PDA

View Full Version : My issues with Inspire

Govir
08-02-2013, 06:48 AM
So this is nit picky, but wanted to vent about it anyway. I don't like the Inspire keyword. Not because of what it does, but because I don't think the meaning of the word matches the ability.

Quick run down of Inspire (http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Inspire). It's a keyword on Troops, "...that triggers an effect when another troop with cost equal to or greater than the card with Inspire enters play under your its owner's control." <Insert Wikia Link>

So that means that the card with the Inspire keyword is the Troop that is doing the Inspiring, and therefore the "little" guys are Inspiring the "big" guys. That seems backwards to me. It should be the big guys (assumed strong) Inspiring the little guys (assumed weaker). For this to work, Inspire would trigger when they enter the play field. This causes an issue though. In the current system, multiple cards (with Inspire) can affect a single card, each card is only providing a small amount of power to the single card and therefore are not too powerful in and of themselves. In my system, one card is potentially affecting multiple cards thus making that single card much more (potentially) powerful.

There would also be a difference in outcomes. Current system creates a play field of increasingly more powerful Troops coming into play (Troops already on the board would not become more powerful). My system would even out the power distribution and create a play field of Medium powered Troops (or at least more consistent power level when compared to each other)

But still Inspire bothers me. Again, it's not the underlying mechanic, it's the name. Keep the mechanic but call it something else. This is where my rant goes off the rails, as I don't have many suggestions. The only one I like is Scout (used as a verb). The flavor of the ability would be that the little guys that you cast early are Scouting the lay of the battlefield and relaying the information back which gives the big guys an advantage when they enter the field.

I think a better mechanic for the word Inspire would be to work like a temporary buff:

Inspire - All other troops you control with cost equal to or less than this troops cost gain <Whatever they gain: Attack, Defense, Keyword, etc.>

It just makes more sense to me. The Big guys Inspire the Little guys, but only while they're in play. Basically everyone becomes demoralized when the Big guy is killed.

------
Some CMOA: I understand that a group of people can Inspire a single individual, but I think the word Inspire is more evocative of a single person Inspiring a group of people (mostly drawing from movies and TV shows when a character gives a rousing speech).

ossuary
08-02-2013, 07:02 AM
I understand what you're saying, but that would make battle hoppers ridiculous.

Remember, cost does not equal strength. They are inspiring because they give inspiration to other troops. That is the only definition they are using. The relative power of the troops in question is not relevant. Little troops can have big powers (think Royal Assassin).

The size of the troop is not the important part, it's their characteristics that make them inspiring. Think of it like the noble class (the non-inbred, non-evil kind) inspiring the common troops to do better on the battlefield - like a good general leading his troops from the front. He may not actually be any more skilled of a fighter than his pikemen, but he inspires them all to fight harder and better because of his courage, and his leadership. That is what the Inspire keyword represents.

Dralon
08-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Perhaps, big guys should be inspired by the little guys. The world would likely be a better place. A CEO who is inspired by the daily dedication and efforts of employees, is one to be watched!

Chiany
08-02-2013, 07:39 AM
A CEO who is inspired by the daily dedication and efforts of employees, is one to be watched!

Sounds like Cory to me :D

Dralon
08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Sounds like Cory to me :D

Couldn't agree more

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Like I've said over at the MTG forums for many years, when it comes to card games such as these, you can usually use flavour to fit the rule with a little imagination. In the case of inspiration, a Ruby Pyromancer enters the fray, under the control of their army's champion, and they see a small, little Kraken Guard Mariner. This little dude who can barely fight (he's a 1/1 after all) is still around, trying to do his part for the cause - whatever his part may be. The Pyromancer sees him, and feels that emotional surge of inspiration at the dedication of his allies - even those who are facing overwhelming foes compared to themselves - and they feel stronger for it (in this case, receiving a +0/+1 boost). This inspirational burst won't allow them to win the war single-handedly, but it will help their individual performance be better in the coming battles.

I'm sure there's a flavour reason why it only applies to bigger troops though. Perhaps it's a two way street - a smaller troop seeing a bigger troop becomes motivated to try and help that bigger troop, by backing them up with support and motivation?

Vorpal
08-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Why on earth wouldn't powerful fighters be inspired to see smaller, weaker fighters still standing, still alive, still in the fray?

The weaker and more easily killed a fighter is, the more people he inspires by his mere survival.

It makes perfect sense.

This is also borne out countless times in history. Look at all the monuments stories or folk tales about the children, women, wounded, disabled, or elderly found in various cities commemorating the inspirational courage of people you wouldn't expect to be found fighting or willing to risk their lives in the first place.

