PDA

View Full Version : CBB - Keep your guild solicitation to guild forums...

nicosharp
06-26-2013, 10:58 PM
edit: maybe not sincere from Pech...

Because I am doing 'actual' community outreach(and don't call myself a "community outreach guild member"), the limited 100 private message slots are important to me. This Private message soliciting is not necessary or appropriate.

If you guys have guild incentives tied to recruitment, you might want to revise the expectations.

Mr.Funsocks
06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Mmm, I dunno, I got a form letter PM from him too, aaaand I kinda call that spam.

Zarien
06-26-2013, 11:41 PM
I got one as well, wasn't sure if spam or not.

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Can't figure out from what are u saying what the problem really was, but wasn't a pm or an email a better solution than posting at the forums ?

Voices
06-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Can't figure out from what are u saying what the problem really was, but wasn't a pm or an email a better solution than posting at the forums ?

Problem was that your guild is spamming guild invites in PMs. Makes your guild seem a bit desperate. And yes, posting here is probably not a bad idea. Now we all know that there is nothing special with any of us who received the invite.

Jarric
06-27-2013, 02:11 AM

No because it's like getting an advertisement in your text or junk mail. I personally didn't care but if you want to break it down there is a guild recruitment forum section for a reason. Now if you went to those posts that say LF Guild and sent them a private message that is different, they are asking for recruiters to "call" them.

So if it's not asked for, it's spam/junk mail. Basically just impolite to do.

Oaka23
06-27-2013, 02:35 AM
I could definitely do without the unsolicited PMs.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 02:49 AM
And here I thought I was special...

keldrin
06-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Don't worry. I'm sure you're special ;)
(no offense, the comment was there, and I'm weak and had to make a post)

DjiN
06-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Got the same spam. Was surprised that they didn't even look at my signature. It's clear I am associated with Haven. I find this a very inappropriate way to acquire new members.

Chiany
06-27-2013, 03:11 AM

I didn't get the PM, makes me sad now :(

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Don't worry. I'm sure you're special ;)
(no offense, the comment was there, and I'm weak and had to make a post)

Heh, it would take a lot more than that to offend me.

BTW, I want to thank Nico for pointing this out-I was going to write a fairly long response asking about the guild and stating some of the things I was hoping to get out of the game and put into the game. I figured it was only fair since I was sent such a considerate offer. Now I know that any response is unnecessary and unwarranted.

I would suggest that they substantially alter their recruitment methods. Sending spam that's basically a lie (has anyone posted the message they got? Were they all the same? If they were personalized and honest it would be quite different, to me at least) to entice people to join based on the false premise that you're actually valued as a person and not just a random body leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and makes me think much less of clan BB, when previously I had positive feelings toward them-many of their members seem like good posters and I like their sig pictures (a small thing, but very noticeable on a forum). A seemingly small thing like this can have long lasting repercussions.

Justin

ossuary
06-27-2013, 05:14 AM
Didn't notice this thread before I posted my own... oops. :)

That being said, I highly doubt anyone will appreciate spam messages. If this was one person being stupid, the guild should reprimand them. If it's guild policy, they should all go to hell. ;)

blakegrandon
06-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Anyone messaging spam Invites instantly goes to my do not join list. Any guild I join that spams invites instantly becomes not my guild.

It's pretty simple really, I don't want to be a warm body out of thousands of other warm bodies in a guild. These mega guilds ironically do anything but build up communities and I end up having a better time "PUGing" than I do in a mega guild.

Hatts
06-27-2013, 05:36 AM
LOL, how many of us did they spam? I think CBB want to be the Shinhare of Hex guilds. I'll pass.

Icepick
06-27-2013, 05:37 AM
Yeah I got one. I thought it was because I am unique and special, but now all my illusions have been shattered and my day is ruined :(
Seriously though, very uncool.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 05:42 AM
I didn't get the PM, makes me sad now :(

You are not popular! Though it may have to do with the guild tag in your signature...

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Yeah I got one. I thought it was because I am unique and special, but now all my illusions have been shattered and my day is ruined :(

Yea. Like someone telling you they like you, then going on to date other people in the process. So uncool.

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Got the same spam. Was surprised that they didn't even look at my signature. It's clear I am associated with Haven. I find this a very inappropriate way to acquire new members.
Djin, I don't see a signature on your post. I see all of the other sigs, so I don't think it's just on my end.

Admittedly, I was flattered when it came in. Now I just feel stupid for the nice "thanks, but I'm taken" response I gave. I guess it's time to show the world how artistically challenged I am by making myself a signature...

DjiN
06-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Lol got another message now. This guy from CBB trying to justify his attempt to poach me because he found an older post without my signature. I am seriously lmao ^^ I have my sig for weeks now... totally implausible that you decided to send me a message based on a post that is weeks old. I didn't even post in your guilds thread.
What you are doing is called "cold calling" if I'm right and is actually forbidden by law in my country. So please stop sending me PM's. Thanks.

Stok3d
06-27-2013, 06:15 AM
This has been addressed.

