PDA

View Full Version : PLAY HEX TCG NOW!! - HALFMIND's HEX TCG PLUG-IN for LACKEYCCG

HyenaNipples
07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
EDIT:

Having recently learned that this plug-in is potentially harmful to Hex TCG, I have decided to remove the guide to its use from Hex Shuffle, as well as all related writings. Harming the game in any way is directly opposed to Hex Shuffle's entire purpose.

I'm sorry that the title of this thread is now misleading.

Armies
07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
1st, hehe great job on the guide now I can just direct people to that to get them to play!

Corpselocker
07-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Lackey takes a bit of getting used to and there are a few contentious cards (zombie plague and replicator's gambit), but I hope that you'll find it very rewarding. Can't say enough good things about Halfmind's work on this.

Armies
07-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Lackey takes a bit of getting used to and there are a few contentious cards (zombie plague and replicator's gambit), but I hope that you'll find it very rewarding. Can't say enough good things about Halfmind's work on this.
in the next version halfmind and I found out a way we can get replicator's gambit to function, but yes zombie plague is bleh to try to use.

PetyrBaelish
07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Is there a spectator mode? Would love to watch some epic games.

Armies
07-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Is there a spectator mode? Would love to watch some epic games.

yes just install it the way you normally would in the guide, and instead of joining a game click spectate game

umikami
07-24-2013, 08:07 PM
installing now, hope there are people online to play with.

Armies
07-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I am :)

Beastmaster
07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Sweet Guide, very easy to install. Had a bit of a spectate but will have to put together a deck and give it a proper go when I get home from Uni.

Corpselocker
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Sadly, fan site forum gets a fraction of the traffic that general forums do. Hopefully, the message will spread and by the weekend we will have a good surge of eager testers.

Prism
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Cockatrice would be better? More popular and better program

Armies
07-25-2013, 12:43 AM
never heard of it, and this one works fine. had a real blast playing 3 new people. taking a bit of a break be back later(8 hours for sleep!)

umikami
07-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Armies and i just played a few hours with another guy, 3 total^^ Did skype chat and was quite enjoyable. Hex is a fun game. So you can test your deck building skills and play with us!

umikami
07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
This is from the cockatrice website.

I have received a letter from a law firm representing Hasbro Germany, expressing a strong feeling of dislike for our project, backed up with legal claims. Regardless of whether the claims they are making are factually correct or not, I have agreed to shut down the project in its current form. As soon as this is completely sorted out, development work will be put into keeping alive the code base in such a way that it can be used for other purposes.

I deeply appreciate all the support from the community and hope to see all of you again soon. I will keep you posted if there are any news.

2013/02/27
Max-Wilhelm Bruker <brukie@gmx.net>

Hasbro's lawyers have stated that they regard the case as over assuming I stick to the declaration of cease and desist that I had signed before. According to their latest letter, there will be no further consequences. However, when I asked whether I could publicise their letters, there was no reply, and I assume there won't be any. Long story short, the main point of the declaration is: I may not copy, distribute or use for advertisement any copyrighted visual representation related to MTG. As you know, I've never done any of that myself (except for some screenshots in the downloads section), but as their exemplary screenshots show parts of the Cockatrice UI with MTG card pictures in it for the most part, what they mean is probably that I should not distribute this software any more. The immediate consequences are as follows:

I'm looking for someone else to take over this project and modify it to be a general purpose card playing program. Cockatrice was never meant to infringe any copyrights, and I'm certain it can be made that way. The code contains very few MTG-specific bits, and throwing away the whole code because of those bits is not the way to go. I will be happy to assist with development of a non-infringing software based of Cockatrice once a new project leader is found.
I had to pay attorney fees in the amount of € 911.80 (about $1200). As many of you have expressed a wish to help me in this regard, I've added the donate button again. Any donations are greatly appreciated.

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Cockatrice I believe is still being updated by third parties; at least to my knowledge people are still using it for MTG.

As for Lackey, kudos for the Hex update - I had been making my own custom set for MWS, but it's proving tricky to get it to cooperate with the new version. So it'll be nice to sponge off someone else's work for a bit, and more importantly, actually have people to test with. :-)

As for the modify-library/non-battlefield cards, personally with MWS, I made extra cards for decks I knew were running those. For example, with Replicator's Gambit decks, I'd make an extra troop for my deck, and write on the pic "Replicator's Gambit" so I knew if I drew that one, I'd be getting the 6 extra copies.

Icepick
07-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Sounds cool, but I'd rather just wait for the alpha to be honest. Programs like this always have quirks that I find incredibly annoying to deal with.

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
When are people usually on this? I think I've fiddled with the program enough to be able to play a game and not be stuck looking for features, but... no-one's online! :-P

HyenaNipples
07-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Evening by Pacific Standard Time was good for me yesterday.

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-25-2013, 07:27 AM
I'll try to be around then. :-)

Corpselocker
07-25-2013, 07:29 AM
We are just building up our base now with the public release. I suspect more folks to be on through the weekend.

