PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons Dungeons Dungeons!

Icepick
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
In todays article on Casual Hex, I ponder some of the concepts and questions posed by what we've seen of the PvE dungeons so far. Take a look here - http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/26/dungeon-explorer/ (http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/26/dungeon-explorer/)!

In other news, Casual Hex is now on Twitter! Follow at @Casual_Hex (https://twitter.com/Casual_Hex) for a direct feed into my brain!

As always, comments, criticisms and suggests are always welcome!
Thanks!

Shadowelf
06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Interesting read and nice recap :)

ZeroCool
06-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Man, I hope they aren't too dark and scary....

Massabik
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Very nice recap! PvE is what I am looking the most forward to.

keldrin
06-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Thankyou for the recap. Fun read.
And I hope the dungeons are kinda scary ;)

HyenaNipples
06-27-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm wondering what kind of frustration factor these dungeons are going to induce. How many times might people be willing to fight their way through the dungeon and the fatigue of their own deck, only to crash and burn against the same A.I. zaniness. It will be interesting to see how they make game after A.I. game entertaining.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Man, I hope they aren't too dark and scary....

I prefer mine scary, creepy and gloomy :)

Icepick
06-27-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm wondering what kind of frustration factor these dungeons are going to induce. How many times might people be willing to fight their way through the dungeon and the fatigue of their own deck, only to crash and burn against the same A.I. zaniness. It will be interesting to see how they make game after A.I. game entertaining.

You get 3 "lives" in each dungeon, so if you fail you can always try again. Not sure if dungeons are going to have sideboards, but if they do you can switch around your deck a little, and failing that you can try one of the mercenaries. I'm sure that some of them will be difficulty to the point that it might take a few attempts, but they seem to have ways around you feeling like you're just throwing yourself at a brick wall repeatedly.

Ju66ernaut
06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the article. Every time I get excited about PvP I learn something new about PvE. They keep going back and forth, trumping one another.

Xintia
06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I am actually more excited for the PvE side of the game than the PvP, mostly due to the cost involved in competitive play. That said, I do worry about them going "overboard" with giving the AI unique cards and changing the basic game rules with some of the dungeon conditions. I understand the need to create unique and challenging scenarios, but I still want the game to "feel" like Hex, if you get my meaning. If the basic game conditions are being changed so radically, it can end up feeling like a different game entirely. That would end up feeling frustrating to me.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 10:11 AM
I kinda hope there will be a sideboard option. Given the fact that the nature of the encounters will vary, it would suck when u realize mid dungeon that ur deck can't cut it due to the lack of aoe, burst dmg etc. I've been reading somewhere that u will be able to tweak ur deck somehow, but i don't know whether this will mean sideboards or somethimg else

Icepick
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Well, there's the Mercenary stuff as I said. Not 100% clear on how it works but as I understand it you get to make a new deck for the Mercenary character and use that instead. Plus, given the length of the dungeons, I'd be surprised if there wasn't *some* way of switching out some cards in your deck part way through.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
The only reason cze will have of not allowing sideboarding atm, will be potential lotus exploitation; u know 4 lotuses maindeck, then as many as u like/allowed to sideboard for constant reuse. The only thing that holds lotus in check atm is that it turns into tiger after use, and thus preventing u from spamming it each encounter.

facade
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I would imagine different dungeons might have different rules regarding deck modification, but I would think the norm is that you are locked into a single deck for the whole encounter.

For example, the Kraken throwing troops out of your deck really is only a penalty if you are restricted to the same deck for the whole dungeon. In addition, part of the appeal of a dungeon is choosing your weapon and venturing forth; it would break the flow / contradict flavor / reduce the tension if you can swap your deck between fights. In a traditional RPG, it would akin to running back to town between every single fight.

But I would assume there would definitely be features that help reduce the strain of only having access to a single deck. First, PvE seems to use ridiculous power with both the Champion abilities and the abilities that equipment grants to cards. The extra power will definitely favor the player in fair fights (of course, nothing says the dungeon encounters will be fighting fair). In addition, the article on PvE games mentions some quests that are only a single battle. I would assume that these single battles can be used to help practice and tune a deck against particular strategies that you would see in a dungeon. Lastly, there could be side boards to help a deck adapt to different types of strategies.

Turtlewing
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
The only reason cze will have of not allowing sideboarding atm, will be potential lotus exploitation; u know 4 lotuses maindeck, then as many as u like/allowed to sideboard for constant reuse. The only thing that holds lotus in check atm is that it turns into tiger after use, and thus preventing u from spamming it each encounter.

I don't think lotus is actually that powerful. Also the consumable nature will make consuming them every single encounter undesirable anyway due to cost of replacement.

If they copied magic and allowed a 15 card sideboard, there are almost certainly better choices than 15 spectral lotus for most deck's sideboards.

Icepick
06-27-2013, 04:30 PM
If there is a sideboard, I doubt it will let you break normal deck building rules. Ie, if you already have 4 Spectral Lotus' in your deck, I doubt it will let you have more in your sideboard as it will take you over the limit of 4.

fitzle
06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Good article Icepick! Nice preview of what we have coming up!

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 05:11 PM

The limited supply and therefore high price (at least to be spamming them the way you're talking about) should keep this in check. It would be difficult to do this in every dungeon given the limited availability especially if the game really takes off and there's a very high number of people without lotus gardens.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
If there is a sideboard, I doubt it will let you break normal deck building rules. Ie, if you already have 4 Spectral Lotus' in your deck, I doubt it will let you have more in your sideboard as it will take you over the limit of 4.

You are absolutely right, how silly of me forgetting the card limits; although with the precious few info we have on the matter, we can practically assume anything. It might be no sideboard afterall, and tweaking can mean from sideboarding, to 4 cards each encounter selected by ur colllection.

The limited supply and therefore high price (at least to be spamming them the way you're talking about) should keep this in check. It would be difficult to do this in every dungeon given the limited availability especially if the game really takes off and there's a very high number of people without lotus gardens.

True talked about it in various other threads; maybe that was cze's assumption too, that demand will overcome supply, and thus keep the lotus in check (playwise, not in the market :p). But the price of lotus deserves its own thread...

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 06:59 PM
You are absolutely right, how silly of me forgetting the card limits; although with the precious few info we have on the matter, we can practically assume anything. It might be no sideboard afterall, and tweaking can mean from sideboarding, to 4 cards each encounter selected by ur colllection.

True talked about it in various other threads; maybe that was cze's assumption too, that demand will overcome supply, and thus keep the lotus in check (playwise, not in the market :p). But the price of lotus deserves its own thread...

Heh, pretty sure there already have been a couple of those threads.

But regardless of price there simply won't be enough to for many players to do what you're describing especially for every dungeon. Maybe for raids it may be more of an issue.

Sholynyk
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I think a dungeon with persistant health would be a very interesting experience. I think it would also be interesting if that was an option for your keep defence. It would reduce the amount of people challenging your keep for sure. But it would also make it a safer investment. You could raise your prize or lower your entrance fee to help compensate for that.