I'll speak for CBB and apologize for any inconvenience.

Kami
06-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Heh, I just finished commenting on this in their guild thread before I noticed a topic sprung up here already.

I got spammed as well. And as several people above stated, we will unlikely be joining and as people see this thread, chances are, many more won't either.

Edit: To the argument that one person in the guild doesn't represent the entire guild. I'd make the counter-argument that the person is still a representative of your guild and your guild were the ones that accepted him.

ossuary
06-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Lol got another message now. This guy from CBB trying to justify his attempt to poach me because he found an older post without my signature. I am seriously lmao ^^ I have my sig for weeks now... totally implausible that you decided to send me a message based on a post that is weeks old. I didn't even post in your guilds thread.
What you are doing is called "cold calling" if I'm right and is actually forbidden by law in my country. So please stop sending me PM's. Thanks.

It's even more laughable of a lie, because when you make a signature, it's displayed on all your posts. Even if you made a post earlier with no signature, if you go back to it, your signature is there. It's not hard-coded into your post, it's just a piece of a web frame that's displayed on any post you've made. That's standard.

If I were to change my signature right now, all posts I've ever made would then have the new signature on them.

MrSeriousBsns
06-27-2013, 06:21 AM
There is no such thing as bad press.

Just sayin'

Stok3d
06-27-2013, 06:22 AM
It's even more laughable of a lie, because when you make a signature, it's displayed on all your posts.

You are incorrect in your statement. Adding a sig is not retroactive to prior posts. Check for yourself.

Kami
06-27-2013, 06:24 AM
You are incorrect in your statement. Adding a sig is not retroactive to prior posts. Check for yourself.

You're incorrect. I've changed my signature from the very first post I've made. Checking back, it is the same as my current signature.

It is retroactive like many other forums.

ossuary
06-27-2013, 06:28 AM
If I WERE incorrect (I'm not), it would only then be because the forum designers were idiots. ;)

It's a completely standard feature of pretty much any forum software I've seen since... oh, 1991? The signature is not hard coded, it's just a call to whatever the .sig file of the user is, so if it changes, the sig is displayed correctly everywhere.

Please note: I am not calling the forum designers idiots, I am saying IF the signatures were static each time you posted, they would have to be idiots. :)

Stok3d
06-27-2013, 06:28 AM
ossuary/Kami: it's not.

Check http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23334&p=210929&viewfull=1#post210929
and look at my sig there as an example.

The mistake was genuine in my eyes. I've actually been confused myself about who was in a guild and who wasn't while looking at old posts--It's how I know. If someone in the guild was knowingly msging those already in a guild, then that would be a whole different level of an issue to contend with.

Again, I apologize about an unsolicited email being sent out to some handpicked ppl of the community. To those that got one, do feel privileged though. I won't turn this into an ad, but you obviously have something to contribute or you wouldn't have been singled out.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 06:29 AM
To make anyone from CBB feel better. I had no intention of joining them prior to the spam. As 1) I don't like big guilds and 2) Game isn't even out yet... I will worry more about the social aspect when alpha gets closer. So it didn't harm me any.

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Am I the only one not seeing some of these signatures? It seems like I can see some, but then I can't see others??? I can't see Djin's, and I didn't see one on Stok3d's posts (current and the linked older thread).

DjiN
06-27-2013, 06:38 AM
ossuary/Kami: it's not.

Check http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23334&page=9&p=211544&viewfull=1#post211544

The mistake was genuine in my eyes. I've actually been confused myself about who was in a guild and who wasn't while looking at old posts--It's how I know. If someone in the guild was knowingly msging those already in a guild, then that would be a whole different level of an issue to contend with.

I just saw you switching your sig back and forth Stok3d!! Gotcha!! hehe :p

Well in older posts without sig, the sig showing is probably disabled. That is why there is no update. You can actually turn your sig on and off on a per post basis. I still don't get why you would send me a message based on a weeks old post?... Whatever. I am not really offended by this, but I wanted to make a clear point that I dislike this kind of advertisement. There is a guild recruitment thread for this (and your guild actually has the largest thread there ironically).

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm feeling sorry for this mess, mostly because i came to respect some of the ppl in this thread; but i think that some of u are overeacting. One of us made a mistake; this doesn't mean that CBB's official policy is to spam ppl's mailboxes,or that we are desperate for ppl (already got 140 or so members). Also every one is special in his own right; u don't need a CBB invitation to confirm this for u, or to make u special. Members are making guilds special and not vice versa

DjiN
06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Am I the only one not seeing some of these signatures? It seems like I can see some, but then I can't see others??? I can't see Djin's, and I didn't see one on Stok3d's posts (current and the linked older thread).

You either have signatures disabled or you are blocking some of the image hosting services for some reason.

Stok3d
06-27-2013, 06:40 AM
I just saw you switching your sig back and forth Stok3d!! Gotcha!! hehe :p

You're exactly right. I wanted to prove my point with a subsequent post, but I couldn't. The sig changed there. For some reason it's only older posts. Not sure of the cutoff date yet. But I knew a thread I made before I locked in KS, so I linked it as an example.

