PDA

View Full Version : Guild Features in HEX! What’s important to you!

Cory_Jones
08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Hello, Cory here…

So as I was noodling through the Guild GDD and adding bits and pieces to the features and functionality, when it dawned on me that I should really reach out to the community and get run down on what YOU want! I think the plan we have currently is great with some really fun stuff, and that’s awesome BUT… I want to hear your good ideas. I have to say, if forced to pick two words that describe the HEX community it would be passionate and creative, and I think that has allot to do with the nature of HEX and how it’s trying to invent a new category of game. The members of this community can see the vision of what HEX could be, and seeing that future has allot to do with being creative, so here it is… what features do you want in the guild system? (To be clear, I am not promising to implement these features, reality could step in the way, but I do want to hear your ideas)

Love, Cory

Stok3d
08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Guild GDD - Guild Game Design Document

Cory, I got to say that I'm always Stok3d to read your posts in thread and now you're soliciting for feedback on how the community envisions as the best design for a guild. Thanks!!! I'll share some of my ideas:

Guild Ranks
Default 3
Expandable by Gold Sink Purchase
Can set an "Officer Chat"
Set Message of the Day that guildies read when they log on

Guild Leveling
Experience Point thresholds necessary for guild leveling. These thresholds escalate quickly
Should take around a year to reach top threshold if daily threshold met continuous.
Point Daily Cap for the Guild itself (not individual)
Most points received from winning a game in drafting/tourn/etc PVE and secondary: Guild only PVE End Raid bosses downed.
Reaching a new plateau could unlock a multitude of various things. Note that I said 'unlock'. If Rank 5 unlocks Guild Merc for 3000g, then this is when we can buy this. If Rank 6 allows the guild to have 25x more decks to be stored in the bank or notes to be shown, then this is something we must save for.
Weekly/Monthly/Lifetime Point Contributions is a choosable field to be able to sort in the guild list
Points remain with the guild if individual leaves. Guild changes require individual to restart back at square one.

Guild Player List
Shows Join Date
Shows some type of activity point total
Last Logged
Current activity (drafting/dungeon name/General Channel/etc)
Notification broadcast of log on/off (togglable)
Hidden Officer and GM Only Note

In-Game Calendar
Allows for people to either sign up for an event created
Allows for people to send event attendee requests
Provides in game reminders (15 mins XYZ Begins)

Viewable Treasure Room
Shows the accumulated treasure in vault for Keep Defense
Access Any Stolen Artifacts etc as detailed Here (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26817&page=8&p=282121&viewfull=1#post282121)
All inclusive list of successful Keep Breaches and spoils received

Guild Test Decks
Finite Amount of Deck Storage Capacity
Upgradable Storage Capacity via Gold Sink Purchase
Allow Notebox (possibly mouseover for readability) for Decks
When test deck clicked, can view a history of notes and feedback provided

Chat Functionality
Guild channel with time stamp. ie: 14:47:02 GUILD <Msg>
Officer channel with time stamp.
Chat channels are tabbed at bottom left of screen and can add/delete/assign properties to each
Having say: General/Guild/Keep(defense) on separate Tabs allows ease in noticing if you missed something while in a fight or in a busy General Channel
Ability to right click a private msg and move that person to a new tab

Achievements
Broadcast to the entire guild (togglable)
Notifications when Player wins: Tournament/Draft/PVE Raid/etc (togglable)
Notifications when Guild completes an Achievement along with ability to review achievements in game received and ones yet to complete. ie: Kraken Guild Only Raid (shows date and mouseover shows those guildies who triggered the chieve.
Point Ranking among guilds

Sandbox Tool (bit Off-topic)
Allow for Guild Only as a restriction flag
Allow for Draft as an event type flag
You already stated stated we could add our own prizes in a prior podcast

Auto Guild GM Reassignment
GM inactive for 3+ months then guild reassigned to #2 Rank. If more than 1 person at rank, then it will go to player with the highest activity points at that rank. However, this process is initiated via a request button and everyone in rank #2 is sent in game mail when button pushed. Everyone in rank #2 has one week to hit confirm or they will not be considered for new GM.
Allows for Guilds to remain fresh and those who have so much time invested in earning points in a guild to not fear starting over again if GM goes away

What I do NOT want to see:

Secured Lending
Stocking a guild bank and allowing secure lending via the GB for individual cards or provide ability to play decks in tournaments
Would remove any incentive for people to own their own cards if they were part of a large guild
Would have a negative impact on the economy

Gwaer
08-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Whew, so it's funny you should ask, since we were just thinking about guild systems being a possible gold sink, and those ideas could be scrapped if an additional(or any) gold sink is not required for the economy. I would love to see guild levels, a percentage of each guild members experience could roll over as guild experience, and as the guild levels up you get more access to things. Additional storage slots for decks, possibly the ability to hold an intraguild tournament with just guild decks and have an internal testing environment, high end guilds could potentially give some sort of buff or assistance in pve. One could even potentially implement some guild crafting to bypass some fees or something when crafting. The possibilities are limitless!

I'll give it further thought.

Kroan
08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I would really, reall, REALLY love to be able to have tournaments for guildies only set over a certain amount of time. Or a sort of League for guilds. With the ability to put a prizepool or something.

Also as an extension of the keep defense, why not have guilds have keep defenses aswell. :D

A sort of trade-post for guilds would be nice aswell. Like a bucket where people could put in cards or request cards.

nicosharp
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Awesome, thank you for this opportunity.

My main concerns are with Guild ran tournaments... With that comes my primary concern:

#1 - In-house drafting - The ability to have guild hosted tournaments and guild hosted drafts. Pick order / Card pool limitation / instanced event / deck building restrictions

Instanced competitive events for guilds will be the bread and butter of guild community building events. Having customizable options for anyone in a guild wanting to host an event/tournament will be a big deal, regarding card restrictions, deck restrictions etc. I know getting all these details into a player ran event system can be difficult, and that is why this feature is my only real concern.

AbandonAllHope
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I would love the possibility of organizing in guild tournaments, like bracket matches for example (maybe this feature already Exists).

EDIT: Lol Kroan beat me to the punch

Guild Levels
Maybe the possibility of upgrading guilds to unlock new features that benefit the guild. I haven't thought it all out in detail yet, but some examples would be experience boost.

Example:
Guild Lvl 10 - Increases starting life in PvE by 1
Guild Lvl 20 - Increases exp gain by 1%
etc

Guild levels costs can vary, either it can cost gold, or maybe it will cost something else that can perhaps be obtained in PvE, or maybe boosters (for example Stone)

Keep Defense
Also as Kroan mentioned, Keep defense features for guilds would be interesting as well. This way guilds can even contribute to their "keep defense" by spending gold, or maybe other ways of contributing to a guilds "keep". We also discussed in another topic how features could be bought with gold that helps with this defense. For example spending 1000 gold a day gives you 5 extra starting life on your guild defense. Spending money to keep the honor for your guild.

Guild Storage:
Most likely there is a storage capacity for cards. What would really be nice would be the possibility to have "decks" in the guild bank that players can "borrow". Basically, they will be selecting a deck, and it will be switched to "in use". Those players will be able to play with the deck, but they will not be able to do anything else with it such as place cards on the AH and such. THis will make it possible for guilds to make decks, place them in the Guild Storage, and "loan" them out to players without any possibility of people stealing those decks. Maybe this can even be done with cards.
Only certain ranked Officers in the guild can actually "take out" a card or deck from the guild storage.
(EDIT: I guess what stoked says about less incentive of individuals wanting to own cards is true, but I was only talking about borrowing decks for PvE, nothing more)

(still thinking of more)

Gwaer
08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd like to be able to chat with guildmates in a browser when I can't actually play the game. If there was a way to integrate that it would be pretty nifty. Lots of potential weaknesses in browser based integration to in-game guild chat, though. That might be a dangerous path to tread.

Gwaer
08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd like to be able to chat with guildmates in a browser when I can't actually play the game. If there was a way to integrate that it would be pretty nifty. Lots of potential weaknesses in browser based integration to in-game guild chat, though. That might be a dangerous path to tread. Or even an APP on my iphone would work. That might be slightly more secure.

AbandonAllHope
08-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Guild Rankings
Perhaps even Guild rankings separate for both factions. I'm not sure how both factions will interact in Hex, if there will be "battles" between these two factions, but perhaps the guild rankings will show it's contribution to protecting its faction, and give it a "ranking" in its respective faction, rewarding it with gifts on a weekly basis (eg, one free booster pack for the guild bank of the highest ranking guild. Shouldn't make the gifts too grand). There could be 7 "ranks" within a faction, like General, Vice General, etc, where the guild master of the respective Guild holds that position. Rankings would probably be based on Guild Level/size.

Faction Guild Wars
This might even provide some sort of war among both factions every so often, where the 7 guild masters use their decks to fight the opposing 7 guild masters, and the winning faction would be rewarded some buff for a day or 2 (eg 1% more gold drop, or 1% more experience). This way Guilds can "fight" for a sense of pride, but the benefit will be provided to everybody in their respective faction rather than only their guilds.

Icepick
08-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see some kind of Guild storage, that would let you put cards in for other members of the guild to take freely. On top of that, some kind of rank-based permission system that stops new members just clearing out the bank and leaving. This would at the very least allow you to limit ranks to a number of cards per day, and perhaps limiting what rarity of cards can be taken.
On top of that, an "emergency recall" option might be nice. This would essentially allow you to reverse any cards taken by a specific player in the last (for example) 24 hours, returning them to the guild bank. This helps protect against situations where a high-ranking member of the guild falls out with everyone and decides to clean the place out and jump ship.

The ability to store deck lists (separate from the actual cards themselves) in here could be useful too.

HyenaNipples
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Guild Achievements!

Inter-Guild Tournaments!

Miwa
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
My only request is that they'll be not required to do stuff. Or given any sort of special citizen rating. Or rankings. I'll have the usual small one that the same group of friends create everywhere, as a convenient way to share stuff, or chat. (loaded with GK, and PP players :P)

Special drafts, or any stuff like that should be available to any group of players that wants to get together and do something, and not be relegated to guilds only. Regular players shouldn't feel herded into guilds to get free gameplay.

Gwaer
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Even small guilds should be able to get all the stuff eventually, it's just a matter of investment, naturally a larger group of people all grinding out guild levels should do it faster than a smaller group of people just playing the game.

MoikPEI
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
One thing I find myself doing consistently in any guild of any game I play is to say "Buy these things:..." to my guildmates. In Guild Wars 2 I kept daily soundings of which "Bags of ..." would pop out materials worth more than the bag's average listing price. It was a popular resource.

I would like to be able to curate a guild-visible shopping list, accessible off my profile, which shows a set of selected AH listings with notes for why the guildee should buy them. Ex, I would want to be able to flag Pack Raptors and note "OP vs Vennen-Raid4 Boss, can farm it" or flag CraftingMat28 and note "Used for Blade of the Woodstalker, Crush OP since patch 1.04, need for all Shin'Hare raids". It would be a combination of "Recommended" or "Other Shoppers Also Bought" style functions on webstore plus a single review comment.

MastrFett
08-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I would like to add my list which is in agreement to a lot of the things here.

-Guild Tournaments
-Guild War system (Either tournament or like a round robin system where people from two guilds can battle
-Guild Calendar
-Guild Message of the Day
-Guild chat in browser or app
-Guild player/officer notes

ShadowTycho
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Guild GDD - Guild Game Design Document

A bunch of stuff i agree with[/b

[B]Secured Lending
Stocking a guild bank and allowing secure lending via the GB for individual cards or provide ability to play decks in tournaments
Would remove any incentive for people to own their own cards if they were part of a large guild

Secured lending
lets guilds work together to amass wealth and help each other
lets a guild pool its resources to address problems(like equipping people for war that everyone seems so hot to trot for)
Lets guild members help each other without direct requests for need
people will make this anyway if its not implemented, leading to unsecured cards or burned out guild treasurers
Would not effect the economy
Lent cards should be banned from tournament use

zadies
08-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I had thought lending premade decks was already in. I could see lending individual cards that are above rare could possibly be an issue I think secure lending of common-rare cards individually and even legendaries in premade decks as long as the decks aren't disassemble would also be fine. Just limit the number of cards that can be borrowed individually at a time.

ShadowTycho
08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Guild quest The guild leader chooses to embark on a quest, think king arthur and his knights. during the next period(lunar cycle because it sounds cool) tasks are generated for guild members based on the quest chosen. players complete tasks and in so doing further the quest of the guild. Eventually if the guild works hard enough and completes enough epic deeds in the time frame, they complete the quest and are rewarded!
no idea on the reward. just sounds like a awesome group activity.

Guild activity web interface like those things that let you see if people are using the team speak through the web browser, just let me see who is online.

Guild Challenges Like horse in basket ball, you complete some bit of content with a deck and then put some gold down on people not being able to do it. guildies can take your bet and see if they have the skill you have, using the same deck and gear can they pull off what you did?

Stok3d
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Secured lending
lets guilds work together to amass wealth and help each other
lets a guild pool its resources to address problems(like equipping people for war that everyone seems so hot to trot for)
Lets guild members help each other without direct requests for need
people will make this anyway if its not implemented, leading to unsecured cards or burned out guild treasurers
Would not effect the economy
Lent cards should be banned from tournament use

Let me pose this example and I'm going to use the guild I'm in: Clan Blackblade. We are approaching 200 members, have a producer who gets 4x of every card Day1, and have many hundreds of KS tiers secured. Within a month of beta release, it would be nothing for us to dump say 250x complete Sets into a guild bank under your current proposal. With secure lending, we could effectively bring in a thousand ppl into the guild and allow them to play whatever they wish whenever they wish without owning a single card. They would simply need to check in their deck when done and since not everyone would on at the same time--the numbers could be supported.

I know how good this idea sounds in theory, but the rub is that it would destroy our economy and new ppl would only join large guilds to play for free. This isn't good for the CZE business model and it isn't good for the longevity of the game.

Mokog
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Thematically I would like to see guilds treated like merchant organizations. Each Account is a keep and the guild could be represented as a Hall customizable by the guild master for gold. This way each member can enter their guild hall and have a unique visual as well as features.

Guild Quests: Have member generated requests posted on a job board and solicited requests across guilds. (Sometimes the millionaire player just wants to hire an adventurer to kill the kraken while he goes back to play the auction house.)

Guild Tabard for games showing the guild symbol next to a players name and/or name plate.

Guild Mercenaries: Special Mercs available to guild members after the guild has completed a special task or achievement.

Guild related personal Keep upgrades: Sometimes you want to rock the guild banner across your tower wall. Maybe the guild builds a special building in your keep that aides in keep defense.

Guild Draft Cubes. You know you want to.

ShadowTycho
08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Let me pose this example and I'm going to use the guild I'm in: Clan Blackblade. We are approaching 200 members, have a producer who gets 4x of every card Day1, and have many hundreds of KS tiers secured. Within a month of beta release, it would be nothing for us to dump say 250x complete Sets into a guild bank under your current proposal. With secure lending, we could effectively bring in a couple thousand ppl into the guild and allow them to play whatever they wish whenever they wish without owning a single card. They would simply need to check in their deck when done.

I know how good this idea sounds in theory, but the rub is that it would destroy our economy and new ppl would only join large guilds to play for free. This isn't good for the CZE business model and it isn't good for the longevity of the game.

see i don't see that happening, and that is because i don't see me being able to securely lend a card to more then one person at a time. it largely based on conjecture as well
If there is one copy of a legendary in the guild bank, the bank can lend one legendary... like books in a library.
libraries can have quite a few books, but the really interesting rare ones still have a waiting list.

Using your example, if you producer put a play set of legendaries int eh guild bank... he would have to get more copies to use them himself and only 4 legendaries would be in the guild bank for 200 people.
if you're entire guild put in 250 complete sets then 250 people could join your guild and play with complete sets perfectly without overlap... provided all your members have complete sets.
the way i would see it implemented guild lending would not and should not increase the number of cards in existence. also i don't think you should be able to lend to the guild securely... only the guild lending to you securely. if you give a book to the library its a library book, and people can borrow it... but if you move you don't get your book back and it certainly isn't your book anymore.
We could say that if you rent a card it has to stay out for a day... or maybe a week. they cant just turn the decks back in can they?
regardless, pvp value of cards will not be destabilized by a constant force like this. it will hit a equilibrium one that might be lower then it was before.
And at the very worst, are you suggesting that having players playing and building a community with each other based on mutual respect and sharing is bad?

And even if its not secure lending, my guild (who also has 100+ members) have been talking about how we want to be able to donate packs to new players in the guild and build up a giant stash of commons so we can all make pauper decks for new member and the like.

funktion
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I'll just start off by saying: I don't disagree with a single proposal Stok3d has made here. While I might not personally want some of those things, I can see why some people would and I think they're all some pretty good ideas. I also want to emphasize his concern that I REALLY REALLY do not want to see some sort of library type feature where you can borrow cards from the guild bank, he hit the nail on the head. If you just join a mega-guild there would never ever be any need to own a single card...

IN FACT, I want to emphasize this further, I don't think guild banks really belong in the game in the form we are familiar with from other MMO's. There's WAY too much room for ninja looting type activity and when the cards are much more closely related to real currency as they are in a TCG I think this becomes more and more dangerous for the community and the game. On the flip side, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the idea that you can put deck lists into the guild catalog for playtesting.

On that note, simulating things like that which we already have in real life for team building would be great. What we already know if is basically an endorsed version of playtesting with proxies, GREAT!

Anyhow on to my suggestions:
-Bulletin Board: The model of having a static "message of the day" seems outdated for guilds. Being able to have a bulletin board style front page for the guild would be awesome. The officer(s) would be able to enable who could attach sticky notes to it etc... and people could add a wanted list for a couple specific cards for their deck, a link to an awesome video, a shout out to a fellow member, all kinds of things that just build the social aspect of the game. I hope this made sense, having something where it's just one generic message that ends up getting left up for weeks seems really clunky to me. Make it come alive!

-Be able to form "teams": If you're in a large guild you might not necessarily interact with everyone in it, for that matter there might be people from outside of your guild that are part of your playtest group. Personally I enjoy being in really large guilds for the fun social "melting pot" aspect but I like to have the close-knit group of 4-10 people that I actually play with. Being able to form your own teams and have rivalries etc would be cool. Some might say that this seems too much like a "guild within a guild" or some weird Inception thing... but I think it would serve a purpose, I know it would for me.

