PDA

View Full Version : What Format do you want that won't be there at Launch?

Pech
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Well some formats we won't see for a while due to age of the game, but for me I most excited about Commander,Emperor, and Cube Draft. For those that don't know what those are I'll copy and paste how to do them below. But what formats are you guys wanting to see come to Hex?

Cube Draft is a booster draft variant in which the pool of cards is a predetermined set of cards chosen for the purpose of drafting them. The pool of cards is known as a Cube and usually contains a minimum of 360 cards to accommodate an eight-player booster draft. The cards used in a Cube are usually unique so that no card appears more than once in a draft. Typically, the card pool is an amalgamation of powerful cards from throughout the history of Magic, although the card pool can be whatever theme is desired.

The Cube Draft format has been sanctioned by Magic Online in 2012, albeit for limited time runs.Cube Draft is scheduled to be first used as a sanctioned format at the 2012 Magic Players Championship.

Commander

The Commander,or EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander), format uses 100 card decks with no duplicates except basic lands, a starting life total of 40, and feature a "Commander" or "General". The Commander must be a legendary creature, and all cards in the deck can only have mana symbols on them from the General's colors (including any mana symbols found within the card text, but excluding reminder text). The five three-color Elder Dragons such as Nicol Bolas or Chromium were once the only generals allowed, though this has changed greatly.The General is not included in one's library; it can be played as if it was in one's hand and returns to the "command" or "general" zone whenever it would be put into a graveyard or exiled. If a player takes 21 combat damage from any one general, that player loses the game, regardless of life total. The format has its own official banned list. This is usually a multiplayer format, as well as one of the most popular variants of Magic: The Gathering.

The popularity of the format was acknowledged by Wizards of Coast in the creation of the Commander product, a product designed exclusively for playing the format. The product includes five different 100-card singleton decks as well as brand new cards exclusive to the product.

Emperor

In the Emperor format, two teams, each generally composed of three players, play to ensure their central player (the "Emperor") outlasts the other. A team wins the game when the opposing Emperor has been eliminated, it does not matter if that team has any other players left on the team. Teams can either be pre determined or randomly decided. After teams have been selected Emperors are decided in the same fashion. Range of influence is a standard rule enforced upon each emperor during a game. It is widely debated what a fair range of influence is and should be discussed before the match. (Example: An Emperor with a ROI of 1 can only cast spells and abilities as far as 1 player to his left or right. A ROI of 2 enables targeting of 2 players left or right. This effectively allows emperors to use harmful spells on non emperor enemy players) Another rule worth noting is all permanents gain a tap ability that reads "Target player gains control of this permanent." Summoning sickness affects use of this rule. If a player leaves the game for any reason all of their permanents leave the game as well regardless of who controls them.

yovalord
06-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Other than cube, i think you will be able to still have custom matches where you could do the other modes. Not "ranked" or Q'd but its somthings. Im rather new to TCGs (yet im at GK >.<) so i dont know many modes, but those sound fun :D

SomeoneRandom
06-27-2013, 12:26 AM
I want to do custom drafts. My friends always had boxes of boosters from years back they saved and we could always find a fun draft with them, or raid our local store for old packs on the cheap

Personal favorite is auction draft, make lots of different lot some single packs that were good, others like 4 fallen empires, some lots with singles and then include the players as lots. Pick two captains and auction everything off. Make decks for your whole team, winning team gets the cards. Made a lot of interesting decisions and put value on different players that might know certain sets better etc.

Zarien
06-27-2013, 01:27 AM
If i'm not mistaken, didn't corey essentially say that there will be cube drafting? I remember that being in one of the twitch streams. It may not be set up in their tournament sections, but I know for sure he said you'll be able to set it up for guildies with the possibility of adding it to the leagues where people can make their own leagues.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 02:16 AM
None really; with so many things to do, like standard pvp, drafts and pve, i don't think there will be much time for me to play fun formats given the fact i'm on a heavy work schedule. But if i had to choose one, that would definately be commander

keldrin
06-27-2013, 03:03 AM
I want Emperor. That just sounds like fun.

