PDA

View Full Version : PVP Champions: Ardent

Shaqattaq
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Here's a preview of Set 1 PVP Champions for you Ardent fans!

http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-ardent/

theeliminator
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Orc warlock seems like he will only be good the first time you use his power.

KaosSoul
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/LadyElizabeth_Web-215x300.png
makes this?
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Adamanthian_Web-215x300.png

its me or this Troop either needs to go on the board or be alot stronger/ add some Keyword Love on it? seems very much like the most underpowered Champion ive seen so far?

ZacPhoenix
06-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Yup. Scratching my head over Elizabeth too. Is there some awesome card that does something ONLY to Adamanthian Elite cards? Are they laughing at us in the Crypto offices while we figure this one out? Or is it really as lame as it appears? I know there's Inspire but it still seems crappy for the 5 charge/5 resource investment...

incitfulmonk21
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
permanent flight for 3 charges. seems sapphire got a rather large boost today :).

Madican
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm not seeing anything comparable to the best of the Underworld champions.

Hemlock
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Permanent flight is phenomenal. That's gonna be a solid pick for any deck that uses even a smidgeon of Sapphire.

The Adamanthian Elite doesn't look like much, but I think its purpose is to use its high cost to soak up the benefits of an Inspire deck. We'll have to see how those sort of decks play out.

Herczeg also looks really nice, and Polonius could be fun in a build deck.

Erebus
06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
For Elizabeth, it depends on how the Inspire mechanic works specifically. Perhaps created tokens don't trigger inspire. So in this one case, it would.

The health gain for 5 charges seems the worse for me.

Permanent +1/+1, flight, +2/0 are all gonna be good, especially in draft. Also card draw for 4 is better then card draw for 6, even at the cost of 2 health.

Steadfast for a turn for your entire team will make it into some decks.

nekoangel
06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
you guys clearly dont understand the advantage of creating free cards lol

yeah its undercosted but its another card in hand and a troop at that and a good chance you will do this power twice a game....

that giant squirel token is awesome too.

Armies
06-28-2013, 10:35 AM
shield trainer won't see nearly as much play now with the steadfast power

odjn
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Herczeg, the confused orc, thinks he's a dwarf warrior with a possibly more efficient if riskier version of the dwarf ranger's ability. Trouble in Kog’Tepetl.

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Herczeg_Web.png

KaosSoul
06-28-2013, 10:47 AM
ah ah its a Hulk Dwarf XD

Vorpal
06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Interesting. They are very different from the underworld champions: it seems like most of them focus on creating new creatures for you. Most of them seem weaker to me.

The human one that creates a 5 cost creature probably only works at all in an inspire deck, as a creature with that cost will be inspired by just about everyone. However, it is quite true that using 5 charges and 5 resources to create a 3/3 creature with no abilities at all is...terrible.

I also find the coyotle cleric who gains 5 health on 6 charges to be interesting. Normally you wouldn't want to include heal spells in a deck as they don't do anything for you if you don't need them, but with the mild effect most charge abilities seem to have, having an alternate form of healing via charges seems it could be useful.

The sapphire coyotle who grants flight seems extremely good.

The orc warrior shows that, very appropriately, CZE continues to value drawing additional cards extremely highly.

Draqoin
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
YES! I am so happy right now. I've been hoping that one of the cards would be a Coyotle Cleric and it happened! And I even guessed correctly that the Coyotle Cleric would deal with life gain. I can't wait for Alpha now.

RuthlessSqueak
06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Elizabeth is weak but she will potential work in an inspire deck (as many have pointed out) also depending on the strength of card cycling spells (discard your hand draw that many, draw two discard one, draw two place one card on the top or bottom of your library etc.) she may be slightly better than many are giving her credit for. In those cases her ability would be an intermediary card draw ability (cheaper than 6 charges, more expensive than 4 and 2 life) with potential to be a win condition initself in fringe cases (namely when used in a deck with heavy control/card advantage elements and few win conditions).

__X__
06-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Orc warlock seems like he will only be good the first time you use his power.

How many times in one game do you expect to have 12 charges? Also, only 1 Elf champ to complement the lone Vennen champ. And I agree with everyone else, Coyotle Mage that gives permanent Flight for only 3 charges seems very powerful.

Malakili
06-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Herczeg is the best champion revealed so far. I'll take ~2 free Sign in Bloods a game ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

firemanclam
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
On the topic of Elizabeth, getting an extra card in hand is a surefire way to getting your enlightened seeker to transform. There will be other opportunities, just wait :)

cooperflood
06-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Enlightend Seeker was my initial thought too.

Love Herczeg and Feather Drifting Downwar

Moon_Knight
06-28-2013, 01:03 PM
One eye open is my fav champ in the first set hands down :)
that ability will be big in drafts and constructed.

CodexReaper
06-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Herczeg, the confused orc, thinks he's a dwarf warrior with a possibly more efficient if riskier version of the dwarf ranger's ability. Trouble in Kog’Tepetl.

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Herczeg_Web.png

I was starting to worry that I was the only one who noticed that. Poor Herczeg. Too many blows to the head, apparently.

Also, I will say that I absolutely love the Ardent champs...Feather in particular, with his Perm Flight ability. That said, I wonder if it's a bit imbalanced - the benefit of Perm Flight for just 2 Sapphire & 3 Charge seems disproportionate, at least to me, and I wonder if the cost is too low for the great payoff it gives. Granted, the ability is limited to Sapphire-inclusive decks, but it's an absolutely tremendous ability that can radically change games all on its own, and with a decent hand, you could start playing it from Turn 3 onward. Unless there are some great anti-flight cards yet to be revealed, this will (in its current state) be very difficult to counter, and I see most every Sapphire deck using this champ.

