PDA

View Full Version : Card Preview: Comet Strike and Unmerciful Tormentor

Shaqattaq
07-05-2013, 01:06 PM
by Mike Rosenberg

A little backstory: the world of Entrath never used to be a place torn by conflict in pursuit of hex gems. In fact, before the great calamity that threw Entrath and its inhabitants into chaos, the only gems native to the planet were Blood magic and Wild magic.

http://hextcg.com/card-preview-comet-strike-and-unmerciful-tormentor/

MegaZeroX
07-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Unmerciful Tormenter looks interesting. I was planning on going with Shin'hare, but Orcs will probably be my secondary deck.

Krenos
07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Mill deck, get opponent below 10 cards in deck then Wha-BAM with Comet Strike.

Estar1
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
In Pve Comet Strike is a really low chance turn 1 kill with both of its equipment. Have it in hand make it cost 0, then draw it with its ability/ first draw then have Armageddon trigger.

Madican
07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Armageddon equipment is going to be seriously expensive on the AH.

Milamber
07-05-2013, 08:00 PM
The article says 10 extra resources?
I read it as 50, 10 of each.
That indeed brings in some interesting deck build shenanigans with cards that proc something when the are removed from play.
This deck could possibly play a few high resource cards that normally wouldn't make play.
I know there's no demonic tutors but have any cards been spoiled that would aid drawing the comet?

Madican
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
A blue-draw deck maybe. This card is definitely intriguing, but with such a high cost it won't be very good in draft. Constructed however, I can see this thing becoming a good bomb. And in Wild West format? It will be godly.

IndigoShade
07-05-2013, 10:27 PM
The article says 10 extra resources?
I read it as 50, 10 of each.
That indeed brings in some interesting deck build shenanigans with cards that proc something when the are removed from play.
This deck could possibly play a few high resource cards that normally wouldn't make play.
I know there's no demonic tutors but have any cards been spoiled that would aid drawing the comet?

10 of each threshold, 0 resources the turn the comet hits, but 10 resources every turn thereafter (in M:tG terms 10 lands that can produce any color come into play tapped). 2 cards I can think of that would help 'draw' comet are The Transcended and Eye of Creation.

I think it combos pretty well with EoC. If you can ramp up the resources to play a 10 point EoC and reveal Comet Strike, cast that first then plop down everything else revealed. If you have the resources and draw Comet Strike instead of EoC, drop it and you'll have the resources to play EoC should you draw it. You won't have cards in your hand, but it won't matter if you EoC for 7+ and your opponent has nothing.

Hemlock
07-05-2013, 10:32 PM
If you throw down a 13-point Eye of Creation, you've already won.

The bottom line is, there are much easier ways to win. I'd rather put down pretty much any of the 8- or 7-point bombs we've seen than Comet Strike, even if the deck was specifically made for it. Shenanigans will be had in PVE for sure, but other then that...

Milamber
07-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Thanks indigoShade, good qualification and shenanigans abound with EOC! Fo sure.

Hemlock: agreed re strategic hi resource drop but yea interesting build archetypes for PVE and keep defence were what I was thinking.
I'd like to see how the AI played a resulting PVE deck.

RuthlessSqueak
07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Just wanted to comment that "unmerciful" is really painful to read, especially with how many other great colorful adjectives could have been chosen.
Coming to mind immediately:
Merciless (same meaning, more commonly used, less letters)
Cruel (If you are trying to appeal to the younglings)
Sadistic (very close to the same meaning, more vibrant and colorful, may offend some who associate it with BDSM or sexual pleasure and haven't yet been numbed to its usual usage in regard to killers)

SeaOfInsanity
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
If an actual Comet hits the field when Comet Strike is played that would be cool.

TheWrathofShane
07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
How to break comet strike
~Look for cards that say "Top of Library".

Still 10 mana and 2 card combo win condition that can probably be countered is not broken at all. I think its a super power mythic rare and would be extremely fun in casual multiplayer, would love playing it in a deck with a bunch of big spells.

The other guy might see play in competitive PvP.
~Depends how fast orcs can unload their hands.
~Board sweepers might prevent topdeck mode orcs from being to much of a problem.

Helbendt
07-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Oh, hey, I remember Unmerciful's mechanic from Dissension. Good to see it back, that was a fun one.

ecaflip
07-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Comet strike doesn't really seem worth it, void both players field,hand, and grave... then both players get +0/10 and +10 of every threshold. After you use this card your opponent would essentially have 20+ resource to roflstomp you next turn with whatever card they draw and you would likely have no field to protect yourself with after using this field nuke. 6/10 its okay