Armies
07-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I am on right now Jax and will be for many many hours

jaxsonbatemanhex
07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Sweet! I'll just finish up some Fire Emblem, then hop on for a game or two if you're still around. :-3

Armies
07-25-2013, 11:01 AM
still around but finishing up a game of dota 2

umikami
07-25-2013, 12:58 PM
i'll be around also. i think i played with you in infinity wars jaxson. i've already grown tired of that game. hex is really what i'm waiting for. we can chat on skype while playing. i found the client basically replicates real life as you have to do everything manually. but it works fine, just if you get +10 counters on a unit, it's a little wonky.

DrakarT
07-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Armies! Sorry for leaving suddenly.. Had a problem with my pc D:

Armies
07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
no worries, done with dota for the day if anyone wants to play, oh shit I am a poet and didn't even know it.

syphonhail
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
This is from the cockatrice website.

I have received a letter from a law firm representing Hasbro Germany, expressing a strong feeling of dislike for our project, backed up with legal claims. Regardless of whether the claims they are making are factually correct or not, I have agreed to shut down the project in its current form. As soon as this is completely sorted out, development work will be put into keeping alive the code base in such a way that it can be used for other purposes.

I deeply appreciate all the support from the community and hope to see all of you again soon. I will keep you posted if there are any news.

2013/02/27
Max-Wilhelm Bruker <brukie@gmx.net>

Hasbro's lawyers have stated that they regard the case as over assuming I stick to the declaration of cease and desist that I had signed before. According to their latest letter, there will be no further consequences. However, when I asked whether I could publicise their letters, there was no reply, and I assume there won't be any. Long story short, the main point of the declaration is: I may not copy, distribute or use for advertisement any copyrighted visual representation related to MTG. As you know, I've never done any of that myself (except for some screenshots in the downloads section), but as their exemplary screenshots show parts of the Cockatrice UI with MTG card pictures in it for the most part, what they mean is probably that I should not distribute this software any more. The immediate consequences are as follows:

I'm looking for someone else to take over this project and modify it to be a general purpose card playing program. Cockatrice was never meant to infringe any copyrights, and I'm certain it can be made that way. The code contains very few MTG-specific bits, and throwing away the whole code because of those bits is not the way to go. I will be happy to assist with development of a non-infringing software based of Cockatrice once a new project leader is found.
I had to pay attorney fees in the amount of 911.80 (about $1200). As many of you have expressed a wish to help me in this regard, I've added the donate button again. Any donations are greatly appreciated.

http://www.woogerworks.com/

Armies
07-25-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.twitch.tv/armiesofmordor

Playing some sealed right now if you want to watch

shiseido
07-25-2013, 06:40 PM
feel free to join us, it's fun^^

shiseido
07-25-2013, 09:19 PM
armies and i played 3 sealed matches, it's great fun^^

Armies
07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
off for now see ya fellow hexers on the morrow

umikami
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
and if you guys want to see how the game works. just go to armies twitch. he has it on there.

Armies
07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
back for more, if anyone wants to play I will be around

Chiany
07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
downloading now

Chiany
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
How do you add a champion, they seem to be missing from the database.

Grissnap
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
The name is like Champion01 or something like that, scroll all the way to the bottom.

Also thanks to Armies for the games, very instructive and now know I need to change out my sockets. Blood Major for direct damage is actually the right choice.

Dralon
07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for doing this. I will definitely toy around with this.

umikami
07-26-2013, 03:29 PM
we are on now again, feel free to join us and watch armies stream...

Corpselocker
07-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Almost have enough people to run real 8 ppl drafts..

funktion
07-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, I left it on overnight, sorry for the folks that whispered me. But I'll be around for most of today, if you wanna play just send me a message. I've got a mumble server people can use as well if you'd like. Still getting used to the ui, it's definitely really clunky.

Anyhow, I'll probably just be procrastinating from working on videos, so yeah just hit me up.

Corpselocker
07-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Looking over our guild reports, it looks like our player base is now doing full drafts.

Mr.Funsocks
07-30-2013, 12:04 PM
We've also started getting games going in Hex IRC (#hex on Gamesurge, link in sig), if anyone wants to hop on. I want to get Saturday night Hex games active in IRC as well.

HyenaNipples
07-31-2013, 12:15 AM
The links in the OP have been removed. Explanation can also be found there.

Chiany
07-31-2013, 01:43 AM
The links in the OP have been removed. Explanation can also be found there.

Agree with the decision and reasoning completely!!

Corpselocker
07-31-2013, 08:42 AM
It makes good sense to me. We don't want to cause friction with our favorite company, either :) I feel the Lackey is a rather burdensome and not Hex friendly, so I never thought it would draw any dollars away. We just enjoyed getting to tinker around a bit.

We won't let the plug in escape into the wild again :)

Halfmind
08-01-2013, 02:15 AM
EDIT:

Having recently learned that this plug-in is potentially harmful to Hex TCG, I have decided to remove the guide to its use from Hex Shuffle, as well as all related writings. Harming the game in any way is directly opposed to Hex Shuffle's entire purpose.

I'm sorry that the title of this thread is now misleading.

Though I did enjoy the article on Utopian Chaos, I feel it may have turned a lot of the community off to the thought of using Hex Lackey as it was intended for no good reason. I'll spare this forum the wall of text, but you can read my thoughts on the UC article. It's unfortunate, but I understand your hesitation to be involved in it. Thank you for originally sharing the plug-in with the community :)