PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con Decklists

Shaqattaq
08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Here you'll find the lists for all the decks you'll see at the Gen Con LAN.

http://hextcg.com/gen-con-decklists/

Hemlock
08-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Hoo boy. A ton of cards have changed since we last saw them, and there are a few new ones as well... Fantastic update!

The_Wine_Gnat
08-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Hoo boy. A ton of cards have changed since we last saw them, and there are a few new ones as well... Fantastic update!

Agreed! Looking forward to spending some time on these tonight.

self1sch
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
New Art for:

Necessary Sacrifice
Bucktooth Commander
Burn
Ragefire
Doppelgadget

New Cards:
Arena Brawler
Bombsmith
Spiderspawn (kinda)

Like the new tap icon btw. :)

edit:
Text changes:

Savage Raider
Blood Cauldron Ritualist

hammer
08-02-2013, 01:01 PM
New Art for:

Necessary Sacrifice
Bucktooth Commander
Burn
Ragefire
Doppelgadget

New Cards:
Arena Brawler
Bombsmith

Like the new tap icon btw. :)

We had seen the new rage fire art before albeit low res.
Love the Burn Art that is a seriously good upgrade!

Hemlock
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Looks like most of the changes are a point of attack or defense here and there. Doppelgadget and a few others got their costs reduced.

It looks like the biggest revamp is Technical Genius, which looks like the new Journeyman Technician. Probably a good move, considering how many of us were all set to abuse it in PVE...

E: Wow, looks like they changed Blood Cauldron Ritualist pretty hard as well. 3 cost, +4/+4 for each sacrificed troop. Jeezy creezy.

mmimzie
08-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Card updates as of this article

ruby just got more terrifying
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ArenaBrawler.png

and so did ruby/saphire artifacts
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Bombsmith.png

also Veteran Gladiator(formerly known as rage monger) doesn't have speed
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/VeteranGladiator.png

Lots of new art too
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/BucktoothCommander.png

and blood bunnies!!!!
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/BattleHopper_Blood.png

inspiration engine doesn't come into play tapped anymore
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Spiderspawn.png

pact of pain is now nerfed
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/PactOfPain.png

blood cauldron ritualist nerf
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/BloodCauldronRitualist.png

tech genius is the new journeyman tech
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/TechnicalGenius.png

teasel
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
i guess blood cauldron ritualist got nerfed because otherwise he was just a smaller and easier to use mushwocky and you don't want the poor mushwocky to feel sad for something he's supposed to eat right?

are these going to be the same as the starter deck you'll be able to pick when the game launch?

Hemlock
08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
You call that a nerf to the ritualist? It just got its ability doubled. I'd say that's worth the extra cost.

E: Ah, wait, I see. Not stackable.

Xarek
08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Doppelgadget is a new card I believe, different text to Dopplegadget.

hammer
08-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I am loving the card art in hex - it is superb!

self1sch
08-02-2013, 01:28 PM
I am loving the card art in hex - it is superb!

agree, there are just a few which I don't like as much, but these are exceptions.

The cards in this higher resolution look just great.

Uru
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Doppelgadget is a new card I believe, different text to Dopplegadget.

Nah, it's a redesign to the same card. "Doppel-" is just a play on "Doppelganger," indicating that it copies artifacts. Apparently they nerfed it, which is good; I was a little afraid of the crazy combo potential it had in its previous incarnation.

Estar1
08-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Inferno went up +1 cost to 4. The token genrated by elizabeth and poca have gone down 1 cost (for the blaze elemental was probably getting too many insipire triggers)

Also Worker Bot Factory works very diffrently then previously revealed

Icepick
08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I wonder if any of these are going to be the actual starter decks available when the game launches.

hammer
08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I wonder if any of these are going to be the actual starter decks available when the game launches.

Possible - I think they said the starter decks would all be single shard.

Rycajo
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Now I am very jealous of Gencon attendees. Alpha can't come soon enough.

Definitely approve of the change to the Technician. A 1 shard cost reducer was too good to be true. Makes me wonder what else (outside of these decks) has been modified.

nekoangel
08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
the blaze elemental change could be linked to being able to be triggered along side cerulean mirror knight or another inspire card weve yet to see.

also happy with the changes they've made to the cards, worker bot factory is still flavorful and easier to use.
wont complain that lord alexander is 2/2 now =)

Mindless
08-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Very nice to see hires cards and some changes and new ones but for us that ain't going to gencon this is just baiting :S.

theeliminator
08-02-2013, 03:15 PM
So how will they determine what color battle hopper you get? (Cause there was a Blood and a Wild in those decks) Will it just be based off of your threshold?