To further touch on that... I think you should be able to limit who is able to see decks you've made available for playtesting. I enjoy being in larger sized guilds, but the thought of some random person who just joined being able to see the deck I'm playtesting and prepping for the next BIG tournament definitely rubs me in a funny way. Without a visibility feature there's too much potential for someone to make an alt account and just scout out what all the other top players are going to be wielding ahead of time.

Those are a couple of the bigger things which I've thought of so far. Thanks a ton for opening this up for community input Cory, that's really awesome of you guys to do! SOOOO EXCITED!!!!

Grissnap
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
-Be able to form "teams": If you're in a large guild you might not necessarily interact with everyone in it, for that matter there might be people from outside of your guild that are part of your playtest group. Personally I enjoy being in really large guilds for the fun social "melting pot" aspect but I like to have the close-knit group of 4-10 people that I actually play with. Being able to form your own teams and have rivalries etc would be cool. Some might say that this seems too much like a "guild within a guild" or some weird Inception thing... but I think it would serve a purpose, I know it would for me.

To further touch on that... I think you should be able to limit who is able to see decks you've made available for playtesting. I enjoy being in larger sized guilds, but the thought of some random person who just joined being able to see the deck I'm playtesting and prepping for the next BIG tournament definitely rubs me in a funny way. Without a visibility feature there's too much potential for someone to make an alt account and just scout out what all the other top players are going to be wielding ahead of time.

This x1000. I too would be interested in joining a larger guild for the social aspects, but have refrained from doing so because to succeed at a competetive level you really do need a core team to deck test for the meta. If your perfectly sculpted deck is leaked by one of the many members of your guild, the meta will have changed before the tournament starts and all your work has gone to waste. Having the team within a guild allows for a decent rights management scheme for playtest decks (reveal to all, reveal to guild only, reveal to team only, reveal to self only). The idea of having teams within a guild is a perfect idea to deal with that, you can have internal "squads" and rivalries for PvP while at the same time being able to maintain commradery and consistency for PvE portions.

Xenavire
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
For the love of god, be careful what you implement. Existing guilds always have advantages over newly formed guilds, and adding guild perks just add another barrier for new people looking to make their own guild.

Also, if you have exp and levelling make it possible for a small guild to level at the same speed as a large one. Smaller guilds can be more attractive to some people, and they should never be punished for having a small guild.

As for actual ideas - give guilds incentives to participate in events, and get involved with the world. Give us guild vs guild, give us event days for guilds to do fun things.
Give us the equivalent of egg and spoon or sack races, just fun things to promote guild activity.

Overall, a guild should be fun to be a part of. It should feel like your brick and mortar store, with some wacky or interesting things to keep people coming back - a guild should not become a chore.

funktion
08-07-2013, 07:58 PM
For the love of god, be careful what you implement. Existing guilds always have advantages over newly formed guilds, and adding guild perks just add another barrier for new people looking to make their own guild.

I disagree here. It's only a barrier if you're trying to form a zerg guild without much substance (which it seems like most guilds turn out to be). If you're guild is appealing to people they will join (whether it's because you have random perk xyz and they don't actually care about who they're guilded with, or because your guild is doing something unique and interesting).

In most cases having wacky and interesting things within a guild is completely up to the leadership of that guild. If it's something integrated into the software then it's not really something that differentiates them from other guilds since all have access to it.

Xenavire
08-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I disagree here. It's only a barrier if you're trying to form a zerg guild without much substance (which it seems like most guilds turn out to be). If you're guild is appealing to people they will join (whether it's because you have random perk xyz and they don't actually care about who they're guilded with, or because your guild is doing something unique and interesting).

In most cases having wacky and interesting things within a guild is completely up to the leadership of that guild. If it's something integrated into the software then it's not really something that differentiates them from other guilds since all have access to it.

You are wrong. I know from experience - competing against existing guild in a perk filled environment is near impossible. I have seen people offering gold, free boosts, and all sorts of things to try and bribe people into joining, and they end up failing and the guild dies.

WoW is the perfect example, and even when it became MUCH easier to level a guild, the barrier was far too high. New guilds just suffered, and most people just preferred to buy them - it was easier.

So they have to be careful - the barrier to entry for a guild is far worse than for all other aspects of a game.

funktion
08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not wrong, neither are you. It does create a barrier, but is an artificial one. Yes if the only factor of whether someone wants to join a guild is whether that guild has a perk then yes, it is impossible. Fortunately, that's not the only factor. Otherwise how would someone determine what guild they wanted to join if they were both max level.

As a fellow wow player, my observations do not resemble yours in any way. How can that be? There's a sliding scale... that's how. Offering bribes for recruitment is a pretty short-term way to recruit. Either A, the bribes weren't big enough, or B the guild wasn't interesting enough.

zadies
08-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Guild perks only really work that way if they influence a competitive environment if they don't have any actual impact on the pve/pvp tournaments then they really are just perks rather then necessities. Things that actually force people to play together to achieve long term goals are good as long as those goals aren't easily zerged.

And to be completely honest the guild leader perk by itself will alter the landscape of what guild to join much more then a 2% boost to the gold drop rate.

If guild perks are implemented I would much prefer a system like rifts where each level gives points to spend rather then having the perk level locked. Or being able to build/contribute to a project like sto so that the upgrade path can cater to the members of the guild and not be preset.

AbandonAllHope
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
It only creates a barrier if you give perks which are so important for your game play that it just makes it important to have. But if the features obtained from being a bigger guild are just small features that don't hold high value (never increase loot drop rate etc) or aren't considered a must, than it won't be such a big factor if you aren't in a big guild. If it gives minor benefits for PvE, wouldn't that be something acceptable, seeing as players put effort into developing those features. And I'm sure individuals can achieve the same without those features, because all it does is make it a little easier.

As for the speed of leveling, you can also make it based on experience earned rather than gold, or contribution points obtained from PvE/PvP. And you can also make it that the amount of contribution points needed per level are based on the number of members (more contribution required for more members) if you want to give smaller guilds almost the same benefit, but this will might promote guilds to stay small rather than big.

As for Guild Library/Bank, i kind of see it like ShadowTycho sees it. When one person "borrows" a card/deck, nobody else can borrow it. So sure you can have KS players have lots of cards thrown in the bank, but it doesn't mean they will have enough for 200 members to constantly play around with those cards. I can only picture myself making like 10-20 decks, that could never accommodate for 200 members. And I don't see the difference between this and the already existing "hand to hand" lending that people do with their friends/guild. People borrow stuff all the time, only the problem is lots of stuff gets stolen too. This is a more fail safe method of doing this. You can even put a limit on the number of storage space available in the Card Guild bank to like 300 (more at higher levels), making it impossible to make more than 8 decks (for example), meaning only 8 individuals can borrow decks at one given time. There can even be a CD placed on lending decks of 5 hours of sorts. Of course I would never want borrowed decks/cards to be able to be used for PvP.

Chiany
08-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow Cory, great idea to ask for feedback on this.
Lots of great things have already been mentioned, here are my 2 cents:

These are already mentioned, but I support them:

- Guild Ranks: Guilds can decide how many and how they are named.
- Officer and Guild Leader chat
- Message of the Day
- Guild Leveling (like Stok3d mentioned)
- In-Game Calender, with both CZE events in it, but also Guild only events, and a option to toggle them on and off.
- Chat Functionality (like Stok3d mentioned)

My own ideas:

- Guild only tournaments, no CZE sponsored prizes and no entry fees. Maybe limited to say once a month, so not to steal to much income from CZE.
- A small % of your earnings (gold only) are transferred to the Guild Bank (say 1%). This then can be used for repairs (if such a thing exists), or requested to a Guild Bank manager (officer and up for example) to buy a card or whatever.

hoodieblanket
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I posted this on another forum but it could prove to be inspirational:

i'd like to see guilds/communities to have "open lobbies". Essentially similar to fighting games where you simply join an open lobby part of your community and you play your deck, changing cards to refine your build and then keep practicing your strategies. It is basically 'king of the hill'. You have several people in the lobby rotating to challenge the king of the hill. As a person is challenging, the rest of the lobbies are spectators

It removes the stagnation from always vsing the same person (1 person always losing can be a little frustrating to keep going) and at the same time, gives the rest of the lobby something to talk about, get ideas from and inspiration for certain combos and drives interaction/competition

CoS
08-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I would love to see guilds be associated with factions. Similar to the Battletech 2035 MMO/Mech sim where you guild/factions members activity in the universe reflected in your factions control of the universe.

hitchslap88
08-07-2013, 11:15 PM
I posted this on Utopian Chaos forums about a pvp mode, but it could be a way to do "guild wars" as well/instead. It seemed to have been well received by the community:

"Yeah, this idea really has me interested. I thought, why not make it a pvp mode? We were talking about how the game needs to earn its "mmo" title; this may be a way.

Say there were a mode called "Ardent vs Underworld". At the start you choose a champion and the color/s it will have access to. You then receive a certain number of booster packs filled with cards of those colors alone and given five minutes or so to assemble a deck of 30 or 40 cards.

Then, you and 19 other compatriots play 7-8 minute/20 health games against 20 players representing the opposing faction. Each phase of each player's turn will be on a relatively short timer, emphasizing speed. First game is standard, second game gives the victors (the faction with %50+ wins from the first round) an additional card in hand at the start of the next game (representing a push), third game gives the other faction the additional card (representing a rally), and fourth game returns to standard. 1 minute between rounds to modify your deck.

Also, if a certain member of your team acheives a great feat, such as 20-0 their opponent, gaining a certain amount of life, etc., the team receives a token with that player's name on it at the end of the session, redeemable for e.g. an additional pack, currency, or a pve equipment. For example, if Gwaer puts a mill deck together and wins that way, since this is an unusual and difficult method of winning, everyone from his faction would receive "Gwaer's Millstone". Obviously, the better your faction performs, the more of these tokens you'd accumulate. AI pits winners vs winners, losers vs losers, and at the end you receive rewards based upon individual performance with a bonus if you were a member of the victorious faction."

With guilds you could keep the same format but allow constructed decks. The AI would take over for any non-participants on either side. In addition, guilds could ante up their own rewards for the winners if they so choose.

Shadowelf
08-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Hard to add much more after Stok3d's amazing post;

-Guild trophy case/panel
-Guild montly/yearly rankings based on xp points accumulated and major tournament wins
-Sleeves with guild's logo on them
-Guild leagues/championships that run for a period of time (6 months/year)
-Guildies' rankings based on the xp/trophies won for the guild

funktion
08-08-2013, 12:27 AM
-Guild trophy case/panel

Oh that reminds me of something I meant to mention earlier but forgot about... Did any of you ever play civilization 2? I'm sure some of you must have, it was a great game! Anyways I was pretty young when it came out, so the things I was most excited about weren't really related to the game... instead every 50 turns or so or whenever you did something epic you'd be taken to a screen where you could improve your throne room. Really it had zero impact on the game, it was just for looks... but it was awesome.

Having something like that for the guild, a trophy room like you mentioned where you could display some awesome achievements some of which might come with rad artwork / graphics would totally rock!

(pardon any grammatical mistakes here, I'm pretty sleepy)

Icepick
08-08-2013, 04:06 AM
I personally don't want to see any features that disproportionately reward large guilds over small guilds or people who prefer to not join a guild - those people will only see it as them being punished for not joining a large guild. It's easy to forget that a great many players aren't social players - they don't want to join a massive guild or interact with hundreds of people, they just want to log in and play a card game against someone, and don't want to feel like they are being punished for playing that way.

This is the problem with guild systems that have any kind of levelling up - I've played a few games now with systems like this, and I always play with the same small group of friends as a guild. These systems always feel like we are being penalised for not just joining the biggest guild available rather than keeping our small, close-knit group. I think its important to reiterate this, as these kinds of sentiments tend to get lost in the crowd.

Arbiter
08-08-2013, 04:07 AM
This x1000. I too would be interested in joining a larger guild for the social aspects, but have refrained from doing so because to succeed at a competetive level you really do need a core team to deck test for the meta. If your perfectly sculpted deck is leaked by one of the many members of your guild, the meta will have changed before the tournament starts and all your work has gone to waste. Having the team within a guild allows for a decent rights management scheme for playtest decks (reveal to all, reveal to guild only, reveal to team only, reveal to self only). The idea of having teams within a guild is a perfect idea to deal with that, you can have internal "squads" and rivalries for PvP while at the same time being able to maintain commradery and consistency for PvE portions.

I don't think that you can have an elite closet team of 8 to 10 players within a large open guild of 200 without causing friction and eventually some splits. I think a better solution is to allow for guild alliances, so a playtest/PVP guild could ally with a large social guild for some benefits yet the two could remain distinct entities.

Another point, what if guild chat wasn't the lowest chat level. What if "guild lobby", a chat room where the guild leader could set permissions (everyone / certain guilds / certain people with a "not allowed" list) for those allowed in. In the guild alliance scenario, one guild could set the guild lobby to an ally's guild lobby (the ally guild would need to allow them in of course) by default.

I don't want to see players as members of multiple guilds, but I think a good implementation of a guild alliance system can allow a person to find the guild that is right for them without having to miss out on something that they may like because it isn't in their guild.

Arbiter
08-08-2013, 04:28 AM
I don't think there should be any gold sinks in guilds unless the feature being bought is PVE only (for example, the guild hiring - and by hiring could I hope for designing :) - a Mercenary that guild members could use).

The reason is that there will be PVP only guilds, and they should be able to get the benefits and prestige too. Guilds can still consume resources without forcing PVP players to earn or buy gold, simply use something that all players have access to.

If both PVP and PVE cards can be broken down into crafting mats, they potentially make a great basis for costing various Guild features. As an added bonus you are then "building" your guild rather than "buying" it. Costs can still be expensive and require a large effort on the part of the guild, it's just a case of ensuring that some Guilds don't have a harder time than others due to the style of play they focus on.

Xenavire
08-08-2013, 04:52 AM
I just think a guild should start balanced around three people (raiding team minimum) and scale up to hundreds of people. Experience, costs, perks, all should be even across the board.

WoW made many mistakes with this (Mass ress, Exp bonuses, Rep bonuses, Have group will travel) and not having those perks made recruiting for a guild near-impossible. Having been present in several low level guilds, and being a large contributer to said guilds, the only thing that helped small guilds was nerfing the exp needed by a massive amount, so a group as small as five could grind all the way to max level in a month or two.

And being max level was never a guarantee of recruiting people - my favourite guild was a small social guild, who wanted to raid casually on a PvP server. We advertised for months for members, never got enough members to raid. We couldn't compete with the hardcore raiding guilds, or the levelling guilds, or the PvP guilds - we needed a mere handful of active players to hang out with, and couldn't generate enough interest. Established guilds always win, and the only time they don't is when an established raiding team splits off from a larger guild (and I see enough of those fizzle and die too.)

So when you only need three people to play, it should be balanced around that size first, before it kills those groups off.

Dralon
08-08-2013, 05:02 AM
I will echo Stok3d's list. Really most of the ideas here are pretty good.

While I also do not want to see large guilds having a huge advantage over small guilds, I do like the idea of leveling the guild over time to unlock some guild options. This leveling should not be draconinan though, where you need 50 members logging in daily to max out your daily guild xp gain. Something modest that a 5-10 person guild can obtain in a reasonable period of time, I would think 6 months at the longest for even a small guild to max their guild level for unlockable features. If it takes a small guild 2 more months to unlock features a large guild unlocked earlier, that is fine. If it takes 2 years longer for that small guild to unlock those same features, that is not fine.

Large guilds are going to have an advantage for achievements,things that may be tracked through gameplay, like most members, most members entered in tournament "X", first guild to complete "dungeon x" with an all guild group, etc (if even things like this are implemented). That is ok with me as if I am in a small guild, I will know that that limits certain achievements, but should not limit gameplay options significantly or for long

Shadowelf
08-08-2013, 05:26 AM
If both PVP and PVE cards can be broken down into crafting mats, they potentially make a great basis for costing various Guild features. As an added bonus you are then "building" your guild rather than "buying" it. Costs can still be expensive and require a large effort on the part of the guild, it's just a case of ensuring that some Guilds don't have a harder time than others due to the style of play they focus on.

Like this option very much; solves also in a extent the problem that the posts below present ;that large guilds will be easier to level up than smaller ones. You could break excess cards for mats to gain guild xp. It could help bridge the xp gap of large/small guilds

I just think a guild should start balanced around three people (raiding team minimum) and scale up to hundreds of people. Experience, costs, perks, all should be even across the board.

WoW made many mistakes with this (Mass ress, Exp bonuses, Rep bonuses, Have group will travel) and not having those perks made recruiting for a guild near-impossible. Having been present in several low level guilds, and being a large contributer to said guilds, the only thing that helped small guilds was nerfing the exp needed by a massive amount, so a group as small as five could grind all the way to max level in a month or two.

And being max level was never a guarantee of recruiting people - my favourite guild was a small social guild, who wanted to raid casually on a PvP server. We advertised for months for members, never got enough members to raid. We couldn't compete with the hardcore raiding guilds, or the levelling guilds, or the PvP guilds - we needed a mere handful of active players to hang out with, and couldn't generate enough interest. Established guilds always win, and the only time they don't is when an established raiding team splits off from a larger guild (and I see enough of those fizzle and die too.)

So when you only need three people to play, it should be balanced around that size first, before it kills those groups off.

I will echo Stok3d's list. Really most of the ideas here are pretty good.

While I also do not want to see large guilds having a huge advantage over small guilds, I do like the idea of leveling the guild over time to unlock some guild options. This leveling should not be draconinan though, where you need 50 members logging in daily to max out your daily guild xp gain. Something modest that a 5-10 person guild can obtain in a reasonable period of time, I would think 6 months at the longest for even a small guild to max their guild level for unlockable features. If it takes a small guild 2 more months to unlock features a large guild unlocked earlier, that is fine. If it takes 2 years longer for that small guild to unlock those same features, that is not fine.

Large guilds are going to have an advantage for achievements,things that may be tracked through gameplay, like most members, most members entered in tournament "X", first guild to complete "dungeon x" with an all guild group, etc (if even things like this are implemented). That is ok with me as if I am in a small guild, I will know that that limits certain achievements, but should not limit gameplay options significantly or for long

Agree with both. Its a good thing though that the game doesn't seem to be evolving around large groups of people. Dungeons will be soloable, raids is 3 people max and can be attempted with even less (3 people are easily gathered) and most pvp formats will be 1 vs 1

Arbiter
08-08-2013, 05:35 AM
I don't want to see, and don't see the point in, guild leveling. It limits mobility (people should want to stay with a guild because it is a great guild not because of the perks) and penalises people for leaving guilds when sometimes that is the best option for all concerned. It puts a large amount of power in the hands of a small group of people (I'd love to see guilds being able to set themselves up as democracies rather than the default dictatorship model present in all MMOs). You can have perks and gain achievements without putting a leveling system in place that is a barrier to new guilds recruiting and players that start late.

