are all online. I was thinking more the top 8 players in the world for the final showdown.

Nobody is going to sponsor a 36 year old Postman to play an online card game. I can not join some professional clan I have a job and a young daughter taking up my time.

Should this prevent me from being world champ in a game I can play in the corner of my living room. Wouldn't it be a little off if some poor slob like me was the best qualifier but ended up watching players I may have already beat on a twitch feed.

Just to be clear I'd be just as opposed if it was in London, Paris ,Tokyo or Ulan Bator. Was not singling out America or Vegas.

Yeah, I meant championships. *hits self over head*

Also I get your position, don't get me wrong, but I just see it as unlikely. It would be a bit sad if a player that is seen as among the best in the world is not able to participate in the world championship due to location issues.

Nobody assumed you singled out America, I hope. That would be kind of foolish. Even if it was in Europe (assuming most of the playerbase will be split among those two parts of the world) there would still be location issues for the americans in that case.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
If you're seen as the best in the world then I'd be surprised if you don't get sponsored. If you don't have the time to go on a trip then unfortunately that's the way it is. Tournaments are usually just a weekend thing. If you can't spare a weekend (which is understandable) then you wouldn't be able to compete. Even if they had it online which isn't preferable for publicity you would still need that time slot open.

Vomitlord
06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Time would probably not be an issue I'm sure even my employer would give me time off if I had a chance to be world champion. Even money may be overcome as a one off in my case.

What I'm getting at is the idea that only certain kind of people could be big players. In other words pro players with deep pockets who could travel the world playing. I'm reminded off the achievement within mtg planeswalker points for playing on 5 different continents!!!!! There's a certain elitism within tcgs that hex does not need to copy.

Given this isn't physical I'd see no need for that kind of pro tour. In this day and age the game could have it's celebrities anyway.

Again I'm unlikely to qualify anyway( like playing big monsters and have aversion to playing counterspells) but on principle it would be nice if a bed ridden 80 year old could be world champ just as easily as a 20 year old college student.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
The championship isn't just about crowning a victor and creating celebrities. It's about publicity and getting people into the game. I don't think sponsors will take you out of consideration if you are THAT good. I'll take a skilled 70 year old over a less skilled youngin'. The more different you are the more you'll be recognized, assuming you have the skill to back it up. Honestly though, most people don't need to worry about that. The unfortunate truth is that a very very small percentage of people will reach that type of competitive play.

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

I used Vegas as an example of a far away location and because since Hexcon will be there it would make sense that they combine both events. Never been there and can't tell whether its a shithbox or not :p

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 09:46 AM
What I'm getting at is the idea that only certain kind of people could be big players. In other words pro players with deep pockets who could travel the world playing. I'm reminded off the achievement within mtg planeswalker points for playing on 5 different continents!!!!! There's a certain elitism within tcgs that hex does not need to copy.

Given this isn't physical I'd see no need for that kind of pro tour. In this day and age the game could have it's celebrities anyway.

Being a pro doesn't necessarily mean that u have deep pockets; most pros use their earnings to fund the trips to next events, choose events that are near their hometowns, or they have friends to house and partially feed them when in another town. Most well known pros are also sponsored by companies like starcity and others.

Since however i have no intention of being a pro, i would prefer, if invited, to play from my home

stiii
06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't think starcity is paying for anyone's flights. Sponsorship in magic might be cards for a deck but anything more is pretty much unheard of.

People are being really optimistic in thinking anyone is getting sponsored.

Vomitlord
06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Since however i have no intention of being a pro, i would prefer, if invited, to play from my home

+1

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't think starcity is paying for anyone's flights. Sponsorship in magic might be cards for a deck but anything more is pretty much unheard of.

People are being really optimistic in thinking anyone is getting sponsored.

I was under the impression that Kibler/Chapin etc were sponsored to participate in big events by starciry;isn't starcity using them as advertisers/promoters and flagbeares of their business ?

