PDA

View Full Version : Add Sub-Gifting into Exclusives

MoikPEI
07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
We need a Suggestions forum.

In Pokemon, exclusives are distributed by a "Wonder Card". It's basically a save slot for promotional items specifically. You go to GameStop, connect to the DS Hotspot, download your Mystery Gift, bam; crazy pokemans. So I was checking out the technical notes on them (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Card) and noticed a new feature that wasn't there back when I played pokemon:

"Some Wonder Cards for games may also be sent to other players, enabling a player with an event to distribute the card for the event to players that do not yet have it."

I view changes usually being invested in for solving a problem. Possibly the problem was parents writing in to Nintendo about crying children who missed out on a pokemon. But anyways, the input of that new idea got my brain rolling in that direction.

Would this be cool for both sides of exlusives-wanters and exclusives-haters:

1) CZE distributes Event Item at Event Location to Event Visitors
2) Event Visitor adds Event Item to their account
3) Event Gifting is enabled for Event Visitor
4) Event Visitor gives Event Gifts to Users on Friends List
5) Users on Friends List add Referral Codes to Accounts
6) Users on Friends List get Event Items
7) Event Visitor's Event Item recieves a small boost per activation of Event Gift

This would allow everyone to potentially recieve the item (reducing or eliminating complaints), and the people who attend the event would have some reward which is more unique to them than others to mark the occasion (and make them The Popular Kid for a while). It would change 'exclusives' from a boolean of have/have-not into a spectrum of have/have-better/have-best.

Kietay
07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Well I am a fan of pokemon... but this seems suspiciously like communism. What a conundrum!

MoikPEI
07-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh! Nonono! Because people only share with their friends! So it's more like a Masonic Lodge!

Yoss
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Interesting concept. I'll say that I tentatively support it, but have not thought it through.

Kietay
07-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I like the masons. Im in.

Stok3d
07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Sorry, no from me.

I want things in this game to have value. This kills that.

Evilgm
07-07-2013, 05:44 AM
I want things in this game to have value. This kills that.

If they're giving away something that is non-tradable, such as Mercenaries, then their rarity has no effect on value.

I like this idea. My only concern is people using this to "sell" copies of the card, which I imagine CZE would be against.

Yoss
07-07-2013, 08:42 AM
My only concern is people using this to "sell" copies of the card, which I imagine CZE would be against.
Actually, Cory has already said he expects merc sales.

limpit
07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I keep finding myself caught up in this argument and I think I change my mind each time!

I like the possibility of still being able to get hold of cards which were event exclusives, but these cards seem to be the main ones which keep their value for the longest. I'm a collector at heart, but it doesn't mean I haven't sold the occasional card to fund another few booster packs (or boxes!). My main worry is that anything which lowers the exclusivity of a card will ultimately make the game cost more.

On the other hand, living in England makes it extremely expensive for me to go to most events as they all seem to be at least an airplane ride away! I think on this occasion I'm going to have to disagree with anything that dilutes the 'collectible' side of things.

JesusChristMD
07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
I don't want this to be a part of Hex.

residualshade
07-08-2013, 09:26 AM
i can see why many people would be opposed to this due to exclusivity. but what if we tweaked this idea. instead of sub gifting the same card you sub gift a different card that is related to the primary event card. for example say we had King X as an event exclusive card. the player with that card could then sub gift Knight of King X or something along those lines to others.

Xenavire
07-08-2013, 09:36 AM
We need a Suggestions forum.

In Pokemon, exclusives are distributed by a "Wonder Card". It's basically a save slot for promotional items specifically. You go to GameStop, connect to the DS Hotspot, download your Mystery Gift, bam; crazy pokemans. So I was checking out the technical notes on them (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Card) and noticed a new feature that wasn't there back when I played pokemon:

"Some Wonder Cards for games may also be sent to other players, enabling a player with an event to distribute the card for the event to players that do not yet have it."

I view changes usually being invested in for solving a problem. Possibly the problem was parents writing in to Nintendo about crying children who missed out on a pokemon. But anyways, the input of that new idea got my brain rolling in that direction.

Would this be cool for both sides of exlusives-wanters and exclusives-haters:

1) CZE distributes Event Item at Event Location to Event Visitors
2) Event Visitor adds Event Item to their account
3) Event Gifting is enabled for Event Visitor
4) Event Visitor gives Event Gifts to Users on Friends List
5) Users on Friends List add Referral Codes to Accounts
6) Users on Friends List get Event Items
7) Event Visitor's Event Item recieves a small boost per activation of Event Gift

This would allow everyone to potentially recieve the item (reducing or eliminating complaints), and the people who attend the event would have some reward which is more unique to them than others to mark the occasion (and make them The Popular Kid for a while). It would change 'exclusives' from a boolean of have/have-not into a spectrum of have/have-better/have-best.

I am fairly certain this was introduced alongside of the first wondercard, but if it was it was hidden in the coding and never utilised. It was first used with Pokemon Platinaum for the secret key for Rotom. Very few events have ever used this system - they were only ever used for in-game unlockable features, never exclusive pokemon.

So the idea might sound good, but I vote no - they should be widespread without resorting to things like this.

Dnai01
07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
To add value to things(such as digital cards) they must be limited in quantity. Not every person should be able to get every single card. To make so many extra copies of exclusive cards would devalue them for those that spent the time/effort/energy/money to get them.

Xenavire
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
To add value to things(such as digital cards) they must be limited in quantity. Not every person should be able to get every single card. To make so many extra copies of exclusive cards would devalue them for those that spent the time/effort/energy/money to get them.

But they shouldn't be so prohibitave that a player who didn't have the money or time to attend can never, ever get them. There is already a huge thread on this - AA and sleeves have been deemed fine, but not Mercs (which have a genuine impact on gameplay). So keep the AA and sleeves rare, but the mercs should be widely available.

And I am pretty sure the idea was based around making mercs (which are untradable) a little more easy to obtain, not cards.