If you do decide to have it, just remember that there should be support for all guild sizes, some people like small close knit groups, others like large communities. A person shouldn't feel obliged to join a larger guild because they get better in game benefits when their best fit is with a small group. Make a decision on what is a good size guild for a small group of people and ensure that size group can progress their guild as fast (in experience) as a 1000 person guild. So if CZE decides 8 is a good size for a guild (so they can do guild tournaments) then 8 people with a good activity level should be the basis for determining how much activity is required to progress a guild. Alternately, scale the requirements, so that if an 8 man guild would need to complete a dungeon an 800 man guild may need to complete 40-50 (you can't really use a full linear model, smaller guilds tend to have higher average activity and a complete linear model will likely cause large guilds to aggressively guild kick).

Finally, if you really want guild leveling it cannot be end game based. End game should be its own reward. I want to see hard end game in Hex, and high level competition, but for that to succeed, there must also be a large community of gamers who can enjoy the game on a casual level at their skill level. Most of the money in TCGs is not made through their pro programs. A guild is all about community. If guilds can progress, then a casual guild of highly active but not competitive people need to be able to progress at the same speed as end game/top level PVP guilds. There can't be a perception that top level play is a requirement for building a successful gaming community. Hex will, after all, gain from casual and "pro" communities.

Shadowelf
08-08-2013, 06:11 AM
While i agree with some of your points, it can be argued that the guild leveling adds a sense of purpose to people to socialize by making guilds, adds incentives of login in a daily basis, not to mention the sense of accomplishment when completing any given task. What cze can do is keep the rewards in cosmetics and guild features and out of gameplay. This way anybody will be competing on equal terms whether he belongs to a large guild or not (concerning gameplay), and guilds will in essence serve the purpose of unifying people with common aims (competitive play, devising strategies, socializing and having fun)

Stok3d
08-08-2013, 07:05 AM
While i agree with some of your points, it can be argued that the guild leveling adds a sense of purpose to people to socialize by making guilds, adds incentives of login in a daily basis, not to mention the sense of accomplishment when completing any given task. What cze can do is keep the rewards in cosmetics and guild features and out of gameplay. This way anybody will be competing on equal terms whether he belongs to a large guild or not (concerning gameplay), and guilds will in essence serve the purpose of unifying people with common aims (competitive play, devising strategies, socializing and having fun)

Very well stated.

Guilds will encourage people to be connected and build relationships. That is something I noticed was a disconnect when comparing MTG to MTGO. Hex bringing the MMO aspect into the game fills this shortcoming. That being the case, I believe there needs to be incentive to joining a guild. While the lonestars may not see it worthwhile to deal with the hassle and possibly lose out on say on level guild perks of: 25% XP Gain, 25% Extra Gold Dropped, etc, incentivizing them to join a guild may have them thankful down the road they did so. Just looking at the Hex Guilds (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24845), you can quickly see how like minded or ppl of native tongue congregate. I'm not going to pretend to know the figures, but I'm going to assume that there is a substantial benefit to player retention to a game if they are befriended in a guild compared to being a lonestar. Belonging & Esteem needs can be met here (thanks Maslow) and the unifying goals of achieving guild perks/achievements/point cap/etc help provide those feelings of purpose.

I'm an advocate of guilds, guild perks, and guild achievements. There is a reason I also suggested a guild point daily cap to put the leveling on more even playing ground for various guild sizes and to not take away all the fun from large guilds who could potentially cap a guild in levels relatively fast. In my eyes, I believe a proper daily guild cap would be winning a dozen games of drafting a day or downing say 50x raid bosses or 200x Dungeon Bosses. (Point preference given to PVP in general as it's good for the business model). You could get XP bonus when in a guild only group. Basically, I'm trying to think of something a dozen people could achieve in an 6-8hour window. That sounds about right to me.

Lastly, I believe the guild level cap should be low while in Beta. I say that we shouldn't progress past say level 5 if there were say 20 levels total. This will ensure that beta guilds aren't too far ahead come launch and give us still something to look forward to in the future (and devs some more time to weigh options of perks / leveling / etc). With this being the case, stretch out the first 5 levels while in beta to take at least 6 months to complete :)

AbandonAllHope
08-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Honestly, I don't think there should ever be guild level perks that give increased gold or loot drops, anything that increases your income. Those kind of things are definitely the things that block smaller guilds, no matter how much you try to limit the daily leveling. I think perks should only possibly give things that might make PvE easier, but not substantially increase its loot. Because even if you limit the daily obtainable experience per day, this will be under the assumption that all players will be playing from day 1, which will not be true. New players will have too much trouble catching up when making a guild a month later. And if than Guild A has a 20% gold increase for all its members, new people will want to join those guilds rather than make new guilds just because Gold is currency, and in TCG thats all you really need.

So, I would try avoid anything that boosts income, and focus more on funny perks that could Improve the PvE experience, or other experiences, that don't involve profit.

arastor
08-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Oh that reminds me of something I meant to mention earlier but forgot about... Did any of you ever play civilization 2? I'm sure some of you must have, it was a great game! Anyways I was pretty young when it came out, so the things I was most excited about weren't really related to the game... instead every 50 turns or so or whenever you did something epic you'd be taken to a screen where you could improve your throne room. Really it had zero impact on the game, it was just for looks... but it was awesome.

Having something like that for the guild, a trophy room like you mentioned where you could display some awesome achievements some of which might come with rad artwork / graphics would totally rock!

(pardon any grammatical mistakes here, I'm pretty sleepy)

Good times. I always started with my throne. I wanted a COMFY CHAIR dagnabit, not some crummy rock. Except that one time I left it at its starting form and upgraded everything else. It was kind of hilarious by the end of it.

OT: I agree with the folks saying that unlockable mechanical benefits for guilds creates a pretty substantial barrier. Guilds should have social tools, inter/intra-guild tournaments, maybe some lending stuff. Some cosmetic stuff like the above could be fun, but low priority.

Vibraxus
08-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Well as stated in this thread, and other threads a guild raid system that offers a real reward for breaking in would rock. And make sure the guild being raided can step into the defense themselves. I wont really rehash what I know has been posted before, but I really like the system the MUDD I played did raids and rewards for raids.

Ad also like to add the ability for a guild to do a guild only draft. And this would be a ghost draft, nobody keeps the cards they open, but the guild can setup their own prizes for winning. This ghost draft should only be available 1 time a week (depending on guild size) but each member should only be able to be in 1 ghost guild draft a week. So for instance you have a 200 person guild, the guild leader can run this ghost 14 times, but each member can only enter once. Guild leader says Each winner gets a pack, or gets an entry into a real draft, or whatever. There doesnt even have to be a prize.

ETA The ghost draft could even just take cards in the guild bank and wrap em up in mock packs for the draft, that way all cards in draft just go back to the bank.

And then Ill just post up a bit Ditto to Stok3d's first post.

Blackhoof
08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Hello!
Guilds in TCG is a great idea and since it is MMO, i think that guilds must have some ways to challenge each other.

HEX have a clear division to PvE and PvP, but even PvE does not mean that there is no challenge between different guilds.
Easiest way to compare 2 guilds is to compare their levels. But due to PvE-PvP division that guilds must have separate "levels" for PvP and PvE content.

Guilds can have their own sleeves as achievements. They can represent wins in tournaments or great results in PvE so each guildmate can use sleeves in his deck to show everyone that he is a part of a great community.

And at last, but not least, guilds in many MMOs could fight each other for some global resources. For example, one guild (let's name it Red Warriors) can own the Temple of Lotus which has "integrated" Lotus Garden. And each sunday at 20:00 PST any other guild can organize raid to conquer that temple. First guild that could pass first two stages of Temple of Lotus raid(Blue Wizards) is allowed to fight with Red Warriors for main prize: to own that sweet temple.
Third stage is a siege. Something like the WoW TCG raids: one player from Red Warriors will be the "raid boss" using cards from his guild and special templar cards(cards exclusive to Temple of Lotus owners) to make his boss deck and three players from Blue Wizards must win that last battle to own the Temple.

That's all. Thank you for reading this and sorry for my bad english.

UPD it seems that my ideas are not wery fresh. I just posted my opinion an I'll read the whole topic a bit later.

Maphalux
08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I would like to see guild member leader boards!

Who has played the most games this week? Who has dealt the most damage in PvE? How about PvP? Who has won the most games? Who gained the most life? Who has the best time for a dungeon clear?

Stuff like that would be fun and promote a little in guild competition.

Arbiter
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
While the lonestars may not see it worthwhile to deal with the hassle and possibly lose out on say on level guild perks of: 25% XP Gain, 25% Extra Gold Dropped, etc, incentivizing them to join a guild may have them thankful down the road they did so.

This is terrible.

There is no reason to insult or label people because they don't like big groups or their viewpoint is different to yours. There are many reasons for wanting to be in a small guild, just as there are many reasons for wanting to be in a large.

There is also no reason to put play affecting incentives (especially of that ridiculous level) into guilds. People should join guilds for social reason not game play. If everything is about game play then you end up with a large percentage of the guild only caring about perks and not about the guild. So it breaks down as a social entity and all of a sudden people aren't in there for a guild, they are just playing for themselves with a convenient label. People have different personalities, so encouraging a wide variety of guilds allows for people to find a good fit for them. That makes a better game for everyone.

I like guild achievements, I don't see any point in guild leveling but am not going to be overly upset at it if it is purely cosmetic and a bit of fun. Your proposal leaves me dead cold, as it basically is a disincentive for people to play the game. It should not be tied to top level play - guilds are not about that, the number that are will be less than one percent - and it should not provide in play bonuses as that creates a community divide not building the community that guilds should be. Guild design should not focus on one style of play.

Gwaer
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree that even the smallest guilds should be able to eventually max their guild out. I think stok3d's lonesters comment was directed at people that choose not to join a guild at all.

OutlandishMatt
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Give PvE raids special guild loot, PvE cards/equipment that can be used if you're in that guild. These cards and gear can also be stolen via raids on your own guild keep. If a guild keep is raided and at least 3 people are online with a certain guild rank or higher they get a message saying the guild is being raided and asks if they would like to help. There would be a 5 minute queue. The guild manager could set the permissions so that X rank or higher can participate in the raid and the defending raid will be compromised of the highest rating players.

An example: 5 Online players, the guild leader has set it so Officers and Guild Leader can defend the keep.

Matt - Guild Leader - 1800 rating
Erik - Officer - 1700 rating
Jeff - Officer - 1650 rating
Josh - Officer - 1550 rating
Patrick - Squire - 1800 rating

Only 4 of those would get a message and if they all queue up: Matt, Erik and Jeff will be allowed to defend the keep.

And pretty much like Stok3d listed, take everything from WoW and improve on it. :-D

If guild leveling is implemented, start with a low amount of guild levels and tie it into expansions. Every time an expansion comes out, maybe add 3-5 new levels. Stok3d suggests a year to cap. I suggest a moving cap. Every expansion raises the bar. Heck, tie those expansion levels to a vendor that sells PvE expansion related cards.

For example: At launch we can level a guild to 5 or 10. Set 2 is released, we can now level the guild to 10 or 15. It unlocks 5-10 new PvE expansion cards that are Set 2 specific with mechanics that apply to Set 2.

With a separation between PvE and PvP and PvE having equipment for cards, you have a LOT of rewards you can give out for guild levels and reputation. You can have guild sleeves! You could go the route of WoW and give other benefits like lower vendor costs, reduce xp to level mercenaries and champions, reduce mat costs for crafting, etc.

Here's a crazy guild level reward, "At the beginning of every month, every guild member with X reputation will receive one random card." And they can receive ANY card in the game. Or you could tie that into the expansion and they receive a card from that expansion. I love synergy and I think guild levels + moving cap + expansions is the way to go.

Arbiter
08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I agree that even the smallest guilds should be able to eventually max their guild out. I think stok3d's lonesters comment was directed at people that choose not to join a guild at all.

The comment was "lonestar" which seems a lot more likely to be a slur than a comment, making fun of a play style that he finds pointless but some may like.

There is no problem with small guilds eventually maxing out if there are no large power increasing play incentives there. If there are things like XP and loot bonuses there is a problem with small guilds "eventually" maxing out as it creates a gulf and communities of haves and have nots (consider the current discussions on KS perks magnified).

Also, no one has mentioned... Rift or WoW style? WoW has one track with bonuses for all at set levels, with a solid five man guild being able to cap gains. Rift uses talent trees, so the Guild Leader decides what bonuses are gained when (and they are much smaller than WoW - 1/2/3% compared to 10/20%), guilds had yet to be able to reach cap when I stopped playing. I am unsure whether the quests in Rift scaled, they seemed massive to me but I was in a massive guild - and that guild of 1000 was about the only one on the server at max progression.

Stok3d
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
The comment was "lonestar" which seems a lot more likely to be a slur than a comment, making fun of a play style that he finds pointless but some may like.

Wasn't meant to be derogatory, but is a name I've categorized this playstyle in the past in other games. Maybe the world "Guildless Player" would have been more appropriate. As for playing solo, I was a 5-boxer in WoW--I oftentimes fit the bill on what I was describing as the playstyle. I don't find it pointless.

There is also no reason to put play affecting incentives (especially of that ridiculous level) into guilds.

The DC Tier gives 100% bonus to gold/loot while GM tier gives 10% XP to the guild. I originally thought to mimic that of WoW and suggest 15% (10%+5% tiers), but opted a bit higher with the given DC bonus. Either way, they were just arbitrary numbers and incentives thrown in for example.

However, I disagree with your statement on making some perks pve play affecting incentives. The whole point is to attempt to coax ppl into joining a guild. While it's not necessary to do in order to play, the MMO side of this game should help incentivize people in doing so. As stated in my previous post, there is much to be gained by being a member of something bigger than just yourself.

I am unsure if you are currently in a guild now, but I challenge you to review the The Current Hex Guild List (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24845). There is much being offered to members behind the scenes now in individual guild websites and forums that goes beyond just the game itself. This community really is amazing and these CZE threads only paint part of the picture.

Shadowelf
08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
If guild leveling is implemented, start with a low amount of guild levels and tie it into expansions. Every time an expansion comes out, maybe add 3-5 new levels. Stok3d suggests a year to cap. I suggest a moving cap. Every expansion raises the bar. Heck, tie those expansion levels to a vendor that sells PvE expansion related cards.

For example: At launch we can level a guild to 5 or 10. Set 2 is released, we can now level the guild to 10 or 15. It unlocks 5-10 new PvE expansion cards that are Set 2 specific with mechanics that apply to Set 2.

Although i love the idea of guild level scaling with each set's expansion, wouldn't that be intimidating to people that will start playing the game a few years from now (and want to start a guild), therefore forcing them to join already established guilds ? I would prefer max cap to be modified in a yearly or more basis;not too fast to seem prohibitive for new people and thus encouraging new guilds to flourish, and not too slow to seem stagnant or boring

arastor
08-08-2013, 03:30 PM
However, I disagree with your statement on making some perks pve play affecting incentives. The whole point is to attempt to coax ppl into joining a guild. While it's not necessary to do in order to play, the MMO side of this game should help incentivize people in doing so. As stated in my previous post, there is much to be gained by being a member of something bigger than just yourself.

Why would you want to do this? If being a member of something bigger than yourself is so awesome, then why can't it be its own reward? Trying to coax people to group up with others for mechanical advantages... as an introvert, I think I may actually be offended. Obviously, I'm OK with being in a guild (see sig), but there are people who are even more introverted than me. Why would you want to convince these people to join a guild? Seriously, is it such a crime that these people may want to play their way?

Stok3d
08-08-2013, 03:34 PM
@arastor: MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online Game

I'm not trying to derail this thread with this particular side topic, but in my opinion I believe there should be some subtle in game benefits to joining a guild in an MMO.

zadies
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Trying to play an mmo as a single player game is missing the point that it's an mmo. Given there aren't going to be massive raids which are ussually the reason for making larger guilds it makes sense to incentivise it some other way. And as to the rift perk not getting to max level that is the point of it really you place the points where you feel they will best suit your guild you shouldn't need the pvp perks if your mainly a pve guild for example.(not saying there should be perks that affect drafts or tournament play here) There are ways to shape the perks so having them all well and good but if 25% of them are good general perks that everyone wants to have getting those perks is easy enough and then you have perks for guilds that like to raid, or like to solo run dugeons or affect some other side thing that while great to have aren't nessicarry depending on your play style 100% of the time.

AbandonAllHope
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
I would again like to mention what I would hate to see as a Guild function, because I keep seeing it come up.

Guild Functions I Would HATE To See
- Benefits in any form that will reduce prices or any form of gold advantage
- Benefits that increase drops
- ANY benefits that give a CURRENCY advantage

I really don't think Hex Guilds should be compared to any other standard MMO games such as WoW, because these MMOs go on a larger scale, where Hex has a max Raid PvE setting of 3 players per raid. I completely agree with giving some interesting benefits to larger guilds through leveling, but I can only agree with features that hold no benefit towards their INCOME in any way. This will only add an itchy feeling to those that don't want to be forced into larger guilds, but will still feel the itch because of the simple fact that they are in a certain disadvantage.

This is why I think we shouldn't give any form of decreased prices in crafting or other features, nor should we give any benefits that will give an advantage in their game income. Benefits that are more focussed on PvE experience that result in its gameplay rather than its profit is something I think is fairer to those that don't feel opted to join a large community but rather a small community (eg, classmates).

rstrbn
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Some (or all) of these suggestions may be covered, however here is what I would like to see for guild functions.

The ability to do guild tournaments with the option of guild supplied or CZE supplied rewards. (I would expect the CZE rewards to be less than those from general tournaments, for instance if an 8 person draft tourney with everyone putting in $1 would result in a 4 pack reward, or 3-1; $8=4 packs, but would be nice if the rewards could be $8 plat vs packs :p).

An In-Game Calendar, so we can schedule raids/tournaments.

In guild que for raids; I presume there will be a raiding lfg que. It would be nice if you can do a que in guild first (especially for large guilds).

