PDA

View Full Version : Cory answered the Gen Con/event booster pack question.

Zarien
07-13-2013, 01:28 PM
So we all saw cory's announcement here http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/ about getting exclusives/cosmetics from treasure chests out of booster packs during gen con and other events. Cory clarified about that in his live interview with Knights of The Round.

Cory said that when we open booster packs DURING the event, the treasure chest will be timestamped to during that time, and its loot will be modified so that the event exclusives have a chance to be rewarded from that treasure chest.

So what does that mean? This means we can save our booster packs/ Primal packs until the event happens, open our booster packs during the event, get a treasure chest. And then we can either open that treasure chest right away for the chance at the exclusives. OR we can save that treasure chest, and open it at a later date since the treasure chest is permanently altered to include the loot from that event. It won't matter when we open the treasure chest, as long as we opened the booster pack the treasure chest was in, during the event.

Stok3d
07-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Additionally, he hinted that "This is how were are going to do other promotions like Christmas". Expect some seasonal promos with goodies :)

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeap awesome news indeed, to have an official confirmation and clarification :)

GreyWorm
07-13-2013, 01:36 PM
when you open the booster.
there are a lot of threds about this...

Zarien
07-13-2013, 01:46 PM
when you open the booster.
there are a lot of threds about this...

No, there was a lot of speculation in the thread started by you http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26278 on if you could save boosters to open, or if you had to purchase during the event, and the thread wasn't updated with cory's answer. So I created one giving a more visible answer.

Gorgol
07-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Looks like I'll keep an eye out for cheaper packs on the AH to hoard for events. I'm glad its been officially clarified though.

GreyWorm
07-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Well, and this will be another thread with the same speculation...
But I think that it is pretty clear that it is when you open the boostrs...
like cory said: " when we open booster packs DURING the event"

Zarien
07-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, and this will be another thread with the same speculation...
But I think that it is pretty clear that it is when you open the boostrs...
like cory said: " when we open booster packs DURING the event"

No, no speculation now. Cory physically answered the question during the live interview. The speculation wasn't if we get the treasure chest during the event, but whether or not we had to purchase booster packs from CZE during the event and open them, or if we could just save our own booster packs until the event occurred.

This thread informs the others about the clarification. I'm not sure you read my "So what does that mean?" portion if that didn't get through to you.

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Looks like I'll keep an eye out for cheaper packs on the AH to hoard for events. I'm glad its been officially clarified though.

Better keep an eye for cheap primal packs i would say, if such a thing will ever exist ;)

Gorgol
07-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Better keep an eye for cheap primal packs i would say, if such a thing will ever exist ;)
Believe my I will have my own personal price points for most things like that and when it dips into my range I will pick them up =)

Agent-Smashing
07-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Here's the link to the interview for you guys, please follow if you enjoyed the show!

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow

GreyWorm
07-13-2013, 02:18 PM
No, no speculation now. Cory physically answered the question during the live interview. The speculation wasn't if we get the treasure chest during the event, but whether or not we had to purchase booster packs from CZE during the event and open them, or if we could just save our own booster packs until the event occurred.

This thread informs the others about the clarification. I'm not sure you read my "So what does that mean?" portion if that didn't get through to you.

you are a little angry fella...
I probebly miss understod you, I was kinda sure that the hex artical clarifyed that, and havn't thought this to even be a speculation

hammer
07-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks smashing. It was a good interview appreciate the effort.

Shadowelf
07-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Here's the link to the interview for you guys, please follow if you enjoyed the show!

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow

Thanks for the show guys. Good selection of questions too :)

Will you be streaming kyle's bear fight too once that happens ? ;)

Agent-Smashing
07-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the show guys. Good selection of questions too :)

Will you be streaming kyle's bear fight too once that happens ? ;)

You know it.

Zarien
07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
you are a little angry fella...
I probebly miss understod you, I was kinda sure that the hex artical clarifyed that, and havn't thought this to even be a speculation

Not angry "fella". But I do tire of people not reading before posting. Especially since the speculation I spoke of...was in the thread you started. Figured this would be a given.

Banquetto
07-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Even though I was one of the people who was speculating because I found the first article unclear, I changed my tune and agreed that it was in fact clear, once some helpful people pointed out a few separate sentences that needed to be taken together.