Also does inspire effect a card before it has a chance to have it's own power take affect? like in the case of the Sniper, who deals damage = to his attack to a target troop.

knightofeffect
08-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd change the text on Chimera Guard Outrider to read "While the troop is attacking" instead of "When this troop attacks" so that it synergizes better with quick actions such as Radiant Armor

nicosharp
08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Tonight I will shed a tear for artifact decks and the Journeyman Technician.

lucedes
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
journeyman technician was broken, and they figured that out pretty quick.

still, technical genius might be better for more fair decks anyway, because a 1/3 body is a relevant blocker in a long-game deck. it's an interesting comparison to etherium sculptor (not an artifact itself, but +1 toughness makes it more combat relevant).

__X__
08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I believe whatever shard color is the source of the hopper is what color you'll get (Wretched Brood will give Blood hoppers, Runts of the Litter gives Wild).

nicosharp
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM

still, technical genius might be better for more fair decks anyway, because a 1/3 body is a relevant blocker in a long-game deck. it's an interesting comparison to etherium sculptor (not an artifact itself, but +1 toughness makes it more combat relevant).
All true

Shaqattaq
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I'd change the text on Chimera Guard Outrider to read "While the troop is attacking" instead of "When this troop attacks" so that it synergizes better with quick actions such as Radiant Armor

This is a great comment! The R&D team liked it very much. Consider it done and everyone on the team sends their thanks.

I believe whatever shard color is the source of the hopper is what color you'll get (Wretched Brood will give Blood hoppers, Runts of the Litter gives Wild).

This is correct.

BenStoll
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
i guess blood cauldron ritualist got nerfed because otherwise he was just a smaller and easier to use mushwocky and you don't want the poor mushwocky to feel sad for something he's supposed to eat right?

are these going to be the same as the starter deck you'll be able to pick when the game launch?

Correct! This is exactly why we made the change :)

BenStoll
08-02-2013, 05:11 PM
So how will they determine what color battle hopper you get? (Cause there was a Blood and a Wild in those decks) Will it just be based off of your threshold?

Also does inspire effect a card before it has a chance to have it's own power take affect? like in the case of the Sniper, who deals damage = to his attack to a target troop.

Yes, the inspire happens as the troop enters play--so inspire effects that increase the ATK of your Sniper will increase his damage output when he enters play.

Rycajo
08-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the quick official words. You treat the community well.

The bigger body on the technical genius will really help that deck against ruby aggro. Before, the artifact player would need to trade to avoid being run over. Now the technical genius rocks the Savage Orc (who must attack into him). Nice.

Malicus
08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
I like a lot of the changes and <3 CZE for the quick responses. Some of the art on those cards looks amazing and I really like that they are doing the different shard battle hoppers. Hope the gen con attendees have a ton of fun playing these because I can't wait to get my hands on them.

theeliminator
08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks Ben. Can I also make request for more mushroom troops? Would love to make a deck of just killer shrooms.

OutlandishMatt
08-02-2013, 10:24 PM
A little disappointed there isn't a straight Wild deck. :-(

Also, I'm assuming hungry is going to be a known keyword? I see The Mushwocky has the asterisk next to it but never explains the text. I'm going out on a limb and assuming that I will be able to hover over that asterisk or click on it and it will display text explaining what hungry is. I'm also assuming hungry = not previously buffed.

SixSevenSix
08-03-2013, 12:11 AM
What happened to the flavor text? All the cards shown don't have any, even "*The Mushwocky is always hungry" is gone while the * is still on the action.

Rapkannibale
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Great to see all these changes! I've updated the wiki (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/) with most of these changes and new images (although some of the images seem to be stuck in cache or something).

Also, did anyone else notice that none of the card images in the decklists have any flavor text? Even ones that used to have flavor text? What's up with that? :)

Edit: Lol Six, you ninja'ed me. :)

Edit 2: When did the attack symbol change from two crossed swords to an axe? Was that a recent change?

Chiany
08-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Great to see all these changes! I've updated the wiki (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/) with most of these changes and new images (although some of the images seem to be stuck in cache or something).

Also, did anyone else notice that none of the card images in the decklists have any flavor text? Even ones that used to have flavor text? What's up with that? :)

Edit: Lol Six, you ninja'ed me. :)

Edit 2: When did the attack symbol change from two crossed swords to an axe? Was that a recent change?

