PDA

View Full Version : Card Preview: Living Totem and Wizard of the Silver Talon

Shaqattaq
07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
by Mike Rosenberg

If you need a troop that can compete against some 2 ATK armies, give it a permanent +1/+1. If you just want to hold down the ground, start off by giving it swiftstrike. Fighting against troops with flight? Send your Living Totem into the skies…then give it swiftstrike, so it can rule the skies with ease!

http://hextcg.com/card-preview-july-12th/

Chiany
07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope that isn't the only update we get today....

Ontopic:

The cards aren't bad, and fun to build with

Estar1
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Totem looks to be a great card in constructed, limited, and pve(with the boots).

The Wizard is an average limited card but not the greatest, its only upside is there seems to be very few creatures with 3 attack so far revealed.

On another note I like how the attack symbol is much more defined from the toughness symbol now. Furthermore like how the mana cost stands out on the card compared to previous reveals

Alwalys good to see UI imprisonments.

mmimzie
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I like the totem. great mana dump for a control deck. You susaly end up floating alot of mana into your enemy turn when your playing a hardcore control deck so hes a good use for unused mana.

The new Icons look very nice and clean the small axe and shield icons could actualy be bigger. They'd look pretty nice.

nicosharp
07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Totem looks amazing. Nice tempo card.

Vorpal
07-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Both these cards look great, though wizard will be better in pve.

New icons are significantly more legible, though I do prefer swords over axes. Crossed swords could be confused with a parry or riposte which might be defensive!

Corpselocker
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
This card will be perfect in my "Death by Owl" deck.

Aethnen
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah both of these cards are solid entries into the fray. I really like the Totem.

BenStoll
07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Corpselocker, I will try my best to get more owls into future sets, just for you.

apocdragon
07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I was wanting to play a Sapphire Deck before the wizard card you just announced. Now, you solidified my choice as my starting deck option, a Sapphire Deck.

Corpselocker
07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Corpselocker, I will try my best to get more owls into future sets, just for you.

Holy crap! *faints*

I'll be eagerly awaiting a Murderous Owl ;)

CrownZero
07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
I for one am looking forward to the Totem. I think that it will have place in a couple of decks just due to it's versatility. It's cost, power/toughness, and activation cost seem just about right on to me without being over/under powered. If the Living Totem is the type of card that we can look forward to being in HEX, then I'm not sure if my drool cup can handle much more.

Dracatis
07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
These are actually my two new favorite cards now(other then Ozawa), especially with their equipment.

Could you do more squirrels too? Already I know I'm going to use Polonius for a deck or two :P

Thallium45
07-12-2013, 06:07 PM
oh god why did they change the attk and def icons? does anyone else think it looks terrible as an axe?

Atomzed
07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
oh god why did they change the attk and def icons? does anyone else think it looks terrible as an axe?

It is not as cool as a sword... but I think that its much clearer now that it's an attack icon. I'm fine with the changes in the UI

heavenscreed
07-12-2013, 08:43 PM
i wanna play so bad >.< and these cards make it all the more exciting. so many unique ways that these cards can work!

Also, card preview on my birthday!!! woot! lol :P

Madican
07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
The totem sounds like it'd be interesting lorewise.

"Come on Raven, I want to drive."
"Don't ask me, Bear's got control of the legs."
"Leg. Single. Wolf has the rest."
"So that's why we've been making a circle in the grass for the last hour."

theeliminator
07-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I think the axe is a lot better then a crossed swords. I also feel its a lot clearer.

Roneci
07-13-2013, 12:15 AM
The change in iconography brought an idea to mind -- perhaps CZE could allow players to choose between a certain number of variations for things such as the attack/defense symbols. These changes could be client side to avoid confusion, and would allow users to customize their cards a bit just for themselves.

In example: one could choose to have the attack represented by either crossed swords or the axe.

I'll admit that this would probably lead to confusion during streams.

GreyWorm
07-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Is the living totems power means you can have one ability at a time, or do they stack?

Lafoote
07-13-2013, 04:21 AM
These cards seem absurdly fun with equipment. I really don't know how I'll ever be able to whittle down cards to an actual PVE deck.

ZacPhoenix
07-13-2013, 05:52 AM
The owl and wizard seem like a fun combo to play. That Totem is pretty damned useful too.

MastrFett
07-13-2013, 08:06 PM

The main thing that bothers me is the change of activation cost from [x] to the circle with the x inside. It is the same symbol used on the Gax mercenary charge power. When I first saw the card I assumed it required 2 charges from your champions, then I realized what they were going for.

Wednesday
07-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Is the living totems power means you can have one ability at a time, or do they stack?

The ability grants a permanent bonus in the mode that you choose. In other words, they stack.

Helbendt
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
I can definitely see the magpie-mode Owls making Sapphire a force in PvE - card draw is not a thing to be underestimated.

Totem is neat and all, but you need to be careful with that thing. Pumping it comes at a heavy price in resources, and one good play from your opponent can turn that entire massive investment into a huge waste.

Ginaz
07-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Both cards seem pretty solid. Quick question though. With the Owl Familiar card, it says "its master gets", what does "its master" mean exactly? Is the master the card Wizard of the Silver Talon or you/your champion? Thanks.

Helbendt
07-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Both cards seem pretty solid. Quick question though. With the Owl Familiar card, it says "its master gets", what does "its master" mean exactly? Is the master the card Wizard of the Silver Talon or you/your champion? Thanks.
It's pretty clearly referring to the Wizard that spawned it in, seeing as how players/champs don't have the stats that it boosts.

Rycajo
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I love how the totem is a good example of a card that would not work in a paper TCG. A physical card will generally only be allowed one type of token on it, to prevent confusion. This card blows that limitation out of the water.

nickon
07-17-2013, 12:48 AM
I am really liking these new cards! I think Living Totem will be good in any type of deck, but will be extra useful in an inspire deck. The Wizard of the Silver Talon seems to be one of the more exciting cards for sapphire at the moment, and the current equipment for it looks exciting as well!

Deathfog
07-17-2013, 09:14 PM
That totem is excellent for the cost and only 1 threshold. Hard to beat anything with that much utility for a cost 2 2/2 with no real drawbacks. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get knocked up to cost 3 with no other changes.

Rycajo
07-17-2013, 10:40 PM
I bet it will stay at 2/2. It is a rare after all.

The drawback on the totem is, without investing additional shards, it is just a vanilla 2/2 for 2. That isn't exactly very exciting.

The upside on the totem is flexibility and a great place to dump excess mana.

LargoLaGrande
07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I love how the totem is a good example of a card that would not work in a paper TCG. A physical card will generally only be allowed one type of token on it, to prevent confusion. This card blows that limitation out of the water.

Cough (http://magiccards.info/tp/en/278.html).

Although, yes, there is a good reason why things like that aren't done in MTG anymore.

Kslidz
07-19-2013, 11:58 AM
its friday at work i need something to think about where are my articles

OrpheusOverdrive
08-13-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope that the art for the owl familiar card is just a placeholder because just zooming in on the same artwork is pretty cheesy and bad looking. Also, is it just me or is the Living Totem card just plain creepy looking lol.

the_artic_one
08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
It was mentioned somewhere that the owl art is indeed a placeholder.

teasel
08-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I hope that the art for the owl familiar card is just a placeholder because just zooming in on the same artwork is pretty cheesy and bad looking. Also, is it just me or is the Living Totem card just plain creepy looking lol.

the imagination engine suffer from that too

OrpheusOverdrive
08-17-2013, 09:33 AM
It was mentioned somewhere that the owl art is indeed a placeholder.
Ah cool. Thanks!