The linked one, I didn't have a sig yet so as to prove my point I provided the link. However, I do have one now and it's hosted on photobucket. Maybe it's my sig rotator giving you issues?

DjiN
06-27-2013, 06:42 AM
You're exactly right. I wanted to prove my point with a subsequent post, but I couldn't. The sig changed there. For some reason it's only older posts. Not sure of the cutoff date yet. But I knew a thread I made before I locked in KS, so I linked it as an example.

Well as I said: in older posts your signature is probably disabled. You only get the option to show/not show your signature if you actually have one.

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 06:50 AM
You either have signatures disabled or you are blocking some of the image hosting services for some reason.

The filter at work is all kinds of crazy. That might be it, I guess. Some ads (but not all ads) get blocked sometimes too, and it jacks up the formatting on websites.

Kami
06-27-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm feeling sorry for this mess, mostly because i came to respect some of the ppl in this thread; but i think that some of u are overeacting. One of us made a mistake; this doesn't mean that CBB's official policy is to spam ppl's mailboxes,or that we are desperate for ppl (already got 140 or so members). Also every one is special in his own right; u don't need a CBB invitation to confirm this for u, or to make u special. Members are making guilds special and not vice versa

Please don't make this sound like it was an innocent mistake and that it's our fault for "overeacting". Especially when it was no fault of our own that one of your members sent us adverts in the first place. Own up to it. What you're giving is a back-handed apology. At least Stok3d understood.

Regardless of whether it was official policy or not, the fact remains that it was one of your members that did this. Your guild is the one that accepted this member.

We did not say you guys are desperate for members either, we stated it made your guild seem like it was desperate.

Additionally: "Members are making guilds special and not vice versa" - Members can also make guilds terrible depending on the types of members you allow in. This is why certain guilds are very selective of the type of people they let in because they are fully aware that it will reflect on their guild.

I realize this is a trivial issue; however, your response in this manner is not appreciated.

ZeroCool
06-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Uh Oh! CBB is in trouble!

For shame dudes, you're better than that!

Patrigan
06-27-2013, 07:01 AM
I never understood this wild recruiting. How are you creating bonds with your members? How can a Guildmaster keep a guild under control if it has 100+ members? Keep your guilds smaller and the experience will be better. I'm sure CZE will also introduce friendlists, so you don't have to play only with people in your guild...

Chiany
06-27-2013, 07:03 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-m2eVdbFkMUw/TosT-iuDlMI/AAAAAAAAC9E/AR0apE6Hsgs/s1600/drama-llama.jpg

So they made a Boo Boo, lets get over it ok...

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 07:05 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-m2eVdbFkMUw/TosT-iuDlMI/AAAAAAAAC9E/AR0apE6Hsgs/s1600/drama-llama.jpg

So they made a Boo Boo, lets get over it ok...

You are not thinking logically. You are still hurt you didn't get a message!

Chiany
06-27-2013, 07:09 AM
You are not thinking logically. You are still hurt you didn't get a message!

But but, if I remove my Signature now, can I get one still?

Hemotherapy
06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
lol @ people getting their feathers ruffled over guilds

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 07:27 AM
To be honest, before that I would already not have joined this guild because of how arrogant and frustrating some of their members are behaving here on these forums. If you truely care about your guild, ALL public contacts your members make are important. Clan Blackblade has really not shown that they are capable of keeping that under control.

I hate to see this kind of stuff. I understand and agree with your general message, but there's no need to rip other people/guilds while delivering that message.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The dude sending the messages had good intentions: He wants his guild to be significant - he wants it to be a strong, dominant guild. I can get behind that! Did he choose the best method for recruiting? No. But he could do far worse. A single PM isn't going to ruin your day/week/life. And while I don't agree with how Shadowelf defended the guy, I can fully appreciate why he did. I have been a guild leader before, and I'd be willing to go to bat for any one of my guys any day of the week. It's like having a brother that does something stupid and - in response - people come after him. First you beat their asses because you defend your own, then behind closed doors you beat your brother's ass for getting you in that mess to begin with. The message would be loud and clear: We police ourselves, but if you come at us we'll show you that we're in this together.

DjiN
06-27-2013, 07:31 AM
I also think everything is getting out of hand here a bit. People made their statement that they don't like this kind of advertisement, CBB agreed. Case closed.

ZeroCool
06-27-2013, 07:31 AM
I hate to see this kind of stuff. I understand and agree with your general message, but there's no need to rip other people/guilds while delivering that message.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The dude sending the messages had good intentions: He wants his guild to be significant - he wants it to be a strong, dominant guild. I can get behind that! Did he choose the best method for recruiting? No. But he could do far worse. A single PM isn't going to ruin your day/week/life. And while I don't agree with how Shadowelf defended the guy, I can fully appreciate why he did. I have been a guild leader before, and I'd be willing to go to bat for any one of my guys any day of the week. It's like having a brother that does something stupid and - in response - people come after him. First you beat their asses because you defend your own, then behind closed doors you beat your brother's ass for getting you in that mess to begin with. The message would be loud and clear: We police ourselves, but if you come at us we'll show you that we're in this together.

