PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Saturday's Interview?

ZeroCool
07-15-2013, 07:27 AM
What're your thoughts on the interview Cory on Saturday?

Both good and...not so good.

I personally don't mind the alpha starting in September, the longer it takes to launch, the less likely there will be too many issues and the more polished it'll look.

As for playing in shops, it's not for me. I haven't been to shop in years, and I'm 27 now and don't expect to be frequenting them now. Neat concept I suppose though, I could see it getting abused.

Funny how Cory acknowledged the high level of trolling around here. It is rather amusing.

hammer
07-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Nothing but good things to say on the interview. Cory was engaging and demonstrated that he listens to the community and after responding is ready to listen again. He gave a big shout out to the community / forums and acknowledge the wealth of knowledge and healthy dialogue. As you say he did acknowledge the growing level of trolling and this appeared to be something that aggravated him - after all this is the shop window for new players coming into hex and it would be a turn-off perhaps to see post after post of trolling and whinging. I am excited to hear about the engagement of a professor of economics to forecast the early hex economy and interplay. I am excited to hear about the vast quantity of PvE content. I am not worried in the slightest about the September start, and agree I would rather wait till the product is ready to be tested and enjoyed. The only slight disappointment is that we didn't see Cory on the interview it was just his audio, Cory displays such visual enthusiasm for hex that I love watching him talk about his passion. There was some interesting comments about engaging with the female gaming community and expanding the pool of people that the game can appeal too and a nod to the competitive nature of the female gamer. Cory has given us so much respect so far in terms of listening and I think it is time we start to reciprocate in relation to his comments on trolling.

ZeroCool
07-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Nothing but good things to say on the interview. Cory was engaging and demonstrated that he listens to the community and after responding is ready to listen again. He gave a big shout out to the community / forums and acknowledge the wealth of knowledge and healthy dialogue. As you say he did acknowledge the growing level of trolling and this appeared to be something that aggravated him - after all this is the shop window for new players coming into hex and it would be a turn-off perhaps to see post after post of trolling and whinging. I am excited to hear about the engagement of a professor of economics to forecast the early hex economy and interplay. I am excited to hear about the vast quantity of PvE content. I am not worried in the slightest about the September start, and agree I would rather wait till the product is ready to be tested and enjoyed. The only slight disappointment is that we didn't see Cory on the interview it was just his audio, Cory displays such visual enthusiasm for hex that I love watching him talk about his passion. There was some interesting comments about engaging with the female gaming community and expanding the pool of people that the game can appeal too and a nod to the competitive nature of the female gamer. Cory has given us so much respect so far in terms of listening and I think it is time we start to reciprocate in relation to his comments on trolling.

The problem with trolling is that some people mistake common sense for trolling. People post a lot of dumb things on here, and I'm sure we can all agree about that. Then people reply with a logical answer/explanation of something and I sometimes see how that could be considered trolling.

People need to do their homework, and other's need to take it easy on those who don't know enough and instead of beating them down, educate them. There are several ego's around here, a bit too much entitlement and just some people feeling they're a bit better than others because they've been playing Magic for 20 years, been analyzing every single card and doing mock drafts.

We all just need to step back and enjoy what we have, and what we're going to have. This could truly be a gift if we don't shit on it, or on each other before the game is even out.

HyenaNipples
07-15-2013, 08:05 AM
I was more on the disappointed side, as I thought the interview missed an opportunity to gain new information. It was mostly another PR spin, and you could hear Cory give answers he has given so often that they are memorized. This isn't Cory's fault- he's just getting similar questions over and over.

This rehash is inevitable, I suppose, as KnightsoftheRound is not a Hex interview but a general gaming trio- and their audience would potentially have lots of people just now hearing about Hex for the first time. The effort to gain questions from the community was well-intentioned, except most of the questions gleaned from that dubious mass were for rather petty forum controversies that a handful of stubborn people wouldn't let die- meanwhile, the many excellent questions which delved new ground were not selected.

And I'm a bit critical of an interview that spotlights the interviewers- I feel like the interviewee should be the star of the show at that point and the interviewers the facilitators of the event. Watching people read chat and draw random pictures on chalkboards while their guest is in the middle of answering one of their questions passes off as disinterested and rude.