AstaSyneri
06-27-2013, 04:30 AM
5-player raids ;-)

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 04:51 AM
5-player raids ;-)

That would have been awesome, but downtime says hello :)

jai151
06-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Mini-master/Pack wars
X-Headed Giant
X v X team multiplayer

Those are really the big ones I would want.

Milamber
06-27-2013, 06:08 AM
EDH, now I understand they need a larger card pool to give this depth to make decks with.
But I'd be happy after the release dust has settled down and a couple of sets are in rotation. To throw $20 at CZE for an EDH "deckbuilder kit" they could do one for each faction. Perhaps they consider making these "EDH valid only" with perhaps some PVE staples as well as custom cards designed to grease the mechanics if good EDH. That might be required as the glue to make the synergy work with the card pool that is established at that time. Perhaps these deckbuilder kits include a handful of EDH "commanders" with 3 color thresholds?!

But as shadowelf has said, plenty of other content to keep me busy for a while before I'd have a hole to fill with EDH hex.
But as a casual format it is such a fun and socially enjoyable format to play and brew!

Xenavire
06-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Free for all multiplayer with 4 or more players - a fun format, it doesn't matter if it is slow, since people play for fun. I want to relive my favourite afternoons in the hobby shops.

Rapkannibale
06-27-2013, 07:02 AM
All of the ones OP mentioned with my favorite being Commander.

Kami
06-27-2013, 07:09 AM
There used to be a very random mode (no idea what it's called or if it even had a name):

1. Every player has 500 cards minimum.
2. It is highlander and rainbow (must have cards of every colour).
3. It's FFA.

That was entertaining. :)

jai151
06-27-2013, 07:53 AM
There used to be a very random mode (no idea what it's called or if it even had a name):

1. Every player has 500 cards minimum.
2. It is highlander and rainbow (must have cards of every colour).
3. It's FFA.

That was entertaining. :)

I think that was prismatic, but not sure

OutlandishMatt
06-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Mini-master/Pack wars

You should see this as a dungeon later on. I believe Cory showed enough interest in this idea to run with it.

X-Headed Giant

I definitely want to see this format make an appearance. I want two headed sealed events.

X v X team multiplayer

I loved the 3v3 team format Magic had for a Pro Tour one year. You had to play 3 decks sharing the same constructed card pool so only 4 of any one card could be used throughout the 3 decks. It was very fun and interesting.

jai151
06-27-2013, 08:19 AM
You should see this as a dungeon later on. I believe Cory showed enough interest in this idea to run with it.

While I'd definitely be interested to see it as a dungeon, I more want it as a fun way to open some of the absurd number of packs heading to me =)

I loved the 3v3 team format Magic had for a Pro Tour one year. You had to play 3 decks sharing the same constructed card pool so only 4 of any one card could be used throughout the 3 decks. It was very fun and interesting.

That sounds friggin amazing!

EntropyBall
06-27-2013, 08:38 AM
For me,
2 Headed Giant
4+ player PVE content
EDH (Commander)
Emperor - as a distant 4th because I think the games will take an eternity.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm new to TCG's but someone linked me to a Wikipedia page of magic formats in another thread and I was astounded at the amount. A lot of very interesting looking possibilities but commander has grabbed my imagination the most.

Xintia
06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I loved big multiplayer FFA games. I understand the technical limitations in a purely online format, but some of my best memories of my Magic playing days were hanging out in the card shop (or the local IHOP) and playing huge 10+ player games. The funniest part was that one night at the IHOP, the manager actually comp'd most of what we ordered because he said we had "Entertained the other customers." I actually thought he was joking, but sure enough when we got the bills, I think we only ended up paying for all the soda and coffee we ordered. Good times. :p

OutlandishMatt
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
There are other formats Magic has.

Singleton, where you can't play more than one of any card.

Tribal, where all the creatures had to be of the same type.

Peasant, where you were only allowed to use commons.

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
There are a lot of great formats and I am very interested to see what new formats hex can come up with :). I hope CZE understands just how much we expect out of them :). I mean we want all formats new dungeons and raids and new sets all on a 4 month rotation that totally sounds doable /sarcasm.

still I would love
2 headed giant
x FFA
EDH
pack wars
phantom drafts

Thrawn
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I want Emperor. That just sounds like fun.

