PDA

View Full Version : "Powerleveling" deck theory

blockinfinite
08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Theoretically, depending on how the games PvE difficulty is, wouldnt a burn deck / "goblin" deck / any kind of rush deck be most suitable for leveling and doing PvE tasks? People could, regardless of what deck they want to play in endgame pve/pvp, could most logically grind through the pve by playing a really fast easy RDW-style deck. Unless the unlocks you get from finishing a PvE match directly impact the deck you USED.

Hemlock
08-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I imagine taking the opponent down as fast as possible will be the name of the game for most PvE content. A ruby-orc-style deck would certainly work, but a lot of people have been working on some rather obscene strategies for obtaining win conditions, consistently, in the first few turns.

Hopefully, some unusual rules or challenging raids will demand non-burn/rush strategies.

vulture27
08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I imagine taking the opponent down as fast as possible will be the name of the game for most PvE content. A ruby-orc-style deck would certainly work, but a lot of people have been working on some rather obscene strategies for obtaining win conditions, consistently, in the first few turns.

Hopefully, some unusual rules or challenging raids will demand non-burn/rush strategies.

This is my concern with a typical burn/sligh/red deck wins strategy. Those decks are designed to do exactly 20 damage as quick as possible to avoid the late game. If a PVE opponent has any sort of opening board position that forces the game to go long you will have serious trouble. For example, a large starting life total (a safe bet this will show up as it requires little effort on CZE's part to give the computer an advantage), any sort of deliberate or accidental lifegain (Eternal Youth / Glimmerglen Witch / etc.), the computer having lots of cheap mass removal (1 or 2 damage to all creatures most likely), or the computer starting with a bunch of battle hoppers / small token creatures.

As for the degenerate combo decks, I think they are going to be somewhat impractical. They will no doubt have high win rates, but at what expense of real time? Offline you can easily say, "I gain infinite mana, draw all but three cards of my deck, and play every spell in my hand. GG." In a digital world against a computer, you may have to go through hundreds of mouse clicks to get to the point when you win, even if it is only turn 2-3. If there is a combo deck that can use "tutor" effects (search for a specific card in your deck) then maybe this will be the best of both worlds.

My bet is on some form of mid-range deck being the overall best option. Heavily creature based, a few removal spells, and a couple big finishers or scaling cards (Jadiim vs Orson's Dream).

Edit:
Here is a potential list including zero rares (people's collections will vary a lot in the beginning, but commons and uncommons should be accessable to most): http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?s=18,29,54,61,62,78,82,93,95,140,166&qt=3,4,4,4,4,4,4,10,16,3,4

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-08-2013, 03:09 AM
While a rush deck may theoretically make things faster, it also has the downside of running into enemy mechanics that aren't available to them that can stone-wall their efforts, as well as decks in general that just outright beat them.

While the champ/merc you're trying to level will have a big say in what the best deck to level that champ is (for example, some synergies between champs and cards may just make one archetype or another too good to ignore), but there are a couple combo decks floating around that will be able to beat any opponent that isn't running counterspells, even without champ/merc support.

gohan661
08-12-2013, 05:06 PM
The game isent even in alpha and you're talking about rushing through the content... Are you actually being serious?

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-12-2013, 05:57 PM
The game isent even in alpha and you're talking about rushing through the content... Are you actually being serious?
I know I'm serious about rushing through levelling, or to rephrase it to my intent, making levelling as efficient a process as possible. With 10 different classes of champ and a buttload of mercs within the game, levelling as many as possible will give you the edge when it comes to encounters as each different encounter is likely going to have optimal decks to use against it, which will have optimal mercs/champs to use alongside them.

When a new raid comes out in a future patch, I don't want to be kicking myself because I failed to level, say, a warlock, which happens to be the ideal class to use with the deck I'd be using for that raid. ;-)

For the record, it's a competitive mindset not everyone will understand. I actually levelled through Pandaria in WoW in under a day when MoP came out, as I wanted to get as much time as I could for the next week (or was it two? I can't remember) to gear up for raids.

Turtlewing
08-16-2013, 02:23 PM
The main thing about PvE content is that the rules aren't always the same.

Both raids and dungeons can have special mechanics like starting with cards in play, different damage models, etc.

The most obvious use of that would be to make content that can't easily be cleared by "brute force" decks like your typical rush/burn/aggro deck.