PDA

View Full Version : Hexonomics 3: Platinum and the Auction House

Mokog
07-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Howdy Hexers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I2Mey4AMII

Today we take a look at platinum and the auction house. We will skim the surface of this potentially deep well and start getting some strategies in mind for maximizing our value!

~Mokog

Bovisrex
07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
So, there's an underlying assumption to the video that I have issue with. In the store money spectrum we have have two ends, I'll call them poker chips and Riot points. Poker chips are an as close to real money equivalent as we can get. There is one and only one price for poker chips, and you can sell or buy them at this price. On the other end is Riot points, a funny money only useful to buy items from Riot and can never be sold back for real money. You assume CZE will be going to the Riot points end of the spectrum. Given the stated desire for an eventual real money auction house and the idea of the collectible card game, that Hex will end up closer to poker chips, much like MTGO.
The reason for this is, if you have bulk discounts and a real money auction house where Plat can be bought, then the price of plat will never go higher than the bulk rate, and the lower rate is pointless and CZE is just costing themselves money by offering the bulk discount. The poker chip model makes more sense. This would mean no bulk purchase discounts, no sales, just one exchange rate ever.

funktion
07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Right off the bat, I've gotta say I really hope it doesn't turn out the way you've outlined. It seems to me like you'd rather have platinum resemble funny money. Doing so drags the game down in the long run.

I hope we NEVER see discounts on platinum. Whatever the exchange rate (even if it's a one way exchange) it's important for it to remain unchanged. If they're going to have an incentive, I hope we see it in the form of added value whether it's promos for every $100 spent on plat or something similar.

There is no need or benefit to temporarily reducing the price of plat. Well there is one benefit that I can think of... if the game is tanking and they are trying to squeeze some more money out of it before the pull the plug, they could reduce the prices to get a temporary boost in sales. With that said, I can't think of one possible case where I would (personally) like to see them incentivize the sales of platinum through discounts / bulk rates.

At the end of the day, I think it's a little too early for this video, we don't have enough concrete details and I think you're making too many assumptions some of which are fairly dangerous to make.

As a final note, offering bulk rates or discounts on plat greatly diminishes the chances that we'll ever be able to cash out platinum (which they've said they want to add eventually) if the exchange rate is not stable, then the cash out option remains equally unstable.

Mokog
07-23-2013, 07:01 PM
So, there's an underlying assumption to the video that I have issue with. In the store money spectrum we have have two ends, I'll call them poker chips and Riot points. Poker chips are an as close to real money equivalent as we can get. There is one and only one price for poker chips, and you can sell or buy them at this price. On the other end is Riot points, a funny money only useful to buy items from Riot and can never be sold back for real money. You assume CZE will be going to the Riot points end of the spectrum. Given the stated desire for an eventual real money auction house and the idea of the collectible card game, that Hex will end up closer to poker chips, much like MTGO.
The reason for this is, if you have bulk discounts and a real money auction house where Plat can be bought, then the price of plat will never go higher than the bulk rate, and the lower rate is pointless and CZE is just costing themselves money by offering the bulk discount. The poker chip model makes more sense. This would mean no bulk purchase discounts, no sales, just one exchange rate ever.

Auctions and gaming materials is a very sticky situation. The current example of Blizzard's D3 RMAH is not stellar. If the company is super serious about implementing a cash out option then you are totally correct. They will not offer incentives on platinum purchase. What I find as immediate evidence against that are the free drafts being given out. This is another form of platinum give away. $7 worth per eligible player each draft + prizes. Until there is a cash out option everything is store credit and I assume that model.

If I am wrong I get the opportunity to make a new video!

Edit: To be honest I would make a new video update anyway. :D