King Saul fighting Goliath isn't inspirational. That's his damn job. It's David fighting Goliath that is the inspiration.

Look at Joan of Arc, or at the Legend of Molly Pitcher. Molly Pitcher didn't get inspired by George Washington because she thought he was so awesome, George Washington was inspired by Molly Pitcher.

Molly Pitcher didn't ask "WOW who is that amazing General who is giving orders to his troops? Talk about going above and beyond!"

Instead George Washington was asking "Who is that incredibly brave civilian woman who was manning a cannon all day in 100 degree heat under enemy fire? "

Hemlock
08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Good mechanics matter more to me than precise flavor. The current Inspire mechanics make for a more engaging game.

If you're looking for "big inspiring the little," though, there's always King Gabriel bolstering his subjects with his power.

Dearthort
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
If you're looking for a different word, I suppose 'scout' would work. The flavor premise being that these troops come in and find defensible, aggressive, or otherwise unique positions that future and better equipped troops could take.

Though I'm with Vorpal, inspire makes plenty of sense already.

Govir
08-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I suppose it's a matter of active inspiration and passive inspiration. When I think of someone as being Inspiring, it's because they're actively trying to be, i.e. giving a speech. But I do agree that a person can be Inspiring passively by just doing their "job" no matter the risks to themselves. They probably don't see themselves as Inspirational, but that doesn't mean other people can't find them Inspirational.

OK Internet, you win this round.

Rapkannibale
08-03-2013, 12:30 AM
As some have already said here, I personally don't think that Inspire contradicts the flavor. Inspiration can take many forms and usually works both ways. For example. Sure, Braveheart inspired his troops during that scene I am sure you all know, but it is likely he himself go inspired tot give that speech by the sight of his troops. :)

Atomzed
08-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Why on earth wouldn't powerful fighters be inspired to see smaller, weaker fighters still standing, still alive, still in the fray?

The weaker and more easily killed a fighter is, the more people he inspires by his mere survival.

It makes perfect sense.

This is also borne out countless times in history. Look at all the monuments stories or folk tales about the children, women, wounded, disabled, or elderly found in various cities commemorating the inspirational courage of people you wouldn't expect to be found fighting or willing to risk their lives in the first place.

King Saul fighting Goliath isn't inspirational. That's his damn job. It's David fighting Goliath that is the inspiration.

I wanted to respond but Vorpal did a very good job in saying what I wanted to say, but did it in better than I can achieved :)

I hope the author Christie Golden can write in the Inspire mechanics into the novel.

Aradon
08-03-2013, 02:34 AM
I think the biggest thing is that reverse inspiration doesn't play very well. If your big guys inspire smaller guys, then you have to play the big guys first, meaning you'll have to hold on to your smaller troops instead of play them on the turns preceding the inspire troop. It could work on a small group of cards at the top of the curve, but it's a wildly different mechanic from the horde mechanic in use right now.

keldrin
08-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Also, think of sports. The cheers of the athletes fans inspire him/her to try harder and do more.
The bigger guys, might well be seen by the smaller troops as heroes here to save the day, and actively cheer their arrival. Their faith and support inspiring the larger guys to fight harder.

nekoangel
08-03-2013, 03:20 AM
i think the size of inspiration isnt really relevant, anyone can be inspired by anyone and to join a battle where your buddies are already around kicking ass would raise my moral for sure, i do however understand whats been said.

perhaps calling it "Rally" would have been better?

Xtopher
08-03-2013, 03:22 AM
There are all kinds of examples from the American Civil War of Generals being moved to great decisions from the inspiration of their troops. I'm sure that's true in most wars, though the ACW is the only one I've studied this deeply.

malloc31
08-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Have you ever seen the movie Rudy?

DrakarT
08-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm waiting for the equivalent for the MTG slivers :D

Syeblaze
08-03-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm waiting for the equivalent for the MTG slivers :D

I dunno about the tables you played in... but at my tables, there is no faster way to make yourself a target than playing a single sliver.

LuckyHex
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
At first I thought a word like "loyalty" or something along those lines would make more sense for this effect.
Reading all the comments made me change my mind though (and I think "inspire" is a pretty badass name for a card effect)

Kates
08-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Have you ever seen the movie Rudy?

Precisely! I thought this the entire time I was reading this thread! :D. It makes perfect sense to me that smaller troops inspire larger ones in terms of both game play and the etymology of the word inspire. I think a better word for what the OP is describing where heavy hitters "inspire" little guys might be trail blazing or something like that. I think Aradon makes a great point that a hiccup in the reverse inspiration idea is that it's difficult to have the big guys pave the way for the little guys.