PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Legacy - A PC game to play while you wait for Hex

nicosharp
07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
If you were ever an old school fan of nintendo games, you should truly consider checking this gem out.
http://www.roguelegacy.com/
(if you buy it get it from this site, as you get a DRM free copy and a steam copy(that you can gift))

This game is a roguelike(permadeath 1 life)
where what you did in your last run effects your future generations
it's also a bit like castlevania(gameplay) and metroid(upgrades) - really similar to Ghouls N Ghosts (an old fave)

You can easily sink 30 hours into this game and not get bored. It has RPG, Platformer, and Shooter elements in it, that give it a ton of replayability.

(highly recommend getting a wired xbox controller for $25 or less retail if you don't have one - controller based PC games will become a norm soon if you enjoy random titles from steam)

SomeoneRandom
07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
I currently am in love with this game, I started playing it at 1am Friday and then randomly looked and it was light out... it is SO addicting... and I am constantly saying "okay just one more generation"

nicosharp
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
me too.. I already 'beat' 1 normal play through.... 125 children to do it
I won't spoil anything though.

All I gotta say is I.B.S with penta jumps.

Grubar
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
thumbs up to this post. Rogue Legacy is a fantastic game. Challenging and rewarding. It also has a new game plus feature so you will have countless hours of game play.

I had 90 children on my first play through.. but this second one looks to be a little bit more challenging :)

nicosharp
07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
thumbs up to this post. Rogue Legacy is a fantastic game. Challenging and rewarding. It also has a new game plus feature so you will have countless hours of game play.

new game plus is kind of a spoiler.. but yeah.. I wish I knew that before 'beating' the first version.. damn that is hard.

Grubar
07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
wasn't trying to spoil.. I think it helps to know that you will get more out of the game. I was a little worried when I was near the end and I was missing a lot of upgrades/gear.

Think of it more like Diablo.. you get to a nightmare like difficulty.. harder monsters.. better loot.

NoahBuddy
07-01-2013, 04:35 PM
glad to hear you guys like it. i was really considering buying this and now i surely will.

cavench
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm either going to buy Rogue Legacy or Dust Elysian Tail. But I'm holding out for steam summer sale, it's a long shot that these two games will be on sales... but Steam has surprised me many times before.

fitzle
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Steam summer sale! That's like the highlight of my summer. I admit though I bought so much on the GOG summer sale I probably have enough games to play until sometime in 2017.

heatzz
07-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I wonder how many new game+ are there, was watching a stream and he complete new game +3 and guess what?

It's new game +4 now!

Xintia
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah Steam sales are bad for my wallet. I picked up SPAZ a couple days ago for $2, amazing fun at that price. And today I grabbed Fable for $3. I actually really liked the original so that was an easy buy. :p

Khazrakh
07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Do I need a controller to play the game? I never got into that controller stuff, but it really does sound interesting. So could I play it with my keyboard?

Gwaer
07-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I have been playing with my keyboard, it works, but I can see how a controller would be much better.

Mivo
07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm either going to buy Rogue Legacy or Dust Elysian Tail. But I'm holding out for steam summer sale, it's a long shot that these two games will be on sales... but Steam has surprised me many times before.

I haven't played Rogue Legacy (the feedback on the Steam forum wasn't that positive when I looked, though people here seem to dig it, so I need to look again), but Dust is an absolute gem. It plays extremely well, the story is solid, it has memorable characters and the animations/art are superb. It's a steal even at the full price. Really enjoyed it!

Kilo24
07-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Currently at New Game Plus #6, and it's become fairly easy to sneak through to the bosses as an Assassin then kill all of them on the next life with a Archmage + Time Stop. I think I'm finished with it for at least a while.

Having finished both Dust and Rogue Legacy, I'd favor Dust unless longevity is a major draw or if you want a significant roguelike challenge. Both are quite good, however.

Mugaaz
07-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I played both and preferred Rogue Legacy over Dust as well, but like mentioned previously, both are solid games.

Rycajo
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
I haven't played Rogue Legacy (the feedback on the Steam forum wasn't that positive when I looked, though people here seem to dig it, so I need to look again), but Dust is an absolute gem. It plays extremely well, the story is solid, it has memorable characters and the animations/art are superb. It's a steal even at the full price. Really enjoyed it!

And you don't even have to pay full price as Dust is on sale on Steam today, 50% off.

Mugaaz
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Don't understand people needing Steam sales on $15 indie games. These are already pretty much the most content you can get via any form of entertainment at that price point.

cavench
07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
And you don't even have to pay full price as Dust is on sale on Steam today, 50% off.

Woo, thanks for the heads up!

Don't understand people needing Steam sales on $15 indie games. These are already pretty much the most content you can get via any form of entertainment at that price point.

I agree, but money is still money.

nicosharp
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
True. I am trying to be better as a consumer and buy games from developers directly for the full-price if they are indie cause they make more that way. I love steam, but it really takes a chunk away from the people making these amazing indie games.

Steam sales just help boost a games visibility, and further incentivize people to try them out.

As someone that dropped a ridiculous amount of money on a card game that I can't play, there is no need for me to be stingy with indie games, if I know they will consume my time and that I will actually play them.

That said, I have purchased bundles, and individual games that I have never installed or played.. to shame. Impulse shopping.

Prism
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Do I need a controller to play the game? I never got into that controller stuff, but it really does sound interesting. So could I play it with my keyboard?

The game is far better with a controller. Anything works. I'm using a wiimote as my xbox controllers are at home and it is fine. I probably would not bother with this game without a controller but with it I've popped 20-30 hours in over the past few days. Really fun game, shame there isn't much customization and it's more just "unlock everything, then grind!"