You've obviously never encountered a telemarketer, eh?

Auriok
06-27-2013, 07:40 AM
If that guild is 15 years old do they still have orginal members? What games they played before? And most important why i am not cool enough for you :(

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 07:45 AM
If that guild is 15 years old do they still have orginal members? What games they played before? And most important why i am not cool enough for you :(

You didn't get a message either? Man CBB must not like you.

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 07:48 AM
You've obviously never encountered a telemarketer, eh?

Consider intent. That's all I'm asking.

ZeroCool
06-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Consider intent. That's all I'm asking.

The intent is the same, at least to me it is.

I mean, they have something they want others to partake in. Just like a person selling me insurance over the phone, they have something they want others to partake in.

It didn't happen to me, I didn't get the message. It just doesn't make the Guild look good. I think you invest a lot of trust into your Guild Mates, which is why there is an application process to begin with.

If someone from my guild did that and they weren't removed from the guild, I'd leave mine. No room here for that kind of negligence. At the end of the day, it just isn't a cool thing to do.

Auriok
06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
You didn't get a message either? Man CBB must not like you.

So there are more rejected people? /brohug

I am crying atm listening linkin park and yelling "i can changeeeeee"

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:13 AM
No drama. Just mocking a guild whose marketing tactics are the same as penis enlargement pills.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
From what I understand not everyone got the same message, so its not as spammy as I originally thought. If everyone had gotten the message I got, which I believed, it would have been much worse. As it is I don't think its a big deal. He probably shouldn't have sent unsolicited messages, but as they weren't sent to everyone and not everyone got the same message it just doesn't seem that bad to me.

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Naw, it was the same one I'm pretty sure. Long, unpersonalized thing that was assumedly copy/pasted off the guild website or recruitment thread?

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
A lot of our members have noticed your well thought points and hard work on the Hextcg.com forums and we wanted to see if you would consider joining up with Clan BlackBlade if you aren't already committed to a guild already.

This is what I got.

Gwaer
06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
I'd just like to apologize for this as well. Also, to say that this is not CBB policy, there is no incentives program for recruitment, and it will not happen again. Some people are just understandably excited and got a little too pro-active. He's a great guy with just a little too much enthusiasm. I can guarantee it was not spam, cause that would be too easy, and this person likes working a lot and making very simple things extraordinarily complex. I'll try to beat the eagerness out of him in the future! Thanks for you for bringing the issue to our attention so it could be dealt with swiftly.

If he did send the same message to everyone I'd be surprised, but it was still done in his twisted sense excitement for the game, and having a vibrant community, whatever the case heads will roll and there will be hazing and displeasure had by all.

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Honestly trying to poach from other guilds is extremely bad form.

Why anyone would want to associate with a guild that feels the need to try and steal members from another guild is beyond me.

Edit: Gwaer cleared up. Post will remain but thanks for getting it all settled.

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:32 AM
More importantly... where are those pills I ordered?

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Naw, it was the same one I'm pretty sure. Long, unpersonalized thing that was assumedly copy/pasted off the guild website or recruitment thread?

That's not what I got. Some people got the form letter type which sounds like it was obviously a form letter and some people got a more personalized message. I was initially upset because I thought the seemingly personal nature of my message was a ploy, something that would make me want nothing to do with the guild. Now that I better understand the situation it seems like a case of someone who got a little carried away at the worst but whose intentions were good. With all the information it personally doesn't bother me at all and the fact that not everyone got a message and not all of those got a personalized message shows they were reading the forums and carefully picking who they invited rather than just sending out a mass spam message.

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:36 AM
This is what I got.

Wait, does that mean we're 3-tiering it now? 'cause I feel way let down, all I got was the 2-pages of copypasta from a guild website. So some people got a personalized invite, some people got copypasta, and some people didn't even get an invite?

At least I'm cooler than the last group...

hex_colin
My general thoughts, not really specific to CBB or any solicitations I might have received... Not defending CBB either, just providing a small life lesson.

To be fair, it's only really spam if they keep sending you the same thing over and over again. A reasonable response to the first instance would be "honestly, thanks for the offer, I'm not interested, please don't PM me again". After that, if you keep getting solicitations, you have a right to be upset.

Also, you need to get used to this sort of thing in life. If you're part of the working world you'll constantly get solicitations for jobs by phone, email, LinkedIn, etc. It might be because you're good at your job, or it might be that your job title matches their opening, but they will come... Being annoyed and sending nasty responses is not the best policy long term. You might not be looking now, but you never know what the future will bring...

Gwaer
More importantly... where are those pills I ordered?
Shipping is 3 to 555 weeks.

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:37 AM
My general thoughts, not really specific to CBB or any solicitations I might have received... Not defending CBB either, just providing a small life lesson.

