PDA

View Full Version : Chat window after fights

Barkam
07-28-2013, 11:59 PM
I am playing Card Hunter (a very good game) waiting for Hex and I get a sense of feeling of disconnect from community. It feels cold, lonely and overall feeling that people are rude (which in fact they are not). Then it hit me. There is no chat window after the fight is over. There is no way to say "good game" or provide constructive criticism or just overall banter. I hope that Hex will let us talk to each other after a fight and before they send us to a random lobby forever lost in the sea of random people.

SomeoneRandom
07-29-2013, 12:08 AM
I think thats true for most digital card games I have seen, usually say GG before the final attack or spell etc. There is a bigger disconnect than in person though, usually in person I am willing to help and talk people over with what went wrong in a match etc, where online I just want to get on to the next game and don't worry about the other person unless it is someone I know.

I think the big thing will be guilds, I really don't forsee talking to many random people that I matchmake against.

keldrin
07-29-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm used to the private chat between players being available when playing a game like chess. And, they shouldn't make you leave the virtual table til you're ready.
Now, Kibitz during games. I'm not jumping up and down about. Since side comments could influence play. It could be setup so that the observers comments can't be seen by the player til after the game. And another possibility is for observers to not be able to see the players hands.
If we're talking esport type broadcasting, of title games, I'm not sure how to fix potential cheat issues, unless again, they won't show the hand during the live game. Potentially, a shown hand version of the game being available for viewing post game.

HyenaNipples
07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Of course, then you have League of Legends- in which the post-game chat allows the toxicity of the player community to leak out like the mystery ooze of Chinese cities.

Xenavire
07-29-2013, 06:40 AM
I just hope if they allow us chat boxes that people are mature about playing. I have 'played' a couple of games of Hex on the lackey CCG setup, and everyone has been amazing, even when adjudicating rules. However, when this 20k person community of somewhat unknown maturity grows to 100k+, we might see some very bad behaviour.

I just hope the nature of TCG's and the social nature it has always had will be enough to keep people mature and civil. I barely ever met poor sportsmanship face to face, and I hope that continues online.

Blare731
07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm used to the private chat between players being available when playing a game like chess. And, they shouldn't make you leave the virtual table til you're ready.
Now, Kibitz during games. I'm not jumping up and down about. Since side comments could influence play. It could be setup so that the observers comments can't be seen by the player til after the game. And another possibility is for observers to not be able to see the players hands.
If we're talking esport type broadcasting, of title games, I'm not sure how to fix potential cheat issues, unless again, they won't show the hand during the live game. Potentially, a shown hand version of the game being available for viewing post game.

Wow really great idea, I was wondering how to combat 'ghosting' aka watching another players live stream while playing them. Not showing your hand during it would pretty much nullify any chance of cheating. I just don't know how they would do it?

Would you just put 7 spaces or just static sleeves of your cards where your cards would be shown on the bottom of your stream so that the cards wouldn't get streamed? It is not like streaming would auto not include your cards, it just captures your screen as a video and sends it. I believe though you can set it to not capture certain areas, so maybe this can be an option.

funktion
07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I will say this, playing head games without voice chat will never compare to playing it with voice chat.

Yoss
07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
This is excellent. I'll ask Stoked to add it to his big Chat thread.

Kates
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
I think this is a nice idea! It could, of course, be a double-edged sword fostering both goodwill and venom to be expressed between players. I think those parties interested in the chat option will most likely be aware of this. As long as it is, in fact, optional and there is some way for both players to consent to being involved I see no problem with it.

keldrin
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow really great idea, I was wondering how to combat 'ghosting' aka watching another players live stream while playing them. Not showing your hand during it would pretty much nullify any chance of cheating. I just don't know how they would do it?

Would you just put 7 spaces or just static sleeves of your cards where your cards would be shown on the bottom of your stream so that the cards wouldn't get streamed? It is not like streaming would auto not include your cards, it just captures your screen as a video and sends it. I believe though you can set it to not capture certain areas, so maybe this can be an option.

Ideally it would be nice if it would allow you to have static sleeves shown, so you could show how many cards you have in your hand.

Miwa
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
There's plenty of option to gg before you concede. No need to torture the game until the last card...

Personally, I hope there's a way to completely ignore my opponents, as there's nothing I ever need to hear from them, and the chance of worthwhile comments vs. brain-melting idiocy isn't in my favor...

Yoss
07-29-2013, 01:15 PM
@Miwa:
I'm sure there will be an "ignore" function.

Miwa
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Hopefully it's not manually ignoring each person after they say something... Unless it's wildcard ignores. :P

keldrin
07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't think clicking a button to ignore each opponent would be a big deal. But.... if you can set ignore by default, and have to click to talk, it might not seem as.... well.. rude.
I can see why having the ability to have it set as default would make it easier so it doesn't look like the opponent is being singled out for being ignored.
My initial thought was, why would you want to auto ignore your opponents by default... then I remembered playing chess in yahoo games. Yeah... about 75% of the people there you don't want to talk to.
Kind of interesting if you could make the auto ignore configurable, so you would ignore everyone but people in your friends list and guild.

