View Full Version : Card Previews: Countermagic and Polymorph: Dingler

Shaqattaq
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
by Mike Rosenberg

Just say no.

http://hextcg.com/card-previews-july-26th/

Rycajo
07-26-2013, 12:59 PM
So we have a super strong counter spell and an almost-removal? Sapphire just got some love.

Hemlock
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Countermagic! Fantastic. We knew we'd see something like it eventually, but it's great to know the specifics.

It looks like something went wrong with the boots though. They just have the Polymorph: Dingler boots text.

mmimzie
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
coutnermagic is amazingly good!!!Specialy for a common card. makes me wonder if they'll have nay rare removal or counters that might be even more effective. However this still sets a relatively slow pace for control. You oppent gets the first 2 turn with out being harrassed, unless your playing ruby in which case your opponent get to be more aggressive toward the middle parts of the game as thats when ruby control stops being efficient.

The dingler seems okay for cards that are invincible, however it still wont help very much against a spell shielded card. It is effectively removal in that a 0/1 won't do more than chump block

EDIT: the dingler could be come a mascot. Add a few more dingle transformation type cards and effects. Then, in set 3 release a whole new dingler race of creature who were unforutnate enough to run into the ill effects of saphire magic, but have banned together and over come thier weakness.

at the very least it'd make a good april fools joke.

felmare
07-26-2013, 01:05 PM
countermagic is insane... i almost pooped my pants

self1sch
07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
The Dingler is one sexy bastard!

Shaqattaq
07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Countermagic! Fantastic. We knew we'd see something like it eventually, but it's great to know the specifics.

It looks like something went wrong with the boots though. They just have the Polymorph: Dingler boots text.

Fixed. Sorry about that!

snarvid
07-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Dingler: first response is "this is terrible outside of PVE with equips compared to a simple Murder."

Second response is, "Yet another card priced around ready access to graveyard and continuity of identity? Because if you Murder Jadim he's just an Alabaster Sphinx or Captain of the Dragonguard away from returning, while a Dingler is always a Dingler."

Countermagic is slammin... Cancel + perma Mana Leak.

TheSteveIAm
07-26-2013, 01:21 PM
The dingler's hood has a typo, stating all copies of "target roop" get transformed as well :P

Maphalux
07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Love countermagic. I was waiting to see something like this. And I love the poly spell too. Good pseudo removal against an opponent's big hitters.

Corpselocker
07-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Yikes... we noticed using the Hex Lackey that the format was insanely fast with the current card base. That counterspell will slow things down quite nicely. I almost think... *gulp*... it is too good.

MercuryMonkey
07-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Both cards look good! Dobby + Bubonic Plague = Dingler?

Fixed now, thanks!

EntropyBall
07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
The artwork on Countermagic is awesome. One of my favorites so far.

hitchslap88
07-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Blue love, yes!!!!!! LOVE the Dingler! As was already mentioned, the fact that it will stay a Dingler for the rest of the game is a big deal. Outside of a void effect (which may be blocked by Invulnerability) it's one of the only ways to stop an aura style deck that uses "permanent" buffs and graveyard retrieval. I'd be willing to pay the extra 3 mana for an "Inner Conflict" that completely neutralizes anything. Plus, the art is just awesome.

Azrealle
07-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Obviously the counterspell is awesome, the Dingler is fun too though. I think my favorite thing about the Dingler is the card name, "Polymorph: Dingler" indicates to me that we may see other Polymorph cards one day, maybe some that buff your troops rather than act as removal?

teasel
07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
argh! i was hoping that hex would be counter magic free,i hate control deck "i play..." "mana leak" "allright then..." "interrupt" "did i finaly got some creature on board?" "wrath of god"

playing against control it's so boring and frustating

Tathel
07-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Is anyone worried about the power level of countermagic and what it might mean?

as someone already said this is essentially cancel + permanent punishment.

What does this mean for the cost of a vanilla counterspell?

With the way hex resources work if a vanilla counterspell were 2 with 2S threshold that is more powerful than the magic UU counterspell

for example: In magic I have 2 islands 2 mountains and a plains. I can play 1 counter spell or i can play 1 cancel.

