PDA

View Full Version : PvP and Guilds

ObsoleteNexus
06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Will the game provide any structure for guilds wishing to run a tournament within their own guild apart from a private 1v1 match, eg: ability for an 8 player private sealed deck game (understand these would not attract World Championship Points).

Xintia
06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Interesting question. I haven't heard another official one way or the other on this, but my gut would say it wouldn't be supported. If guilds are running private "in house" tournaments, then those players aren't in the public tournament queues which increases wait time for everybody (and more pragmatically, takes money out of CZE's pocket for event tickets.) But I could be all wrong.

Mr.Funsocks
06-29-2013, 09:25 PM
That would assumedly be in the same functionality as the leagues they said they want to add in.

And Xintia, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
More people playing does not take money out of the pockets of the company running the game. More people doing more things is more audience for what they're selling, and will almost always yield more cash for them.

Xintia
06-29-2013, 09:32 PM
True enough. A guild running an "in house" draft still had to get the packs from somewhere, so CZE got their cut somewhere along the line. I do still worry about guilds then becoming "insular" and slowing down the public tourney queues, but I suppose in the end its no different than pro teams in Magic or any other game practicing on their own.

Kietay
06-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Even if its not supported easy enough to do this on your own simply manually.

funktion
06-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Well they've definitely said you'll be able to hold your own tournaments, and that they will be highly customizable ones. I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to have a "private" tournament.

keldrin
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm sure there will be in guild tournament supported by the game.
What I want to know though, is can a guild have a tournament, inviting one or more other guilds to participate?
This would make for friendly competition between guilds that are on good terms. Especially break away guilds, from a larger guild.

HyenaNipples
06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
The sense has been that this is a game being created for the players and their enjoyment. Talk of profits and money apply for studios with a big corp looking down from on high, but since Cryptozoic doesn't have that- it looks like they plan on banking in on providing what players want.

Ultimately, it's hard to see how that won't be successful.

Shadowelf
06-30-2013, 02:03 AM
I'm definately seeing this happenning; guild vs guild battles will be fun and promote competitiion, and it's something its not hard to be implemented since the structure of the tournaments has already been laid out

ObsoleteNexus
06-30-2013, 05:38 AM
I am glad another mentioned inter guild tornaments, because my question was also along those lines too.
There will still be plenty and plenty of play in the public queues even with a guild running some of there own events.

Shadowelf
06-30-2013, 06:18 AM
I am glad another mentioned inter guild tornaments, because my question was also along those lines too.
There will still be plenty and plenty of play in the public queues even with a guild running some of there own events.

Interguild tournaments ? yeap sure and u don't need cze to provide anything; u assign groups or pairs of guildmates and u keep a scoreboard running

Stok3d
06-30-2013, 12:12 PM
double post

Stok3d
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Cory stated in one of his early podcasts that there would be as he called it a "Sandbox Feature" when asked a question regarding leagues. With this Sandbox feature you will be able to create and choose:

Sandbox Feature
Choose Event type (league, constructed, draft?)
Event duration
Participant size
Prizes
Guild Only Flag?
ect

Xintia
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Huh, along those lines, are there going to be guild banks? Could a guild provide prizes for a tournament that way?

keldrin
06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Huh, along those lines, are there going to be guild banks? Could a guild provide prizes for a tournament that way?

I would think if a guild wanted to setup a prize from their guild bank, they should be able to. Probably, it would pull the prize from the guild bank as soon as they selected it to be a prize. Multiple guilds participating could toss in prizes that way.

Shadowelf
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Huh, along those lines, are there going to be guild banks?

Yeap definately

Could a guild provide prizes for a tournament that way?

If the guild is willing yes