MrCwis
06-26-2013, 10:17 AM
The Pro Players Club (https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=protour/playersclub/guidelines) that WotC use is actually quite awesome if you're lucky enough to make it to platium, which I know there aren't many of but still, being paid to travel the world and play magic is a pretty sweet deal. I can't imagine this working in Hex since it's digital and not physical, but it does show that a company encourages the best players to compete, so there is more pubblicity for the events and the game in general.

Madican
06-26-2013, 10:18 AM
If I have to physically go to the event then I can never achieve my dream of becoming a world champion while in my underpants.

MrCwis
06-26-2013, 10:28 AM
If I have to physically go to the event then I can never achieve my dream of becoming a world champion while in my underpants.

You could just wear your underpants to the event? or wear a bathrobe while in your underpants.

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM

In toilet with ur tablet sounds even better :p

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 10:42 AM
You can't have a legitimate "World Championship" without bringing people together physically. You'd never know who was actually playing, whether or not they were receiving help, etc. Add significant cash to that equation, and there's even more incentive to ensure fair play. And that means bringing people together, checking IDs, playing in the same room with oversight and exactly the same conditions, etc.

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 10:52 AM
You can't have a legitimate "World Championship" without bringing people together physically. You'd never know who was actually playing, whether or not they were receiving help, etc. Add significant cash to that equation, and there's even more incentive to ensure fair play. And that means bringing people together, checking IDs, playing in the same room with oversight and exactly the same conditions, etc.

This man, he gets it. It's also the opportunity to publicize the living daylights out of the event and create a spectacle. Otherwise, it's just shoveling money into player's pockets without maximizing return on the positive PR.

stiii
06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I was under the impression that Kibler/Chapin etc were sponsored to participate in big events by starciry;isn't starcity using them as advertisers/promoters and flagbeares of their business ?

I think they just provide cards and pay them for articles. Wizards and SCG do have pro level clubs that provide benefits but that isn't the same.

My team borrowed playsets of cards for PT barcelona but I've never heard of anyone getting more than this.

Madican
06-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't really get the thing about knowing who's really playing. Let's say that I let my friend play the world championship I earned an invite to online and he massacres everyone he faces. Whether he was specifically invited or not, he defeated everyone and earned the title of world champion. If someone lets someone else play for them and they win on their own merits then what's the problem?

This is a digital TCG. That means escaping the trappings of the physical game.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't really get the thing about knowing who's really playing. Let's say that I let my friend play the world championship I earned an invite to online and he massacres everyone he faces. Whether he was specifically invited or not, he defeated everyone and earned the title of world champion. If someone lets someone else play for them and they win on their own merits then what's the problem?

He is not you and "you" have just won the championship. Invites could be sold if no identity is confirmed. You could also have your whole team by you telling you which move is best. That's a big problem. Ever try to go to a tournament and try to give advice to a player during a match? Lol.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 11:19 AM

It's a complete farce if someone can play for you. No integrity whatsoever.

I'm sure you could devise a scheme to somewhat make sure the invited players were actually playing involving constant video surveillance, etc. but you'd still be leaving the door open to people getting coaching, extra information, etc. And, when you have to take those sorts of precautions, it just makes sense to get people together physically.

Just because the game allows us to escape the "trappings of a physical game" in most ways, doesn't mean that you're a slave to them in others, especially if you want to get the best in the world together to crown a champion.

Also, the earlier points that were made about marketing and getting a ROI from the prize money investment are a huge deal. That all fizzles with a virtual tournament.

funktion
06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
I could see it being either top 16 or top 32 of the qualifier making it to worlds. In the first year, the game is not going to have a massive pool of people playing competitively like other games. If it is anything like what you were saying with the top 100 getting it, that's going to be like the top 25% of the qualifier tournament. Pretty much anyone could make it to worlds at that point considering there will be multiple qualifiers.