With the hex resource system I still don't have enough to play 2 countermagics but if a vanilla counterspell is less then countermagic I could play at least 2.

By creating cancel as the new vanilla counter wizards signified they believe that counterspell was too good for the current game.

This leads me to believe that at least one of the following is true
1) they want to promote less 4/3ofs and more 2/1ofs in decks so they empowering repeat card hate
2) vanilla counterspell will be 3 (1S threshold)
3) there will be no vanilla counterspell

Rycajo
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
This leads me to believe that at least one of the following is true
1) they want to promote less 4/3ofs and more 2/1ofs in decks so they empowering repeat card hate
2) vanilla counterspell will be 3 (1S threshold)
3) there will be no vanilla counterspell

Good points all around. I'm sure this card was very hard for CZE to balance between draft and constructed. In draft, the extra cost effect will do very little in most cases, while possibly being very strong in a constructed format. Yet the card is a common, so it will be prevalent in draft.

I might just be crazy, but I kinda hope the vanilla counterspell is a single sapphire threshold, but uncommon or rare rarity. This would allow the occasional counterspell splash, but it would not be too common. Perhaps it would be too powerful though - To bluff, I could see a player throwing in a sapphire shard or two into a deck with no sapphire cards, just to keep an opponent on his or her toes. And that can be awfully stressful for the opponent.

Wolfe
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Countermagic will be painful to Inspire mechanics. All copies of your Lord Alexander now cost 5 and only buff 5+ drops with Speed instead of 3+? Ouch. Awesome cards!

Rycajo
07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Countermagic will be painful to Inspire mechanics. All copies of your Lord Alexander now cost 5 and only buff 5+ drops with Speed instead of 3+? Ouch. Awesome cards!

Good point Wolfe, I hadn't thought about how it would hurt inspire decks - all of your inspire troops in play and even in the graveyard also get the increased cost.

Edit: Also, I think shard sinks usable on the opponent's turn (such as Soul Marble) just got better. The Draw Go deck has some foundation forming.

DanTheMeek
07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I kind of feel like Countermagic should require 3 saphire, it just seems so good. As some one who always played blue when he played MTG and always ran 4 counter spell in every format that allowed it, I have mixed feelings about this spell. On one hand, counter spells were quite literally my favorite part about blue so I'm happy to see hex will have them return. On the other hand, counter spells were my least favorite part about playing AGAINST other blue decks and I was kind of hoping that hex would keep there's much weaker in power. Ultimately, if I draft saphire, I'm drafting every countermagic that comes my way, and if I'm running spahire in contructed, I'm running 4 countermagic in every deck (at least in set 1) I build, and I don't like staples, but dang is that card too good to not run.

Conversly polymorph:Dingler, is not only hilarious, but seems very well balanced, as it gives blue its own form of field based "removal", with its own situations where its superior to normal removal (against decks with graveyard recursion) but generally inferior other wise. Overall I don't think its a great card, I don't know that I'll ever main board a poly:dingler, nor is it likely to ever be my first pick in a draft, but I could see myself side boarding in certain decks and in general I just think its a good addition to the set as a whole.

Aethnen
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Agreed with all the other comments but I'd go so far as to say Polymorph is a TERRIBLE card. I don't know when you'd ever use it but Countermagic? Insanely good. I liked Sapphire already even!

snarvid
07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Agreed with all the other comments but I'd go so far as to say Polymorph is a TERRIBLE card. I don't know when you'd ever use it but Countermagic? Insanely good. I liked Sapphire already even!

I think Dingler is potentially strong PVE. We don't know for sure, of course, but something like Dingling all the Krakens in an enemy deck could really mess up a dungeon.

jgsugden
07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
A difference between Hex and MtG: When the troop becomes Dingler, it stays a Dingler, even after it leaves the board- right? No going to the graveyard to pull it back - and you can know there will be cards in your opponent's graveyard / field of battle that are weak and plan to take advantage of it. Removal in blue should be high costed to keep it balanced with the other options in the color - but it should also have some trickery involved.