In Guild chat; seems fairly obvious to have :)

Guild vs Guild battles with a ranking system and rewards. You can implement the battles with the keep defense, but I would like to see it against PvE decks. So each side plays against PvE decks (like a dungeon) and then at end the top 20 scores (or however many) - based on progress in the dungeon would count for your guild. Lets say the battles are an hour or two (to limit potential progress and retries to a battle). I would imagine the rewards as small xp or gold increases in PvE. Maybe unlock of a merc or equipment for gold.

In guild trade options for seeing what people want and have to trades. Something to where you can click once on your trade binder to have it available to trade in guild and then a second time to put in the open to all trade binder (A right click might add to a want list - but that would assume you have the card already).

Guild bank for equipment/consumables, like WoW. I do not necessarily think cards should be in the bank.

Thats all for now, thanks for soliciting input from the community! :)

Miwa
08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
@arastor: MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online Game

I'm not trying to derail this thread with this particular side topic, but in my opinion I believe there should be some subtle in game benefits to joining a guild in an MMO.
Why? Guilds aren't needed in an MMO. Groups of players don't need a big banner to swing their e-peen from.

Guilds should exist for organizational reasons, like easy messaging, and the whole-deck-only guild bank. If there's going to be additional benefits, I'd strongly want to see guild membership capped to 50 to get rid of mega guilds. Decent chat channels can make finding pubs just as well as having a 500 person monster guild.

Trying to play an mmo as a single player game is missing the point that it's an mmo.
It's an MMO that's mostly 1v1 battles. No need for fostering massive guilds. You are going to be playing solo most of the time you are playing the game. Especially at launch.

zadies
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
It's an MMO that's mostly 1v1 battles. No need for fostering massive guilds. You are going to be playing solo most of the time you are playing the game. Especially at launch.

And this here would be why incentivising people actually interacting through a guild would be a good thing to put the Massive back in the game.

funktion
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Trying to play an mmo as a single player game is missing the point that it's an mmo. Given there aren't going to be massive raids which are ussually the reason for making larger guilds it makes sense to incentivise it some other way...

I just want to point something out here. Categorizing something, does not define what it is. MMO is merely a term people apply to something. The mechanics and gameplay of a game determine what the incentives are within that game, instead of what someone decides to call that game. I can give examples on why I feel your statement is a very shortsighted, but hopefully that's not necessary.

zadies
08-08-2013, 06:02 PM
I just want to point something out here. Categorizing something, does not define what it is. MMO is merely a term people apply to something. The mechanics and gameplay of a game determine what the incentives are within that game, instead of what someone decides to call that game. I can give examples on why I feel your statement is a very shortsighted, but hopefully that's not necessary.
Not sure how you can say something that means massive multi-player can be defined as something your supposed to play alone....

funktion
08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Not sure how you can say something that means massive multi-player can be defined as something your supposed to play alone....

You're applying a title to something which might not necessarily fit that title. Sure it might be "called" an MMO but I would argue that it's missing many of the elements that a traditional MMO is. MMO is a term just like "sandbox" they are both overused so much that they don't really actually mean anything anymore.

It is a card game though, no doubt about that. It's very similar to another card game we all know... MTG... and in MTG I can play by myself and never join a group / guild / team and if I'm good enough I can win a pretty large chunk of money.

Once anyone starts to personally categorize something, they start to also limit what it can potential be. I really don't want to derail this thread, so lets get back to talking about the pro's and con's of any features we would like to see.

My point here is to reiterate what myself and some others have said:
-The point of joining a guild should be the concrete differences which that particular guild has established between them and another guild. Over-incentivizing guild play does not really help that guild actually be social or accomplish it's goals.

Aldazar
08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Let me pose this example and I'm going to use the guild I'm in: Clan Blackblade. We are approaching 200 members, have a producer who gets 4x of every card Day1, and have many hundreds of KS tiers secured. Within a month of beta release, it would be nothing for us to dump say 250x complete Sets into a guild bank under your current proposal. With secure lending, we could effectively bring in a thousand ppl into the guild and allow them to play whatever they wish whenever they wish without owning a single card. They would simply need to check in their deck when done and since not everyone would on at the same time--the numbers could be supported.

This is a great point against what I think would be a pretty cool feature! Would it possibly be mitigated by having relatively harsh curbs on the number of cards that can be shared (for example, you start with 10 or 60 or 120 or whatever) and requiring significant expenditure to increase that limit bit by bit? I hesitate to require real money payment, but perhaps it might be necessary... Alternatively, it could be a gold sink, or even have more creative barriers, like completing guild quests, reaching a certain guild level, getting a rare-drop card in a quest, or even sacrificing cards... Or a combination of the above...

Aldazar
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
You are wrong. I know from experience - competing against existing guild in a perk filled environment is near impossible. I have seen people offering gold, free boosts, and all sorts of things to try and bribe people into joining, and they end up failing and the guild dies.

WoW is the perfect example, and even when it became MUCH easier to level a guild, the barrier was far too high. New guilds just suffered, and most people just preferred to buy them - it was easier.

So they have to be careful - the barrier to entry for a guild is far worse than for all other aspects of a game.

I dunno about this... Why do you necessarily have to "compete" with the mega-guilds anyway? Some people will want to create a smaller guild with just their friends, and if it takes them longer to climb the ladder to get all the perks, etc., well that's worth it to them to have a tightly-knit guild without strangers and weirdos they don't know in it! There are trade-offs in most things, and in this case, you trade slower progression for a more intimate guild, whereas in the bigger guilds, they trade-off intimacy for faster progression...

Oh, and the other thing you trade-off is individual significance - your contributions and voice mean more in smaller guilds than they would in a mega-guild...

zadies
08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I didn't catagorize the game the creators did. You paid(or maybe you aren't a backer at any level) to help them build an MMO-TCG saying one of the sets of letters is more important then the other would be a missnomer. And if it's 50/50 then there really needs to be a reason to have the massive there. Otherwise they could have called it a TCG-RPG and focused on it being single player.

BlindMan
08-08-2013, 08:57 PM
The good part about an MMO is that all the features of an MMO are available to you. The problem with attaching large economic bonuses to a particular feature is that it feels forced on you instead. There is plenty of solo content in the game. Why make solo players feel second class?

I would much prefer guild features like a guild tournament, guild draft, or even guild cube drafts, where the guild throws up packs as prizes. These are things that would appeal to those people who want more social play, and not feel in any way unfair to those who want to play solo. Everyone wins.

Aldazar
08-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm a big fan of pretty much all of Stok3d suggestions, and am especially hopeful that guilds will be able to have their own internal tournaments, drafts, competitions, etc. and that there will be a friendly but flexible interface to determine the format of the tournaments!

I'm also a big supporter of guild levels, perks, achievements, etc. and guild exclusive stuff. I don't view it as a "punishment" to people who don't wish to join guilds - they have a choice either way, but I do view it as one of the incentives (alongside the social benefits) of joining guilds, and, like some others posting here, believe that encouraging social interaction (and guilds are a form of this) is a worthwhile cause. I also think it's great to have team goals to work towards together and to be able to achieve things as a team (aka guild) as well as individually...

Also a fan of the card bank/library, which permits the "sharing" or "secured lending" of cards between guildies. I acknowledge the potential issue pointed out by Stok3d, and have proposed the beginnings of a possible solution/mitigation.

I like the idea of being able to have sub-groups within each guild (so you could potentially have a group for PVP focused members, PvE focused members, etc). I don't think it's necessary or even that it needs to be a priority, but I do think it would be nice...

A Guild keep which can be attacked/defended would be cool too... Rankings of best defended keeps, guilds who have conquered the most keeps, etc. would be awesome, along with some form of prize mechanic (at its simplest, if you get raided, you lose a certain amount of gold from your guild bank and the other guild gets it, all the way up to the possibility of having special guild vs guild equipment, cards, etc. up for grabs under certain circumstances...)

A cool related idea would be to have a competition (as in, guilds have to elect to enter it) where CZE creates a unique "treasure", gives it to a random guild, and whoever successfully defeats their keep takes over the "treasure", and so on and so forth... After a set period of time, whoever has held the "treasure" for the longest period of time wins the competition and maybe gets a prize! One of the interesting things about this would be that the holder of the "treasure" might not be public information - you'd have to figure it out, or just randomly attack guilds who entered the competition and hope to get lucky! I realize you guys will surely find some major issues with this idea, but hopefully they can be ironed out because the high level concept seems cool to me!

Gwaer's idea of being able to chat with guildies outside of the game is also really cool. Perhaps via web login to your CZE account and/or iOS/android/whatever app?

Something similar has been suggested, but I think it'd be really cool to be able to have a list of things (cards or equipment?) that I'm looking for that my guildies can see. Even better, if that card drops in a dungeon while they are playing, or pops in a booster that they open, it could flash them a notification (they can disable these if they want) that I am looking for that card... This will help cooperation between guildies who, for example, are in different time zones or otherwise are unable to play together all the time.

Big fan of the idea of having access to guild management tools from outside of the game, probably via browser and/or mobile apps.

I'm super-excited about guilds if you can't tell, so keep the ideas coming! Looking forward to an awesome guild experience!

Also, for those of you who don't like/want to be in guilds, please don't try and have guilds nerfed or watered down just for that reason - choosing not to be in a guild is just that - a choice, so please don't try and have your choice lessen the experience for others! =)

Kamino72
08-08-2013, 11:52 PM
The good part about an MMO is that all the features of an MMO are available to you. The problem with attaching large economic bonuses to a particular feature is that it feels forced on you instead. There is plenty of solo content in the game. Why make solo players feel second class?

I would much prefer guild features like a guild tournament, guild draft, or even guild cube drafts, where the guild throws up packs as prizes. These are things that would appeal to those people who want more social play, and not feel in any way unfair to those who want to play solo. Everyone wins.

This.

funktion
08-09-2013, 02:25 AM
@Blind / Kamino: There's a ton of potential for the "build your own tourney" feature which cory talked about at some point. It wouldn't have to even be guild only either. You could do it with your friends, guildies, subscribers, 1v1, whatever.

I would really like to see guild cubes though, how fun would that be. I'd totally still pay gold as an entry fee even if there were no prizes or anything. Having that as a gold sink would be awesome. They also kinda alluded that plat might be used to unlock some features or that "not all pve was free" I'd even be willing to pay 10 bucks plat just to unlock a "slot" for a cube.

Cube also serves as a draw for the guild, it's a feature from the game, but it would also be something where each guild could have their own interesting flavor of them etc... Those are the things I would most like to see as guild features, not some linear thing that unlocks faster load times, but things where they unlock MORE options on was to customize the experience.

Pezzle
08-09-2013, 05:49 AM
For
--
Standard guild functions like chat and membership controls, notes messages etc
Guild only tournaments and custom formats (eventually cube etc)
Guild hosted tournaments with entry fees including a cut for Cryptozoic. Prizes to be provided by hosts.
Custom guild sleeves
Custom guild mats
Event calendar
A giveaway tab where you put donation cards. Members of your guild select them and you as an individual get to confirm. This is not a guild bank, rather an inventory function added to each account in a guild.

Against
--
Rankings
Trophy Rooms
Guild based gold sinks
Expandable guild storage
guild perks
guild levels/ranks
guild xp/gold grinds of any kind
guild raiding and theft
lending features
guild banks
guild wars, ho ho

In essence, I see guilds as a place to communicate, practice, organize and create custom content. Guilds should not be gold sinks or grinds, leave that to Korean MMO's. Individuals can choose to grind for gold or specific cards, making it compulsory for guilds changes the nature of a guild. Maintenance sucks and is not fun, and this is not EVE. The advantages to being in a guild are the members and their talents and interests. Adding perks like more gold or xp and levels with gated benefits changes the nature of guilds, this is not STO. No unlocks, no ranking systems, no guild theft. Hex is supposed to be about cards. Keep it simple please.

Xenavire
08-09-2013, 05:54 AM
I dunno about this... Why do you necessarily have to "compete" with the mega-guilds anyway? Some people will want to create a smaller guild with just their friends, and if it takes them longer to climb the ladder to get all the perks, etc., well that's worth it to them to have a tightly-knit guild without strangers and weirdos they don't know in it! There are trade-offs in most things, and in this case, you trade slower progression for a more intimate guild, whereas in the bigger guilds, they trade-off intimacy for faster progression...

Oh, and the other thing you trade-off is individual significance - your contributions and voice mean more in smaller guilds than they would in a mega-guild...

Well, in WoW the guild in question was screwed, because all the members wanted to raid without pugging. With only 7 active members and a mismatch of roles, it was impossible, and we could not recruit anyone because they went to the large guilds by default.

And in this case, we might be in direct opposition to other guilds with guild versus guild events - can a 3 person guild stand a chance against 200+? Not likely. So the 3 person guild might look into recruiting more people at some point, and if the perks make that impossible...

So while each member might be more significant in a small guild, they are limited by their size already - no need to give the big guilds even larger advantages.

Kaiba_Graysoul
08-09-2013, 06:50 AM
First it should be noted that this is not my idea alone, Dynark really brought this into focus in the lore and story forum; I would like to see if others in this embryonic hex community like this idea and whether or not we can see it being incorporated into hex.
The idea is this: every month there will be a re-enactment of an underworld incursion, for example there could be the wolves v.s. underworld forces battle; a guild takes up the place of the wolves and another the underworld forces. Each guild would select a number of players from within its guild say for example GUILD A takes 20 people and GUILD B selects 25. These players would then be pitted against one another in ROUND 1: 20 v.s. 20.

Now as each player fights, if they lose they are knocked out and can no longer fight, but they can talk to other guild members still alive and give notes on the opponent that beat them; those who won their fight retain the ability to fight on.

So if for example in ROUND 1, GUILD A wins 13 of their matches then they are left with 13 players and GUILD B is left with 7, but if you remember at the start GUILD B brought 25 players to the fight so their total number left is 12. ROUND 2 would see a 12 v.s. 12 and rounds would continue until only one guild is left that guild would win prizes for the whole guild and individuals who participated; the smaller a guilds force is compared to the other the better the prize; e.g. 1 v.s. 20 the guild with just 1 participant won they would get crazy loot whereas if the other guild won they would get common loot because they should win.

Now for the complicated part once the month is over the option to participate in that specific battle will evaporate and then down the line a dungeon is created where players can fight their way through the desolated battle ground fighting a selection of the decks used by the guild that won the most battles that month, this way events within the game can affect the PvE experience.
I would love to know what people thought of this and see if this idea gets some momentum, I think it has the potential to make guilds a really interesting thing to be a part of and makes each guild a little competitive for good players.

Arbiter
08-09-2013, 06:57 AM
I think I probably should respond to the initial request.

My viewpoint (as I think it's important to see where people are coming from for this): guilds should be about community. There should be enough flexibility in guild design that people can find the guild that is right for them. While an end goal of an eSport is great and I support it (and will be trying my best to reach it), it is important to realise that looking at a successful MMO (e.g. WoW) or TCG (eg MtG) that while they have top end play, the bulk of their money comes from casual players, so creating a community that can embrace casual play provides the resources to develop end game. Guilds are the best avenue for fulfilling this goal.

What I don't want to see:
Large bonuses to play and disparity between what guilds can offer. People should be attracted to communities not perks. I'm not a fan of leveling, but if it is put in the game leveling can still be done without resorting to game bonuses.
PVP or PVE focused guilds being obliged to do the other in order to advance their guild. Guilds should be able to focus on what the players want.
Guilds that do end game PVE or PVP should not get special bonuses or treatment (if you do implement leveling, these should not be the way to get ahead). Sure you want everyone to try, but you don't want to oblige everyone. Rewarding guilds for high level play, when their players have already been rewarded for just makes the rich get richer, it just isn't needed (beyond cosmetics like trophies).
Guilds should receive no advantage or disadvantage due to size. Some people fit better in large guilds, others in small; both need to be accommodated.

Guilds are where I think the sandbox needs to be. They should have the tools to set up a wider variety of events than the basic tournament interface (which can't have too much variety or queues may be too long) What I'd love to see:

Guilds to be able to run tournaments. Note that guilds should be able to set open, invite or guild only as they see fit.
A large interface for house rules. A large disadvantage of online over live play is that when people get together they tweak the rules to suit themselves or try something new.
For constructed, letting guilds set the card list (anything from pauper tournaments, to dwarf wars, etc), or a thematic deck rule (same artist, one colour decks, one race decks, etc) or play with the deck size (250 card deck wars) or composition (Highlander).
For limited, I echo the requests for guilds to be able to design cubes and run draft tournaments from them, guilds could also set non-standard pack composition (more relevant down the track, at the moment the only different sort of draft could be a Primal one), also formats like back draft and other sealed variants could be introduced. One other interesting option with cubes could be PVE cubes that include equipment (I think it would be a nightmare to get the cube right but could be a lot of fun if it was got right).

For chat channels, don't have an officer channel. Instead allow a guild to create a set of channels to suit their needs (tying them to guild ranks or making them invite based as appropriate). This allows those guilds who need officer channels to still have them. But it gives the flexibility to other guilds who may not be bothered with officers but may still need alternate chat channels to use them, without having to have a weird rank system. For example, a role play channel for a role play guild, or the capability to set up a guild channel just for the kids (and to remove the kids from general guild chat) for those guilds that have parents and kids playing. You could also use channels for events (guild trivia nights). There is no need for officers in many guild setups, but there are usually needs for a few chat channels.

If you are going to allow guilds to buy (or receive) subsidised prize support, consider extending that to Hex related competitions. Some guilds may want to have a short story contest, or trivia competition, or an art contest. It's important that you can validate these somehow, but I think these sorts of things are just as worthy of encouragement as guild tournaments.

Allow guilds to run PVE competitions, raids and dungeons. Let them set the rules, then provide the guild with the tools to determine the winner. For example, a guild wants to run a race through the Kraken dungeon. They set up the tournament and a time frame for it to run. People register that they are competing. Competing players will have the results of their first run (or you could make it best of x runs) sent to the guild. This would include time taken (in both hours and turns), ending life at the various fights, boss fights made, deck list used (including equipment) and characters and mercenaries used. Basically enough information to ensure the run was legal and to determine a winner however the guild wants to set it up.

As well as the message of the day, and a calendar have a guild wall that people can post public messages on. Also consider ways to integrate things like guild walls/motd/calendar with social media. Also, consider allowing hyperlinks to function on these things, they can be very useful for linking to guild forums, sign on sheets, etc.

Guild designed trophies and sleeves (think along the lines of tabards in WoW).