To be fair, it's only really spam if they keep sending you the same thing over and over again. A reasonable response to the first instance would be "honestly, thanks for the offer, I'm not interested, please don't PM me again". After that, if you keep getting solicitations, you have a right to be upset.

Also, you need to get used to this sort of thing in life. If you're part of the working world you'll constantly get solicitations for jobs by phone, email, LinkedIn, etc. It might be because you're good at your job, or it might be that your job title matches their opening, but they will come... Being annoyed and sending nasty responses is not the best policy long term. You might not be looking now, but you never know what the future will bring...

Yeah, but deciding "Now there's a guild I'm not gonna join..." is usually a good policy ;)

jai151
And I will be left to forever wonder if I was skipped because I've not been very active the past couple days, the person saw Utopian Chaos in my sig, or if they just didn't like me.

Corpselocker
All my interactions with CBB have been very positive. It looks like they have addressed the issue and it was an outlier. I'd let them off of the hook :)

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 08:38 AM
And I will be left to forever wonder if I was skipped because I've not been very active the past couple days, the person saw Utopian Chaos in my sig, or if they just didn't like me.

See, look, you guys made him feel sad!

Hatts
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
I think you are fooling yourself if you think your message was personalized. In Pech's own words:

I just copied and pasted our recruitment thread message to be perfectly honest like a flier hand out, but it wasn't received as such.

In his defence his job in the guild is community liaison, I find anyone with 'liaison' in their title already has vastly different opinions on unsolicited contact than I... That said, I am an introvert and I never read my junk mail.

Gwaer
06-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Honestly jai, I like you. I'd guess the he just started at the oldest posts and was working forward, I don't remember you from the earliest days, so I'd guess he just hadn't gotten to you yet. And I would think that's why people who are currently in guilds with guild digs were invited, posts from when you had no signature do not update when you do get one. It was not the best way to go I admit. It was a silly thing to do. And he won't do it again. His PM privaledges are revoked, except to respond. So don't message him and you won't get glomped. ;)

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 08:44 AM
This is what I got.

I got the same, so I guess it wasn't completely personalized. Still much better than a form letter (or worse, the above) sent to everyone. This method of guild marketing doesn't even bother me as an attempt was made to tailor the message to the person even if the execution wasn't perfect. Most people seem not to like theuunsolicited messages at though, so probably not a good idea for anyone to use that technique in the future.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 08:48 AM
I think you are fooling yourself if you think your message was personalized. In Pech's own words:

In his defence his job in the guild is community liaison, I find anyone with 'liaison' in their title already has vastly different opinions on unsolicited contact than I... That said, I am an introvert and I never read my junk mail.

Not everyone got the message you reference.

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Hey hex_colin,
I totally agree with you, but when a company doesn't know they hired a telemarketer they need to be made aware. Taking a passive approach to individual spam, doesn't make the tactic or the individual using it public knowledge.

I don't mind being a vocal and sometimes abrasive person if I am defending something I believe in, and/or want to expose something for what it is. I don't think it has anything to do with the guild, cause most everyone on the forums seems cool, it just sounds like an issue based on an individuals eagerness to expand that guild, but it was very shortsighted and tactless.

Reported to the BBB. (just kidding)
I tried to redact this post after sending it and after a response from Pech, but am kind of happy a few people posted they experienced the same thing so this random PM spam was not just an isolated incident.

jai151
06-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Honestly jai, I like you. I'd guess the he just started at the oldest posts and was working forward, I don't remember you from the earliest days, so I'd guess he just hadn't gotten to you yet. And I would think that's why people who are currently in guilds with guild digs were invited, posts from when you had no signature do not update when you do get one. It was not the best way to go I admit. It was a silly thing to do. And he won't do it again. His PM privaledges are revoked, except to respond. So don't message him and you won't get glomped. ;)

Heh, it's all good. I think I started here around day 4 or 5 of the kickstarter, but didn't get really super active till I went all in on the game.

But yeah, I really wasn't concerned. And thanks for the "like," it is reciprocated =) I actually don't think there's anyone left on the forums I have a real beef with, most of the trolls have packed up or just aren't interesting enough to dislike

hex_colin
06-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Also... INB4 CBB dominates the first Hex World Championships and everyone necros their PM to get a ginvite... ;)

It made me laugh... :) The idea of people clamoring for ginvites, not that CBB might dominate the WCs... I'll give up the attempts at humor now ;)

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Also... INB4 CBB dominates the first Hex World Championships and everyone necros their PM to get a ginvite... ;)

It made me laugh... :)
haha, A likely scenario.

Hatts
06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Not everyone got the message you reference.

Well damn, now I am offended. Where's my personalized invite?

/troll

tautologico
06-27-2013, 08:58 AM
You didn't invite me, CBB, but you'll see, and then you'll regret not inviting me. YOU'LL SEE!!

NaharPT
06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Ah... how does everyone love a good punching bag.

And the same jokes seem to never grow old... :)

Gwaer
06-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Ah... how does everyone love a good punching bag.