Eggs
07-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I've personally always hated this type of play style as it slows the game down considerably. Still, it can be fun at times.

teasel
07-27-2013, 04:44 AM
you know the equipment on that card is even worse because it basicaly turns it into a cheaper force of will... isn't that the counterspell that was basicaly everywhere to the point wizard buried the concept forever such as to never be unsealed again? and the helmet is only a common to add to the injury!

dogmod
07-27-2013, 05:14 AM
The dingler will be even worse against inspire decks as permanent effects persist transformation per Ben stoll..

Showsni
07-27-2013, 06:34 AM
you know the equipment on that card is even worse because it basicaly turns it into a cheaper force of will... isn't that the counterspell that was basicaly everywhere to the point wizard buried the concept forever such as to never be unsealed again? and the helmet is only a common to add to the injury!

Not quite - Daze, Foil, Pact of Negation; they have printed "free" Counterspells since Force of Will. This card with the equipment isn't strictly better than FoW because it needs an "Island" rather than a blue card; but it is practically a better FoW (with Split Second!).

With this Countermagic being so strong, you have to think maybe there aren't that many counters in the set altogether. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dropbear
07-27-2013, 07:48 AM
As it's the first set ever, I'd expect all card types to be pretty low until set 2 or 3 where we'll get our variety to build decks properly.

Countermagic is strong, but that seems to be a staple of a lot of aggro cards on green and white we've seen, so I'm very happy to see the control side of the equation to get some love. Hopefully we'll see actions/spells be strong enough to consider long game SD or SB control decks being tournament viable.

TomoyaNagase
07-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Polymorph: Dingler will be completely overpowered against decks that relay on Tokens to over run the enemy... one Polymorph: Dingler + The Dingler's Hood will turn a whole army of Tokens into a big pile of useless cannon fodder. I hate control decks nothing is more Frustration to Play against than a control deck... it ruins all the fun period

snarvid
07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
PVE, Cerulean Mirror Knight and Countermagic have fully compatible equipment. Turn 2 Mirror Knight will give a credible threat + future inspire card draw + 2-for-1s against removal if enemy has a troop in play, into turn 3 (or sapphire drop) Countermagic.

I think Spectral Assassin + full equips + some kind of sac engine seems more fun than Dingler, but maybe that's just me.

loopholist3
07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Oh yay, counter magic (sarcasm). You know all those combos that makes your deck fun, well now you don't have them anymore. Instead you will just have to play a deck with no real strategy, that is unless your strategy was to just blindly play cards whenever you can. The only actual "strategy" you have against blue decks is guessing whether or not your opponent drew a counter spell last turn. Control decks that allow you to play things are fun to play against because they allow you to create the illusion of hope. Control decks that use counter spells are un-fun because they just make the opposing player feel like there is nothing they can do against them. Counter spell decks are decks who entire existence translates to, my fun is created by making other players not have fun. The only time that it can be fun playing against counter spells is when you are also playing counter spells. Magic even published an article about this a couple years back. Overall, I am really disappointed at the announcement of this card.

snarvid
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Oh yay, counter magic (sarcasm). You know all those combos that makes your deck fun, well now you don't have them anymore. Instead you will just have to play a deck with no real strategy, that is unless your strategy was to just blindly play cards whenever you can. The only actual "strategy" you have against blue decks is guessing whether or not your opponent drew a counter spell last turn. Control decks that allow you to play things are fun to play against because they allow you to create the illusion of hope. Control decks that use counter spells are un-fun because they just make the opposing player feel like there is nothing they can do against them. Counter spell decks are decks who entire existence translates to, my fun is created by making other players not have fun. The only time that it can be fun playing against counter spells is when you are also playing counter spells. Magic even published an article about this a couple years back. Overall, I am really disappointed at the announcement of this card.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/deprived-in-defense-of-countermagic/

Shadowelf
07-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Counter sure looks sweet; unsure about Dingler however; looks like too costly for what it does, but it could be used in the absence of better removal

loopholist3
07-29-2013, 08:24 AM
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/deprived-in-defense-of-countermagic/