If it ends up like MTGO Emperor it's really not. The format makes many cards just straight up better than others and that ends up making a certain deck for everyone to run the best option very game. So you end up with nearly the same decks every single game on ever person and if you aren't running that deck your team is upset with you for losing them the game.

ramseytheory
06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Besides cube, I'm really looking forward to formats like pauper (commons only), peasant (commons plus up to five uncommons only) and warlord (uncommons only plus up to five rares, no commons). They act as a gateway from PVE into PVP thanks to the low playset costs, and it sounds like they'll be possible under the league system CZE are adding post-launch.

Xintia
06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
"Pack wars" is another really fun little format. At my old shop it was one pack, three of each basic land and you could swap two for extras of a different one. Or maybe it was two of each and you could add two more of a certain color. Eh... it was a long time ago. :D

OutlandishMatt
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
The pack wars we played was you had 10 of every mana. But then X spells in sets were ridiculous so we had to cap it at 10.

I think Mini Masters is more like what you're saying with 3 of each land.

Ju66ernaut
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd love to see a betting option available. It'd be fun to challenge a friend to a game where we both put up ten boosters. Or I bet my two AA Savage Ninjas and be puts 50 plat on the line, then we duke it out in a match or best of three to see who takes the pot.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Does legacy count ? My all time favorite mtg format and the only one i keep playing despite quitting standard (t2) a couple of years ago. But i bet that it will take 4-5 years till such a format will have a meaning and the crowd it deserves

Rtsands45
06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Planechase + vanguard + EDH = most fun format ever.

Dralon
06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
My favorites would be:

1."Planechase" concept - I love the idea of something affecting the battle that can change each turn, but that you also can construct your deck around to a degree

2. 2 headed giant - obviously playing with a friend cooperatively is awesome

3. Commander - I like the idea of only 1 of each card

4. Cube draft - have never played it, but sounds fun

Miwa
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Mulitplayer FFA with attack left, and range 2 rules. Ah the good ol' days of alpha and beta...

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought I'd link the thread that someone linked for me so less familiar people can see the wealth of options available.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_formats

ramseytheory
06-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I'd love to see a betting option available. It'd be fun to challenge a friend to a game where we both put up ten boosters. Or I bet my two AA Savage Ninjas and be puts 50 plat on the line, then we duke it out in a match or best of three to see who takes the pot.

I wouldn't mind seeing this at all, but given that frothingly insane anti-gambling laws are causing serious problems (by preventing an official cash-out option for platinum) even when gambling isn't actually possible in the game, I doubt it's going to happen. Hooray for politicians.

WalkingEye
06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
The Hex Board Game. Kinda Like Dungeon dice monsters from YuGiOh

Hex: Unique. The RPG minigame where your choices effect the powers of your own custom card.

Hex: New World. You run a outpost you must build your deck to defend your keep from random monster attacks. And Hire Mercenaries to explore the area to find resources, and explore dungeons for PVE cards designed to protect your outpost.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this at all, but given that frothingly insane anti-gambling laws are causing serious problems (by preventing an official cash-out option for platinum) even when gambling isn't actually possible in the game, I doubt it's going to happen. Hooray for politicians.

I'm not sure of the laws but without an official cash-out option it might actually be possible as what you're "gambling" with can't be redeemed for real money. Otherwise I would think even giving out booster packs as draft prizes would bring up the same issue. I think the law is fairly murky in this area though and they may not want to risk it even if technically it should be allowable.

jestersmind
06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Planechase + vanguard + EDH = most fun format ever.

this.

I stopped playing any Magic other than commander years ago.

If anyone played magic in the late 90s and subscribed to a magazine called Inquest, there was a casual format they called "Cmpaign Magic." It was similar to Planechase but you played out entire games on each plane (so no planar die, and no shifting, but an effect over the whole game) with a large group. First player to win three adjacent territories (or planes) on a large game map wins the campaign. We played this system for months back in high school. If you ever find a copy of it and like long lasting Magic games, look it up.

I would love to see them implment something like this system.