And the same jokes seem to never grow old... :)
We messed up here and are due some punishment for it. They're right when one member is deserving of glory we all are. When one is deserving of ridicule, that holds true.

Justinkp
06-27-2013, 09:16 AM
We messed up here and are due some punishment for it. They're right when one member is deserving of glory we all are. When one is deserving of ridicule, that holds true.

I wouldn't be too hard on Perch, he's only guilty of too much enthusiasm and perhaps not thinking it through enough and checking with others first (seems like everything like this should be signed off on by senior members, I'd take this as an opportunity to create a simple process for that-if this was done just a bit differently it could have been effective-as it was, knowing all the details I'm not all bothered by it so don't assume everyone was). I'd hate for you to come down on him hard enough he's afraid to try new ideas.

hex_colin
06-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Also, good-natured and harmless jokes are a much better way for this thread to play out, when compared to the alternatives... :)

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't be too hard on Perch, he's only guilty of too much enthusiasm and I'd hate for you to come down on him hard enough he's afraid to try new ideas.

I can relate to too much enthusiasm and trying new Ideas. I started our guilds first 8 person draft simulation and it takes a lot of work. It sounds like he is a great member to have just executes ideas poorly. Give him some encouragement with the scolding :).

Gwaer
06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Also, good-natured and harmless jokes are a much better way for this thread to play out, when compared to the alternatives... :)
Indeed they are. =)

I have a peculiar sense of humor and I found the ambiguity of your joke in its original form pretty hilarious.

hex_colin
06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Indeed they are. =)

I have a peculiar sense of humor and I found the ambiguity of your joke in its original form pretty hilarious.

Agreed. But that wasn't the intent, and I really didn't want for people to assume the worst. Hard enough to not get misconstrued on the internets when you're presenting facts, really tough when it comes to jokes...

ramseytheory
06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah, don't be too hard on Pech if he genuinely meant well. (I got a message too.) If he'd used personalised messages rather than a copy-paste of the guild thread OP and only sent out a few per day then it would have been a good idea.

I'm giving Clan Blackblade the benefit of the doubt here since generally when I see one of their sigs, it's attached to a good-quality post. So reputation does matter. :)

Shadowelf
06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
We won't be too hard on Pech, just the routine lashing :)

Thank u for ur understanding and i feel sorry for any incovenience.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
I think everyone Pech reached out to should drop where they are now and join the same guild. We were all scouted obviously for the various reasons that must mean we are awesome. We could become like the Miami Heat!

hex_colin
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I think everyone Pech reached out to should drop where they are now and join the same guild. We were all scouted obviously for the various reasons that must mean we are awesome. We could become like the Miami Heat!

Not 1 Hex World Championship, not 2 Hex World Championships, not 3 Hex World Championships, not 4 Hex World Championships, ... ;)

RobHaven
06-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Not 1 Hex World Championship, not 2 Hex World Championships, not 3 Hex World Championships, not 4 Hex World Championships, ... ;)

hahahahaha

If they have the numbers, there's a good chance the champ comes out of there anyway. Statistically speaking, I mean.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 11:52 AM

We can call ourselves.

The Internet Heat: Shards of Lebron and Co.

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 11:55 AM
hahahahaha

If they have the numbers, there's a good chance the champ comes out of there anyway. Statistically speaking, I mean.

We are all screwed when CZE lets us know Guilds are limited to 50 people, and friend lists are limited to 200.
When CBB has to pick an A, B, C, D, E, F, and G team the selection process will be daunting.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
We are all screwed when CZE lets us know Guilds are limited to 50 people, and friend lists are limited to 200.
When CBB has to pick an A, B, C, D, E, F, and G team the selection process will be daunting.

I personally think 50 is a good number for a guild size for a game like this.

A friendslist with 200 O_O I have yet play a game that broke 32 people on my friends list.

Tinuvas
06-27-2013, 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure they have said they won't limit guild size (don't remember where at the moment though...), but that would create quite the scandal for the top number guilds wouldn't it?

I honestly think that guilds, support sites, etc. will rise naturally come beta/release time. While we have a number of such things now, I doubt they will all come through release day unscathed. Some will, some won't. It will be interesting to see which ones do.

On topic: While I had to decline the invitation based on my usage for the game not fitting CBB's current model, I appreciated the approach. But then again I don't have a knee jerk reaction of hating solicitors. Salesmen (telemarketers and otherwise) are a defining and necessary force in capitalistic society. To get mad at them seems indicative of personal weakness in financial matters. While I have that weakness, I don't blame the salesman for it. More to the point, a selected approach to members of our community in a discreet fashion, while MAYBE misguided, was not nearly as violent a breaking of cultural codes of conduct as the reaction to the approach IMHO. I could be wrong here though.

