PDA

View Full Version : Hex Guild Chat and Game Chat funtionality?

Garod
06-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Hi Hex team,

Can someone confirm if Hex will have guild chat and game chat functionality built in?
Since this is an MMO I think that's a pretty crucial part of the experience. Being able to chat with your guild and with the people you are playing with is pretty important.

Advantages:
- Helps guilds build community
- Helps people be taught about TCG's through game and chat
- Makes for a fun experience if you can play your friends or foes and be able to speak to them at the same time
- Helps with communication and strategy during raid fights
- Can have chat groups for viewer participants in tournaments
etc etc

Implementation:
- Guilds should be able to create multiple chat rooms for different purposes
- When battling with a non AI opponent you should be able to chat with them
- Tournaments should also feature chat rooms where the general public can discuss the game.

Regards,
G

Arbiter
06-26-2013, 03:01 AM
I have yet to be convinced that allowing viewers in tournaments is a good idea.

Tournaments pose an interesting question with respect to chat. That is, when a player is in a tournament should he be locked only to a chat channel within a tournament and be unable to receive whispers and see guild and other chat channels?

To allow a player access to other chats allows for coaching. This is even more of an issue if spectators are allowed to watch the game.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a player restricted in the ability to chat during tournaments. Whispering likely should be turned off at the very least. They may leave chat open on the basis that people could use voice chat anyway, but if they want to engender serious play for serious rewards they are going to have to restrict chat access at some tournament levels.

Arbiter
06-26-2013, 03:13 AM
I forgot to reply to your post...

I would love to see more capability for guild chat rooms than just "officer" and guild chat. In fact, guild chat with the capability to make any number of guild rooms would be good.

Custom chat channels are a great way to build community. They let cross guild special interest groups form, which is good for the overall health of the community.

I would be very surprised if Hex did not have chat. Hearthstone identified that they were not going to have chat very early on. I expect the traditional range of MMO chat features (filters, reports, ignore, friends, whispers, etc) in the game.

One other thing I would like to see is multiple trade rooms. Trading in an MMO TCG should be a big part of the game, and I'd hate to see the chat drowned out in it. I think being able to go to the "Wild Inn" to participate in trades on Wild cards (or the "Blood Bank" for Blood, etc) would be great. So players know where they can go to trade for or away the goods that they want. I think a healthy trade environment to complement the Auction House would be a great thing to have, but with everyone on one server, it would not be a good thing to have everyone connected to and seeing the same trade channel all the time.

It would be kind of amusing if they allowed you to chat to the AIs while you were playing as well, and set up some AI chat algorithms :-)

Garod
06-26-2013, 03:25 AM
Arbiter completely understand your concern on the tournament, although not allowing chat for the player isn't really a solution since he could simply have another machine running that chat and listening in through that account.
The only way to deal with it would be to delay the stream of the tournament by 20 minutes or even if it's finished to avoid coaching etc. This would then allow people to kind of review the tournament game chat about it while still maintaining the integrity of it.
For everyone else it would seem "live" even though in reality it's already happened in the past.

Chiany
06-26-2013, 03:37 AM
The only way to deal with it would be to delay the stream of the tournament by 20 minutes or even if it's finished to avoid coaching etc. This would then allow people to kind of review the tournament game chat about it while still maintaining the integrity of it.
For everyone else it would seem "live" even though in reality it's already happened in the past.

This would be a good option, better then the "live" one.

It would even give the involved players to watch it back later and discuss plays etc.

Arbiter
06-26-2013, 04:23 AM
Arbiter completely understand your concern on the tournament, although not allowing chat for the player isn't really a solution since he could simply have another machine running that chat and listening in through that account.

Yes, I know, not to mention they may be getting coaching / advice on Vent, or even in real life by someone else. I was mostly pointing out the reasons why Tournament play may not allow total free for all chatting. I could see them going either way.

As a player, I actually want the option of "do not disturb" for players in tournaments. I remember playing MtGO many years ago and playing an opponent and getting spam trade invites when I was close to a win but short on time. Being able to shut out things like that when playing tournaments will be important.

Lunarath
06-26-2013, 04:27 AM
I have yet to be convinced that allowing viewers in tournaments is a good idea.

Tournaments pose an interesting question with respect to chat. That is, when a player is in a tournament should he be locked only to a chat channel within a tournament and be unable to receive whispers and see guild and other chat channels?

To allow a player access to other chats allows for coaching. This is even more of an issue if spectators are allowed to watch the game.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a player restricted in the ability to chat during tournaments. Whispering likely should be turned off at the very least. They may leave chat open on the basis that people could use voice chat anyway, but if they want to engender serious play for serious rewards they are going to have to restrict chat access at some tournament levels.

What i would suggest is just having spectators not be able to see either hand, and with a few min delay (5 maybe) I think that would solve the problems

ZeroCool
06-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Allowing spectators is a terrible idea. Regardless of whether there is a clan chat or something of the likes, people will always communicate with their partner, and allowing them to see their opponents hand is awful.

Unless spectator mode involved only seeing the cards as they are played, I'm def. against this idea.

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Allowing spectators is a terrible idea. Regardless of whether there is a clan chat or something of the likes, people will always communicate with their partner, and allowing them to see their opponents hand is awful.

Unless spectator mode involved only seeing the cards as they are played, I'm def. against this idea.

Or LoL-style 3 minute delays on matches in Spectator Mode. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Garod
06-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Guys let's get back on topic, the topic isn't should there be spectator etc but it's with regards to chat options within Hex

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Guys let's get back on topic, the topic isn't should there be spectator etc but it's with regards to chat options within Hex

I presume there will be some. Or are you questioning CZE's ability to include one of the features that almost defines online gaming, namely the ability to communicate by typing to fellow players?

Garod
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
F;eckenwhatever, it's more the voice chat ability which I'm interested in. I'm part of a guild and we are contemplating getting a teamspeak server but if it's integrated in HEX it won't be necessary.

Fleckenwhatever
06-26-2013, 01:48 PM
So this list which mentions integrated audio talk-to-people chat once:

- Makes for a fun experience if you can play your friends or foes and be able to speak to them at the same time

is your primary interest? I'm sorry, I didn't follow your priorities. My off-the-cuff response is that the answer is likely no, as there are several third party programs that do precisely what you're looking for for free or inexpensively. WoW rolled out integrated voice chat years ago and it went away almost immediately as being both redundant and unwelcome. Why reinvent the wheel to create VoIP chat, taking on the extra bandwidth cost and implementation fees, not to mention open the door to possible player harassment that you'd be obligated to follow up on as it's using an in-game vehicle, to duplicate what Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, or Teamspeak can all do for the community already?

Most of your positives are valid, but aside from providing a basic chat interface to allow for communication between strangers (your opponent or trade partner, for instance), I don't think that CZE would be much interested in taking on that project for nominal gain to them.

Arbiter
06-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I didn't realise you meant voice chat. I doubt that will be in-game, there are enough external applications for it, and aside from raids there really is no grouping (which is about the only place it gets implemented, usually badly, in an mmo).

It definitely won't happen in tournaments. Too much potential for abuse (even those games with in game chat availability do not allow you to speak to your opponent). At least chat logs can be easily stored and referenced. Were you to allow it, you'd almost need to have moderators in game.