Madican
06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Again, let it be pointed out that by forcing a physical tournament you do not convene the world's best, only the ones who have both skill and money and leeway to take off for a weekend to some part of the world.

If there is even a single person who can't attend for lack of funds and is better than someone who filled their gap, then the whole "gather the best" ideal is a farce.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Again, let it be pointed out that by forcing a physical tournament you do not convene the world's best, only the ones who have both skill and money and leeway to take off for a weekend to some part of the world.

If there is even a single person who can't attend for lack of funds and is better than someone who filled their gap, then the whole "gather the best" ideal is a farce.

That's a reasonable point, but it's not a "farce" under those circumstances. Let's face it, rarely do you get all of the best convened for a World Championship - illness, injury, scheduling issues, appearance fee machinations, etc.

Having a virtual tournament doesn't guarantee that all of the best players will be represented either AND introduces all sorts of potential integrity destroying variables.

Now... you could have, say, a North America Pod, a Europe Pod, and an AsiaPac Pod that got together in 3 disparate locations, but that were each monitored properly by CZE, etc. and you could play across Pods as necessary to get to the ultimate champion. A marriage of physical and virtual, giving people at least a few options about where to go to participate. There'd be some timing issues for sure - but playing late at night or early in the morning might be a small price to pay so that you didn't have to travel all the way to Vegas.

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Although i would prefer to play at home for various reasons (job, expenses) i think what Colin says is most likely to happen for the reasons he mentioned

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Now... you could have, say, a North America Pod, a Europe Pod, and an AsiaPac Pod that got together in 3 disparate locations, but that were each monitored properly by CZE, etc. and you could play across Pods as necessary to get to the ultimate champion. A marriage of physical and virtual, giving people at least a few options about where to go to participate. There'd be some timing issues for sure - but playing late at night or early in the morning might be a small price to pay so that you didn't have to travel all the way to Vegas.

The more I think about this, the better I like it. And Hex is the only TCG it would be enable this sort of tournament setup - it really takes advantage of the first truly digital TCG.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
The more I think about this, the better I like it. And Hex is the only TCG it would be enable this sort of tournament setup - it really takes advantage of the first truly digital TCG.

Functionally the idea would work, but it severely lacks the publicity aspect that is a major reason for having the tournament to begin with. Unfortunately I don't think a live event is replaceable.

Unhurtable
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Just like there is not a 100% certainty that the world championships of any game or sport actually goes to the person/team that is the best.

Even if everyone who qualified had paid trips to the world championship of Hex, the best player could still be eliminated in the first round due to manascrew.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Functionally the idea would work, but it severely lacks the publicity aspect that is a major reason for having the tournament to begin with. Unfortunately I don't think a live event is replaceable.

How so? You're having a World Championship on steroids! It's happening on 3 continents at the same time! And, people are playing each other across continents in real time! You have specific marketing and publicity for all 3 regions individually and for the combination of the 3. Sure, it's a complex undertaking to do 3 tournaments on 3 different continents at the same time, and, more so, to coordinate everything, but it's not impossible and the payoff could be significant.

Granted, it's mildly interesting to see 2 people head to head in the same place, but less so in Hex given they'd both be staring at their computer screens anyway. The spectator modes will be just as effective no matter which Pod you're viewing from.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
How so? You're having a World Championship on steroids! It's happening on 3 continents at the same time! And, people are playing each other across continents in real time! You have specific marketing and publicity for all 3 regions individually and for the combination of the 3. Sure, it's a complex undertaking to do 3 tournaments on 3 different continents at the same time, and, more so, to coordinate everything, but it's not impossible and the payoff could be significant.

Granted, it's mildly interesting to see 2 people head to head in the same place, but less so in Hex given they'd both be staring at their computer screens anyway. The spectator modes will be just as effective no matter which Pod you're viewing from.

How do you get coverage/commentating on an event like this? I guess you could just put voice over the feed? Maybe have journalists in those pods? Maybe an event for spectators to gather up and watch the event with commentators? What did you have in mind?

