PDA

View Full Version : Idea/Suggestion: Let us partner up with mercenaries for raids

Tamak
06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
After the multiboxing discussion yesterday(and the day before that, and so on) I had an idea. We get mercenaries (i.e. Cardboard Tube Samurai) for helping them out, right? Why can't they 'help us out' during raids?

Instead of having people multibox raids, let us have the option of asking these mercenaries to help us. They could use their own decks, or maybe borrow one of ours, and the AI would play for them.

Personally, the reason why I don't typically play MMOs is because I don't particularly want to team up with people, but it becomes more necessary in order to progress through the game. I don't have a set schedule to play games, and I know a lot of people don't like having to wrangle together a group just to take down a boss.

This way, people can still play all the parts of the game without having to quasi-break the ToS. Also I think it would just be really fun.

Turtlewing
06-27-2013, 02:58 PM
That's an interesting idea.

It would take some incentive for multiboxing out, but it might also put some damper on pick up raid grouping as three decks built to synergies will likely be superior to three semi-random decks.

On the whole I think I like it.

arastor
06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Hmm. I can't really see them doing that for raids in general, but it seems like there's some awesome design space there for some "intro-to-raiding" dungeons or such.

Shivdaddy
06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Finally a decent idea I have not already read on these dang forums. Not a bad idea. I am so tired of the lame threads we have going right now. I wish I was a mod and could close threads I deemed dumb.

Am I the only one bugged by the Hello Kitty sub-theme? Stupid

Guild Size - Should it be Capped? Dumb

What Format do you want that won't be there at Launch? Stupid, lets bitch about something that has not even happened yet

Yoss
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Personally, the reason why I don't typically play MMOs is because I don't particularly want to team up with people, but it becomes more necessary in order to progress through the game. I don't have a set schedule to play games, and I know a lot of people don't like having to wrangle together a group just to take down a boss.

This way, people can still play all the parts of the game without having to quasi-break the ToS. Also I think it would just be really fun.
If you can do 100% of the content solo, it's not an MMO anymore. I backed an MMOTCG, not a TCGRPG. (In other words, I'm looking for a TCG adaptation of WoW, not a TCG version of Diablo.)

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing this as a theme for one of the dungeons, where you're playing solo, but with AI allies.

Tamak
06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
It just bugged me that the only way to beat raid bosses is to either join a guild or ask random people to help you. I love rpg's and I love tcg's, but I really hate having to rely on other people just to play the PvE side of the game. It's an MMO, I get that, and I love about 90% of everything they've shown us so far, but this really bugs me.

Anyway, just a random thought I had.

Tamak
06-27-2013, 03:52 PM
I just don't see how allowing the use of mercenaries as partners gets in the way of other people teaming up. It would just be an option. And from what we've seen of the mercenaries, they will be much weaker than the player's characters, so it's not even an unfair advantage.

cavench
06-27-2013, 03:59 PM
I just don't see how allowing the use of mercenaries as partners gets in the way of other people teaming up. It would just be an option. And from what we've seen of the mercenaries, they will be much weaker than the player's characters, so it's not even an unfair advantage.

The problem I see is... if the raids can be done with mercenaries, other people would complain it is too easy. And if raids cannot be done with mercenaries, then you might complain "then what's the point".

Yoss
06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
The problem I see is... if the raids can be done with mercenaries, other people would complain it is too easy. And if raids cannot be done with mercenaries, then you might complain "then what's the point".
Exactly. If the AI is good enough to get you through it, the raid is almost certainly not hard enough for three humans working together.

Tamak
06-27-2013, 04:10 PM
They said the raids could be completed with two people, but it's recommended to have three. If you play with two mercenaries plus yourself, wouldn't that be like two people doing a raid? Plus, as it stands, you can already solo raids(although, it would probably be very, very difficult).

As far as multiplayer stuff, you have Keep Defense, all the PvP options and the raids so it's not like there is a dearth of MMO stuff. Plus, you would still have to earn the mercenaries, and some mercenaries are undoubtedly be harder to get(and hopefully better) than others .

cavench
06-27-2013, 04:23 PM
They said the raids could be completed with two people, but it's recommended to have three. If you play with two mercenaries plus yourself, wouldn't that be like two people doing a raid? Plus, as it stands, you can already solo raids(although, it would probably be very, very difficult).

As far as multiplayer stuff, you have Keep Defense, all the PvP options and the raids so it's not like there is a dearth of MMO stuff. Plus, you would still have to earn the mercenaries, and some mercenaries are undoubtedly be harder to get(and hopefully better) than others .

I believe what CZE said is "You can try to solo, but highly unlikely to beat the Raid Boss." You have underestimated the raid difficulties. Have you read this article?

http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/

As of now, my gripe is opposite of yours. There is not enough player interaction (raid is the only one) for a MMO. Keep defense is an indirect form of player interaction since it is keep AI the player is playing against.