ZeroCool
07-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I was more on the disappointed side, as I thought the interview missed an opportunity to gain new information. It was mostly another PR spin, and you could hear Cory give answers he has given so often that they are memorized. This isn't Cory's fault- he's just getting similar questions over and over.

This rehash is inevitable, I suppose, as KnightsoftheRound is not a Hex interview but a general gaming trio- and their audience would potentially have lots of people just now hearing about Hex for the first time. The effort to gain questions from the community was well-intentioned, except most of the questions gleaned from that dubious mass were for rather petty forum controversies that a handful of stubborn people wouldn't let die- meanwhile, the many excellent questions which delved new ground were not selected.

And I'm a bit critical of an interview that spotlights the interviewers- I feel like the interviewee should be the star of the show at that point and the interviewers the facilitators of the event. Watching people read chat and draw random pictures on chalkboards while their guest is in the middle of answering one of their questions passes off as disinterested and rude.

I agree. I wasn't too found of the KOTR themselves. Up until this interview, I had never heard of them. I understand them asking the questions they asked for more broad crowd, but it offered little insight for the people already familiar with HEX. I kind of went into the interviewing knowing this though, just from the thread one of the KOTR posted. They didn't ask too many of the "nitty gritty" questions, but I'm not even sure Cory is ready to answer a lot of those yet.

I've interviewed several bands/artists/writers and I know I have to bit a bit open with my questions or else only the die hard fans are interested which isn't always the purpose of doing the interview.

It was a little off balance, but overall I liked the part Cory took, and still not too interested in KOTR, or viewing any of their other "works". At the end of they day, they're just kids and professionalism isn't really their thing.

Soaren
07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
The disappointing part of this interview is that the Alpha release is "September". The PVP aspects of the game appear to be finished as they are running a tournament at Gen Con. If this piece of the game is ready for a convention tournament it is ready for an alpha release. Giving the KS community a chance to really hammer the PVP aspects of the game with testing would be a huge boon for CZE to really see how their design functions in real world. I am sure their R&D department is well skilled but nothing prepares you for a real world test like 15-17 thousand players playing your game. If the PVE side is not ready for us then keeps that side locked out. I know some of this is just me really wanting to play the game but I have been involved in quite a few video game releases and I know the earlier you get a large group of people playing your game the better.

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
'If the game is ready for a room of dedicated machines and a local server to run it for 32 people. It's ready for 10,000 people to play over the Internet'

Is that your official position before I begin?

Icepick
07-15-2013, 09:57 AM
I think the interview was fine, it was exactly what I expected from people who aren't already entrenched in the Hex community, especially when their viewers are from a more general gamer community. There was some interesting bits in there, and it's always good hearing Cory talk about the game because he's so good at doing just that.
My only problem with it was that all 3 of them clearly knew very little about TCGs in general, and didn't really seem to know how to respond to much of what he was saying. But again, that wasn't really unexpected.

ramseytheory
07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
The disappointing part of this interview is that the Alpha release is "September". The PVP aspects of the game appear to be finished as they are running a tournament at Gen Con. If this piece of the game is ready for a convention tournament it is ready for an alpha release. Giving the KS community a chance to really hammer the PVP aspects of the game with testing would be a huge boon for CZE to really see how their design functions in real world. I am sure their R&D department is well skilled but nothing prepares you for a real world test like 15-17 thousand players playing your game. If the PVE side is not ready for us then keeps that side locked out. I know some of this is just me really wanting to play the game but I have been involved in quite a few video game releases and I know the earlier you get a large group of people playing your game the better.

The version at GenCon might well not be the full game. If they allow full-on constructed or draft play, people who've never seen Hex before will be paralysed - which isn't ideal considering they want to spread the word to as many people as possible. I think they'll probably be using very tightly tested pre-built decks.

Also, like Gwaer said, there's a huge difference between small-scale LAN play and 10,000 people hammering the servers at once at alpha launch.

hammer
07-15-2013, 10:06 AM
'If the game is ready for a room of dedicated machines and a local server to run it for 32 people. It's ready for 10,000 people to play over the Internet'

Is that your official position before I begin?

<3 great post

nearlysober
07-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Launching "when it's ready" is absolutely the right move regarding long term success of this game.

Of course I want to play it now, like everyone else here. But if they have a negative & buggy launch... the game will be, at the very least, set back massively in terms of gaining new players. If we want more than the Kickstarters to play this game (and we do) then they gotta do it right.

