PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Hex - Pilot Episode & Contest (for 3x Slacker Backers)

Alzorath
07-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Since I plan to incorporate Hex into my channel fairly heavily on launch, with commentary, strategy, etc. - and I wanted to launch my "Friday Night Hex" series with a bang - here is a contest for Hex fans out there, and up for grabs are 3 Slacker Backers. Contest ends July 15th - everyone's welcome to participate, more info in the video below.

http://youtu.be/VPDUO6Riv50

Contest Ended, here's the roundup video:

http://youtu.be/PrVjB8kSM5Q

Tathel
07-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Was totally leaning to pacifism until pact of pain dropped ^_^,
I think card advantage is too good in limited to pass it up and there might be other opportunities for removal spells.

Won't enter contest cause i'm already collector so better to leave it for someone else, but interesting idea Alzorath!

limpit
07-05-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm entered, and I went for Pact of Pain as it was a no-brainer with the other cards in my opinion, and if I have it, it means you can't have it (unless another one appears in another pack of course!).

If I win I'll be donating my prize to my friend who wants to be a Slacker Backer but can't afford it. :)

Thanks for the contest Alzorath, and I'm sure I'll be checking out your videos in the future!

Pech
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
I selected Inner Conflict as a soft removal as it has playability for beginning, mid, and late game. Pact of Pain was my second choice.
Great video Alzorath keep up the good work.

Alzorath
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Really enjoying the responses to the video, much bigger response than I thought it would get :D - keep them coming, heh - going to be difficult to judge the 'best reason' prize, heck, if there's a big enough interest in this kind of thing, I'll definitely try running more 'draft contests' in the future (while the prize pools may not be as big, could definitely swing a few free drafts after the game releases :D)

Gorgol
07-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Bah, Youtube comments allow for so little explanation =( I picked Burn though. Pact of Pain its nice but it basically pigeonholes you into mono blood or heavy blood + life gain. Inner conflict does stop a any troop but it does not remove the enemy troop so it can still be sacrificed or used in other ways such as buffing their troops. It also is double the cost of Burn and does not have the other option of being used as straight champion damage that Burn does. Fate Rack would have been an interesting choice because if you get it out on turn 3 and can spare the resources each turn you could mill 1/2 of their deck by turn 13. However that is the only thing that card can be used for, and thus isn't 1st pick. You could really make an argument for Wild Growth as it has the same cost as Burn but can do double the damage potentially OR since it is a Quick Action can be used on a bait blocker to crush an opponents troop, but I feel the requirement of having to have not only a troop but a non-exhausted one (if blocking) leads it to be very slightly less useful.

Alzorath
07-05-2013, 12:19 PM
heh, that's the main reason I encourage discussion in the threads I post about this (while they aren't the 'judging criteria', it does help expand upon points that you made on youtube - which leads to a lot of good strategy discussion in general :D )

ramseytheory
07-05-2013, 12:59 PM
This was a really nice idea for a contest! I actually like how the limited number of characters in Youtube comments forces you to condense your reasoning.

Shadowelf
07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Pact of pain or inner fire would have been my choice;

Anyway good job, keep them coming :)

Stok3d
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Who doesn't love a contest. Thank you!!!

Dralon
07-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Nice work on the video. Subscribed and looking forward to more!

Alzorath
07-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Glad you guys are enjoying it, so far the distribution of votes has actually surprised me a bit :) (I won't reveal the tallies until the end of the voting process - though I think next friday I'll talk about my views on each of the cards - that or Bread)

Mortal_Wombat
07-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I must say it's quite depressing reading the comments and realizing you're the only one who picked the card i picked xD

subtle bump :)

Alzorath
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Heh, there's still one card that no one has picked ;) - I'm avoiding saying what my first/last picks would be for now, but your choice wasn't a bad one, and I liked your reasoning. The major things to note about that card though is that it's a "basic action" not a "quick action"... and that it relies on being part of a 2 card combo to be effective (though if you pull it and a bomb creature, ... oh my :P).

9 more days to go...

Would all of you prefer if I did my opinions of these cards on the 12th (3 days before the end), or wait until the 19th (ie post-competition)

Gorgol
07-06-2013, 05:38 PM
You said you were going to pick one from the most picked option so I think doing it before the end could influence which card that would be if it is close between a couple.

SerraElise
07-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I would do it Post-Comp to not have anyone swayed by your opinions on the matter.

Mortal_Wombat
07-07-2013, 02:48 AM
Honestly i would like to see it on the 12th, it could ignite a few conversations in the comments or here. it's 3 days before the draw so if nobody goes back and changes their entry i think it shouldn't affect the balance that much but gives us more stuff to talk about which means more exposure and more entries :)

Alzorath
07-07-2013, 09:40 AM
I've got everyone's initial votes in a database, and it will flag it if someone changes their vote :) - if I do release a video on these cards on the 12th, I will probably instate a 'vote lock-in' then.

As an aside, while I do have the current voting numbers and such, those will most definitely not be revealed by me until after the end of the contest :) (so if people want to count them, they'll have to do it manually lol)

Alzorath
07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Sitting at 70 submissions at the moment, if my finances allow it, I might try to add a 4th prize (not confirmed) if the number of submissions reaches a certain point (just to give people a better chance to win) - I'm not going to give a number, because I don't want to promote 'dud' submissions - just want to get this game into the eyes of as many people interested in it as realistically possible.