Inter guild leagues. Basically set a league time on the server (say a two hour window on a set day) and allow guilds to enter a representative team (3 or 5 players would work best, ideally the same players each week, maybe allowing the occasional sub) in a weekly league competition. The league would run over a certain number of weeks. Each week, one guild team would face another, guild A player 1 vs guild B player 1, etc, with the winning guild being the one winning the most matches. At the end of the competition the highest ranked guild wins. Try to organise league times by timezone (east coast leagues, west coast leagues, European and Oceanic, etc), and you could maybe even have an occasional grad final league featuring winning league teams.

I think that's probably enough. The idea is to get the guilds to do for Hex what the various stores and player groups do for the paper card games. Provide all those weird and wacky environments that give people different ways to enjoy the game.

BossHoss
08-09-2013, 07:11 AM
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online Game

*shakes head in disappointment... We already discussed that this is a Making Magic Obsolete Trading Card Game

Has the Mod Bot upgrade already assimilated all of you?

Back on topic...

Like the list and here is a couple other features I`d like to see:

Guild Ranks
- Classes of rankings ex. Like boxing etc. have "heavyweight" (Guilds with 200+ people) division all the way down to "flyweight" (Guilds with 20 or less) division

This way all guilds can compete in their respective divisions for bragging rights on a more level playing field

Will edit more when I have time...

Zoelef
08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Guilds should be rewarded for the quality of its players, not its quantity of players. To stymie the desire for absrudly-large guild sizes, I look to 'Civilization V:' learning a technology in this game takes a a specific amount of Science points to learn a technology that increases by 5% for each additional city you possess. To apply this principle to Hex Guilds, you could have each additional guild member beyond the third (or other arbitrary guild size) increase the XP/level requirements for guild levels and/or prices for internally purchased/maintained guild perks. I'd even suggest that these penalties/amounts ramp up based on total guild population (e.g. double the penalties at 8/16/32/64/etc.). I'm not opposed to the notion of a guild with triple-digit membership, I am opposed to a massive guild able to market itself as rising in population and in turn getting rewarded more quickly due to its size, furthering the reward for snowballing this way. Hex should aim to avoid this type of infinite loop where a single gargantuan guild becomes unassailable by virtue of its size.

<EDIT> A couple of extra thoughts:

DOTA2, LoL, SC2, M:tG....in all of these competitive games, the most successful teams are 6-16 members in size.

There are ~1200 individual Guild Masters from the Kickstarter (including myself). Wouldn't the ideal launch scenario include a majority of these 1200 donators making their own guilds?

Just like the VIP program, market any Guild XP/Gold/Maintenance curves rewards, not a penalty. Don't penalize large guilds for being large, reward small guilds for being small. Below is a completely arbitrary example, your inhouse economist is better-educated than I am and has access to real info that I don't. Still:

Guild Population
XP Rate
Maintenance Costs

257+
100%
300%

129-256
125%
250%

65-128
150%
200%

33-64
175%
175%

17-32
200%
150%

9-16
250%
125%

<= 8
300%
100%

zadies
08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
If you front load the perks so a lv 15 guild is 75% effective of a lv 30 guild being in a larger guild isn't really that much of a benefit, and you can have scaling exp requirements based on guild population. Or you can have the same exp curve but implement an xp decay system based on the number of guild members active that week after you hit a certain level, which basically means you really can't zerg the levels because you need active players.

Pezzle
08-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Why do we need levels and other DIKU features in a card game? Why should being in a specific guild grant you more gold per fight than another? Let's defend our positions.

dogmod
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Brilliant... I agree with it all, especially want focus on guild communication features as this game will need strong communication features to make up for a lack of "face to face" interactions in 3D environments.

Also +10 to all of the suggestions regarding guild created competitions whether they be PvE, PvP, Keeps etc

dogmod
08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I like the 20 v 20 or even 5 v 5 ideas that are floating around as in : 20 players play 1v1 matches against 20 other players in a guild setting. You could also do it with 5 on 5 etc. Things that I think could be integrated into this setting that would make the battles more compelling.

-Have the battles setup as scenarios as previously suggested. One team is Ardent and the other Underworld at the battle of the wolves, or perhaps one team is squirrels and the other is dinosaurs! Within the scenarios have specific goals as well as “lieutenants” so that randomly(or not randomly) players will play as a lieutenant and have a dungeon deck or a raid deck and be pitted against 1 or 3 opponents as determined by the setting. Beating a lieutenant would be worth more points for the opposing team. One way of making it so that teams see tangible benefit through rounds would be that if you lose as a lieutenant in an early round you have one less lieutenant for later rounds (I envision it being a 3 match scenario but others have suggested 1 offs or 4 + match scenarios) You could have any lieutenants left at the end be ensure of facing off in the third match.

-Give people mini objectives and team objectives. I.e.. Play 10 creature cards during your match for a bonus point. Team heals itself for a combined total of 100+ and gets 5 bonus points. Defeat at least 3 lieutenants throughout the match for 10 bonus points etc etc.

-Scenarios have other built in functions such as 1 team have some sort of advantage in the first round, the other team in the 2 nd round etc etc.

-I don’t like the ideas where if you lose you are “out of it”. I know some people like these because it could setup a scenario where a smaller guild could start out and play 10 v20 or 5 v 20, but to me that is a lot of waiting around for other players and it is just plain not fun when you get knocked out. I would prefer no knocking out and to accommodate smaller guilds have their be multiple scenarios with some being 5v5, 10v10, 20v20 and maybe even some 1v1 and 2v2s.

Other ideas I think would be interesting: Guild missions. For example you guild needs to beat the Kraken raid while only playing sapphire cards. Your guild needs to have a member beat an opening dungeon within 20 rounds. You need to deliver 50 crafting materials to a secret room in a dungeon. This could be built into the leveling system so that smaller guilds need fewer missions completed to level up and larger guilds need more missions to level up. Thus large guilds just hoarding members would result in a relative disadvantage if those members are not active when it comes to mission objectives/completions. Now you could make this only one part of leveling and that way large guilds might have advantages in other ways but would still be disadvantaged in this respect if it was a large inactive guild.

-Guild Keep defense could be built into the leveling or ranking schemes. Cory mentioned unlocking guild mercenaries, perhaps those mercenaries can be used in Guild Keep Defense. Also unlock keep defense specific cards that you can use in your keep defense decks for the guild. Have separate guild rankings for most times keep was not defeated, most times your guild members have defeated opposing guilds keeps , Win % against opposing keeps

-Have guild weekly ratings so that guilds that have leveled up cannot rest on their laurels (I would prefer that any large bonuses be done through this system as simply leveling up your guild and achieving large bonuses without having to put any work in after will stagnate the guild landscape long term) The ratings could be for an overall category, PvP, PvE, PvEP (guild keep defense, personal keep defense, PVP with PvE cards) and any others you might like. Rewards could be nice, some reward categories I like: Double Raid loot for your first 2 raids of the week(win or lose). 21 Life in keep defense attacks for one week, bonuses to guild keep defense for one week.

-Guild tournaments sound awesome. I would suggest one tournament mode being a pauper mode but with the added effect of having it be a PvE mode where you can only use common equipment and level 1 champions.

Sorry for the hastily written post, I am off to work.

Typhon
08-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread; but I skimmed every page and didn't see this:

What I'd really like to see is guild hierarchy, with "team" subsets and different tiers of chats (superset guild chat, team chat, etc.). This probably doesn't apply to everyone; but from past experiences I've always found the need to be able to break teams out into their own chat; while maintaining the ability to community with them as part of larger guild communications. This is especially important for guilds that have multiple "pro" PVP and "progression" PVE "teams".

That way; for a site like HEXRealms, we can have both a mix of casual, pro, and progression all within one guild chat; and each team /group can have their own strategy conversations.

Svenn
08-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Most of these have been touched on, but I'm going to post my wishlist anyway.

Basic Features

Guild Chat and Officer Chat
Message of the Day (that appears on login/logout and on the guild UI page)
Multiple ranks with various permissions per rank (depositing/withdrawing from guild bank, promoting/demoting/kicking members, setting up guild tournaments, etc)
Guild History, showing members joining/leaving, transactions with the guild bank, tournaments, etc.
Detailed guild roster (name, tournaments won, cards in collection, link to achievements page, etc)
Guild logos with the ability to use sleeves with the guild logo

Guild Tournaments
This one is the most important for me. I would love to see a tournament system with lots of features! Important features:

Prizes! Supplied by the tournament creator, or as a pool of things from an entrance fee.
Various tournament structures (brackets, round robin, etc).
Multiple tournament types (Sealed, Draft, Block, Pre-built with all cards, Wild West (PvE cards/champions allowed), etc)
Ability to play a tournament over weeks/months (my friends and I are older and have busy lives, need to allow plenty of time for everyone to play).
Custom banned lists.

There's plenty more that I'm probably forgetting for tournaments, but the main thing I want is lots of customization for the tournaments and especially at least 1 mode allowing us to play with ANY card we own (so ignoring all blocks and whatnot).

Guild Bank
Already suggested a bunch, but definitely necessary. I would like to see this as a traditional guild bank in that items are able to be stored and removed (with permissions for removing granted based on rank) and not borrowed. Perhaps multiple sections with different permissions per section (a section for Officers only, a section for higher ranking members, a section for everyone).

Guild Achievements
This has kind of two parts. The first part is achievements for the guild to accomplish... completing a raid with only guild members, holding a tournament/x number of tournaments, etc. These could all be displayed on a special guild achievements page that anyone (even players not in the guild) can view. The other part of this is showing off things like tournaments won by guild members (with stats and info about those tournaments).

Guild vs Guild Tournaments
There's a lot of ways to do this. One way would be to have x players from each guild play all members of the other guild in a round robin format, and the guild with the most wins would be the winner. Another would be to take x players from each guild and just do a random matchup with the most wins on a side being declared winner (random player from each guild against each other for a tie breaker).

And one non-guild feature request...
So this isn't related to guilds, but it's a feature I REALLY want to see. I want free-for-all multiplayer matches. Some of the most fun I've had in card games has been playing some nice 3 players 1v1v1 matches. I realize this won't make it in for launch, but please consider it for a post-launch feature!

zadies
08-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Prefer the idea of a guild library as opposed to a guild bank. You can limit the number of check outs per guild rank or limit the rarity of the cards lent. Actually causes more desire for cards if you can only check them out 1 time per week for 4 hours then it would if you could take them out and own them.

Shrennan
08-09-2013, 09:33 PM
"Sandbox Guild"

Pretty much - allow the player to create his or her own guild to the guild community's liking. Essentially, if a guild is run by one leader let them be run by one leader. If a guild is run by more than one leader of equal rank, let them be run by more than one leader of equal rank. If a guild is run by election, let it be run by election. This decision would come up in the guild creation menu. I always hated when my friend and I would create a guild and there was no way for either of us to be the same rank - it was really just the actual leader of the guild (the person who created it) and the number 2. It is nice when games accommodate various leadership styles. Rather, instead of giving the person who created the guild all the credit at guild creation - the guild creation menu could be team-oriented as well to account for the various leadership styles or founding ideas. There could even be a charter created at start-up that would allow the founders of one guild to sign it and edit it together. With that said, for people who don't want that detailed customization of their guild, then there needs to also be a simple and fast way to create a guild too.

A guild is all about its community, and I think guild communities have been put aside when it comes to the very basics of a guild - its creation. I could see a small group forming that then decide to form a guild and so there definitely needs to be as many possible ways to form the guild to that group's liking at the very start of the guild creation process.

Multiple Guilds - perhaps a limit?

I really like a lot of Guild Wars 2's ideas. I think some of them helped test the waters on certain things and, while it wasn't always successful, I found the idea of joining multiple guilds an extremely great idea. There are guilds that are focused on certain things, for instance. There could be a PVP style guild that focuses on hardcore PVP, there could be a PVE style guild that focuses on hardcore PVE, and there could be a casual guild. Let players join more than one guild and only let them represent one at a time. Also, maybe there should be a limit on the amount of guilds a player can join?

Guild Library vs. Guild Bank

Why not both? The Library could be used to check out cards that are currently owned by other members but donated within the library (and they obviously wouldn't be able to keep the cards). After a certain amount of time (or amount of games), the card would then be put back into the library.

A guild bank on the other hand would be a way for guild buddies to give to each other - it could be packs, ticket entries, gold, maybe even platinum or single cards.

The only problem with both of these systems is that there needs to be a way to allow players to get what they need rather than take what they want. That's probably left up to guild management though, and not really CZE! =P

Personal Guild Achievements:

Let the guild leadership or the community reward its members who have done great good for the community. Guild Leadership could create custom achievements to honor those members who give a lot of resources to the guild, who teach and lead guild members in defeating raids, or who mentor members in competitive PVP.

Ginaz
08-09-2013, 09:59 PM
I'd like to see for guilds:

1) standard guild features like chat, a bank of some sort, officer/member type ranks etc.

2) guild sleeves and mats

3) guild only tournaments/competitions with similar prizes and entry fees as the non-guild ones

4) cube

Things I don't want:

1) guild perks

2) gold sinks

3) rankings

4) any type of guild related grind

5) guild levels

6) unlocks based on any of the above

7) guild exclusive anything that effects game play for both pvp and pve, this includes, but not limited to, cards, dungeons, bosses, mercenaries, pvp format types

8) guild wars

OutlandishMatt
08-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I just thought of another thing I'd like to see. The ability to create puzzles that guild mates can solve. Create a scenario and let other guild mates solve it and award prizes. This is something that can be very far down the road after about a year but I would love to see the ability to create puzzles kind of like an interpretation of how players now being able to create quests in MMOs.

TheRhys
08-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I think the coolest thing I could think of would be an expansion of the earlier idea mentioned where you can set your castle up as a raid. I'd love to see a Guild raid system, where you can essentially declare people to defend your guilds castle, and they could be determined by rank or something like that. Essentially you would have some sort of raid boss special abilities that would be granted to whoevers deck you determine is the guilds prime defender, with various other players decks also making appearances as minions or minibosses. It would be nice to be able to unlock new powers for our guild raid decks which we could use to essentially design our own raid. Of course people should be able to get loot for defeating us (not our loot, I don't ever want to lose my cards for a system like that). Essentially an extension of the earlier player raiding mentioned earlier, but applied to guilds.

Kamino72
08-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Shadowelf +1
Arbiter +1

Pros:
- Guilds as a social tool.
- Sandbox idea (gameplay customization, events, cube)
- Long run championship (different formats along the week : 3v3, 5v5, 8v8, 12v12)
- PvP guild ladder based on average top players elo ranking or specific guild's competitions
- Keep Defense with ability to build/custumize a huge one (a way to invest in the guild : rooms, stuff, guardians, treasures) : an idea to dig

Cons:
- Guild leveling
- PvE/Gold advantage
- Size advantage : small and/or new guilds should be able to exist without a massive disadvantage

Idea : instead of PvE/money perks as a reward for investment in our guild, there could be a new and specific domain for this, like a keep/castle/city.

I envision a guild treasure room where guildies accumulate items and gold :
- items are GvG specific (bonus to generate gold, build further, defend, raid other's, and so on)
- gold cannot return in the PvE universe (maybe should we find an alternate money's name)
- items/gold can be stolen during raids (random loot among all the treasury)
- raiders can be captured and liberated against a ransom (depending on their level)
- a ladder based on treasury size/value

The challenge is to involve a lot of guildies (it's not fun if only the guild's master could build the castle, set the defense system) and make raids dynamic and cool (for raiders and defenders). A whole game itself.

K.

ossuary
08-10-2013, 06:00 AM
I just thought of another thing I'd like to see. The ability to create puzzles that guild mates can solve. Create a scenario and let other guild mates solve it and award prizes. This is something that can be very far down the road after about a year but I would love to see the ability to create puzzles kind of like an interpretation of how players now being able to create quests in MMOs.

Ooh, that's a really neat idea. I like that. Sort of like a miniature quest builder. I've seen a few MMOs use this style of player generated content to interesting effect. +1 from me. :)

dogmod
08-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Ooh, that's a really neat idea. I like that. Sort of like a miniature quest builder. I've seen a few MMOs use this style of player generated content to interesting effect. +1 from me. :)

I had a similar idea in the past a little different, I suppose if you are more looking at it from a "quest building aspect" then it is different but if you are looking at it from the puzzle aspect it is pretty similar.

User Created Challenges

Basically, everyone loves the challenge mode from Duel of the Planeswalker and other assorted card game single players. They are quick burst intellectual challenges that after you have finished you have a sense of accomplishment.

I imagine you have planned something like this and honestly I imagine you will have more than a few dungeons with elements just like this (Sphinx anyone?)

The real kicker in this idea is the creation of these challenges by your users. Providing the tools for users to set up challenges, put them into a challenge “marketplace” and let other users play them. Much like keep defense there can be prizes and it can act as a gold sink out of the market in the long run.

In a nutshell it would work like this: I create a challenge using your interface. I post it on the marketplace and perhaps I put up a bounty of 1000 gold for the first 10 people who complete it. And then I charge 250 gold for players to play it. The players who take the challenge rate it and if in the long run it is creative and fun to play it will have a good rating and players will continue to pay 250 gold to play it, despite the bounty being long gone. (I get 200 gold, 50 gold gets sinked out of the market). You get content created by the players free of cost to you(outside of the initial dev costs for the tools) and the players get more content, the fun of creating challenges, and the fun of playing challenges.

-Allow players to set challenges up in dungeon settings if they have reached a certain achievement level in that dungeon. (Including the cards from that dungeon)
-Allow players to create challenges using cards they own which drives more players to desire cards that might be out there or would otherwise hold little interest for them. The more you open up interesting and creative ways to use cards the more people will want them.
-User rating system including 5 star difficulty and 5 star quality rating. Include lists you would find in your normal “app store” environment: All time greatest challenges, New, Hottest, Random, By bounty
-Achievements for first challenge created, defeated, bounty earned, creating a challenge that is highly rated or played a certain number of times, Defeating top 10-20 all time greatest challenges, creating a challenge using a dungeon setting

ossuary
08-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, I remember reading that when you posted it in another thread (or was that originally over at UT? I forget where I saw you post it up). I like that idea too.

Jarric
08-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Just because it seems to be the hot button of the guild issue I want to chime in with my 2 cents as a guild leader.

In the world of physical CCG/TCG one of the aspects I enjoyed the most and that added a great feeling of socializing/community was the ability to TRADE with my friends or BORROW a card for a tournament we were all going to. There was a time where a buddy of mine and I spent a month devouring a game and all types of decks until we found two that we felt were top contenders. Neither one of us on our own had all the cards for either deck. So I gave him all the cards for one and he gave me all the cards for the other. Whatever we didn't have combined I went on Ebay and bought to fill our decks out.