I just don't know how that would work for the publicity side of things. Real life conventions bring more people in than just the people already interested in Hex. All the geek culture people in the area usually attend. I think seeing the body language of players adds to the competition and makes it more interesting for spectators Also, CZE has already stated that they will have live events when asked about esports.

Avedecus
06-26-2013, 12:28 PM
As far as sponsorships go, if Hex really makes a mark as an esport and gets taken seriously by the industry I can easily see the usual names making appearances to sponsor players/teams.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
How do you get coverage/commentating on an event like this? I guess you could just put voice over the feed? Maybe have journalists in those pods? Maybe an event for spectators to gather up and watch the event with commentators? What did you have in mind?

I just don't know how that would work for the publicity side of things. Real life conventions bring more people in than just the people already interested in Hex. All the geek culture people in the area usually attend. I think seeing the body language of players adds to the competition and makes it more interesting for spectators Also, CZE has already stated that they will have live events when asked about esports.

A convention associated with each Pod certainly. No reason not to have the full experience in each region. The key difference is that you can easily have matches between people who are not co-located. Do you really lose anything when you're watching a match if one of the guys is actually remote, but you can still see the match and maybe even video of the remote competitor? Remember I'm not opposed to virtual tournaments because they're virtual, but because of the shenanigans that are possible (and have been discussed previously).

Commentators could be live or remote - shouldn't matter much given the tools that will be available for watching matches. Live would be great though - could open up some really interesting coverage possibilities when 2 commentators are tag-teaming the coverage because they're both with one of the participants on different continents.

The time zone-related issues trouble me. I'd be happy to be completely time-shifted for a con - it could probably even be used as a marketing ploy. But it could be considered unfair. At the end of the day though, it's potentially much fairer than making people travel who can't afford to AND you could always travel to the location that had the time zone advantage (i.e. normal hours).

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
On the note of convention for each pod, this could work. This would fulfill the publicity requirement. I'm not sure this solves the problem for the people that can't afford it. Does it? Having a pod would still require a location that they would have to go to. I guess it would depend on how many pods.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
On the note of convention for each pod, this could work. This would fulfill the publicity requirement. I'm not sure this solves the problem for the people that can't afford it. Does it? Having a pod would still require a location that they would have to go to. I guess it would depend on how many pods.

That's always the million dollar question. How many Pods? More Pods (good!) = more access (good!) = exponentially increasing logistics complexity (challenging!).

My job frequently involves managing programs of events all happening concurrently in multiple countries - there are definitely challenges.

You start out with a few. Get good at it. And then incrementally ramp up the complexity. 5 years from now there might be 10 Pods. Who knows...

hammer
06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
totally off topic - but I have to say Hex_Colin is a credit to the hex community. Everything he says is well constructed, he is generous, helpful and obviously believes in Hex judging by his array of tiers.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
totally off topic - but I have to say Hex_Colin is a credit to the hex community. Everything he says is well constructed, he is generous, helpful and obviously believes in Hex judging by his array of tiers.

And he doesn't take offense if I poke at his ideas. A lot of people get defensive at the slightest sign of opposition. If you find holes in the ideas then you can work on strengthening them.

Brumby66
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
That's always the million dollar question. How many Pods? More Pods (good!) = more access (good!) = exponentially increasing logistics complexity (challenging!).

My job frequently involves managing programs of events all happening concurrently in multiple countries - there are definitely challenges.

You start out with a few. Get good at it. And then incrementally ramp up the complexity. 5 years from now there might be 10 Pods. Who knows...

Yeah it would be hard to find the right number. Too few and there's not enough availability, too many and it becomes expensive. I wouldn't mind seeing pods up until the top 4-8. Then maybe those last few could have travel accommodations for a tournament finale.

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
And he doesn't take offense if I poke at his ideas. A lot of people get defensive at the slightest sign of opposition. If you find holes in the ideas then you can work on strengthening them.

