PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Hex Puzzle (#2) - 7/28/13

HyenaNipples
07-27-2013, 10:52 PM
It seemed a lot of people enjoyed my first Hex puzzle, so I’ve decided to begin a weekly series. From now till the heat death of the universe*, I shall endeavor to post a Hex Puzzle on Sunday for all to enjoy. Mundane folks do their crosswords, while you shall test your mettle upon Hex.

I’m going to consider my first puzzle a pilot episode, as it had quite a messy launch. These puzzles are convoluted to create, and I learned quickly that several pairs of eyes are required to catch unintentional victories. To such efforts, my own pledged guild, Steadfast, is currently patient enough to buzz over the initial drafts of each puzzle. Thanks!

Now, without further ado! Your Puzzle! (http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/07/27/sunday-hex-puzzle-2-72813/)

Spoiler Block Zone: Scroll down at your own risk!

Icepick
07-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Edit: Oops, my original solution was wrong, ignore that. Let me just ask, your solution doesn't involve playing 1 cost artifacts for free using the Journeyman Technician does it? Because the min cost is always 1.

wurtil
07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Not true. CZE clarified in a twitch stream that costs can go to zero unless explicitly stated on the card (so Archmage Wrenlock for now).

wurtil
07-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Copy Worker Bot with Dopplegadget
Play Journeyman Technician(6 resource left)
Play Malfunctioning War Bot
Play Volcannon (2 resource left)
Play Sappers Charge
Shoot Corpse Fly with Sappers Charge (0 resource left)
Attack with Thunderbird (opp at 11)
Exhaust Hex Engine (2 resource left)
Shoot opp with Sappers Charge (opp at 9, 0 resource left)
Exhaust Technician and Volcannon (opp at 6)
Exhaust two Worker Bots to ready Volcannon
Exhaust Researcher and Volcannon (opp at 3)
Exhaust Worker Bot and Malfunction Bot to ready Volcannon
Use Betram charge ability to make Worker Bot
Exhaust Worker Bot and Volcannon (opp dead)

HyenaNipples
07-28-2013, 06:46 AM
As wurtil said- i made the puzzle under the assumption that costs can go to zero unless otherwise noted.

Icepick
07-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Not true. CZE clarified in a twitch stream that costs can go to zero unless explicitly stated on the card (so Archmage Wrenlock for now).

Oh, I'm sure I remembering them saying multiple times that you won't be able to reduce a cards cost to 0. If you can, then I have the answer, yay.

HyenaNipples
07-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Cory said that a lot, but perhaps the design team went in the opposite direction.

Rycajo
07-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I hope the Technician has the minimum cost text added to him. A 1 cost troop that reduces the cost of all artifacts by 1 is kinda ridiculous, especially if that cost can be reduced to 0. And he isn't unique like Wrenlocke. A card drawing artifact will go a long ways to making this guy degenerate - a 1 or 2 cost cantrip artifact becomes much better when free.

Grissnap
07-28-2013, 11:14 PM
1) Dopplegadget copies Workerbot
2) Use Champion's charge power to put out Worker Bot
3) Play Journeyman Technician (6 resources left)
4) Play Sapper's Charge from Hand
5) Play Malfunctioning Warbot from Hand
6) Play Volcannon (2 resources left)
7) Exhaust Researcher Adept, Volcannon (-3 to Champion, 12 remaning)
8) Exhaust Workerbot 1, Workerbot 2; ready Volcannon
9) Exhaust Workerbot 3, Volcannon (-3 to Champion, 9 remaning)
10) Exhaust Workerbot 4, Journeyman Technician; ready Volcannon
11) Exhaust Malfunctioning Warbot, Volcannon (-3 to Champion, 6 remaning)
12) Exhaust Hex Engine (4 resources remaning)
13) Pay 2, Sacrifice Sappers Charge 1, deal 2 to corpse fly (2 resources remaning)
14) Pay 2, Sacrifice Sappers Charge 2, deal 2 to champion (0 resources remaning, -2 to champion 4 health remaning)
15) Attack with Thunderbird (-4 to champion, 0 health remaining)

(Same as above, but looks prettier)

EntropyBall
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Oh, I'm sure I remembering them saying multiple times that you won't be able to reduce a cards cost to 0. If you can, then I have the answer, yay.

I think this solution works even if you assume costs can’t be reduced to 0.
Copy Hex Engine with DoppleGadget (I assume this doesn't make it enter play exhausted)
Play: Journeyman Tech, Volcannon, Sapper’s Charge, for 7 total mana
Use charge power for 3rd Worker Bot
Use 3 Worket Bots + Volcannon for 3 damage plus an untap.
Volcannon + Journeyman Tech for 3 (6 total), untap with Sapper’s Charges
Volcannon + Researcher’s Adept for 3 (9)
Use Hex Engine to use 1 Sappers Charge for 2 damage to Corpse Fly
Attack for 4 (13) with Thunderbird
Use Dopplegadet Hex Engine to use other Sapper’s Charge, 2 (15) damage to opponent.

Shadowelf
07-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Same here; i was under the impression that costs can't be reduced to zero. But if they do, then yeah solved it

Grissnap
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I think this solution works even if you assume costs canít be reduced to 0.
Copy Hex Engine with DoppleGadget (I assume this doesn't make it enter play exhausted)
Volcannon + Journeyman Tech for 3 (6 total), untap with Sapperís Charges

I made the same mistake initially. You can only use an artifact troop to ready/exhaust the volcannon and Sapper's Charge is not an artifact troop.

Also, since Hex Engine text box states "Enters play exhausted", it doesn't matter how it enters play, it will enter play exhausted.

EntropyBall
07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
I made the same mistake initially. You can only use an artifact troop to ready/exhaust the volcannon and Sapper's Charge is not an artifact troop.

Also, since Hex Engine text box states "Enters play exhausted", it doesn't matter how it enters play, it will enter play exhausted.

Ah, missed that on the Volcannon.
Its been too long since I played MTG, but isn't the Dopplegadget in play already, and just changes into something else? They have a lot of cards that transform. I had expected (maybe for no reason) that those cards wouldn't have summoning sickness.

Grissnap
07-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Doppelgadget says you can create a copy of a target artifact and put it into play. So you are putting it into play that turn, it would be exhausted for that turn. For most artifacts (not artifact troops), you would be able to exhaust it that turn, but Hex Engine specifically states it enters play exhausted. Since it entered play that turn, it would be exhausted. It doesn't matter that the artifact being copied is ready, since the copy that was created is considered a completely new and different card.

EntropyBall
07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Doppelgadget says you can create a copy of a target artifact and put it into play. So you are putting it into play that turn, it would be exhausted for that turn. For most artifacts (not artifact troops), you would be able to exhaust it that turn, but Hex Engine specifically states it enters play exhausted. Since it entered play that turn, it would be exhausted. It doesn't matter that the artifact being copied is ready, since the copy that was created is considered a completely new and different card.

Boy, I really failed at reading comprehension on that one. Sorry for making you explain that in such detail, I somehow thought Dopplegadget turned into the target Artifact, rather than creating a completely new one.