Looking at their website, code of conduct, posts from their members (who have become much less obvious unfortunately), etc. I find them to be an upstanding group of folk and hope to break my head on their decks sooner rather than later. And as mentioned, if one of them does take the first World Championship, there will be much egg on face. Personally though, I will try very hard to make that not happen :p

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 12:19 PM
I find them to be an upstanding group of folk and hope to break my head on their decks sooner rather than later.

I personally would like to see a limit on guild sizes. Just because sometimes when not kept in check, 1-2 prominent guilds raise up, killing the variety that could be established otherwise. But that is just me.

I would have quoted the whole thing, but I had to only quote that part with the bolding showing a comment I thought was a little confusing. How does one break a head on a deck?

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
More to the point, a selected approach to members of our community in a discreet fashion, while MAYBE misguided, was not nearly as violent a breaking of cultural codes of conduct as the reaction to the approach IMHO. I could be wrong here though.

I am pretty offended by this statement.
Given this is a 'culture' of forum posters for a game, the 'Code of conduct' is built into the forum structure. Neither approach is in any shape violent. Ignorant and tactless, maybe, but not violent on one end. Annoyed, open and inquisitive on the other end.

Tinuvas
06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
I personally would like to see a limit on guild sizes. Just because sometimes when not kept in check, 1-2 prominent guilds raise up, killing the variety that could be established otherwise. But that is just me.

I would have quoted the whole thing, but I had to only quote that part with the bolding showing a comment I thought was a little confusing. How does one break a head on a deck?

I have never seen big guilds stop small guilds from being viable, I'd have to trust your experience on that.

As for breaking heads, well, umm, the best I can say is as I get my backside handed to me it will break what I thought was a perfectly good idea for a deck so I can go and make a better one! That's my story anyway :)

panzer
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Spamtastic, immediately wrote off the entire guild.

brilliant anti-guild strategy.

Tinuvas
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
I am pretty offended by this statement.
Given this is a 'culture' of forum posters for a game, the 'Code of conduct' is built into the forum structure. Neither approach is in any shape violent. Ignorant and tactless, maybe, but not violent on one end. Annoyed, open and inquisitive on the other end.

Hmmm, I believe I mispoke. I went back to the beginning of the thread and reread it fully expecting the hate and vitriol that I had read the first time...and of course it wasn't there. Your description of tone was more accurate. *facepalm*. I can still think CBB is ok can't I? :)

ossuary
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Honestly I've never understood why some people like the idea of a giant guild with so many people in it you don't actually know much of anyone. How is that different than a chat channel? And people will judge you by the actions of the bad apples. I've always VASTLY preferred small, tight-knit groups of people I have actually played with and hung out with a fair bit, who I know I am compatible with (and who don't make me look bad when I'm not looking).

Please note: I'm not singling anyone out here. For the most part, I don't even know what guilds everyone is in, because I filter out all of those god damn ugly, giant signature pictures everyone insists on using. :)

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Honestly I've never understood why some people like the idea of a giant guild with so many people in it you don't actually know much of anyone. How is that different than a chat channel? And people will judge you by the actions of the bad apples. I've always VASTLY preferred small, tight-knit groups of people I have actually played with and hung out with a fair bit, who I know I am compatible with (and who don't make me look bad when I'm not looking).

Please note: I'm not singling anyone out here. For the most part, I don't even know what guilds everyone is in, because I filter out all of those god damn ugly, giant signature pictures everyone insists on using. :)

Just so you know. I am still a free agent. Looking for that multi-billion hex-bucks contract before I sign on anywhere. lol

Yoss
06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
FYI, here's the message I got:

A lot of our members have noticed your well thought points and hard work on the Hextcg.com forums and we wanted to see if you wanted to consider joining up with Clan BlackBlade if you aren't already committed to a guild already.
Seems Pech didn't even look at my sig first, either that or he's trying to poach from other guilds which is even worse.

Stok3d
06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
@Yoss, w/o reiterating verbatim I'm just going to link a response on this I had:

Check http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23334&p=210929&viewfull=1#post210929

Again, I apologize about an unsolicited email being sent out to some handpicked ppl of the community. To those that got one, do feel privileged though. I won't turn this into an ad, but you obviously have something to contribute or you wouldn't have been singled out.

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Poor Pech meant no harm just overly enthusiastic

jeff
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
"Hand picked"... Lol.

Is it still hand picked if you pick everyone?

Edit:

(snip) So sorry to all you noobs who weren't cool enough to get an invite or are too blinkered to accept or leave your current clan. (Snip)

I'm almost sorry not to be in the same clan as you...

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 01:25 PM
"Hand picked"... Lol.

Is it still hand picked if you pick everyone?

A hand still had to check the "message everybody" key!

KaosSoul
06-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I got a message I joined the clan and wow these guys are awesome. So sorry to all you noobs who weren't cool enough to get an invite or are too blinkered to accept or leave your current clan. Shame the only reason I joined was coz of peck and now he seems to have gone AWOL in a cloud of personal embarrassment for the pain he has caused to the beloved hex forum trolls.

gee thats a nice motivational post , to help your guild, why are you acting like this ;)

his name is Pech also ^^

jeff
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Haha ninja edit came too late. Guess you'll have to live with your new reputation as someone who talks before he thinks but isn't man enough to stand by his words.

