PDA

View Full Version : What's The Deal With Sleeves? (Read This in Seinfeld Voice for Full Effect)

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Personally, I couldn't care less about card sleeves. I guess they add a level of customization to you deck so it doesn't look exactly like everybody else's, but at the end of the day they are pretty worthless so I personally don't care that they're giving these away like candy on Halloween.

If anything, I hope I never get sleeves in a Treasure Chest.

Your turn...

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Well sleeves serve as vanity items; you either like them or not. And since they don't affect gameplay at all, it's just a matter of personal customisation. There will be people willing to go at Cons to have everything, but i am not one of them. As for opening them in boosters, i don't see why this will annoy me. They will be in a sense totally free, since i won't be opening boosters for them, and who knows, maybe they will up the demand of certain boosters, if there will be people going after the treasure chests that include them.

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Well sleeves serve as vanity items; you either like them or not. And since they don't affect gameplay at all, it's just a matter of personal customisation. There will be people willing to go at Cons to have everything, but i am not one of them. As for opening them in boosters, i don't see why this will annoy me. They will be in a sense totally free, since i won't be opening boosters for them, and who knows, maybe they will up the demand of certain boosters, if there will be people going after the treasure chests that include them.

I'm not saying I'm annoyed by getting them, I'm just saying I'd prefer to get a merc or almost anything else. I think I need someone who is really into collecting sleeves to reply to this.

I personally just don't understand the allure in a iTCG.

Banquetto
07-13-2013, 06:36 AM
I don't even know what a sleeve is.

hex_colin
07-13-2013, 06:42 AM

You generally find them on articles of clothing for your upper body. They cover either your upper arm or your whole arm. They provide some combination of comfort, warmth, and/or protection. ;)

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 06:46 AM

Can't tell is serious...

Lafoote
07-13-2013, 07:50 AM
If they drop a sleeve with art from your favorite card, you might decide otherwise. I won't be after reams of sleeves, but if they commission Olivia de Barardinis to make some sleeves, I'll be sure to get those at all cost.

Gwaer
07-13-2013, 07:59 AM
I can definitely see this being a common sentiment of players who aren't familiar with TCG's in general. Which is why I'm concerned about sleeves being a player draw kind of thing. I think Mercs definitely overshadow sleeves in that capacity. That said. I'd love some cool art sleeves.

HyenaNipples
07-13-2013, 08:20 AM
What's the deal with card sleeves?

Do my cards have arms? Would they wear different things in hot weather? If calling them sleeves is fine, why can't we just call them pants? Yeah, I just got these great pants from GenCon. Yeah, Cory walked right over and said, "Don't have any pants? Want pants? Here, have some pants! Why doesn't anyone have any pants!?"

(Laugh Track)

Bow da bow da dee bow!

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 08:42 AM
I can definitely see this being a common sentiment of players who aren't familiar with TCG's in general. Which is why I'm concerned about sleeves being a player draw kind of thing. I think Mercs definitely overshadow sleeves in that capacity. That said. I'd love some cool art sleeves.

Sleeves server a purpose in a real TCG, not so much in a digital TCG. Mercs are def. a better reward option. I think we can all agree there.

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 08:44 AM
What's the deal with card sleeves?

Do my cards have arms? Would they wear different things in hot weather? If calling them sleeves is fine, why can't we just call them pants? Yeah, I just got these great pants from GenCon. Yeah, Cory walked right over and said, "Don't have any pants? Want pants? Here, have some pants! Why doesn't anyone have any pants!?"

(Laugh Track)

Bow da bow da dee bow!

Well played sir, well played.

Xintia
07-13-2013, 08:49 AM
No Sleeves for you! #soupnazi

ZeroCool
07-13-2013, 09:35 AM
No Sleeves for you! #soupnazi

:cool:

ossuary
07-13-2013, 09:43 AM
{Tick Voice} SLEEEEEEEVES!! {/Tick Voice}

ossuary
07-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Well played sir, well played.

So that would be, what, a vest? I dunno, somehow "deck vest" sounds dirty.

Patrigan
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
So that would be, what, a vest? I dunno, somehow "deck vest" sounds dirty.

and a "deck sleeve" doesn't? :p I'd say that's worse xD

Helbendt
07-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Aaaaand it's time to STOP that train of thought before it rolls into NSFW Station.

Kami
07-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Aaaaand it's time to STOP that train of thought before it rolls into NSFW Station.

I wonder if we can get custom NSFW sleeves through the KS rewards... *lol*

Xintia
07-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I wonder if we can get custom NSFW sleeves through the KS rewards... *lol*

Nah, then all the tablet jockeys playing HEX on their iPads in the office would be in trouble. ;)

Banquetto
07-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Can't tell is serious...

Actually I was. I have no idea what a sleeve is. I know they're some cosmetic thing, but that's about it. From watching the Hex gameplay videos, I'm none the wiser, I couldn't see anything on there that looked like a cosmetic card holder or cover.

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Actually I was. I have no idea what a sleeve is. I know they're some cosmetic thing, but that's about it. From watching the Hex gameplay videos, I'm none the wiser, I couldn't see anything on there that looked like a cosmetic card holder or cover.

Well imagine the pile they are drawing cards from with the back of the chosen sleeve on top ;)

Banquetto
07-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Well imagine the pile they are drawing cards from with the back of the chosen sleeve on top ;)

Oh, so it's a selectable design for the back of the card?

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh, so it's a selectable design for the back of the card?

That's how i understood it, yes

HyenaNipples
07-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Card sleeves are simple plastic covers for cards. They have one opening, and the playing card goes inside with the hope that the sleeve will protect it during play. This helps prevent damage to your collectibles while you play with them.

Generally, these sleeves are transparent on the front, and plain-colored, opaque on the backside. But some of the more fancier varieties have pictures and designs on them. Some of the more creative players with a lot of free time would customize their sleeves- so they grew to be a great way to express yourself as a player, and more importantly in a small room filled with people and thousands of TCG cards, make it easily recognizable which cards are yours.

So this mainstay of the card-shop experience is being translated into the digital realm by Hex TCG as a sort of harmless cosmetic bonus.