The article I was thinking of was on the Wizards site and talked about how the un-fun generated by counter spells in the writer's deck caused his friend to quit magic all together. I know your article is trying to defend counter-magic, but a quote from your article that I thinks sums up my argument is, "Probably not so good, but I'd bet a dollar and a doughnut that you feel a little bit better about it than you did about that hard counter!" Sure, the un-fun caused by counter-magic vs any other type of control deck might be all in the players head, but that doesn't prevent it from existing. For me, any time I saw a blue deck in magic I would breath a sigh of disappointment and say to myself, "Oh, I am playing against one of those decks". I would then switch my mind into counter blue mode, play the game to its completion, and then avoid that player for the rest of the night. Not because his deck was good, as my win loss ratio against those decks were probably close to 50%, but because countering blue with most deck, just isn't fun. If magic is like a game of checkers, then as soon as you introduce a couner-magic, the blue player is now playing chess, and the non-blue player is now playing war, and I lost interest in playing war when I was 3.

Icepick
07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
So can I just clarify something here, because no one seems to be mentioning it:
We're assuming that Interrupt is the keyword that basically stops the target from resolving?
As for the second effect, it says "Each card in an opposing zone..." Does that mean it effects all opposing zones? Do you get to pick a zone? I assume the former but all previous cards we've seen specifically say "all zones."

Shadowelf
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
So can I just clarify something here, because no one seems to be mentioning it:
We're assuming that Interrupt is the keyword that basically stops the target from resolving?
As for the second effect, it says "Each card in an opposing zone..." Does that mean it effects all opposing zones? Do you get to pick a zone? I assume the former but all previous cards we've seen specifically say "all zones."

Interrupt appears to be the word for counter in hex. As for the card itself, it says 'each card in a opposing zone', instead of 'each card in all zones'; so i assume that you have to choose which zone will that be

Grissnap
07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
You have to parse it differently Shadowelf, it says "each card in an opposing zone": so what cards are effected? Each card. What zones do they need to be in? An opposing zone.

So your cards of the same name aren't affected, but each card in an opposing zone is affected.

Edit: If it only said "all zones", then your cards with the same name would be affected. They could say "opposing cards of the same name in all zones" and have the same meaning as "each card in an opposing zone with the same name".

Patrigan
07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
You have to parse it differently Shadowelf, it says "each card in an opposing zone": so what cards are effected? Each card. What zones do they need to be in? An opposing zone.

So your cards of the same name aren't affected, but each card in an opposing zone is affected.

Edit: If it only said "all zones", then your cards with the same name would be affected. They could say "opposing cards of the same name in all zones" and have the same meaning as "each card in an opposing zone with the same name".

"each card in all opposing zones"?

Grissnap
07-29-2013, 11:05 PM
That works to, but it doesn't really matter. "in an opposing zone" is modifying "card", each indicates that each card (or any card) satisfying the requirement of being "in an opposing zone" and having the same name will be affected.

Shadowelf
07-30-2013, 01:56 AM
The way i interpret it is this (i'm not a judge ;) ). You for example counter/interrupt murder, then choose library; therefore all copies of murder drawn from opponent's library now cost 5 (each card in that zone )

Grissnap
07-30-2013, 03:12 AM
If a card were going to force you to select a zone it would use more targeted wording. For example:

"Interrupt target card. Choose an opposing zone: each card in this zone of the same name gets permanent cost +2."
or
"Interrupt target card. Each card in target opposing zone of the same name gets permanent cost +2."

Instead, the existing wording on the card is:
"Interrupt target card. Each card in an opposing zone with the same name as that card gets permanet +2 cost."

Let's compare this to this sentence.

Give target person $5,000. Each person in a different country with the same name as that person gets $1,000.

Say you target Mark who is in the USA: Would you argue that only people in one country (that is not the USA) with the same name as Mark would receive $1,000, or that each person in any country that is not the USA receive $1,000.

I would argue that all Marks that are not in the USA receive $1,000.

(Ignoring that the Countermagic card could also be interpreted to mean cards in an opposing zone with the zone name as the targeted card would get +2; i.e. if you target Murder, all cards in the "Murder zone" get +2.)

Dropbear
07-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Agreed that it's really awkwardly worded, especially as you're playing it against a card. From what I can gather it changes the info in all zones except on the battlefield.