Sholynyk
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I think that mercenaries having their own decks and being allies is a great idea. To even it out though they would have to make it so that it was only the mercenaries pre determined deck that could be used and not just an extra one that a player put together specifically for the raid. So that a person would be a superior ally, however if you are playing and you are not sure you will be able to stick around for the whole thing you just team up with the ai so that you don't leave anybody hanging if you gotta run out the door.

hex_colin
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Finally a decent idea I have not already read on these dang forums. Not a bad idea. I am so tired of the lame threads we have going right now. I wish I was a mod and could close threads I deemed dumb.

Am I the only one bugged by the Hello Kitty sub-theme? Stupid

Guild Size - Should it be Capped? Dumb

What Format do you want that won't be there at Launch? Stupid, lets bitch about something that has not even happened yet

Is this your resume for becoming a forum mod? ;)

The are more constructive ways you could have made your points, even if I don't agree with most of them. Calling the contributors to those threads "stupid" and "dumb" just makes you look bad.

The Shin'hare thread is completely reasonable - a discussion of one of the races and whether or not it fits in the game. Not a great thread title, but it's stayed broadly on-topic and it's interesting to hear people's perspectives on the bunnies. Also, bunnies = a hook for tween girls, a notoriously hard demographic for a TCG to crack.

The guild capping thread is also useful too - and it sounds like a discussion from an MBA Org. Behavior class without all the "bullshit bingo" terms.

Speculation about something we don't have 100% of the information about. Not terribly productive, but on-topic for the forums and gives those contributors something to do while they wait for more concrete information.

Finally, you get to choose whether or not to read specific threads - I ignore half of what gets posted here. They don't magically open themselves in your browser and stop you going about your day. If you think they're "stupid", "dumb", or "lame", don't read them!

cavench
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Here is a good intro video in regard to preparing for a raid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMkM7LHcjA

This is what I expect for a proper designed raid, it cannot be too easy. Besides, raids isn't a requirement, and there are 40 dungeons and quests (single player content) at launch that I can imagine would satisfy OP's need. I prefer solo too in a MMO, but I also understand and accept that I won't be able to solo every content in the game.

Tamak
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I think having a mercenaries use pre-made decks is fair, maybe they could 'unlock' better cards as they level up.

All I know is people are going to multibox someway or another, and this seems like a fair way to prevent a lot of that.

cavench
06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm not against the idea of having mercenaries as allies in Raid, it is a good idea actually. But the player will just have to accept that the odd of beating the Raid Boss is low. If this feature is enabled, I will be using it to scout Raid boss' deck.

As for using pre-made decks against raid, that may not be feasible. For example, a raid rule can easily be "all troops enter battle -3/-3" or something ridiculous to raid boss's advantage; and suddenly all pre-made decks are near un-usable.

Vorsa
06-28-2013, 12:03 AM
That sounds a good idea, though I'm hoping to be a regular raider with guildies myself. :D

I do think that pre-made decks would be preferable to stop players constructing mega-themed deck sets, but I do also see Cavench's point about raids having special requirements...

Maybe the solution would simply be for champion pre-made decks to be pretty diverse, so there'd just be a core of balanced decks and then they get pretty wild e.g. creatureless, mill, flying-only, artifact only, etc.

Gen91
06-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Hmm the idea of a raid in an MMO is tto multiplayer,
I think if they implement your idea in dungeons it's fine,
but in raids they would make the MMO part unnecessary.

RobHaven
06-28-2013, 05:57 AM
It just bugged me that the only way to beat raid bosses is to either join a guild or ask random people to help you.

If your primary concern is being able to find people to play with, I can do my best to help you with that. When we get our usernames, PM me and I'll send you mine so we can Friend-List each other. Then any time you're feeling like a raid, let me know - I'll find a third for us and we can raid away.
"But what if you're never on when I'm on?" Not possible. If you want to know if I'm online, check the status of the servers - I keep the same schedule they do.

keldrin
06-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I'm with the idea of using the mercenary allies, to scout the raids. But, I doubt you would have enough success with AI mercenary allies to win.
And, I'll probably scout the raids solo, to get a feel for raid rules and decks. Might even have a deck made up, that isn't meant to win, but to keep me alive hopefully long enough to get a feel on a decent approach to the raid.
It's cool concept though. And like someone else said, would be a great way to introduce new players to raiding.

Thallium45
06-28-2013, 06:54 AM
not having people to play with is avoided by joiing a guild that has most if it players based in a time zone that fits your schedule, you dont even have to be active in some guild they just facilitate a place for you to be able to find players with common play times

Ju66ernaut
06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
I love this idea for tutorial purposes, but I really don't want to see AI Merc raid members. You may love baseball and be the king of the batting cages, but you're not going to win the World Series unless you can play well with others.

maniza
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Realy like this idea

Lafoote
06-28-2013, 09:31 AM
If you can do 100% of the content solo, it's not an MMO anymore.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing this as a theme for one of the dungeons, where you're playing solo, but with AI allies.

On board 100% with these statements. People for raids, but Merc ally dungeons sound crazy fun!