Thanks, guys! Like many in this community, I'm just really excited about the possibilities for Hex. We throw around "game-changer" way too much in society nowadays, but Hex really can be! It's just really interesting to me to "think differently" (to steal from Steve) about how the game might progress. We're guaranteed to be mostly wrong ;) - but if you don't talk about all the possible ideas from all sides, you don't make progress.

Also, constructively poking holes in people's ideas is definitely one of the best ways to either strengthen the idea, or quickly discard it.

Fireblast
06-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Online qualifiers / Lifetime points etc to get the top 32 invited (expenses paid by CZE) to compete for the finals during HEXCon.

That's most likely how it's gonna happen, which saddens me cause I hate planes :p

~

hex_colin
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
...which saddens me cause I hate planes :p

I don't have that luxury. I just stepped off my 80th flight... this calendar year... ;)

stiii
06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I think the biggest issue would be prizes prize, I don't think they can pay out cash prizes? Although maybe winning $10k in plat isn't so bad if you don't have to leave your house.

Unhurtable
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
I think the biggest issue would be prizes prize, I don't think they can pay out cash prizes? Although maybe winning $10k in plat isn't so bad if you don't have to leave your house.

Why wouldn't they be able?

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
It will really depend on the success of the game, and the money they will be making in the process; prizes will definately be a cut from their annual revenue so don't expect big prizes if hex doesn't have at least 300k ppl by the time the World championship is announced

Tinuvas
06-26-2013, 05:01 PM
On the contrary, as mentioned above you get 3 times the chance for publicity! I am not sure that CZE could do this the first time around, but the digital aspect of the game creates the chance to do these 'pod' world tourneys like no one in the physical world ever could. This would be a HUGE opportunity, NOT a detriment!

Starcraft 2 doesn't have people staring each other in the face and they have a solid esports presence. I don't think that it's needed.

The time zone-related issues trouble me. I'd be happy to be completely time-shifted for a con - it could probably even be used as a marketing ploy. But it could be considered unfair. At the end of the day though, it's potentially much fairer than making people travel who can't afford to AND you could always travel to the location that had the time zone advantage (i.e. normal hours).

Time zones, ugg. I'm sure CZE could come up with something that approaches fair...

I don't have that luxury. I just stepped off my 80th flight... this calendar year... ;)
lol. I love flying and I wouldn't want to do it THAT much.

stiii
06-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Why wouldn't they be able?

Gambling laws. Even if everything is very different to poker companies don't want to risk it.

Avedecus
06-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Gambling laws. Even if everything is very different to poker companies don't want to risk it.

Winning money online and winning money playing an online game in a structured tournament are two very different things, legally speaking.

stiii
06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Winning money online and winning money playing an online game in a structured tournament are two very different things, legally speaking.

Which rather misses the point.

Avedecus
06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Which rather misses the point.

Tournaments with cash prizes are not treated the same as gambling. I don't know where you got that idea.

Grissnap
06-26-2013, 09:37 PM
He's not disputing that it might be completely different to other online gamblng like poker but the point is that even though what you are saying may be 100% accurate, it is still grey enough that companies are not willing to take the risk. That's the point you missed.

Fireblast
06-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Playing HEX or SC2 is the same thing, legally speaking

~

Avedecus
06-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Or League, or any FPS, or any fighting game etc. If it couldn't be done, companies wouldn't have been doing it for years.

Grissnap
06-27-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty clueless, but don't they tend to attend those tournaments in person, not online, to win money?

Edit: Some lazy investigation leads me to find that there are at least SC2 events with prizes hosted online. But it also appears that Blizzard isn't the one hosting these tournaments, which seems to be a pretty germaine to the argument.