Having said that, it's always nice to get a clear and unequivocal confirmation, so thanks for pointing this out!

Barkam
07-14-2013, 01:02 AM
I appreciate this thread. Glad to see hard confirmation.

sayuu
07-14-2013, 02:51 AM

Wait, where was it said that the Primal packs drop primal chests exclusively?

Unless I missed something I thought that Pack "rarity" had nothing to do with what chest you got simply because there are only 2 tiers of packs (regular and primal) but 5 levels of rarity for chests.

Gwaer
07-14-2013, 10:44 AM
This is exactly what the article said, I'm glad he said it in a different way so everyone could get on the same page about it. Still pretty sure that's going to drive people to hoard packs until an event. Which really just doesn't seem ideal. I suppose I'll live though... It will at least drive up pack sales greatly during events. I just hope there aren't too many events now. If I have to buy tons of packs at every single one. Ugh. I just don't like it.

ossuary
07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Wait, where was it said that the Primal packs drop primal chests exclusively?

Unless I missed something I thought that Pack "rarity" had nothing to do with what chest you got simply because there are only 2 tiers of packs (regular and primal) but 5 levels of rarity for chests.

Well when Cory was originally talking about the treasure chests, he said that primal packs would come with a "legendary" chest inside in addition to being all rare/legendary cards to begin with. The article from this week went into a lot more details about how many items would be in each type of chest (and presumably since some of the rarities have the same number of items, the rarer ones will drop either entirely better things, or just have a higher chance of doing so).

Shadowelf
07-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Update #5

Primal Packs are "god packs" that will drop for lucky players when buying HEX booster packs. It is not a separate item in the HEX Store. Every card in this booster is a Rare or Legendary! In addition, each Primal Pack will contain a Legendary Treasure Chest that will hold some truly incredible items, which you can open or trade in the Auction House.

Kietay
07-14-2013, 06:16 PM
So remember! Save your special primal boosters... If you can.

sayuu
07-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Well when Cory was originally talking about the treasure chests, he said that primal packs would come with a "legendary" chest inside in addition to being all rare/legendary cards to begin with. The article from this week went into a lot more details about how many items would be in each type of chest (and presumably since some of the rarities have the same number of items, the rarer ones will drop either entirely better things, or just have a higher chance of doing so).

Update #5

Primal Packs are "god packs" that will drop for lucky players when buying HEX booster packs. It is not a separate item in the HEX Store. Every card in this booster is a Rare or Legendary! In addition, each Primal Pack will contain a Legendary Treasure Chest that will hold some truly incredible items, which you can open or trade in the Auction House.

Looks like I did miss that, thanks for the info.

Guess I'm keeping my primals now till event time

Thallium45
07-14-2013, 07:26 PM
so in the case of this gen con, where we wont be able to open boosters?

ossuary
07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Maybe go read the article on hextcg.com that's about this exact topic.

If you'd read it, you'd already know the answer to that. :)

Avedecus
07-14-2013, 07:56 PM
I think the primal chests are being completely overblown in importance here. The latest info we have on chests simply states that the higher the rarity, the more cards it drops.

LordGorchnik
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Isn't this kind of backwards though? I mean when Primals and boosters are acquired, people are ONLY going to open them during events and seasonal months. I mean if that's what everyone wants to do then more power to them, it just seems like CZE will not be getting a lot of business during the other months/times of the year. Maybe I'm overlooking sometime. It seems like this is a good idea but I don't know why it's not registering with me.

ossuary
07-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I highly doubt the whole game will shut down for months at a time while nobody buys any packs in between events. That's hyperbole. People are just being dramatically over the top. Sure, a few people might hoard a bunch of packs to try to get some extra rewards during a live event, but they will still BUY those packs. And if they want to draft or compete in tournaments, they'll have to buy (or have in hand) more packs then, too.

I think it's silly to contemplate buying 50 packs and just sitting on them for months, in the hopes of getting a single mercenary, instead of just using them / opening them as normal. And if a ton of people DO do this, then the price of the timestamped treasure chests will fall pretty far on the AH, and us "normies" can just pick them up there on the cheap. ;)