PDA

View Full Version : on champions and drafting...

firemanclam
06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
So, now that we have all the champions revealed, do you feel that your drafting style will be influenced in any way? A few examples of what I mean

a higher propensity to go blood for the orc champ with card draw
lower curve ruby decks, skirting over the high cost cards for 1 and 2 drop quick beaters to work in sync with blaze elementals for a quick win
looking for disruptive sapphire cards to make a sapphires splash worthwhile so you can run the coyotle mage

I know it is tough to wonder if champions will impact draft choices yet, but what do you think?
Apologies for the formatting, I'm typing on a tablet.

Tinuvas
06-28-2013, 11:59 AM
My mind started buzzing the instant I read about the green champ that drops the 6/6 crushing squirrel titan. WHAT!?!?! I don't even like playing wild type decks. Would this make me push for a deeper resource pool knowing that I don't mind getting flooded with a 6/6 bomb waiting on the backside? That hero, coupled with the Shin'hare art article has me really pondering wild play, to my chagrin. Your examples are all also valid thoughts in my head. Deep knowledge of all hero skill interactions will be key to building a better deck in draft I think.

Hatts
06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure you can pick any champion in draft, just like gems and resources. Assuming that's the case I'll let what I draft influence what champion I pick, not the other way around.

jaxsonbatemanhex
06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
No, IMO. None of them seem to have a strong enough impact for their charge cost to warrant sacrificing stronger cards (as in, you shouldn't force a color or archetype simply because one champion is, in a vacuum, better than the others). Most of the champions give a nice, small boost, but nothing bomby enough that you'd build a draft deck around them. Though Dimmid's lifedrain could cause big headaches if the deck he's championing is the aggressor (ie. fully utilizing the lifedrain by attacking).

jaxsonbatemanhex
06-28-2013, 12:07 PM
My mind started buzzing the instant I read about the green champ that drops the 6/6 crushing squirrel titan. WHAT!?!?! I don't even like playing wild type decks. Would this make me push for a deeper resource pool knowing that I don't mind getting flooded with a 6/6 bomb waiting on the backside? That hero, coupled with the Shin'hare art article has me really pondering wild play, to my chagrin. Your examples are all also valid thoughts in my head. Deep knowledge of all hero skill interactions will be key to building a better deck in draft I think.
As I said in my vid with the battle hopper-maker, and the blaze elemental-maker - you could draw the required resources for those charge powers, or you could draw one better card and play that instead of multiple sources.

Though having said that, 6/6 vanilla troop is much better in a draft than it is in constructed, where you'd prefer to be drawing stuff like Jadiim and Uruunaz.

Icepick
06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Though having said that, 6/6 vanilla troop is much better in a draft than it is in constructed, where you'd prefer to be drawing stuff like Jadiim and Uruunaz.

I'd rather have both :D

QuartZ
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I will be drafting first and picking the hero later, hopefully getting some sinergy
as said above none of the skills are that good to force a draft around them

jaxsonbatemanhex
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I do somewhat like the troop making champion in constructed, simply because it gives ramp a guaranteed threat, even if it's totally vanilla. In a draft, it should be good, but it'll depend on the speed of the sets as to how viable it is. I know in some Magic sets hitting 8 resources would be too slow, but in others it'd be playable. Time will tell. :-) Probably my fave 'in a vacuum' champion for wild though, but I still wouldn't force draft wild for it.

Tinuvas
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
No, IMO. None of them seem to have a strong enough impact for their charge cost to warrant sacrificing stronger cards (as in, you shouldn't force a color or archetype simply because one champion is, in a vacuum, better than the others). Most of the champions give a nice, small boost, but nothing bomby enough that you'd build a draft deck around them. Though Dimmid's lifedrain could cause big headaches if the deck he's championing is the aggressor (ie. fully utilizing the lifedrain by attacking).

While on the surface I agree, I can see situations where the synergy of a particular champion with a particular card may make you choose an otherwise slightly inferior card over a slightly superior card with a less synergistic power level. Forcing a shard for a particular champion would, I think, be bad...unless you had a particular reason for doing so that was more important than pure competitive mindset.

Mugaaz
06-28-2013, 12:42 PM
The flight one for 3 charges and the lifelink one for 3 charges seem like the best two for limited play.