Most recent build had a bug that made the flavor text not show up... just a temp thing. The Mushwocky is still hungry.

just a bug

Atomzed
08-03-2013, 12:57 AM

It happened 1 or 2 updates ago. In fact someone made a thread saying they prefer the sword to th axe.

I personally like the axe as it is cleaner.

Khazrakh
08-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Seeing Murder in high res I have to say I really LOVE that artwork! Blood in general is looking really good to me.
Great update!

SlasherZet
08-03-2013, 04:36 AM
I noticed there are Ardent and Underworld cards together in decks. I was under the impression that they are exclusive, eg. only Ardent + neutral or only Underworld + neutral. Is that not the case? Or is that for PvP only?

Otherwise, great work, can't wait to test Alpha!

snarvid
08-03-2013, 04:57 AM
I noticed there are Ardent and Underworld cards together in decks. I was under the impression that they are exclusive, eg. only Ardent + neutral or only Underworld + neutral. Is that not the case? Or is that for PvP only?

Otherwise, great work, can't wait to test Alpha!

Not exclusive.

Your champs will have an affiliation, based on race, that will drive PVE content (good/evil dungeons) and some cards have different actions to different factions, but afaik nothing else.

You can ally with different in-game factions, and that IS exclusive, but not along Ardent/Underworld lines.

SlasherZet
08-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Seems kinda odd, them working together really!

Zoelef
08-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Some thoughts on each deck as I won't be able to play with them at GenCon and don't mind being proven wrong later:

<Lots of deletions>

After rereading all the cards with a clear head, Legionnaire of Gawaine in the 'Lady Elizabeth Stewart' deck represents the single instance of mass creature removal among the six decks listed. All the other decks have to answer for a turn-5 Legionnaire that destroys all of their weenies, or a late-game topdecked Legionnaire that legitimately sweeps their side of the board. Even though the D/R deck has no card draw and the Sapphire deck has Argus™, my money's on the Lady.

A_e-n
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Great update. Can't wait to see these decks in action.

Artwork on some of these cards = jaw-dropping (Burn & Murder especially)

Mindless
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I was just looking through the decks and got stuck at Uzume, the grand concubunny. First of all her ability: "at the start of your turn, create a random non-unique shin'hare." don't states where her troops are created. Do the end up in your hand or do they go straight into play? I assume they don't enter your graveyard :).

Also thinking of other "ultimate" troops and espacially the other one in wild (Jadiim) she seems like a very bad play for her cost and stats. After all there haven't been revealed any strong shin'hare troop to begin with.

Chiany
08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I was just looking through the decks and got stuck at Uzume, the grand concubunny. First of all her ability: "at the start of your turn, create a random non-unique shin'hare." don't states where her troops are created. Do the end up in your hand or do they go straight into play? I assume they don't enter your graveyard :).

Also thinking of other "ultimate" troops and espacially the other one in wild (Jadiim) she seems like a very bad play for her cost and stats. After all there haven't been revealed any strong shin'hare troop to begin with.

We still not know alot of set 1 cards, and maybe set 2 and so on bring something nasty.

Bernado
08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
The art on most of the cards is wonderful indeed.
I have to try the game, but still I'm a bit sceptic of a card game where decks need about 40% of the cards just to play the rest of the cards.
I hope the alpha will prove my mistake.

Ashenor
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Looking forward to trying these next weekend.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Some thoughts on each deck as I won't be able to play with them at GenCon and don't mind being proven wrong later:

<Lots of deletions>

After rereading all the cards with a clear head, Legionnaire of Gawaine in the 'Lady Elizabeth Stewart' deck represents the single instance of mass creature removal among the six decks listed. All the other decks have to answer for a turn-5 Legionnaire that destroys all of their weenies, or a late-game topdecked Legionnaire that legitimately sweeps their side of the board. Even though the D/R deck has no card draw and the Sapphire deck has Argus™, my money's on the Lady.
To be fair, the mono-ruby aggro deck is similar in build to the one that's been playtested, and can easily win by turn 5. Throw in that it can push through the last points of damage without board-state if it were to get cleared, and it's even stronger. Then toss in that it also has the most removal out of the decks, so it can potentially keep the Legionnaire off inspire triggers, thus stopping the sweep.

I'd be surprised if the mono-ruby deck didn't end up being the standout.

Mercadian
08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Looks like two new decks are being added to the Gen Con decks " Both the Coyotle Sapphire deck and the Orc Ruby deck will be added to our Gen Con server! We're going to add them to the Gen Con list of decks later today"

Shaqattaq
08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Decks are updated.