I look at the guild bank of cards and the lending as this games answer to that aspect. The cards have to be purchased at some point. It would be no different than going to a local card shop and giving a brand new player all my extra commons and uncommons to get him/her motivated and interested in the game.

It's a feature I feel will help guilds build and by limiting the "trading" to guilds and the guild bank it doesn't become rampant.

I am sure "Most" guilds will not be of a 200 member roster. Even if they are again the cards had to be purchased at one point as as someone referenced with the library analogy once it's checked out by one guild member it can't be checked out by another and if you donated it it's not part of your personal collection anymore.

Not to mention are you sure you will even be able to have 200 members out the gate. I know a lot of F2P games limit guild members based on guild level.

Any who just my 2cents ... think this feature should be in and allowed as it screams guild/community building and social interacting and Cory has said that that element is key to this games success.

keroko
08-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I liked linkshells in final fantasy - you could have many - like batphones.

WWKnight
08-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Not going to read all the responses, but the ability to build guild cubes for cube drafting would be pretty awesome!

k1m1
08-12-2013, 04:20 AM
voting option
I think it could be nice for the guild organization to send a question to all or special members to vote for something which is discussed in the guild, e.g. if a new guild member should received or some gold/card of the guild should be invested etc.
So everyone can take part in the guild and has a voice.
Further there can be integrated a additional field for notes to the vote.

tilde
08-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Please this. Being able to draft similar to how we do it at home (buy a box or build a cube) and then draft for "free" with all of the high qualirty card, deck, and draft tools that CZE is building would be a killer selling point for my friends.

Miwa
08-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Just because it seems to be the hot button of the guild issue I want to chime in with my 2 cents as a guild leader.

In the world of physical CCG/TCG one of the aspects I enjoyed the most and that added a great feeling of socializing/community was the ability to TRADE with my friends or BORROW a card for a tournament we were all going to. There was a time where a buddy of mine and I spent a month devouring a game and all types of decks until we found two that we felt were top contenders. Neither one of us on our own had all the cards for either deck. So I gave him all the cards for one and he gave me all the cards for the other. Whatever we didn't have combined I went on Ebay and bought to fill our decks out.
No special guild functions or lending are required to accomplish the exact same thing.

You trade your cards to your friend, and he trades his to you, just like in real life. Nothing changes. You can trade them back when you are done if you want.

If they run off with them, barf on them, feed them to the dog, etc, well, not much you can do, eh? Other than buy more cards. Problem solved.

Being able to clear out the guild bank makes sure that guilds stay of a manageable size. It's a nice natural counter to mega-guilds. :P

ossuary
08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Ooh, I'm looking forward to reading about EVE Online level shenanigans where people make accounts and bide their time for months or even years, playing the perfect guildie, then ransacking the guild vault and making off with thousands of dollars worth of cards. ;)

Bring on the syndicate guild wars! :p

Corpselocker
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
A modifiable guild bank, which has been mentioned, is good in my book. Guild leaders will be able to open up either different pools of cards or the amount a person can claim per day based on their participation, rank, etc. I've got a few too many tiers and I want banking options to divvy out my extras :) A log of bank actions would be nice as well.

Pezzle
08-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Guild banks are a bad idea. This is a card game, not a DIKU. With decent communication tools a player can obtain any freely traded or mailed cards they might need.

locust
08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
In real life i have a shared collection of magic cards with my brother and two best friends. We share cards and lend each other decks.

I wanted to do a guild with them so we could have the same experience in hex, sharing cards, enter tournaments as a team. . . so yeah please make it possible for guild members to share cards between them, they can chose which cards to share, and the people who used them couldn't sell them or trade them. as well as some other restrictions that might seem fit.

And a guild stats that show's the member that has won most tournaments and overall ranking league, as well as graphs to show the overall guild performance.

All the other ideas are amazing if they come true it would be awesome, but please let us share decks and cards between guild members. I think that would be the best thing about a guild. Also guild tournaments sound cool , let us personalize our "guild page" with costume icons and stuff. that would be nice too as well as something near the nickname, like a tag with our guild.

EntropyBall
08-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I had a similar idea in the past a little different, I suppose if you are more looking at it from a "quest building aspect" then it is different but if you are looking at it from the puzzle aspect it is pretty similar.

User Created Challenges

Basically, everyone loves the challenge mode from Duel of the Planeswalker and other assorted card game single players. They are quick burst intellectual challenges that after you have finished you have a sense of accomplishment.

I imagine you have planned something like this and honestly I imagine you will have more than a few dungeons with elements just like this (Sphinx anyone?)

The real kicker in this idea is the creation of these challenges by your users. Providing the tools for users to set up challenges, put them into a challenge “marketplace” and let other users play them. Much like keep defense there can be prizes and it can act as a gold sink out of the market in the long run.

In a nutshell it would work like this: I create a challenge using your interface. I post it on the marketplace and perhaps I put up a bounty of 1000 gold for the first 10 people who complete it. And then I charge 250 gold for players to play it. The players who take the challenge rate it and if in the long run it is creative and fun to play it will have a good rating and players will continue to pay 250 gold to play it, despite the bounty being long gone. (I get 200 gold, 50 gold gets sinked out of the market). You get content created by the players free of cost to you(outside of the initial dev costs for the tools) and the players get more content, the fun of creating challenges, and the fun of playing challenges.

-Allow players to set challenges up in dungeon settings if they have reached a certain achievement level in that dungeon. (Including the cards from that dungeon)
-Allow players to create challenges using cards they own which drives more players to desire cards that might be out there or would otherwise hold little interest for them. The more you open up interesting and creative ways to use cards the more people will want them.
-User rating system including 5 star difficulty and 5 star quality rating. Include lists you would find in your normal “app store” environment: All time greatest challenges, New, Hottest, Random, By bounty
-Achievements for first challenge created, defeated, bounty earned, creating a challenge that is highly rated or played a certain number of times, Defeating top 10-20 all time greatest challenges, creating a challenge using a dungeon setting

I think this idea is outstanding. Probably the best original idea I've read on these forums. I think this could be a fantastic gold sink. I know several people who enjoy these puzzles in DotP, and I've enjoyed the puzzles every week on Hex Shuffle. I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to tie it to guilds, but the idea of user-created puzzles is really cool.

My one concern would be that a bounty system will make people create very unfair challenges. In some of the DotP challenges, you really can't beat them until you've failed a few times to find out what cards you will draw. If I want to make a very hard challenge, I just have to add several card draw mechanics that need to be played in a certain order, and it will be virtually impossible to win on the first attempt, because the creator has knowledge of the card order, and the challenger does not.

dogmod
08-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I think this idea is outstanding. Probably the best original idea I've read on these forums. I think this could be a fantastic gold sink. I know several people who enjoy these puzzles in DotP, and I've enjoyed the puzzles every week on Hex Shuffle. I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to tie it to guilds, but the idea of user-created puzzles is really cool.

My one concern would be that a bounty system will make people create very unfair challenges. In some of the DotP challenges, you really can't beat them until you've failed a few times to find out what cards you will draw. If I want to make a very hard challenge, I just have to add several card draw mechanics that need to be played in a certain order, and it will be virtually impossible to win on the first attempt, because the creator has knowledge of the card order, and the challenger does not.

Thanks for the sweet feedback :). I think that you are right in that people could make very unfair challenges. However, I don't think those challenges would be very highly rated in the long run and would fall out of the sight of the community that enjoys such things. In the end the cream would rise to the top and we would hopefully have a thriving community of challenge creators/players and a built up selection of fun challenges for anyone interested in trying them.

Corpselocker
08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Oh man, I forgot an obvious one. Let the guilds have a graphical, uploadable representation in the game. Art is so emotive and evocative, I would hate that we'd be relegated to only a name (and maybe a mission statement?). I hope that we can portray a piece of our banner where the necrotic are socketing eyes. *drool*

keroko
08-16-2013, 08:20 AM
guild 'crest' or some kind of uploadable jpeg / whatever sure is nice if it can be done. Sense of personalization.

also, option to have play background in 'guild colors' a possibility? Like a theme for the guild. When you watched vids of a player you might recognize "hey, that's the rumbleytumbler munneemakker theme - they're rly good..." etc.

high contrast modes for better coloration when playing on tablet / mobile device and in high, particularly outdoors, light.

Xenavire
08-16-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't think it fits here, but I would want to see this in place of a guild bank - dedicated sharing box between friends. Wether it includes your whole collection or only a few commons here and there, being able to use a kind of 'drop box' to just throw spare cards into to share with your close (note CLOSE friends, not a group of 50) and treat them as a group collection instead. (Lets put this number between 5 and 10, just as a ballpark figure.)

PROS:
Easy to use - you just drop cards in and pull them out, at any time.
Community feeling - you can share your favourite cards with people you care about - perhaps even some you have worked to level up.

CONS:
Possibility of abuse - any helpful system has that risk, and this is true here - however, with the idea in mind, it would be just limited enough to be a minor things.
Chance of permanently losing cards - depending on implementation, yes. But you could flag important cards as 'Do not sell or trade' and the risk evaporates. Then the only issue is getting them back off your friend...
Trust issues - yes, those friends who borrow and never return things. Simple answer - limit your drop box to people you trust.

This means you could have your core raiding group using a dropbox in a guild - but it would be a private thing. No public bank tabs etc, no newbies trying to game the system, etc. The other thing it means is you can share with close friends you are not in a guild with, but it could allow you to keep that close-knit community feeling.

Hand in hand with the deck checking in/out, players should have the same freedom trading would offer, but with an ease-of-use equal to a physical cardgame.

EntropyBall
08-16-2013, 07:41 PM
I don't think it fits here, but I would want to see this in place of a guild bank - dedicated sharing box between friends. Wether it includes your whole collection or only a few commons here and there, being able to use a kind of 'drop box' to just throw spare cards into to share with your close (note CLOSE friends, not a group of 50) and treat them as a group collection instead. (Lets put this number between 5 and 10, just as a ballpark figure.)

PROS:
Easy to use - you just drop cards in and pull them out, at any time.
Community feeling - you can share your favourite cards with people you care about - perhaps even some you have worked to level up.

CONS:
Possibility of abuse - any helpful system has that risk, and this is true here - however, with the idea in mind, it would be just limited enough to be a minor things.
Chance of permanently losing cards - depending on implementation, yes. But you could flag important cards as 'Do not sell or trade' and the risk evaporates. Then the only issue is getting them back off your friend...
Trust issues - yes, those friends who borrow and never return things. Simple answer - limit your drop box to people you trust.

This means you could have your core raiding group using a dropbox in a guild - but it would be a private thing. No public bank tabs etc, no newbies trying to game the system, etc. The other thing it means is you can share with close friends you are not in a guild with, but it could allow you to keep that close-knit community feeling.

Hand in hand with the deck checking in/out, players should have the same freedom trading would offer, but with an ease-of-use equal to a physical cardgame.

I would like to see something like this, basically a place to put extra cards so my friends can have them if they need. There would be no check-in/check-out just a grab bag we could all add/remove cards from. We used to do this with our MTG cards. We basically just kept and traded rares, and all commons/uncommons were just a communal pool. It wouldn't be something that large guilds could use to prevent people from having to buy cards, since one rogue member could just completely raid their box and steal everything. It would really be just an analogue to the way people share physical cards.

Idus
08-18-2013, 01:46 PM
I think most of my ideas have been represented, so consider this a +1 wherre appropriate :-

1. Intra-guild tournaments
2. Guild Keep
3. Guild Permission based ranks
4. Guild bank, permission based
5. Guild-run auction house
6. Guild chat/communication system
7. Guild-based content creation system

This last one I think is most important. The ability for guilds to create their own content, whether it be custom tournament types, their own dungeon or raid like challenges, or something else. Allowing user generated content is what kept a lot of the most famous MMO's alive for many years.

MoikPEI
08-18-2013, 01:59 PM
>Content Creation
What all would this encompass? Guild Sleeves would be pretty k. Or guild art skins for cards when in PvE.

Xenavire
08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I had a decent idea. not sure if it has been mentioned - but WoW and some other MMO's allowed creation of a guild emblem displayed on tabbards. Well, we wont have tabbards in Hex (that I know of) but what about keep flags? Have a self designed emblem on your keep, as a flag 'flying in the wind'.

Would be awesome for guilds to promote themselves to the public etc.

Pezzle
08-18-2013, 07:49 PM
You cannot enable fan based sleeves/tabards/flags on demand. All privately created content would require serious Cryptozoic oversight. It is not worth the time investment

zadies
08-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Saying something is not worth the time investment is just speculation...
If they made it something that couldn't possibly earned in the first 6 months of game time with an entire guild of 100+ people cze would have enough time to get the back-end setup because they wouldn't have to review all the designs at the same time. Really could just be a little emblem you enabled on the sleeves that was in the corner or something.

hex_colin
08-18-2013, 08:16 PM
You cannot enable fan based sleeves/tabards/flags on demand. All privately created content would require serious Cryptozoic oversight. It is not worth the time investment

Cory basically confirmed this at the DL dinner - no non-cryptozoic pictures on sleeves/flags. Let's call it the "no cocks" rule ;)

Pezzle
08-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the internet.

The talk was self created emblems, not a little emblem on the corner or something. As much as I might wish it were different everything, everything everything custom created has to go through a strict screening process. This is not speculation. That is entirely possible, but you cannot set the bar at membership or even effort. The key is convincing Cryptozoic that the screening process is worth their effort. So, why is it?

Pezzle
08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Cory basically confirmed this at the DL dinner - no non-cryptozoic pictures on sleeves/flags. Let's call it the "no cocks" rule ;)

Thank you for not making me say it Colin, my wording was less polite =)

hex_colin
08-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you for not making me say it Colin, my wording was less polite =)

Not my words either ;) Just relayed what I heard... :)

Idus
08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
>Content Creation
What all would this encompass? Guild Sleeves would be pretty k. Or guild art skins for cards when in PvE.

I'm not talking about adding sses to the game, but being ale to do fun and ne stuff with existing game assets. Being able to create our own raids or design our own bosses would be a big goal. Smaller stuff is hard to tell, since we don't know what form PvE is going to take, but soething simple like being ale to have a guild Treasure Hunt. Putting spme loot, be it cards, gold or equpment, into a chest, hiding it somewhere in the game world, and then getting guildies to follow a trail of clues to find it. Probably sounds outside the scope of the game format, but with some imagination and slight tweaking of existing game mechanics, I can see some viable options.

RanaDunes
08-19-2013, 04:06 AM
A map of conquest/campaign where guild members can cooperatively progress through. Some might fend off enemies protecting an attack which will conquer an area owned by the guild (in a few hours; warning/notification on the map will be visible) where a guild member can fend off the possible attack.

Guild Members avatars, on the map, move by one point per... hour? which means tactical planning and cooperation is required. (who should stay here to fend off possible attack and who should march forward).

Heck if you make the map a persistent world where everyone can be there and PvP is allowed that would be awesome. But probably too hard to implement. :p

keroko
08-19-2013, 07:53 AM
guild battles against mirror players - ai derived from past player actions by YOU. Do you tend to counter the first cast if you have mana available in the early game? Do you tend to press damage at health cost to self? Do you attempt to 'trick' the ai by altering your playstyle when playing the ai? Do you tend to bluff by holding back colored mana that indicates an instant on opponent turn when in reality you have nothing to play?

Can strategy and tactics for dealing with a particular game state be abstracted into general forms of play that are followed like a goal based on what you draw?

Guild battles against the shadow ai players might be highly challenging - true enemy is self and all that.

Xenavire
08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Not sure if anyone actually ever said 'created outside of the game'. If it was all done ingame with existing assests (i.e WoW tabbard and guild logo's) then it is no issue to implement.

Pezzle
08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Not sure if anyone actually ever said 'If it was all done ingame with existing assests' before you did in the last post either. When someone says self designed the sky could indeed be the limit. That sky could also be filled with dongs.

Xenavire
08-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Fair enough, but there is no need for anyone to say an idea is bad on technicalities. If the idea is good, but would require a certain method, you could suggest changes. "Not worth the time investment" may be incorrect in this situation - it could be very worth the time investment if it uses ingame assets. However, in context, you are completely right, the difficulty of reviewing content from external sources would be not worth the effort.

Guild emblems of some variety would be useful, and a crowd pleaser, and certain other creatable content (like the keeps etc) might be an interesting feature to approach at some point.

dogmod
08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I think dongs get a bad name... just sayin...

As for the guild crests I think they have shown that they have the ability to make some REALLY cool logos and if they had a way to let us work with those/modify or whatever for our banners I think it would be great as well. Guilds need identity and logos are a great way to provide that.

Now if you charge say 5 bucks or 10 bucks to input a logo and have it reviewed would that be a workable sytem? I am sure they can have someone look at a picture and say dong or not dong for 5 or 10 bucks.

EntropyBall
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
A map of conquest/campaign where guild members can cooperatively progress through. Some might fend off enemies protecting an attack which will conquer an area owned by the guild (in a few hours; warning/notification on the map will be visible) where a guild member can fend off the possible attack.

Guild Members avatars, on the map, move by one point per... hour? which means tactical planning and cooperation is required. (who should stay here to fend off possible attack and who should march forward).

This sort of large scale combat would make this much more of an MMO feel than what we've seen so far. Having battlegrounds of some sort where you could go in and "fight" in a larger battle by having deck-to-deck skirmishes somehow would be a lot of fun. I have no idea how it would be implemented, but I think something that gives the feel of larger scale battles would be really great in Hex.

Now if you charge say 5 bucks or 10 bucks to input a logo and have it reviewed would that be a workable sytem? I am sure they can have someone look at a picture and say dong or not dong for 5 or 10 bucks.

Or just harness the power of bored people on the internet with www.dongornot.com

ossuary
08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I am sure they can have someone look at a picture and say dong or not dong for 5 or 10 bucks.

Talk about bragging rights. Imagine that kid hanging out on the UC Irvine campus.

"Hey man, what do you do?"

"I'm the dong / not dong guy for Cryptozoic."

"Wow, sweet."

:D

Badmoonz
08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
The size of the guild should not effect the rate at which rewards are unlocked. A 200 man zerg guild should not be the quickest way to the top. Ideally, I'd like my personal guild of 5-10 friends to have attainable rewards.

funktion
08-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Not my words either ;) Just relayed what I heard... :)

Because I have a potty mouth, I have no problem repeating it... I think it was coined the no "penis face" rule.

Talk about bragging rights. Imagine that kid hanging out on the UC Irvine campus.

"Hey man, what do you do?"