They're still looking for a senior software engineer. I believe they're looking to ramp up the user interface for PC & tablet... and that person hasn't even started yet.

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Cory answered what he was asked well. Those doing the interview did a good job.

One thing I'd like to mention is that I enjoy looking at Cory during the interviews. He also seems to be a lot more energetic and upbeat while he's on the spot with video. I didn't feel the energy while he was in his slippers at his home like I'm accustomed to.

They're still looking for a senior software engineer. I believe they're looking to ramp up the user interface for PC & tablet... and that person hasn't even started yet.

CZE has 2x open job reqs atm. http://www.cryptozoic.com/career-opportunities

I'm very excited to see that this KS money is being used to add more ppl to the teams to help get us a better product quicker.

hammer
07-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Cory answered what he was asked well. Those doing the interview did a good job.

One thing I'd like to mention is that I enjoy looking at Cory during the interviews. He also seems to be a lot more energetic and upbeat while he's on the spot with video. I didn't feel the energy while he was in his slippers at his home like I'm accustomed to.

Totally Agr33 with you stok3d. It would have been nice to see Cory and watch his passion for the game erupt from him.

nearlysober
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
It would have been nice to see Cory and watch his passion for the game erupt from him.
Hey hey now, this is a family program.

Aradon
07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
I love the confirmation that the elves have a Shakespearean influence. Prospero creating Tempests was pretty clever, and I didn't catch it for weeks :D
Rest of the interview was great. I love the idea that CZE would make the game as they see fit, even if it makes people angry, but they don't seem to be holding to that stance. Also love that they pull ideas from the forums. I was always sad that WotC couldn't pull card ideas from their community, since they make some brilliant designs. I've seen some really neat ideas on here, and his example of getting an OP boss deck for your keep was sweet.
Lots of other great stuff on the interview, thanks to Knights of the Round for holding a good interview, and thanks to Cory for giving us a great interview. The way he addresses the questions and concerns directly is so refreshing, compared to how most interviewees avoid tough questions or default to generic statements.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I want to know more about the lack of being able to use platinum in the AH. Or was that just another Coryism and he forgot to include it in his "Platinum is only used for" response?

ZeroCool
07-15-2013, 01:31 PM
I love the confirmation that the elves have a Shakespearean influence. Prospero creating Tempests was pretty clever, and I didn't catch it for weeks :D
Rest of the interview was great. I love the idea that CZE would make the game as they see fit, even if it makes people angry, but they don't seem to be holding to that stance. Also love that they pull ideas from the forums. I was always sad that WotC couldn't pull card ideas from their community, since they make some brilliant designs. I've seen some really neat ideas on here, and his example of getting an OP boss deck for your keep was sweet.
Lots of other great stuff on the interview, thanks to Knights of the Round for holding a good interview, and thanks to Cory for giving us a great interview. The way he addresses the questions and concerns directly is so refreshing, compared to how most interviewees avoid tough questions or default to generic statements.

The questions asked weren't really questions he hasn't been asked a million times before so the answers for a lack of a better word are rehearsed. I like Cory's enthusiasm answering the questions though.

I want to know more about the lack of being able to use platinum in the AH. Or was that just another Coryism and he forgot to include it in his "Platinum is only used for" response?

I would love to be able to use platinum as a currency, but it looks like we're using only gold in the marketplace for what it's worth. Be interesting to see how you earn gold and how much gold you earn doing the tasks.

hammer
07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
The questions asked weren't really questions he hasn't been asked a million times before so the answers for a lack of a better word are rehearsed. I like Cory's enthusiasm answering the questions though.

I would love to be able to use platinum as a currency, but it looks like we're using only gold in the marketplace for what it's worth. Be interesting to see how you earn gold and how much gold you earn doing the tasks.

I think it was implied that the prof of economics is looking into this

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Which begs the question, will platinum then be tradeable? All signs speak to no because at that point people would just keep their cards and trade them individually for platinum and a third party system would be set up for ease of making this happen and a lot less people will be using their precious AH.

I think it was implied that the prof of economics is looking into this
Ah, makes sense I suppose.

hammer
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Which begs the question, will platinum then be tradeable? All signs speak to no because at that point people would just keep their cards and trade them individually for platinum and a third party system would be set up for ease of making this happen and a lot less people will be using their precious AH.

