PDA

View Full Version : New Tool to Play Around With

Bossett
06-30-2013, 06:33 AM
While waiting impatiently for HEX to come out, I've been playing around with some deck builders, etc. but I was having a bit of trouble visualising threshold and how that plays out in multi-coloured decks.

So I built a Resource and Threshold Calculator (http://hexmetrics.ni.tl/tools/resourceDraw) - you just plug in whatever details you want to calculate and it'll pop out a table.

It's very rough at the moment; but please have a poke and let me know what you think, what stuff needs to go in (like how to read the table, etc.) and any other HEX stat problems you want me to try throw in ;)

Cheers,

Bossett

HyenaNipples
06-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Cool stuff! I love it when people simplify mathematics into a useful little engine.

Any plans for dual color decks? That would make it the ultimate :D

Bossett
06-30-2013, 06:44 AM
It does dual colour - click 'Details' :)

EDIT: Changed it to say 'Multi-Colour'

Dralon
06-30-2013, 06:53 AM
That is cool. It would be helpful to some of us (points at myself) to have some explanatory text with the tools, explaining what the percentages mean, etc.

Bossett
06-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Yeah, working on some instructions now.

The gist of it is - the rows are the turn number and the percentage is the % chance of having drawn the number of resources (columns) on that turn.

DjiN
06-30-2013, 07:03 AM
You should change the percentages to be >= number of resources. Atm they are at = number of resources, that's why there is so strange numbers for later turns.

HyenaNipples
06-30-2013, 07:04 AM
This is the ultimate!

Bossett
06-30-2013, 07:10 AM
You should change the percentages to be >= number of resources. Atm they are at = number of resources, that's why there is so strange numbers for later turns.

I will make this an option a little later on (a 'cumulative' tickbox) - I was mostly concerned with visualising the 'curve' in this first cut.

Malama
06-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Cool, thank you. These kind of things are always nice to play around with.

But why not add a column for 0 Resources and Threshold?

Bossett
06-30-2013, 07:30 AM
But why not add a column for 0 Resources and Threshold?

I can probably do that as another option - I kinda built in the assumption that I only care about the potentially playable hands, but neglected the fact that multi-colour decks that draw one colour to start are definitely playable.

There will probably be an 'advanced' pane in the not too distant future to collect up this sort of stuff.

Qorsair
06-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Very nice, thanks for making this available, Bossett!

billybogota
06-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Awesome tool -- thanks Bossett!

Lagoondragon
06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Handy tool you made there, but the percentages shown seem awry.

For example: with default settings* the chance to have drawn exactly 1 resource by turn 3 should be ~2.996%, but the table shows a 4.9% chance for that happening.

* 60 cards 24 resources initial draw 7

source for formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

Bossett
06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Handy tool you made there, but the percentages shown seem awry.

For example: with default settings* the chance to have drawn exactly 1 resource by turn 3 should be ~2.996%, but the table shows a 4.9% chance for that happening.

* 60 cards 24 resources initial draw 7

source for formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

I'm looking at 'chance of drawing a resource on turn <x>', not 'chance of having drawn a resource on turn <x>' - the practical upshot is, you're right about the % chance, but in my table that occurs on turn 4, not 3 (gets rounded to 3.0% on turn 4 in my table).

Bossett
06-30-2013, 06:42 PM
This is in now, as an 'accumulate' checkbox.

Bossett
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I've put together a bit of a long winded explanation (http://hexmetrics.ni.tl/blog/n/using-the-resource-and-threshold-calculator) of the tool, including what you can actually use it for, how it helps, etc.

lamaros
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Good job with this.

Hatts
07-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I use this type of tool so much that I hope it gets made obsolete by the hex deck builder... Good job!