Shadowelf
07-30-2013, 04:29 AM
What confused me about the card though is that while there are other cards/effects worded 'all zones', this one is worded in a way that refers to a single zone; why they didn't word it 'all zones' and save us of interpretation doubts ? Anyway thanks Grissnap for clarifying :)

LargoLaGrande
07-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Because "all zones" would include your zones, so countering Murder would make your Murders cost more too. It also can't be worded "cards your opponent owns in all zones" because what if you stole/Relentlessly Corrupted an opponent's Murder. Which brings up the question, if you Relentlessly Corrupt a Briar Legion and play it, does the one you play get +1/+1? It probably should, but currently wouldn't the way it's worded.

Shadowelf
07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Because "all zones" would include your zones, so countering Murder would make your Murders cost more too. It also can't be worded "cards your opponent owns in all zones" because what if you stole/Relentlessly Corrupted an opponent's Murder.

Makes sense, thanks :)

Patrigan
07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
That works to, but it doesn't really matter. "in an opposing zone" is modifying "card", each indicates that each card (or any card) satisfying the requirement of being "in an opposing zone" and having the same name will be affected.

How would you write it if it could only affect one zone?

Grissnap
07-30-2013, 02:38 PM
How would you write it if it could only affect one zone?

See my post 42 above for examples of how to word it if the player were to choose which zone is affected.

If it's just one zone you can't just say "an opposing zone", because then it is ambiguous as to who gets to choose the zone. Does the playing player choose or the affected player? That wording is unclear.

If the designers wanted it to affect only a particular zone, they would then only specify the zone on the card. For example, "cards of the same name in owner's deck." But obviously they wanted it to affect more than one.

TheWrathofShane
07-30-2013, 07:59 PM
It seems to me the counter magic spell will effect the casting cost of that same card for all opponents in all zones. So if they have burn in a graveyard, it will cost 3 now instead, so if they shuffle graveyard or retrieve it.

As for the polymorph spell, its more powerful then it looks because it stays an 0/1 base stats and lose all abilities on the card even if they leave play. So basically its a sapphire void. I feel any "auras" will still be on the 0/1, but we will see.

Patrigan
07-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Somehow I didn't notice page 2 of this thread apologies.

In any case, I fully agree with your wording, I was playing devil's advocate. However I do disagree with the current wording. It should read, as I stated, "in all opposing zones", to clear all ambiguity.

Luckily, the wording isn't THAT important, as long as the execution by the game is clear.

nekoangel
07-31-2013, 03:08 AM
wording seems fine for this card to me...

"each card in an opposing zone" clearly says to me each other copy that's remaining.

perhaps its to make it only target one set of cards in multiplayer?

in all opposing zones would suggest more players if applicable, an opposing seems easier to understand as one player?

just theory crafting on wording here but that's all i can get from it now.

snarvid
07-31-2013, 06:05 AM
It seems to me the counter magic spell will effect the casting cost of that same card for all opponents in all zones. So if they have burn in a graveyard, it will cost 3 now instead, so if they shuffle graveyard or retrieve it.

As for the polymorph spell, its more powerful then it looks because it stays an 0/1 base stats and lose all abilities on the card even if they leave play. So basically its a sapphire void. I feel any "auras" will still be on the 0/1, but we will see.

Except, of course, that a void would strip them of the troop entirely, while the polymorph leaves them with a chump blocker. Sometimes a one-turn delay is irrelevant, but sometimes not.

With equipment it gets more interesting, since something like a Spectral Assassin would destroy all troops with the same name in all opposing zones and therefore thins the opposing deck, while Dingler leaves the card in the deck, effectively giving a near-worthless draw (again, except for chumping, sac-fodder, etc).

We have to see whether these kind of "remove enemy troop and all copies in deck" cards exist in PVP or only as consequences of equips in PVE. While the countermagic spell is amazingly powerful, the classic control deck with a very small number of wincons may not be viable if an opposing deck can be readily stripped of its threats. Or it may just consist of a handful of high-value one-ofs backed with a couple Escalation spells.

Onto other random thoughts:

Does Countermagic targeting a troop on the stack count as "an action targeting a troop you control"? If so Cerulean Mirror Knight can stop it by redirecting it at itself, making the caster's subsequent countermagic cost 5. (Of course, PVE only, but I think we are likely to see other redirect effects as part of sapphire's control suite.)

