PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use Spectral Lotus?

MoikPEI
07-29-2013, 01:59 PM
A assumption was made in another thread that players were unlikely to use a Spectral Lotus in the way that turns them into a Black Tiger. As best I can tell the card is otherwise draw-neutral with no effects beyond things that combo off artifacts.

Is it correct that the best play is to keep the card in Spectral Lotus mode, unactivated?

http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Spectral_Lotus

The card itself is a zero cost artifact with the effect:

"When this artifact enters play, draw a card.
Action: Gain +[3/0], gain three [THRESHOLD], and return this to your hand. It irreversibly transforms into Black Tiger. This change persists even after the game ends. "

The related gear is:
Phantasmal Armor (Rare) When this artifact enters play, gain 2 health.
Phantasmal Grips (Legendary) When you use this card's power, you may choose and discard any number of cards in your hand. Draw a card for each card discarded this way.

Icepick
07-29-2013, 02:40 PM
I suspect it largely depends on your situation. If you have the Spectral Lotus Garden and are easily able to generate more, using them will be less of a big deal to you, especially if you're on the final boss of a tough dungeon for example. If you need to get them off the AH and they turn out to be expensive, then the best use its probably just to keep them for the card draw. I don't really think there's one definitive *best* way to use them - it's all situational.
Personally, I'll be using 4 of them pretty soon in order to get 4 Black Tigers, as they are a pretty decent troop for PvE with their card draw ability.

Aradon
07-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Your question kind of confuses me. The best way to use a lotus is to burn it when you can best use the mana each time you have one out. It's a bit of a waste not to sac it. The only reason to not sacrifice it is due to cost, which can become prohibitive if they maintain any value. (Barring minor cases such as needing artifacts for Ebonrock's charge ability, etc.)

How frequently you'd crack one for its effect depends on how cost-conscious you are, as well as how much they settle at in price. For those who spend money freely on the game, you'd probably crack them the moment you want to make a good play with it. On the other side of the spectrum, there will be those who play it only for the free artifact and cantrip, never ever intending to crack it. I'll point out a few cases where these players could benefit from using the lotus anyways:
- Ebonrock's Reverse Engineering gives you a situation where you have a 'free' lotus to crack, at no cost
- If you don't think you can win the match without it, and the potential loot is greater than the value of a lotus, you'd lose value by saving the lotus and losing the match.

The best use of a lotus is to crack it the moment you need it, but for those who have limited access to lotuses, there are a few situations where you might find it reasonable to crack a lotus anyways.

Diesbudt
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
The best way to use a lotus is as a neutral draw, thus making a deck only have technically 56 cards, and then only when you feel it would make a big difference in the game you actually sac it for the temp mana gain and the threshold gain.

If you feel like it will not net much of a gain, don't sac it.
If you feel like the game is easily won or loss with it in play, save it and don't sac it.
If you do not have a garden and feel it will be too difficult to keep getting them, don't sac it.

Otherwise, use it as intended when you feel the time is right.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Personally, I plan on not using them in dungeons (though still playing them for the cantrip, and the oh-sheet button if I need it), and likely using them in raids - at least until said raids are on farm status.

zadies
08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
dopple gadget gets you free lotuses too now if you have the 5 mana to drop it you might not want to use it to copy a lotus... and i'm unsure how a doppled lotus turning into a permenat black tiger would acctually work.
As a booster to the elimination specialst given it does damage per artifact same with master theroy crafter
I'm sure there would be other combinations that count the number of artifacts you control so getting 4 out for free would seriously buffs those cards as well.

LargoLaGrande
08-02-2013, 01:32 PM
dopple gadget gets you free lotuses too now if you have the 5 mana to drop it you might not want to use it to copy a lotus... and i'm unsure how a doppled lotus turning into a permenat black tiger would acctually work.
As a booster to the elimination specialst given it does damage per artifact same with master theroy crafter
I'm sure there would be other combinations that count the number of artifacts you control so getting 4 out for free would seriously buffs those cards as well.

Dopplegageting a lotus is actually pretty strong, you get a free 3/1 and draw a card every turn.

edit: Although, now that the Gencon decks are out it looks like Dopplegadget turns itself into an artifact instead of cloning one every turn, so that's much worse.

zadies
08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah did see that but still having it transform for the free card draw and being able to crack it without actually burning one might be useful at some times to power an eye of creation or burn to the ground.

Erebus
08-03-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't think you get the card draw, but I could be wrong. Doppelgadget transforms into the lotus, so the lotus doesn't enter play? Depends on the exact ruling if cards transform are they consider entering play?

Personally I'd say it doesn't count as coming into play.

There's also the question now, does Doppelgadget permanently turn into a Black Tiger? :/

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-04-2013, 02:24 AM
You shouldn't get the free card draw. Still using it to transform into 'not-permanent-transforming-Lotuses' is still powerful, given that the Lotus gloves are ridiculously good, but the Dopplegadget certainly did take a big nerf to the face.

I'll still be using them in my dungeon-deck to that end (at this stage of spoilers), but IMO this certainly seems like a nerf pointed at PvE.