Champions are

Herczeg - Orc Warrior
2 Blood Threshold
Basic: 4 Charges - Pay 2 health, draw a card

Feather Drifting Downriver - Coyotle Mage
2 Sapphire Threshold
Basic: 3 Charges - Target troop gets permanent flight

Malicus
08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Ancestors chosen is very nice - well I guess what I am saying is those spectres are very nice, very low cost - potentially drawing into a lot of them if you get a couple of chosen in your opening hand.

Buccaneer could play quite nicely with inspire decks, kicking back cards and even with the escalated cost potentially inspiring previously uninspired cards. 2 Buccaneers which keep ramping each other would be quite interesting too.

The list seems to be a bit different from what we saw in the stream though, I forget what it is called now but wasn't there an action which returned the troop to owners hand and escalated cost by 2.

Rage stacking is very nice and some interesting possibilities with the new orcs.

HyenaNipples
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Lots of sweet looking cards in there.

BlindMan
08-09-2013, 09:21 PM
The list seems to be a bit different from what we saw in the stream though, I forget what it is called now but wasn't there an action which returned the troop to owners hand and escalated cost by 2.

I think it was Time Ripple.

Chiany
08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I think it was Time Ripple.

It was, maybe its replaced by Countermagic since I didnt see Dan draw that once.

iscariotrex
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Just saw the update to the decklists aarticle, and man do I love the Ancestor's Chosen. I can't wait to see what the equipment does for it.

Chiany
08-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Just saw the update to the decklists aarticle, and man do I love the Ancestor's Chosen. I can't wait to see what the equipment does for it.

I really want to see the equipment of these new cards, so I cn start writing articles about it from pve p.o.v.

LargoLaGrande
08-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I was wondering if there was going to be a Man O' War (http://magiccards.info/vi/en/37.html). I thought it would be too good.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Ancestors Chosen will probably see competitive play if a sapphire/x control deck ends up running about. It comes out for only 1 mana, and on turn 1 the control player likely isn't needing their mana, and then playing the summoned Specter (when you draw it, of course) is incredible value - its an above curve, evasive beater that provides card advantage.

Estar1
08-10-2013, 10:06 AM
The decks listed dont seem to be exactly the ones in the twitch video, the Orc deck used Suppresive Fire (two target creatures cant block this turn), and the sapphire deck used Time ripple.

Bossett
08-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I've pulled together those lists into one blog post, to take advantage of mouseovers and put it on one more readable (to me) page, if anyone is interested: http://hexmetrics.ni.tl/blog/n/gencon-decklists.

Rycajo
08-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Nice work Bosset. The listing is easier to read th

You might want to fix it up though, some of the mouse-over links aren't working. I'm getting a "card not found" on:

Veteran Gladiator
Inspiration Engine Plans
Zoltog
Furious Task Master's name pulls up but no information or picture

Also, the Battle Hopper - Blood is linking to the Wild one.

Bossett
08-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I've fixed those, but Veteran Gladiator and Furious Task Master were missing from the wiki (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/); which is where I source my data - so they're not in (I also moved Zoltog in the wiki, to be consistent with other cards).

Nice work Bosset. The listing is easier to read th

You might want to fix it up though, some of the mouse-over links aren't working. I'm getting a "card not found" on:

Veteran Gladiator
Inspiration Engine Plans
Zoltog
Furious Task Master's name pulls up but no information or picture

Also, the Battle Hopper - Blood is linking to the Wild one.

Update: They will work a bit later - seems there's some rate-limiting going on and I don't want to annoy the people running gamepedia.

Patrigan
08-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I've fixed those, but Veteran Gladiator and Furious Task Master were missing from the wiki (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/); which is where I source my data - so they're not in (I also moved Zoltog in the wiki, to be consistent with other cards).

Update: They will work a bit later - seems there's some rate-limiting going on and I don't want to annoy the people running gamepedia.

Veteran Gladiator used to be named Rage Monger. So made a few changes there. I also made some moves for the sources / shards so you could technically also link those.

As Bossett mentioned, if you notice cards missing, check the wiki (link (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com)) and feel free to make updates where applicable! All cards seem to appear properly to me, so everything seems to work?

Thanks for all the changes Bossett.

knightofeffect
10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
This is a great comment! The R&D team liked it very much. Consider it done and everyone on the team sends their thanks.

This is correct.

Oh wow, I just noticed this change on the final card in the spoiler but had never come back to read this comment. I must say I'm pretty flattered =D.

If I had seen this, I wouldn't have waited so long to make my card ideas and concepts thread =P.