PDA

View Full Version : Master Theorycrafting (PVE)

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Alrighty! Server-firsts and the like aren’t for me, so I don’t mind sharing this. The combo will let you put down a 7-cost bomb on turn 3 every game, assuming I didn’t muck anything up here. Personally, I’d prefer it if PVE isn’t a joke, so it suits me fine if Cryptozoic stomps out stuff like this early.

I should say that the combo does assume that you can put three resources down by turn three. With mulliganing and a fairly resource-flush deck, this shouldn’t be a problem. For a 100% guarantee, you could run a 54-resource deck, but that’s rather silly.

To cook up this game-breaking combo, you’ll need the following ingredients:

x1 lvl. 20 Burgamot Ebonrock (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Burgamot_Ebonrock)
x4 Master Theorycrafter, and his trinket, Pawn’s Trap (http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Master-Theorycrafter/107)
x1 7-cost bomb, to taste. I’ll go into my personal favorites for this later.

Instructions:
Start of game: Burgamot throws down his Reverse Engineering. Use Pawn’s Trap four times on the 7-cost bomb of your choice.
Turn 1: Play a resource. Also play a 1-cost troop. Or don’t. Turn one doesn’t really matter.
Turn 2: Play a resource, and use Reverse Engineering. Burgamot makes all your troops, in all zones, Artifact troops, so they’re all viable targets. Inscribe the previously 7-cost bomb.
Turn 3: Play a resource. Transform your inscribed Reverse Engineering for the low, low cost of three shards. Let simmer.

It should be noted that this combo is threshold-neutral. You can insert these five cards into any deck, so long as Burgamot is the merc. Ruby will be necessary if you ever want to actually play the Theorycrafters, though, and you might want your sources to match your bomb in case you draw it.

Now, as for what bomb is best for this scenario, there are a ton of options. My personal pick is Eurig the Robomancer (http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Eurig-the-Robomancer/73) with his Headgear. If you can throw down three other troops or artifacts - not too hard when you're spawning a War Bot every turn, and Burgamot's flinging Worker Bots - then suddenly, you have a 10/10 troop and everyone's Invincible. If you're worried about Murder or similar effects, or if you're not in any rush, you could delay his transformation until your troops are already in line.

Thoughts? I don’t have an abundance of experience with TCGs, so there might be a faulty component somewhere.

nicosharp
07-23-2013, 02:45 PM
That is a really cool interaction. Nice find. The trinket slot for Master Theorycrafter also allows it to fit into almost any combo deck with ebonrock, unfortunately except for the one I am running in PvE. I'd still make room for him, and contemplate dropping the other trinket benefit.

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Kudos, that's legit, and I did not notice the Pawn's Trap equipment which is, quite frankly, very powerful. Though technically it's not 100% guaranteed as you need to get 3 sources and not draw the cheap bomb in your first two turns, but it's a high enough chance that I'm happy with it being called a guarantee. ^^

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys! To be honest, I was mad worried that I missed something somewhere.

And if you draw the cheap bomb, then even better; you can play it normally!

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Of course! /facepalm In my defense it's 6am here. ^^

Barkam
07-23-2013, 03:18 PM
That's a very good deck. I agree that King Gabriel is the current best pick.

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Ah pooooop Barkam, you made me realize an error, though not in the combo. King Gabriel isn't entering play - he's transforming - so Boldheart won't spawn. Looks like Eurig's my favorite after all :P

Barkam
07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Ooooo. I think you might be right but don't give up hope that it won't work. We still don't have the final rule set. If you are right then the deck got really weak. :( the interaction is still really cool though. Keep at it. With this deck, you showed the creativity needed to design the ultimate pve deck. :)

nicosharp
07-23-2013, 04:01 PM
and you gave Barkam and myself another potential filler for our brew. It disables 1 important keyword, but enables more jankiness turn 2.

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
You're right, we don't have the exact ruleset yet. Thanks man. And even if we aren't happy with Eurig, there are still plenty of options. Jadiim also springs to mind - her equipment will cause insane ramping, and the potential for Invincibility in the near future.

Barkam
07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Jadiim would be better than Eurig. The hope would be to have an invincible Jadiim by turn 5. The nut draw would be two Jadiims by turn 4. :)

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Word. I think Eurig is more than worth it, but the more I think about Jadiim, the more enamored I am. Throw in some Eyes of Creation, Wild Root Dancers, and a few high-cost troops and you got a stew goin'. The other attractive thing about this combo is that it lets you ignore the 2- and 3-cost cards when you're constructing your curve, as turns 2 and 3 will always be spent summoning Jadiim.

Barkam
07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
What is eye of creation for if you arent running low cost cards?

You should include cards that will grant crush to Jadiim and away to remove bad enchantments on Jadiim like "Inner Conflict."

Aradon
07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Hah, nice. That is legit. I had dismissed Pawn's Trap for the time being because stacking them all on one card seemed worse than spreading it across the 4 copies, but pairing it with the exact card search is amazing :D
Proposing Wrenlocke as the ideal 0-mana freebie, also. I may have to try this out with a couple different options. Nice call on this guy, Hemlock!

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Eye of Creation is just there because Jadiim will be creating massive amounts of shards if she doesn't end the game outright, and I'll want somewhere to put them.

Wrenlocke could be a very powerful pick. Good call. Looking into a few more options, you could also get a turn 2 Vampire King or Zoltog - or, definitely giving Jadiim a run for her money, a turn 3 Transcended.

Aradon
07-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Honestly, being able to consistently tutor up a Wrenlocke every game makes my deck so much more consisent, it's a bit astounding. Needing just one Wrenlocke frees up 3 more spaces for the Master Theorycrafter, and I can cut out 3 copies of my kill spell, too, to make room for more filtering o.o

Edit: on the other hand, it makes the deck that much more vulnerable to kill spells. On the other other hand, the deck can go off at the drop of a hat, and waiting for the opponent to 'tap out' for a turn shouldn't be impossible.

Hemlock
07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Removal is a big problem for all of these. If you can wait until turn 4 or 5 to play Eurig, you can get around that, but that's the only way I currently see this combo not falling to a well-timed Murder. That's why I liked Gabe so much...

Plus, I imagine there's at least one unspoiled card that can bust up artifacts or constants. If it's low enough cost, it would be able to nip this in the Reverse Engineering stage.

LargoLaGrande
07-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Eurig is nice, but why not just use Master Theorycrafter himself as your kill? Socketed with the Speed gem, and using The Shragger you end up with 2 3/3s every turn, and even if he is killed right away you still get to dome for 2-3 and get your 2 warbots. The other three can have assorted gems that provide extra utility if you don't need the speed and it frees up a deck slot for something. This wincon is also the most resilient in the face of Inner Conflict effects (Eurig is too, just slower).

edit: Also, you just crushed my dreams. I thought Pawn's Trap only applied to your opening hand. I was going to make the most explosive RDW ever.