Madican
06-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Still don't like the idea of specific thresholds for PvP champions.

heavenscreed
06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
it's probably safe to assume there will be enough kill target spells to balance Feather's ability. we'll see when alpha comes out.

on a somewhat related note, does anyone know if they are going to treat cards as if they were printed? In other words, would it be possible that they make changes to what the card does, even after release? I know that sounds strange but it could bring up some very interesting scenarios when later sets are released.

nekoangel
06-28-2013, 01:55 PM

theres simple reason for this and its there abilities match there threshold type. if you could add the perma flight to a mono ruby rush deck imagine that massive hydra thing ( i think that a hydra ) with insta flight it even tougher to stop.

its all about keeping flavour =)

in regards to card changes its entirely possible although they dont want to do iti remember hearing, if though an ability on an older troop becomes a keyword they could errata the old card to keep eveything simple i guess.

heavenscreed
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
in regards to card changes its entirely possible although they dont want to do iti remember hearing, if though an ability on an older troop becomes a keyword they could errata the old card to keep eveything simple i guess.

that's kinda what i was thinking (and kinda hopeing) they would do, but this is all digital so i guess there is a possibility?

Hemlock
06-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Also, have we seen any examples of Elves that aren't named after Shakespearean characters?

heavenscreed
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
considering that's the only elf card i've seen with a specific name for the elf, possibly? any examples of others?

CodexReaper
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Also, have we seen any examples of Elves that aren't named after Shakespearean characters?

They're at the tea party next door with all the Victorian Shin'hare.

Vorpal
06-28-2013, 02:41 PM

I think it's not only good from the standpoint of thematics, but mandatory from the standpoint of balance.

Don't want wild decks to be able to easily give their huge monsters lifedrain? Problem solved! Give all the champs that grant lifedrain diamond thresholds.

Hemlock
06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
considering that's the only elf card i've seen with a specific name for the elf, possibly? any examples of others?

Prospero the Enchanter. And I guess they don't really count as Elves, but the Wild Primals are Titania and Oberon.

jgsugden
06-28-2013, 07:24 PM
The only knock on Flight McGee is that you have to go moderately blue heavy to meet the threshold reliably - and there are a lot of blue creatures with flight. However, that might just mean every creature in your limited deck ends up with flight once it gets out...

Unhurtable
06-29-2013, 02:25 AM

Those with low thresholds can be "gamed" by playing Adaptable Infusion Device (http://www.hex-datamine.com/card.php?c=208). Think the others have high thresholds due to balance issues.

Vomitlord
06-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm sure something will make Elizabeth's power less underwhelming but having said that It's an extra card in hand for 5 charges.

I love the mammoth squirrel titan. A free 6/6 with trample that you are almost certainly going to get out before turn 8. Also an example of why thresholds are needed. would be all kinds of wrong if a mono sapphire control deck could use this power I think.

theeliminator
06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
How many times in one game do you expect to have 12 charges?

You could get it a few times if you have some charge sources. But my point is, after the first time you aren't going to care about his power because there will be so few Shards left in your deck. In Fact you might not even have one shard in the 10 cards of your draw pile. That begs the question. What happens if you have no shards? Does the troop go right to the grave as a 0/0?

MastrFett
06-29-2013, 01:28 PM
So yeah, Feather is going to be an amazing champion for a sapphire deck. Has there been a preview of any non-flight cards that can block cards with flight? I think, as of now, I'll go with a Vampire King blood deck to deal with flight. That card is so strong.

Grissnap
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I first read Elizabeth's powers I was like, no way, that is amazing! But then I reread and it said put into your hand. Oh well. Still not bad for having a guaranteed drop when you reach 5 resources. Definitely more powerful in Inspire decks than anything else.

LogicMouse
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
You could get it a few times if you have some charge sources. But my point is, after the first time you aren't going to care about his power because there will be so few Shards left in your deck. In Fact you might not even have one shard in the 10 cards of your draw pile. That begs the question. What happens if you have no shards? Does the troop go right to the grave as a 0/0?

Don't know about the 0/0 problem, but the card says that those turned over are shuffled back into your deck, not discarded, so I don't see that being too big a problem. All depends how many resources you're willing to stuff your deck with.

ecaflip
07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Running Deer seems absolutely worthless, +6life for 5 charges? I'd much rather use the other coyotle abilities that give me field presence like steadfast or flight. If they wanna make running Deer a healing type, give it perm lifedrain. This is reasonable seeing how a Charge 3 can grant perm flight, Charge 5 for perm lifedrain is balanced.

mydragoon
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
comparing both Ardent and Underworld, personally, i think Underworld has got a lot more 'practical' and 'usable' abilities... for example:

* necrotic rogue to mill the opponent's deck (2 cost)
* necrotic warlord to grant lifedrain ability -- you just need troops that can hit hard (also 2 cost)

from Ardent...
* coyotle mage for ability to grant flight (2 cost)

seriously, i won't really bother with those that require 6 charges since its unlikely that we'll end up with 12 resources (to get to use the ability twice) whereas with the above champions, you are likely to be able to use the abilities at least 3-4 times per match.

abilities aside... another disappointing aspect seems to be the artwork. i dunno... most of the artwork dun stand out. they are ok, but they dun give the ooomph. as it is, some of the card names borders on being silly (i know they are meant to be a parody), but now as work is only so-so... still...