Mr.Funsocks
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Depends on what you look for in a guild. In a hardcore, raid or PvP-oriented game/guild, where skill actually matters for something, small guilds are the way to go. But most people don't talk much in general chat, or mute it entirely, in most games, and a guild can just be a chat channel. A group of 100-odd people that you get to talk to regularly, wherever in the game they are, without having to check if they're online. An extended friendslist basically, where you don't really pay attention to most people. Especially in MMOs that have different chat channels for different zones or instances (if a single-server MMO), it can be nice to have a gaggle of people you kinda know to talk at regularly.

But yeah, guilds like that that take themselves seriously are hilarious. They try to have a "council of elders" or something and super serious ranks and whatnot.

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 01:34 PM
wow hammer your guild turns around the misunderstanding and everyone is all friendsies then you decide to hurt their reputation again.

I like (most of) the CBB guys but maybe if you could get your guild mates to act a little bit more friendly it would be greatly appreciated.

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 01:35 PM
To Pech's credit, I do give him props for having the balls to blanket spam guild leaders to join another guild. He is a recruiting champion. That is like walking into McDonald's and asking them to sell Burger King products. You have to have balls of brass to do the socially laughable.

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
To Pech's credit, I do give him props for having the balls to blanket spam guild leaders to join another guild. He is a recruiting champion. That is like walking into McDonald's and asking them to sell Burger King products. You have to have balls of brass to do the socially laughable.

lol I might have to try that some day.

Gwaer
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
To be fair Nico, your early posts do not have you as a guild leader.
Like this one for example: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23931&p=221823#post221823
As I said, he was working backwards, and is pretty new on the forums. I certainly hope he didn't see that particular post of yours when he decided to invite you.

You on the otherhand have PM'd me before unsolicited, and I thought we had quite a pleasant conversation. We're certainly colleagues in the realm of forumdwelling. If you had PM'd me or anyone else in CBB to alert us to this action it would have been handled just as swiftly. If your guild ever does anything to irritate me, you can be certain I will let you know first. That's just courtesy.

Diesbudt
06-27-2013, 01:43 PM

... Now I want to see this. Someone grab a video camera.

KaosSoul
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
i would love if you could remove this Banner Hammer http://puu.sh/3pMWM.jpg, id also like CBB to take care of there Trolling members for the Sake of all the community^^

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:46 PM
... Now I want to see this. Someone grab a video camera.

I think that should be the punishment of the clan. For redemption pech must video himself asking for a whopper with cheese in a mcDs

nicosharp
06-27-2013, 01:46 PM
To be fair Nico, your early posts do not have you as a guild leader.
Like this one for example: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23931&p=221823#post221823
As I said, he was working backwards, and is pretty new on the forums. I certainly hope he didn't see that particular post of yours when he decided to invite you.

You on the otherhand have PM'd me before unsolicited, and I thought we had quite a pleasant conversation. We're certainly colleagues in the realm of forumdwelling. If you had PM'd me or anyone else in CBB to alert us to this action it would have been handled just as swiftly. If your guild ever does anything to irritate me, you can be certain I will let you know first. That's just courtesy.

That's true, and was his response to my PM reply. (regarding no signature on earlier posts)
Some personal matters are better left discussed in private. This was obviously not a personal matter. It was a blanket advertisement using private messaging, but the catch was it was impersonal. The impersonal piece caused the public inquisitiveness.

(I secretly wanted to know if anyone else got these e-mails. Which adds to the public nature of airing it out)

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
http://puu.sh/3pMWM.jpg My first forum stalker :). If only it would have been someone with more humor less I am l33tz attitude. But everyone needs their groupies.

Edit: Cause I need proof of my groupies for when they are to many to remember.

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah yeah removed and yes I am trolling the troll thread. Really should be locked total nonsense of a #storminacup

KaosSoul
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
thanks for your understanding Mr Hammer^^ may your time on hex be good and delightfull

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
wasn't a troll thread till you showed up. everyone was joking with each other once the issue was resolved.

EDIT: Lost my groupie. why you got to cut so deep hammer :(

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
I'll be your groupie in all seriousness its a very nice banner easy on the eye. Would maybe change font of your username - that's not telling just constructive feedback omg unsolicited non the less !

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
thanks for your understanding Mr Hammer^^ may your time on hex be good and delightfull

You re welcome and honestly its Dr Hammer but I'll let ya off since we re such good mates

hammer
06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
wasn't a troll thread till you showed up. everyone was joking with each other once the issue was resolved.

EDIT: Lost my groupie. why you got to cut so deep hammer :(

Haha I cause too much trouble to be in a haven. Glad we agree all resolved. Now how did I troll like YASI and Joffery to get this thread locked down and a line drawn

KaosSoul
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
should of went Mc Hammer mode =p usualy everything Stops Better

OP_Kyle
06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
This went in an unfortunate direction... closing thread.