Once the game launches, I'll be holding similar competitions, but for in-game prizes instead of slacker backers. (doubt I'll have time/money to have a 2nd slacker backer competition prior to launch)

Mortal_Wombat
07-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Sitting at 70 submissions at the moment, if my finances allow it, I might try to add a 4th prize (not confirmed) if the number of submissions reaches a certain point (just to give people a better chance to win) - I'm not going to give a number, because I don't want to promote 'dud' submissions - just want to get this game into the eyes of as many people interested in it as realistically possible.

Once the game launches, I'll be holding similar competitions, but for in-game prizes instead of slacker backers. (doubt I'll have time/money to have a 2nd slacker backer competition prior to launch)

Have you thought about linking your video on reddit? The Hex subreddit there has over 850 subscribers and if you posted the link a day or two before the contest ends i have a feeling the number of entries would double. Unless you made this contest exclusively for your subscribers and this forum

Alzorath
07-09-2013, 06:11 AM
I don't visit reddit very often, but that's definitely an idea... if I remember, I'll post it the Friday before, though if anyone else wanted to drop it on there sooner, that'd be fine too :) (I honestly didn't even know Hex had a subreddit) - and no, this competition is open to everyone, and you're more than welcome to invite friends, strangers, what have you :). Maybe even convince some people who would otherwise not ever try Hex.

Mortal_Wombat
07-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I also don't really visit reddit that often. i just made my account few days ago but i think i'll continue using it MTG/DotP2014, Hex, Path of Exile and Dark Souls subreddits seem friendly :). I went back and forth on suggesting this because of the competition that's bound to increase but a little healthy competition is never a bad thing and i know there are more people in my position who might have missed the kickstarter and can't really afford the slacker backer and i know i'd like it if someone told me about this contest if i didn't already know about it so i made a post and linked your video on /r/HexTCG (http://www.reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/1hxnzh/alzoraths_friday_night_hex_pilot_episode_contest/) - i hope that's ok. i did give you credit and told them to enter, subscribe, like, comment and thank the person who wants to give them free stuff :).

Alzorath
07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Many thanks :) - and the more participants the better, leads to more ideas and discussion - there's been some really high quality reasonings behind choices - both popular and unpopular.

Mortal_Wombat
07-11-2013, 01:46 AM
No problem :). If more is better i'm also an active member at SteamGifts and i could post it there too if you have the time to track even more entries. the forum there is really active and i already talked a few times with people there about TCG's so there probably would be interest. I don't know how much exactly, because my timing is not the best. with Steam Summer Sale probably starting today or tomorrow it could get buried but i'm sure there'll be at least a few people entering the contest. i could post it there too, with your permission of course :)

Alzorath
07-12-2013, 07:23 AM
The more the merrier :) - brings more attention to Hex, which is always a good thing (and it doesn't take too long to track new entries, I just load it into a database, it's about 5 seconds per entry for the 'random' selections, though I take about 30seconds to a minute per entry to read it through and get a feel for what the person was going for, and there's a few of us going through the 'reasonings', though I do read them all :D)

Mortal_Wombat
07-12-2013, 08:00 AM
The more the merrier, great :). I linked it on SteamGifts and we'll see how many notice it. it's crazy over there now, everybody's posting "what do i buy?", "will Whatever 2: the return of Whatever be on sale", "What did you buy", "do i grab it now at 50% off or risk and wait for 75%"... kind of posts due to the sale :).

Mortal_Wombat
07-14-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm bumping this thread by posting that i bumped the one on SteamGifts because the window for entries is getting narrower :)

sayuu
07-14-2013, 03:32 AM
good contest!

I would sign up, but I already backed Hex so I will leave it to the latecomers.

good luck with all your endeavors

Alzorath
07-14-2013, 07:02 AM
A bit under 48 hours left for those still interested, also I avoided releasing my card opinions on Friday Night Hex #2, instead talking more about permanence and transformative properties and how they impact the game :)

Alzorath
07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Winners have been chosen - with how successful this contest has been so far, you can definitely expect more hex related contests in the future (especially after the alpha/beta launches)

Winners Confirmed - Congratulations Benutzer01, Pasty McCheese, and Joseph Watson.

hammer
07-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Thought Id post the winning comments for ease of reference....

benutzer1221 1 week ago
My pick would be Thunderbird!
I always wanted a blue bird as a pet when I was a kid. Instead I got this crazy cat who tried to murder me several times. It's still with us but it has it's own room now, so we don't meet so often anymore, which makes me kinda sad.
Anyways, that's the reason why I would pick Inner conflict :)

pasty mccheese 1 week ago
I'd go with Inner conflict here going on my knowledge of MtG :p.
The main reason is because it's removal. An other reason, it's the only good card in this booster of diamond. Picking this card makes this booster useless for your opponents who chose to play diamond in the draft. Hopefully they need to go chose another color and you can pick all the good diamond cards out :p.

Joseph Watson 1 week ago
Thunderbird, definitely. Fly right over their defenses and smack them every turn for more and more damage. Plus, you can probably draft more than one since it's a common.

Praeto82
07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
thx for this video :)

Alzorath
07-16-2013, 12:09 PM
You're welcome, I'll try to host more contests when it's financially feasible :) - As an aside, Episode 3 will actually cover my opinions of these cards, as well as officially announce the contest winners. (Episode 2 covered permanent card transformations, and to an extent deck manipulation)

Mortal_Wombat
07-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Most heartfelt congratulations to the winners and big thanks to Alzorath for hosting this contest, it was really fun reading all the comments :)

Also do you guys think elevators ever want to go sideways?

Alzorath
07-20-2013, 07:07 AM
And here's my round-up video, I look forward to doing more contests for Hex in the future :D

http://youtu.be/PrVjB8kSM5Q