Ah, makes sense I suppose.

ERM is this really viable to have gold the auction house currency and platinum untradeable. Seems like there would not be any benefit to acquiring gold for cards as there would be no outlet or sink to keep the value of gold meaningful?

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
They've always claimed in the past that the AH will accept plat and gold. I suppose this could have been backing off of that, or it could have just been that it didn't occur to him to put it on the list.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
They've always claimed in the past that the AH will accept plat and gold. I suppose this could have been backing off of that, or it could have just been that it didn't occur to him to put it on the list.
If they make it not possible in-game to acquire draft/tournament fees/booster money to be acquired from selling of cards/boosters then this game will suffer greatly. But at least we do have gold confirmed, so we can 100% get cards/boosters that people AH for farmed currency.

Badger
07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I thought Cory was great. Sure we couldn't see him and he had to rehash a lot of the same stuff but that's hardly his fault.
Basically every time he was asked a question that could have gone one of several ways he answered it exactly how I was hoping he would answer it.
The more I hear him talk about it the more convinced I am that they have this under control and that the speculative posts on here suggesting features for a game that hasn't even come out yet just need to stop appearing.
Please oh please, no more threads about interface requirements and such.

Also, some common sense may appear to some as trolling, but I think Cory knows trolling when he sees it and we all know what he was referring to.

These forums have actually bed pretty toxic recently. Cory mentioned the 99% of people who are genuinely posting positively on this forum. I think it's probably closer to 75%.

Bring on this game... When it's ready! Yay!

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, technically, we have both confirmed. I'd say that before we start panicing we wait for them to say "oops" on the plat auction house, rather than not including it on an off the cuff list.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, technically, we have both confirmed. I'd say that before we start panicing we wait for them to say "oops" on the plat auction house, rather than not including it on an off the cuff list.
True. I'm sure we'll know before we get to dive in or at the very least by the point we dive in. Thanks for keeping me from freaking out too much :p

ramseytheory
07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
The auction house image on the main Kickstarter page shows both gold and platinum, so I think we can assume Cory just forgot to mention it unless we hear more.

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
If they make it not possible in-game to acquire draft/tournament fees/booster money to be acquired from selling of cards/boosters then this game will suffer greatly. But at least we do have gold confirmed, so we can 100% get cards/boosters that people AH for farmed currency.

I never picked up on this in the interview. I was understanding the intervention of a college Economics Professor as simply devising a way to find some proper gold Sinks. If they attempt to use Gold as the currency for BOTH pvp and pve, then they will have made a grave mistake. To do this, then platinum would need to be untradable and this is ludicrous. I really don't think CZE would make an error to this magnitude. Before getting worked up over nothing, I need to relisten to the inteview.

If this is indeed a direction you are considering, provide me his .ppts and excel programs and I will complete my own independent post processing analysis. Yes, this will include my review and I will solicit feedback from some doctorate level mathematicians. Remember this: "All models are wrong. Some models are useful".

Merging currency with the F2P aspect of this game will do anything but secure a prosperous future for PVP card value...

The auction house image on the main Kickstarter page shows both gold and platinum, so I think we can assume Cory just forgot to mention it unless we hear more.

This is the only thing that makes sense with the situation.

hammer
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Good catch. I can sleep now ;-)

Yubar
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I love/hate the fact their using a econ professor to take a look at ingame economics. It shows how serious they are about having a deep and complex in game economy. Professor tend to forget about market inefficiencies including lack of knowledge and irrational excitement/fear though...

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 02:25 PM
I love/hate the fact their using a econ professor to take a look at ingame economics. It shows how serious they are about having a deep and complex in game economy. Professor tend to forget about market inefficiencies including lack of knowledge and irrational excitement/fear though...

I attempted to use real work economics in WoW. Although I made over 10million gold in the last 18months all legit, I learned some very important lessons. Throw a great deal of those economics out the door. I believe this game will also harbor some similar trends to that of WoW. The one thing I need to make sure everyone understands is that the quantity for items still available from in store packs and still farmable from dungeons are not finite. Remember that before you attempt to hoard various items and you may make better decisions.