Or, to continue our English grammar lessons meet TCG rules lessons, maybe not, depending on whether you read the clauses together or not. "Interrupt target card. Each card in an opposing zone with the same name as that card gets permanent cost +2." If someone wrests control of the targeting of the card, would that change the "an opposing zone" portion of the card?

One thing I am happy about, though: It's a computerized TCG, so while clarity of text on cards is important, at least we won't have 30-minute long arguments at the table about the wording of rules. What the program says, goes.

TheWrathofShane
07-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Also an interesting side note. Say they have a troop on the field with inspire. They then cast another copy of the same troop from hand, which you counter. It seems like the troop on the field would get additional casting cost, messing with his inspire mechanic.

Rycajo
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Also an interesting side note. Say they have a troop on the field with inspire. They then cast another copy of the same troop from hand, which you counter. It seems like the troop on the field would get additional casting cost, messing with his inspire mechanic.

This makes sense and improves the value of this card versus inspire decks.

TheWrathofShane
07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Polymorph: Dingler in PvE with both equipment, and some kind of ping for 1 damage troop.

Roneci
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Typo on Countermagic equipment "Antimagic Helm" -- "You may discard a Sapphire Shard from your hand rather than pay this card's cosdt[sic]"

Halfmind
08-03-2013, 02:35 AM
It would be awesome to see a few cards that would synergize around the Dingler. Maybe a constant that damages the champion who owns the Dinglers?

Or a basic action that heals you for each Dingler in play?

(I really just wanted to write Dingleberries)

Best of all, the King Dingler! The King is a 4/1 Dingler with 8 cost (2 sapph threshold), but costs one less resource per Dingle in play. King Dingler cannot be blocked by Dinglers, and when he attacks, his owner may exhaust a creature for each Dingler in play. When Dingler King deals damage to a champion, that champion must transform a non-Dingler creature they control into a Dingler.

Nothing like trolling with trolls (er, dinglers)!

Rycajo
08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Hopefully Dingler isn't inspired by some KS backer who got his likeness into the game...

A_e-n
08-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Love Countermagic.

More head-games I can play with my opponent the better. "He has a counter.... well, maybe he doesn't.... but if he does...." All the while you sit and watch your enemy squirm. The best part, it's all in their head.

I like playing against permission too.

Getting a counter-magic player to misplay is a great feeling. Why people have so much hate for counters is beyond me. The player playing counter-magic has more stress in my opinion. It's just up to the other player to put the control player in a situation where they have to make a lot of hard choices. (hopefully)

Counter players just want to make the game more cerebral and if you ignore it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Now if only we had an option for web cams so we can see the nerdrage Countermagic provides....

snarvid
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
It would be awesome to see a few cards that would synergize around the Dingler.

Well... in PVE there's Zombie Plague, which depending on how constant effects interact with transform might combine the Dingler's Hood and Boots of the Walking Dead into a nasty little combo that many-for-ones and dramatically escalates the plague. Throw in Gravebiter Gloves with Cruel Webcrawler and other "Create" cards and you'll strip the enemy deck of threats in no time.

The_Wine_Gnat
08-25-2013, 09:44 PM
What does "Interupt target card" exactly mean? Does it stop troops and actions from being played? What happens to those cards?
Do they go to the graveyard or back into the owner's hand?

Rycajo
08-26-2013, 05:32 PM
What does "Interupt target card" exactly mean? Does it stop troops and actions from being played? What happens to those cards?
Do they go to the graveyard or back into the owner's hand?

A card can only be interrupted as it is being played. As far as we know, any card other than resource cards may be interrupted (troops, constants, actions). When a card is interrupted, it does not resolve and will then be placed in the player's graveyard without performing its usual function.

In addition, the resources were already spent to play that card before it was interrupted, so the casting player is out a number of resources equal to the cost of that card in addition to the card. In this case, the interrupting player is out 3 resources and the Countermagic card.

The_Wine_Gnat
08-26-2013, 08:34 PM
That clears it up perfectly, thanks!