"I'm the dong / not dong guy for Cryptozoic."

"Wow, sweet."
:D

That sounds a like a great new idea for a party game...

ossuary
08-21-2013, 03:34 AM
It's definitely more thrilling than beer pong.

nikareijii
08-21-2013, 05:03 AM
The ONLY two things that are necessarily required from guilds:
1. Shared cardpool
2. Guild chat

All remaning features are just not so necessary and might be on the conscience of developers, but without guildbank and guildchat guilds are useless.

dogmod
08-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Beer dong? Or is that something else...

ossuary
08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I think you're thinking of "deer gong." It's a giant cymbal that rings every time any antlered creatures are nearby. Kind of makes hunting difficult, to be honest. I don't know what they were thinking.

StoutHarbringer
08-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Secured Lending

Whoa whoa whoa, the main appeal of having an online tcg is to have the automated management of many, many decks. Not just in managing your own, but also in helping your friends do their best with what they have on hand, with the flexibility of being able to say "hey use this for now, give it back when you're done". If a group of people come into your game and find that they need to manually swap everything back and forth as they take turns playing a deck, and manually keep a list of what is whose, people will balk.

Moreso, within the mmo crowd, its a given that there will be some sort of guild bank for new joins to be tantalized with, so that once they have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps sufficiently, the guild will step in and top them off to make the transition from "at the endgame" to "ready to contribute to the guild in the endgame".

There cant just be friend to friend sharing, there also needs to be the flexibility to share within user defined groups with multiple facets of control, I need to be able to define that I am sharing:

[all of my spare cards, {except x, y and z}] to
[Everyone in my guild, {except those guys (because they arnt lending to me and my clique :P )}]
AND that [everyone on my friends list {except these casual acquaintances, who get nothing}]
gets everything (including x, y and z)
AND I need to be able to prioritize each of those people.

See how complicated it was to read that, let alone write it? This is why we have computers.

"But Im still worried about the economic impact" you might say- it doesnt have to have a negative impact. Say someone gets used to playing nice top end decks while everyone else is offline. They get pretty good at it and want to try out for a big upcoming tournament next week, thing is that so is everyone else, and the deck they want to play is pretty popular. There is a mechanism for them to communicate which cards they want to play when this tournament starts, so that they can attempt to reserve them from the shared pools they have access to ahead of time (but not lock them in!). Thing is, they have a pretty low priority on most of those lists, many of the people who were sharing those cards will be using them for their own deck, or letting one of their close friends use it, so they find that they're a few cards short and THAT is where Cryptozoic is going to make a killing.

Instead of making a casual player guess that "these cards" would work well with "those cards" and shell out the money for all of them blindly, the player is now engaged, knows that the deck will work *if only* they simply buy a feeew more cards. Know what else happens as a tournament approaches? The price of these popular cards explodes, the actual owner of the card will be strongly tempted to sell it off instead of lending it to anyone, that will set off a cascade of even more ruffled feathers as people re-request access to shared cards, displacing people lower than them, who need to find a plan B, fast.

This needs to be a very robust system to produce the desired result though, and giving everyone unlimited commons would probably disrupt the desired pve experience; the easy fix is to restrict card sharing until upper level content- dungeons/raids ish, or to simply give everyone unlimited access to commons all the time and balance the game around that, people with friends essentially have access to unlimited commons anyway.

edit: on the thought of markets, there needs to be built in price trend tracking (like in EvE) so that casual players dont accidentaly rip themselves off and you dont wind up with a core demographic of players whose game is to buy low/sell high instead of actually playing the game. The lack of this feature killed the d3 auctionhouse and the rest of the game with it.

ossuary
08-25-2013, 04:58 AM
I agree that players shouldn't be easy to gouge, and having good price / trending / tracking tools will help with this. And I totally get what you are saying about not wanting a "core demographic" of people who just farm the auction house trying to come out ahead.

That being said, it should still be POSSIBLE for a savvy gamer to make a profit in the auction house by moving goods in and out if they want to. Some players get a lot of enjoyment out of gamifying this kind of content. And, to a certain extent, in limited quantities, playing the system can also be healthy for the economy, as it keeps money moving instead of sitting in proverbial mattresses gathering dust.

Bekkir
08-30-2013, 03:11 PM
My thoughts:

Guild Chat: should be a given.

In-game calendar to make planning guild events easy.

Deck lending (but I feel it best if loaned decks are ONLY usable while playing with/against other guildies)

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 03:18 PM
My thoughts:

Deck lending (but I feel it best if loaned decks are ONLY usable while playing with/against other guildies)

This is already in :)

3) Guild Bank = Yes, not sure if there will be a common pool to access, but there will be common decks. Let me explain:

Guildies will be able to create decks and put them into the guild bank (I believe there are a limited number of slots). Any guild member will then be able to "check them out" and play them against other guild members (can't play them against non-guild members or in tournaments). Think of this like a "gauntlet" where you put all the best decks in the current format in there, then you and your guildies test out all your decks against the guild decks to see if your strategies are working. We want to make sure deck testing is easy and intuitive for you.

You won't be able to trade the cards in these decks, and the original owner can check them back out for good or just to modify them. Also, only one person can have one of these checked in decks in a game at a time.

Lastly, we are also thinking of some way for guilds to gain the ability to have the top decks of major tournaments populated into their deck repository to play against.

brockit
09-01-2013, 11:07 AM
I just want to see a guild bank that works like a BIG ass trade binder with shared access to everyone in the guild (of the appropriate guild rank of course). It be a quick way to let your friends have access to any extra cards or equipment. I'm thinking in terms of a small guild of friends, larger guilds may need a ranking system to have a guild bank treasury to grant permission for someone to take a card or piece of equipment out. anyone can put stuff in the bank though.

Tinuvas
09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
I just want to see a guild bank that works like a BIG ass trade binder with shared access to everyone in the guild (of the appropriate guild rank of course). It be a quick way to let your friends have access to any extra cards or equipment. I'm thinking in terms of a small guild of friends, larger guilds may need a ranking system to have a guild bank treasury to grant permission for someone to take a card or piece of equipment out. anyone can put stuff in the bank though.

Yeah, intra-guild card exchanges would be awesome! It's how my group will work anyway, and it would facilitate the exchange quite well.

HellFro
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
It's been mentioned before but dropped pretty quickly. I would like to see some form of Guild Alliance feature. I understand the reluctance to have someone in multiple guilds but being able to play in your small guild AND aligning with a bigger more established guild can help alleviate the big guild vs small guild rivalry/issues.

Mostly, for my own personal reasons, I plan to start a small guild with three or so friends. We're all relatively new to MMOs and TCGs and it'd be great to have our own little party. But since they're not as dedicated time-wise to playing together all the time, it'd be nice if I could (or if they could when I'm not available) tag along with another guild and raid. It really wouldn't be much different than having sub-groups in a huge guild, except you wouldn't have to be loyal to just the one guild.

EntropyBall
09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd like to see guild challenges where you create some competition and see which guild can do the best. An example would be the "highest value of X for Eye of Creation by turn 5" challenge that someone posted on the forum. Only rather than just a thought exercise, it would be an actual encounter that you would build a deck for.

I'm sure there are way better ideas than that example, but I think some sort of guild competition where only your guild's best score is counted would be cool. This can favor large guilds by virtue of them having more people to attempt it, but small guilds of good players can still win.

OliveiraDev
09-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Well then it's my time to comment here.
Since it's a guild, why not give the guild master some upgrades to their guild members appearance on matches :D

Card Changes

-A custom card back for all its members, that the guild master may buy from the shop and edit it;

Functions
-Create a guild calendar on the game itself where the master and officer's could schedule activities and events for its members with a warning of on-going guild event's on log in;

-Guild passive skills that affect PVE, since anything that affects PVP is probably unfair <.<;

-Guild tournament's and inner duels to gain points the more points the player has the more he ascend's on his guild rank's so that there is always "tension" for who will lead the guild;

-A guild only option at auction house so that member's can keep those goodies between them for a cheaper price;

-Guild castle's, although this is probably appear silly since the game doesn't have a "Character" for so to speak, but yet, on the other hand this will appear to be a "adventure point and click game" like the old one's (Example :Clock Tower). and cause of Guild castle's there should be a map with land's and other guild castles, that guild's could declare war and fight to counter more land and gain advantages, like a daily bonus "in-game currency" depending on how many land's the guild has, but this is probably hard to adapt to this game so let's keep it to the designer's to choose what include on the game shall we? :D

Aerensiniac
09-22-2013, 06:55 AM
- Guild Achievements (both for working together as a guild and your individual service towards the guild)
- Guild ranks
- Guild inventory
- Guild Skills/Skill tree
- Guild research/crafting
- Guild base (or equivalent) construction (probably linked to guild skills/research/crafting)

Pick the stuff you like.

Kami
09-22-2013, 06:59 AM
- Guild base (or equivalent) construction (probably linked to guild skills/research/crafting)

These I'm wary about. It's very easy for these to become "unless you join a guild and get these benefits, you're always going to be at a disadvantage".

Granted, we already have the Guild Leader's 10% XP bonus but that will unlikely affect a significant number of guilds due to mergers or people with that bonus not forming a guild but joining one.

Idus
09-23-2013, 03:59 PM
- Guild Achievements (both for working together as a guild and your individual service towards the guild)

That sounds very EVE:Online-like. While I love EVE, I don't think Hex will have the MMO breadth of gameplay to make these features viable. Most of EVE's corp-based structure contributes to the end-game of massive multiplayer battles, with huge inventory loss. It's all about building empires.

Hex has not shown us anything that points to empire building as part of its systems that we know of yet. However, If Guild Keeps were to become a reality, I could see a separate sub-game where guilds could have skills/equipment/crafting to build siege equipment, traps, defenses etc, which would be completely independent of the single player experience. This could enable 3vGuild-Keep attacks from opposing guilds or teams.

Aerensiniac
09-24-2013, 07:14 AM
These I'm wary about. It's very easy for these to become "unless you join a guild and get these benefits, you're always going to be at a disadvantage".

Granted, we already have the Guild Leader's 10% XP bonus but that will unlikely affect a significant number of guilds due to mergers or people with that bonus not forming a guild but joining one.Well, the thing is that having a guild without any type of benefits is a bad idea. Warframe had this for quite a while till U7 (i think) and there is FireFall too with the same issue that being in a guild doesnt mean anything. Its basically an extended friend's list with 0 point or meaning.
Also, no matter how you look at it, the 10% XP bonus already means that you are at a disadvantage if you are not in one of those guilds.

Hex is advertised as a cross between TCG and MMO, as such it would be a really bad idea in my opinion to avoid sticking benefits to being in a guild.
I do agree with you that this needs to be done very carefully and with a lot of restraint, but ultimately, there needs to be feasible and straight reasons to join, maintain and extend guilds.
Guilds are pretty much the only way for HEX to manifest MMO on a social level. Its not like in WoW or any other mmo where you have a character and you can simply walk up to other players. I assume that in hex, guilds will be the avatars of the mmo concept.

So yeah.
Better have a lot of reasons to join guilds and a lot of things to work on while inside of them, from daily quests, to guild achievements, everything.
Otherwise we will end up with a pretty damn shallow experience in terms of "MMO".

chromus
09-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I've read most of the posts and some people seem to think giving guild perks/awards in the form of PvE bonuses is harmless for the PvP side of the game. I admit I am new to the game(slacked my way into the backers last week!) so correct me if I'm wrong, but since the PvE and PvP loots/currencies are freely traded in the auction house, giving guilds PvE bonuses would in fact make it easier/faster for them to farm PvE, then exchange all into PvP currency or buy PvP cards. This kind of advantage would force anyone wanting to remain competitive into joining guilds.

Guilds should not have features/achievements/unlocks that give its players economical advantages in any way over non-guild players. Otherwise, you're pretty much making people join these smaller communities which tend to suffer in the long run. Leave the solo competitors be. The reasons for joining a guild should be to socialize/interact/track progress of the individuals in your group and perhaps compete with other such groups for bragging rights. Not min/max, zerg, and crush loners.

Keep the game fair for all and its appeal will last. Just my 2 cents.

Aerensiniac
09-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Guilds should not have features/achievements/unlocks that give its players economical advantages in any way over non-guild players.Some of the higher kickstarter tiers had guild related bonuses to it, such as the +10% XP one.
Also, if you say that guilds should have no bonuses to them, go a bit further and explain what the point of a guild would be, because as far as i see it, there would be hardly any, and if the guilds buckle, then the MMO feature will partially buckle too since the social features will almost fully go out the nearest window.

Xenavire
09-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Some of the higher kickstarter tiers had guild related bonuses to it, such as the +10% XP one.
Also, if you say that guilds should have no bonuses to them, go a bit further and explain what the point of a guild would be, because as far as i see it, there would be hardly any, and if the guilds buckle, then the MMO feature will partially buckle too since the social features will almost fully go out the nearest window.

If you look at WoW, it is nearly impossible to get new members for a guild until you have a lot of perks. At least the exp ones, and most people will still choose a higher level guild. And this is still happening post nerf, after they brought down the exp needed to get to 25 by a massive amount. Before the nerf it was far worse.

There are ways to make guilds attractive without making them horrible for new guilds later down the line. So it is most definitely not required to have 10% extra gold drops ot 10% extra exp. There are better ways.

Aerensiniac
09-25-2013, 04:03 AM
If you look at WoW, it is nearly impossible to get new members for a guild until you have a lot of perks. At least the exp ones, and most people will still choose a higher level guild. And this is still happening post nerf, after they brought down the exp needed to get to 25 by a massive amount. Before the nerf it was far worse.
Thats not really an excuse.
Warframe suffered from the same issue till the devs made it possible for requirements to scale with the amount of players the guild can house.
If your guild can hold only 10 players, you get the hundredth of requirements compared to the ones holding 1000.
Events and everything involving guild play are scaled accordingly.
The system works perfectly fine.

There are ways to make guilds attractive without making them horrible for new guilds later down the line. So it is most definitely not required to have 10% extra gold drops ot 10% extra exp. There are better ways.Name a few just so we have a few examples.
Keep in mind tho, that this is not wow. You dont have cosmetic items that you can hang around your avatar and show off to other people in an open world. HEX wont have avatars to walk around with. All you will have are cards and customization that is visible (most-likely) on to yourself.

chromus
09-25-2013, 04:13 AM
There are indeed plenty of ways to make guilds attractive without introducing bonuses to xp/loot/gold, etc. There has been many good suggestions like guild-only and guild vs guild tourneys, deck sharing & pvp play-testing, performance & contribution rankings. You can even have guild-leveling with the unlocks giving more guild functionality (more tourneys, more deck/treasure slots, different modes of guild vs guild warfare, etc) rather than resource-farm bonuses. I understand many people come from MMOs that do provide such inherent advantages to more established guilds. But take a moment and ask yourself what you enjoy about being in a friendly and coherent guild. What portion of your enjoyment comes from the 10% xp bonus?

Xenavire
09-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Thats not really an excuse.
Warframe suffered from the same issue till the devs made it possible for requirements to scale with the amount of players the guild can house.
If your guild can hold only 10 players, you get the hundredth of requirements compared to the ones holding 1000.
Events and everything involving guild play are scaled accordingly.
The system works perfectly fine.
Name a few just so we have a few examples.
Keep in mind tho, that this is not wow. You dont have cosmetic items that you can hang around your avatar and show off to other people in an open world. HEX wont have avatars to walk around with. All you will have are cards and customization that is visible (most-likely) on to yourself.

With the scaling, it could work, but how does it encourage people to join smaller guilds? As far as I can tell, if there is no difference in how it fast they level, but the game still has perks, people would still join the big guilds, because there are already benefits to joining.

And you are right, this isn't WoW, what exactly is your point? You are wrong about cosmetics, they are most certainly in the game (sleeves/keeps) and that has nothing to do with guilds.

There are plenty of inventive ways to make guilds more attractive, from guild sleeves/keeps, to the 'deck sharing'. Creating trading hubs, etc. No need for poorly executed passive boosts.

And IF they choose to have levelling guilds, it should be an open tree of perks that people can choose at any time during levelling. Using WoW as an example again, low levelled players would join anything with the exp boosts, while high level players would usually wait for a level 25 guild for mass ress, and before it was removed, have group will travel.

We don't need that in Hex.

Aerensiniac
09-25-2013, 02:58 PM
With the scaling, it could work, but how does it encourage people to join smaller guilds? As far as I can tell, if there is no difference in how it fast they level, but the game still has perks, people would still join the big guilds, because there are already benefits to joining.
Well i know for a fact that i would join a guild that is smaller, organized and social.
There is zero point in belonging to a guild that consists of 3000 people and doesnt give a damn about anything or anyone since its impossible to organize in any form or way. Its like being in a guild, but at the same time not, because you could not keep up with the flood of ppl and chat even if you wanted to.

So yeah. Imo a guild that hand picks its members and has standards advertises itself and is a higher prio choice than a player dumpster that looks like 4chan's /b/ on the inside.

And you are right, this isn't WoW, what exactly is your point? You are wrong about cosmetics, they are most certainly in the game (sleeves/keeps) and that has nothing to do with guilds.The point is exactly that. You do not have an avatar which you can dress up and show off. There will be sleeves, foil and custom art cards, but any form of cosmetics are SEVERELY limited.
Since the game is not avatar based, social interactions and everything along with it will be limited too, cause you cant just walk up to others like you do in wow and chat. Hex is not an open world concept.

Thats why i said that guilds will play a critical and essential role when it comes to the "MMO" feel inside a TCG game.
If guilds do not have a fundamentally strong meaning and presence in the game then i think that the "MMO" will really bleed out of Hex.

There are plenty of inventive ways to make guilds more attractive, from guild sleeves/keeps, to the 'deck sharing'. Creating trading hubs, etc. No need for poorly executed passive boosts.

And IF they choose to have levelling guilds, it should be an open tree of perks that people can choose at any time during levelling. Using WoW as an example again, low levelled players would join anything with the exp boosts, while high level players would usually wait for a level 25 guild for mass ress, and before it was removed, have group will travel.

We don't need that in Hex.Thing is that all of these things give a point to guilds.
The only game where i have seen the concept of guild play completed to perfection was ragnarok online, and yes: You can skip trees and bonuses and whatever, but the question will remain: What do you replace it with?
Because i can tell you here and now that deck trading is not really going to work out, since thats crypto shooting itself in the leg in terms of money. Why would anyone buy anything if they can just grab a random deck off their guild or friends? This would hardly work out on long term.

