PDA

View Full Version : Deck Editing Interface: An Idea

iscariotrex
07-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I want to say upfront that I don't have a lot of experience with digital TCGs; I've only played Duel of Champions. The screenshots we've seen so far for the deck editor looks pretty similar to theirs actually. We don't know a lot about what tools will be available to us yet, but I was thinking about it and had a suggestion that I thought would be borderline awesome just from a convenience standpoint.

Have it be more like a deck list instead of building the actual deck. Instead of pulling cards into a deck subtab, that is then that deck, think of it like a notepad where you theory craft what you want in your deck. You could have as many decks as you want written up in this editor. When you want to play a given deck you hit a button to assemble those cards from your collection(that were previously assigned to the list), hit another button to sleeve it with whatever nifty you have in your collection and you are good to go.

Where this is different in my experience, is it minimizes the number of cards you need in your collection to play different decks. In Duels once a card is assigned, it can't go into another deck if you want multiple playable decks ready at the same time. If you had cards that you want to play in different decks you would have to spend time pulling cards out of one deck and putting them into another. Unnecessary pain in the ass. This problem becomes slightly compounded in this game if you are gaining xp, achievements, badges with specific cards. It would be nice to be able to assign a card to multiple places,especially since you will only use one source at a time anyway.

If, for some reason, you have traded off given cards since you last used that deck, it can assemble what you do have and give you a notice that the deck is incomplete. At that time you could assign other cards to fill in.

I don't know if I am saying this the best it could possibly be said, but it is a feature that I think would be crazy useful.

Avaian
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM
This is how it will work. As long as you own the cards you can place them in any number of decks.

I doubt you will be able to sell/trade any card you are using in a deck already.

iscariotrex
07-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I understand you would be able to put a card in however many decks you want. I'm just saying from limited prior experience, you put a card into a specific deck, if you want that card in another deck you have to take it out of deck 1 and put it into deck 2. Otherwise if you want two complete decks without swapping cards too and fro, you needed multiples. If you need a play-set in two different decks you need 8 of that card. In what I'm suggesting you would assign the same four cards to 2 separate lists, then when you choose a list it gets those cards for you.

LordGorchnik
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I understand you would be able to put a card in however many decks you want. I'm just saying from limited prior experience, you put a card into a specific deck, if you want that card in another deck you have to take it out of deck 1 and put it into deck 2. Otherwise if you want two complete decks without swapping cards too and fro, you needed multiples. If you need a play-set in two different decks you need 8 of that card. In what I'm suggesting you would assign the same four cards to 2 separate lists, then when you choose a list it gets those cards for you.

Right but I don't think that is how it will be. As long as you create a new deck ALL of your cards should be available for that deck just as long as you stick within the 4 card count for multiple copies. And even if it is not at the beginning, I am sure CZE will make lots of adjustments to the deck editor as the game goes on.

BossHoss
07-12-2013, 09:06 PM
It has already been confirmed that you need no more than 4 of every card in your collection and they can be used in multiple decks at the same time. The digital space takes care of the "unsleeving and resleeving"...

iscariotrex
07-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks BossHoss, do you have a link for that? I have been reading everything I can for quite some time, just checking to see what I missed.

Yoss
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm also hoping that the deck builder will let you theorycraft with cards you don't own, like you can do (poorly) with the MTG Gatherer site. Then when you're ready, it should let you auto-buy what you need on the AH (which should be bid/ask as we've talked about in other threads).

Shadowelf
07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks BossHoss, do you have a link for that? I have been reading everything I can for quite some time, just checking to see what I missed.

I can confirm this too; can't remember where i heard/read it though. But i understand your concern. Been playing DoC too and i know what a major issue this was

w00dy101
07-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Having played various digital CCG/TCGs over the years Duel of Champions is the exception not the rule. I was extremely put off when I found that placing a card into a deck effectively tied up that card. It's digital! I would expect Hex to work like every other digital card game I have played -- and it sounds like that is the case.