Khazrakh
07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
If you do this, there absolutely has to be a way to disable it by default. I've been playing the Might&Magic CCG for about a month and in all that time I didn't have a good conversation. Not once! It's not like I'm a very talkative guy after all, I just play the game and move on but every single time somebody started to talk to me it was either to comment on my mother or how I'm lucky/noobish/should get cancer or stuff like that. I'm not even offended by comments like that, I just ignore them and move on - but having to close that chat window everytime I finished a game would honestly just annoy me.

The_Wine_Gnat
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
@Miwa:
I'm sure there will be an "ignore" function.

+1 (if there is chat - which i hope there is - there needs to be an ignore button with memory)

zadies
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry but most of the games mentioned don't try to foster an mmo community... not sure how you can have an mmo without actually talking with people.

Miwa
07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Because the PvE part is almost all single player, and 1v1 PvP games don't need chat, since there is no co-ordination.

Hopefully the ignore can just be set to automatically ignore everyone not on your friends list, rather than having to ignore at the beginning of every match.

Yoss
07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I hope chat is enabled by default in as many places as they can squeeze it in. Like maybe they could have a PVE chat where everyone who's in a dungeon at the same time has a local chat. Just because it's "single player" doesn't mean you have to be in a bubble (unless you choose to be).

One of the selling points of the game is community. Ignoring everyone who's not your friend is not conducive to a good community.

heavyhitter86
07-30-2013, 04:42 PM
I hope chat is enabled by default in as many places as they can squeeze it in. Like maybe they could have a PVE chat where everyone who's in a dungeon at the same time has a local chat. Just because it's "single player" doesn't mean you have to be in a bubble (unless you choose to be).

One of the selling points of the game is community. Ignoring everyone who's not your friend is not conducive to a good community.

I agree. I personally still play a game I do not even care about because of the amazing community. I really do not think it can be undersold in any game.

Zarien
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
I do hope that chat can implemented in smart ways. I would like to be able talk with new players through the game in some form to do PvE stuff.

In regards to the spectating stuff, not showing the cards in hand, and only showing the sleeves (maybe the personal sleeves the player is using) would definitely be the ideal solution to prevent cheating, perhaps with an automatic 3 minute delay, similar to what you can enable in twitch.tv. Then an option to show what hands have what later would be great.

For real life tournament play, I think using the method that someone else brought up in another thread (I don't remember who, but i'm sure someone will) about using tablets as each opponents "hand" and having a screen in the middle between them would be awesome.

Khazrakh
07-30-2013, 11:44 PM

As long as I can just change it to be disabled everywhere in the options I'm good with that. Why would I want to chat with people that just happen to play the same dungeon? I really don't need another Barrens chat ;)

Xenavire
07-31-2013, 06:17 AM
This^^

WoW had a couple of instances (the chats inside them at least) break completely, mixing with all sorts of other chats, and it was absolutely horrible.

Basically, the only people I want to hear from when I am in a dungeon is my guildies and PM's. If I were to be forced into a public chat, I would be discouraged from playing that content.

keldrin
07-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Well, I can see the idea of being able to opt out. (I mean, sometimes all it takes is one really annoying person to make you want to leave a group chat).
But, when I played Dark age of camelot, there was often a chat group for the various areas you might be active in. From crafting to PVP, to specific dungeons. I often enjoyed being in those chats. It's sometimes cool to hear other peoples comments about what they are encountering. Not to mention, the ability to bounce ideas back and forth.
I would think being in such a chat, when a dungeon or raid was new, would be invaluable for the exchange of ideas on how to beat the game content.

Kates
07-31-2013, 06:42 AM
I think it's obvious the chat would be optional. I don't see anyone being forced to participate in public chat. I also agree it would be potentially useful for cooperative efforts. Like the forums comments would be hit or miss. Some people have valuable things to say while others....

jimmywolf
07-31-2013, 09:21 AM
like other are saying long we have things as options it fine it when it forced one way or the other it be a issue

simple chat options could be global chat,global dungeon chat, pvp chat,guild chat,party/raid chat, etc, etc, with the option too turn any them off so don't have needless spam.

zadies
07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry if you go to a tournament you hear people around you and people can walk up and talk to you it's a public event, the fact that it is on the internet doesn't seem to me like it should suddenly become a private event where i'm in my own little bubble and no one can bother me at all.

Miwa
07-31-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry if you go to a tournament you hear people around you and people can walk up and talk to you it's a public event, the fact that it is on the internet doesn't seem to me like it should suddenly become a private event where i'm in my own little bubble and no one can bother me at all.
If people said the things in person that they do on the net, they'd get their face pushed in. That's the difference.