Well anyway, i am pro guild skills.
I have seen a hundred different attempts to put tone on guilds while trying not to hand out anything too badass to the players.
It did not work out. The results have been always third-class, meaningless, cliché contents, stinking of sweat and wallowing in fear of breaking the game engine and/or balance.
You can make failure, mass production goods like that, but not a game.
Either you do it for the fun of playing, or you are doing it for nothing else but an over dignified business model ala EA and Blizzard.

Xenavire
09-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Well i know for a fact that i would join a guild that is smaller, organized and social.
There is zero point in belonging to a guild that consists of 3000 people and doesnt give a damn about anything or anyone since its impossible to organize in any form or way. Its like being in a guild, but at the same time not, because you could not keep up with the flood of ppl and chat even if you wanted to.

So yeah. Imo a guild that hand picks its members and has standards advertises itself and is a higher prio choice than a player dumpster that looks like 4chan's /b/ on the inside.

Not true. At least for beginners, they flock to the big guilds in droves. The old hands might splinter off into smaller guilds, but by that time they have their core members already, and tend to not actually invite many new people. But the big guilds thrive, and it doesn't matter how bad they are for communicating, the fact that they have the perks and many members makes them attractive to people. I am part of a guild that is repeatedly passed up because we do not have enough active members to attract people - players want the big guilds, not a 5-10 man operation.

And it doesn't matter that we reached the guilds level cap anymore, enough other guilds have those perks - so players go, and always go, to the larger guilds. Especially any that have any kind of raiding fame.

The point is exactly that. You do not have an avatar which you can dress up and show off. There will be sleeves, foil and custom art cards, but any form of cosmetics are SEVERELY limited.
Since the game is not avatar based, social interactions and everything along with it will be limited too, cause you cant just walk up to others like you do in wow and chat. Hex is not an open world concept.

When was the last time you played WoW? Guilds are entirely text based unless you are raiding or doing some kind of qorld event. I have been in plenty of guilds and never met any of the members face to face, knowing them entirely through text. If not for raiding, there would be no reason to meet people face to face. Passing people in Org or SW doesn't really count.

Thats why i said that guilds will play a critical and essential role when it comes to the "MMO" feel inside a TCG game.
If guilds do not have a fundamentally strong meaning and presence in the game then i think that the "MMO" will really bleed out of Hex.

Thing is that all of these things give a point to guilds.
The only game where i have seen the concept of guild play completed to perfection was ragnarok online, and yes: You can skip trees and bonuses and whatever, but the question will remain: What do you replace it with?
Because i can tell you here and now that deck trading is not really going to work out, since thats crypto shooting itself in the leg in terms of money. Why would anyone buy anything if they can just grab a random deck off their guild or friends? This would hardly work out on long term.

Ragnarok online? The entire guild tree was based around PvP. And actually having a castle - you got barely any perks to help you gain control of the castle. No PvE perks that I can remember. Basically, if you were a PvE player you were better off without a guild. Ragnarok online was a pathetic excuse in terms of guilds - the only thing keeping a guild together was the fear that you would lose the castle, or the desire to win one.

Well anyway, i am pro guild skills.
I have seen a hundred different attempts to put tone on guilds while trying not to hand out anything too badass to the players.
It did not work out. The results have been always third-class, meaningless, cliché contents, stinking of sweat and wallowing in fear of breaking the game engine and/or balance.
You can make failure, mass production goods like that, but not a game.
Either you do it for the fun of playing, or you are doing it for nothing else but an over dignified business model ala EA and Blizzard.

Passive perks do upset the balance, and badly. Handing out the badass things makes it worse. There should be things you can achieve as a guild, and rewards for that, but it should not be a passive that anyone can just go pick up by joining a few weeks or months later. I just feel like you can do more interesting things to make guilds interesting without making them mandatory.

So I will try adding new ideas. One I thought of was guild titles (similar to personal titles) that are handed out based on events the guild has been a part of. The guild beat a raid? The might get a collective title. Imagine a guild like Murder Inc with the title of The Hiveminds, as an example. So the guild name would be displayed as "Murder inc; The Hiveminds." Adding prefixes and suffixes to guildnames might be an interesting and appealing thing for a new player.

Having custom ban lists for casual play inside the guild could make interesting metagames. Organising events across different days could make for pseudo 'Friday night magic' days that would be unique to each guild. And to be honest, it would be a lot less of a commitment that it would be to joining a hardcore raiding team, if you miss a night of your league or whatever, your opponent gets a win.

There are many featurs you could add that do not require levelling or perks, and still have guilds being very compelling. I would rather all the guilds being on an equal footing from the get-go, and they all go about attracting members with their unique selling points, rather than based on which guilds have raiding spots or the most perks.

Aerensiniac
09-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Not true. At least for beginners, they flock to the big guilds in droves. The old hands might splinter off into smaller guilds, but by that time they have their core members already, and tend to not actually invite many new people. But the big guilds thrive, and it doesn't matter how bad they are for communicating, the fact that they have the perks and many members makes them attractive to people. I am part of a guild that is repeatedly passed up because we do not have enough active members to attract people - players want the big guilds, not a 5-10 man operation.

And it doesn't matter that we reached the guilds level cap anymore, enough other guilds have those perks - so players go, and always go, to the larger guilds. Especially any that have any kind of raiding fame.Not true either. Ofc a no-name small guild that doesnt really do anything to advertise itself, will be handicapped in terms of recruitment compared to larger guilds, however thats that and nothing more.
If you take recruiting seriously and not just "I will wait till ppl start asking me to join" then you can make a good guild.
I've done it multiple times in multiple games. Larger guilds advertise them self with their numbers. Its true that if you want to make a quality guild then you need to get up your ass and do something for it.

When was the last time you played WoW? Guilds are entirely text based unless you are raiding or doing some kind of qorld event. I have been in plenty of guilds and never met any of the members face to face, knowing them entirely through text. If not for raiding, there would be no reason to meet people face to face. Passing people in Org or SW doesn't really count.Where you are meeting whom does not matter. The point is that you have an avatar.
The concept of the avatar is what i am talking about, which is the difference between having a controllable character in an open world environment that other players can see too, and being literally nothing but a nick name that has an album of cards attached to it.

I really cant explain this any simpler for you.
As for the rest: Guild bonuses do not have to be a passive thing in a character tree with a brutal bonus.
Guild wars 2 makes you research a bonus first, then you have to invest in it to make it active for a set amount of time. Yes. That means that if you want the bonus on, you will have to work a bit for it to turn it on and/or craft it.

Xenavire
09-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Not true either. Ofc a no-name small guild that doesnt really do anything to advertise itself, will be handicapped in terms of recruitment compared to larger guilds, however thats that and nothing more.
If you take recruiting seriously and not just "I will wait till ppl start asking me to join" then you can make a good guild.
I've done it multiple times in multiple games. Larger guilds advertise them self with their numbers. Its true that if you want to make a quality guild then you need to get up your ass and do something for it.

Where you are meeting whom does not matter. The point is that you have an avatar.
The concept of the avatar is what i am talking about, which is the difference between having a controllable character in an open world environment that other players can see too, and being literally nothing but a nick name that has an album of cards attached to it.

I really cant explain this any simpler for you.
As for the rest: Guild bonuses do not have to be a passive thing in a character tree with a brutal bonus.
Guild wars 2 makes you research a bonus first, then you have to invest in it to make it active for a set amount of time. Yes. That means that if you want the bonus on, you will have to work a bit for it to turn it on and/or craft it.

But we do have 'avatars' of a sort, representations of ourselves. They are just more free and loose in terms of changing how they look, or having alts. First is your keep, which is a static representation. Then you have champions, which in PvE are basically our characters and alts. Then you have sleeves, mercs, and PvP champs. It is fairly easy to set yourself up a personality that is recognisable, and at the least you can use a PvE champ as your avatar. Just because you don't walk around doesn't mean it isn't an avatar.

And no, your last suggestion is even worse, only amplifying the issues. A new guild will have to invest more and more time to catch up to a large established guild if they need to spend time and resources to get perks. Especially if you have levelling guilds.

For guilds, more than anything else, the barrier to entry should be as low as possible. There should be no punishment or missing out for joining a new guild

Cato
09-29-2013, 07:14 AM
I would like to endorse the following community ideas already expressed:

Guild Ranks - customisable tags, with admin and officer distinction.
Guild player list - with online notifications whilst in lobby/guild screen
In game calendar - with customisable events and notifications
Guild Test Decks - submitted by guild members with feedback options
Full Chat functionality - as stok3d mentioned
Internal Guild trade/auction - private auction house in guild
Customisable Guild Crests / Logo- for guild page, would have to be screened by CzE.
In Guild tournament hosting
Inter-guild tournment hosting
Guild Keep - customisable

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet:

Guild Tag or image - next to player name in game. e.g. 'TUC | Cato' or 'Cato <tiny Guild logo 20x20 pixel>'
Private Server options - either external or Cze internal, rentable. Guilds play each other and test decks privately

Lastly I read somewhere in the last 16 pages about the issue of replacing an absent GM. There could be a Request CzE Guild Support option added onto the existing game account support where players in a Guild paralysed with no admins could email, requesting a review and possible exception made to create a new admin and so 'unlock' the guild again.

Xenavire
09-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I would like to endorse the following community ideas already expressed:

Guild Ranks - customisable tags, with admin and officer distinction.
Guild player list - with online notifications whilst in lobby/guild screen
In game calendar - with customisable events and notifications
Guild Test Decks - submitted by guild members with feedback options
Full Chat functionality - as stok3d mentioned
Internal Guild trade/auction - private auction house in guild
Customisable Guild Crests / Logo- for guild page, would have to be screened by CzE.
In Guild tournament hosting
Inter-guild tournment hosting
Guild Keep - customisable

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet:

Guild Tag or image - next to player name in game. e.g. 'TUC | Cato' or 'Cato <tiny Guild logo 20x20 pixel>'
Private Server options - either external or Cze internal, rentable. Guilds play each other and test decks privately

Lastly I read somewhere in the last 16 pages about the issue of replacing an absent GM. There could be a Request CzE Guild Support option added onto the existing game account support where players in a Guild paralysed with no admins could email, requesting a review and possible exception made to create a new admin and so 'unlock' the guild again.

I completely agree with the guild leader help request thing. WoW tried something and it sucked horribly. And they tried to fix it and it got worse. So this would be a nice thing to have.

Aerensiniac
09-29-2013, 12:32 PM
But we do have 'avatars' of a sort, representations of ourselves. They are just more free and loose in terms of changing how they look, or having alts. First is your keep, which is a static representation. Then you have champions, which in PvE are basically our characters and alts. Then you have sleeves, mercs, and PvP champs. It is fairly easy to set yourself up a personality that is recognisable, and at the least you can use a PvE champ as your avatar. Just because you don't walk around doesn't mean it isn't an avatar.Remains to be seen. I have SEVERE doubts about this.

And no, your last suggestion is even worse, only amplifying the issues. A new guild will have to invest more and more time to catch up to a large established guild if they need to spend time and resources to get perks. Especially if you have levelling guilds.No, not at all, since my first point was resource and requirements scaling /guild size.
That way everyone has to work relatively the same amount, no matter the size of the guild. It worked perfectly fine in Warframe.

Also, i would like to address the "advantage if you are in a guild" idea, since there is a huge contradiction going on and its worth thinking about:
If guilds offer ANYTHING, and i literally mean ANYTHING that is unique to guilds in terms of achievements, customization, items, what the hell ever, then those who are not in a guild are ALREADY penalized for not being in one.
Following this logic, just because you do not like the idea of belonging to a guild, nobody should have the option to be in a guild since they get advantages over you.

This line of thinking is as irrational as it can get:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/055/5/4/the_happy_train_by_fleet_feet-d4qv2a8.jpg

At a certain point you have to simply accept the fact that a guild is more successful than you as a single player are, and by definition they have an advantage over you. Whether this gap is further broadened by passive bonuses and skill trees or not is a different question, but i kinda do not support the notion that the majority should bend over for the minority and sit onto a nail bed because some people think bad of guilds.

Xenavire
09-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Remains to be seen. I have SEVERE doubts about this.

No, not at all, since my first point was resource and requirements scaling /guild size.
That way everyone has to work relatively the same amount, no matter the size of the guild. It worked perfectly fine in Warframe.

Also, i would like to address the "advantage if you are in a guild" idea, since there is a huge contradiction going on and its worth thinking about:
If guilds offer ANYTHING, and i literally mean ANYTHING that is unique to guilds in terms of achievements, customization, items, what the hell ever, then those who are not in a guild are ALREADY penalized for not being in one.
Following this logic, just because you do not like the idea of belonging to a guild, nobody should have the option to be in a guild since they get advantages over you.

This line of thinking is as irrational as it can get:

At a certain point you have to simply accept the fact that a guild is more successful than you as a single player are, and by definition they have an advantage over you. Whether this gap is further broadened by passive bonuses and skill trees or not is a different question, but i kinda do not support the notion that the majority should bend over for the minority and sit onto a nail bed because some people think bad of guilds.

...But this is a TCG. There should be no reason to be forced into a guild barring the desire for a hub of social interaction. A few perks are fine, but most of what has been suggested (not passive stuff) is mostly to do with game modes or PvP versus other guilds, etc. In general, most of it is catered to social people, not penalising solo players.

The other thing is that all guild should be equally attractive. If one manages to appeal more to someone, fine and good, but it shouldn't be done simply via who has the best perks.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt with warframe, I will happily admit ignorance as I have never played it. But with regards to Ragnarok online and WoW (and a few others) I have honestly had more negative experiences (driven by poor perk systems) than I have had good experiences.

I don't know where the idea to have perks to make a good guild came from, but guilds were fine in WoW before the perks. And frankly, the only good perks they added should just be baseline anyway (G-mail for example.) But I remember even in Vanilla WoW, a guild tabbard and a fun community were enough to get members, and the people you were with in the guild made it worth staying.

malloc31
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
I do not think there should be a benefit on being in a larger guild as opposed to a smaller one; larger guilds already have many built in benefits (easier to find people for raids, more people to help you, etc.) I like in games when there are benefits for people progressing up ranks in the guild (progressing usually through donations, or activity (raids/grouping) but that progression is completely independent of the guilds size or the rest of the guild members donations. So if player A donates 500 and is in a small guild and player B donates 500 but is in a large guild they still get the exact same benefit.

malloc31
10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Just to expand on my last post.

You would earn guild points. Something like 1 point for donating 50 gold (this would be adjusted once we know how much gold is worth), 1 point for playing a multiplayer match with a guild mate as a partner (once they add multiplayer to the game), and when raiding you would get 1 point for each guild member on the raid with you.

You would have something like a talent tree to pick from for spending the points; first level stuff would cost 10 points, then 50, then 100 or something along those lines. Benefits could be small things like: 3 extra life when raiding with guild mates, free mulligan when playing multiplayer with guild mates, benefits to your keep defenses (guild helps defend in some way), unlock a new mercenary (guild champion?), etc.

jetah
10-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I didn't read all 160 post but I want to add in my idea.

Guild Invites
I also hate MMO's where you CANNOT invite your own alts. There should be a way to send invites to those that are offline.

Guild Organization
I'd love to be able to tag Alts to a Main. I'd like the ability to have a Main that when clicked would expand to show the alts tagged to it. If the person has to be kicked from the guild, the GM could choose to kick the alt or the Main+alts.

Guild Alliances
Allow Guilds to band together to form Alliances. This would allow those small family like guilds to stay together but allow them and others like them to join together to do bigger things.

The chat system would have to allow a new Alliance channel.

Guild Perks
I'm stuck between given perks from guild ranks like WoW or a talent tree like Rift.

Guild Advertisement
Here are a few ideas that exist in other games. I'll try my best to have links to provide examples.
• TSW (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=39547) - Chat has the ability to create HTML style pages. This allows a Guild Recruiter to post a link that opens a window with detailed Guild Information.
• Rift - Rift has a Guild Recruitment UI where you can select what type of gamer you are (hardcore, casual, etc), what role you are (however every class can do all 3, coming 3.0), even how big of a guild you're looking for.

Guild Forums
I love how FFXIV has the Lodestone. But each Free Company also has basic Forums. Now these forums are public and can be searched by anyone.

dogmod
10-06-2013, 05:07 PM
One thing I thought of is how to incorporate iPad/Android people into guilds. Guilds are a traditional MMO concept but we will be having lots of people who will be playing on tablets who will not find it necessarily easy to participate in guild conversations or other forms of communications on their iPad. Also, If I am on my iPad I would like ways to jump right into a guild activity without much difficulty.

My idea would be to have PvE guild quests that anyone in the guild can do that would give the guild points/gold/ranking or whatever and have a button that you click that basically says. "Go to guild quest!" And it will auto drop you into a guild quest with a primer screen and the initial info. Wouldn't it be great to be able to open up Hex on your iPad and immediately be able to jump into content that is not only fun but you feel like you are immediately doing something to progress yourself and your guild and you don't have to go into guild chat/organize a raid or otherwise.

Another option would be a LFR guild system that is easy and intuitive to setup.

The other consideration is how guild recruitment should work when considering tablet users.

Tablet users are going to not be talking as much and may find it more difficult to not only express themselves to guilds but also for guilds to be able to explain to them their basic philosophy. This would lead me to allowing guilds to have splash pages or recruitment pages that a tablet user could easily peruse, and that could be perused through some type of "Guild's Looking for Player's" function. Open your table.. I want to join a guild.. Go to guild section and look at the splash pages for all of the guilds doing open recruiting. Allows tablet players the ability to try and identify a guild that fits them and then they can persue those guilds for admission.

I think that the cross talk between tablets and PC players really needs to be considered in some slick ways. Not just for guilds but otherwise. You want to make the tablet experience not only smooth but also enjoyable and there are some differences that really need to be addressed.

jetah
10-06-2013, 05:41 PM
iPad users can still chat (there are number of external keyboards) and you can use Siri to dictate.

I assume that the PvE will be near instant action (save for the Raid where you need 3).

dogmod
10-07-2013, 12:04 AM
iPad users can still chat (there are number of external keyboards) and you can use Siri to dictate.

I assume that the PvE will be near instant action (save for the Raid where you need 3).

It is not about making it possible for them to do something but to make it fun and reasonable. Saying that someone needs an external keyboard for their iPad to chat and take full advantage is a bit dismissive. There is a huge market and I hope Hex takes advantage of it not only by simply porting their product but by innovating a way to make the MMO part really enjoyable for a tablet audience.

Perhaps you have examples of games that have heavy utilization of typing interface with the iPad and MMO?