Rapkannibale
06-27-2013, 01:11 AM
As much as I would like to participate in the WC (don't think I will be good enough but a man is allowed to dream right?) the fact of the matter is that being a "pro" at anything requires tremendous dedication and sacrifices in other parts of your life. It would be awesome if the event happened online but I think it is unlikely for several reasons:

- it would be harder to ensure no cheating is going on
- it would create less if a buzz as there is no real "event" going on
- usually the companies hosting these events also use them as a promotional tool for the game. Having a televised (streamed) event in a physical location where they can interview players, attract new players etc is in the company's interest

A lot if making it to the World Championship is grinding events which means people that have the time and money to travel to as many qualifiers as possible have more chances at making it to worlds. Some "famous" players even get appearance fees in magic just for showing up which makes the grind even easier and more profitable.

As much as I hope CZE finds a way to move away from this system that can be a bit alienating I don't think it will be possible. Here is hoping CZE surprises us. :)

AstaSyneri
06-27-2013, 04:36 AM
The thing is that Hex is the first major online TCG. I daresay a significant number of players are flocking to Hex, exactly because they are not free to travel, due to whatever reason.

Not having the World Championship online would take away the "highest prize" from this large (?) group.

Plus: How would you organize a local tournament? You'd have to supply the IT infrastructure for X players.

I certainly hope this will remain an online only game, otherwise I predict many players who are excited about it right now will leave in disappointment.

Chiany
06-27-2013, 04:55 AM
The thing is that Hex is the first major online TCG. I daresay a significant number of players are flocking to Hex, exactly because they are not free to travel, due to whatever reason.

This is indeed one of the reasons I stopped playing the WoW TCG, because most of the times the Worlds is the US, and that's it not worth it for me.
Should that exclude me?

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 05:17 AM
This is indeed one of the reasons I stopped playing the WoW TCG, because most of the times the Worlds is the US, and that's it not worth it for me.
Should that exclude me?

Nope. Playing at the comfort of my home was the reason that initially sold me to hex; I'm 32 and despite not having a family yet, i'm on a heavy work schedule, with precious few hours left for gaming. I can get behind the reasons why cze will decide to hold an event of this scale to a place of choice, but it would suck if i manage to qualify but not being able to attend

Icepick
06-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Didn't CZE already say in one of their streams that having physical events would defeat the point of it being a digital tcg? I can't be 100% sure, but I think they already said that these kinds of events will be happening online.
But yeah, it's digital nature is what interested me. I've not been able to properly play a TCG for a very long time simply for lack of people to play against.

Unhurtable
06-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Didn't CZE already say in one of their streams that having physical events would defeat the point of it being a digital tcg? I can't be 100% sure, but I think they already said that these kinds of events will be happening online.
But yeah, it's digital nature is what interested me. I've not been able to properly play a TCG for a very long time simply for lack of people to play against.

I'd like to see this clip since it would essentially confirm an online championship, but I'll remain skeptical for now.

On another hand I don't particularly see it as reasonable. The reason other digital games have physical events is for prestige / PR and the insurance that nobody is being assisted.

Brumby66
06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

"I heard you guys plan to grow HEX as an eSport and that the game will be designed with an infrastructure that is conducive to streaming on sites like TwitchTV along with hosting live tournament events.

Cory: The idea that there isn't a super robust eSports component to any digital TCG today is criminal in my opinion. We want to support both online and live events for HEX. Having a world championship event and crowning a world champ is a major step towards incentivizing top-tier competitive play. We already have a dedicated TwitchTV channel for HEX and we will be implementing a spectator arena mode in the game for players who enjoy watching high level matches and discovering the full potential of the game."

Vomitlord
06-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Having thought about it a good idea would be to have the world champs, pro tour (with ability to attend a physical event a condition of entering qualifying tournaments) but also have a separate event online only.

Call it the international open or something with the top 1000 players or so getting in . Have tons of boosters or complete set of foils as 1st prize. I think If they did this everybody would be happy.

Vomitlord international open winner has a nice ring to it.

majin
06-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Majin international open winner has a nice ring to it.

that's better :)