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Just fyi, one of the questions I asked during the kickstarter directly to CZE was if they had an economist on the project, and they said they had been working with someone, so this isn't a new development, they've had this going on for at least many months. Hopefully since the game systems were being designed, but I'd be very surprised if a big change like this were made this late in the game.

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Professor Gold/Platinum Model 55:22 (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874) - Basically the question was if CZE will sell gold in addition to platinum.

Hired Professor of Economics who is Familar With TCGs
Not decided if Gold will be sold for platinum for safety value for inflation--no decision made
He's building Models
"In game platinum hard currency is called platinum. All you can use platinum for is to buy packs and starter decks and it was what you use for tournament entry fees." (57:10)

Re-listening to this, I believe Cory just forgot about mentioning the AH. Would be nice if Cory just hopped in here and just nipped this in the butt before ppl freak out.

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Also, he is talking about using plat to buy from CZE, using it on the AH wouldn't really apply to the thought he is completing.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Professor Gold/Platinum Model 55:22 (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874) - Basically the question was if CZE will sell gold in addition to platinum.

Hired Professor of Economics who is Familar With TCGs
Not decided if Gold will be sold for platinum for safety value for inflation--no decision made
He's building Models
"In game platinum hard currency is called platinum. All you can use platinum for is to buy packs and starter decks and it was what you use for tournament entry fees." (57:10)

Re-listening to this, I believe Cory just forgot about mentioning the AH. Would be nice if Cory just hopped in here and just nipped this in the butt before ppl freak out.
Yeah, if its just another slip up forgetting to mention the AH, then it needs to be cleared up ASAP. In theory though you could buy a card for platinum and then sell it for gold, thus facilitating the exchange of platinum to gold. The same could be done in reverse as well. This isn't directly them selling gold for platinum, but its fairly close. Or am I completely off base?

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Also, he is talking about using plat to buy from CZE, using it on the AH wouldn't really apply to the thought he is completing.

Not following your train of thought.

Gwaer
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah, if its just another slip up forgetting to mention the AH, then it needs to be cleared up ASAP.
...I feel like we're taking a step backwards. It shouldn't be a requirement of anytime CZE speaks to list every single aspect of every single thing that's staying the same. No news is good news as they say. They'll let us know about fundamental changes like this, so we can all abandon ship in an orderly fashion.

Stok3d
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
...I feel like we're taking a step backwards. It shouldn't be a requirement of anytime CZE speaks to list every single aspect of every single thing that's staying the same. No news is good news as they say. They'll let us know about fundamental changes like this, so we can all abandon ship in an orderly fashion.

Well stated. He'd almost need queue card then if it was anything else.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Fair enough

Sanik
07-15-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm not Cory, but I can confirm that Platinum is absolutely still on the table as a currency for the Auction House. Source: I just walked into the other room and asked them.

To expand on this, I think that the quote just got pulled out of context. Cory is specifically discussing items that can be purchased from us with Platinum. The AH is obviously a slightly different beast.

Gorgol
07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm not Cory, but I can confirm that Platinum is absolutely still on the table as a currency for the Auction House. Source: I just walked into the other room and asked them.
Sanik, always the savior of days!

ossuary
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM

To expand on this, I think that the quote just got pulled out of context. Cory is specifically discussing items that can be purchased from us with Platinum. The AH is obviously a slightly different beast.

Now that's a source you can trust! :)

Shadowelf
07-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Well this pretty much sums it up. Thanks :)

Edit; In addition lots of people would like to walk into that room and ask...care to sell tickets ?

hammer
07-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Yo sanik walk back into that room matey and ask if equipment will become account bound on equip?
Then come back and wait for the next 100 questions ;)

ZeroCool
07-16-2013, 05:35 AM

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

ramseytheory
07-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah, if its just another slip up forgetting to mention the AH, then it needs to be cleared up ASAP. In theory though you could buy a card for platinum and then sell it for gold, thus facilitating the exchange of platinum to gold. The same could be done in reverse as well. This isn't directly them selling gold for platinum, but its fairly close. Or am I completely off base?

The difference is that buying gold for platinum from CZE removes platinum from the economy and adds gold to the economy, while using the AH to buy cards for platinum and sell them for gold doesn't. Selling gold directly would result in significantly increased gold inflation unless they build in even more gold sinks as a balance, which is probably why they don't seem to be doing it. (They're basically equivalent from the point of view of the guy doing the conversion, though.)