PDA

View Full Version : Alternate art skin packs

YouMustChoose
08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
So I've been trying to come up with an idea that would help Cory and the gang make more money and ensure the continuity of this game in which I have invested so much money, love and attention. Also I want them to have a revenue stream that does not rely entirely upon releasing more cards, that way they can focus more on balance and less on getting it out on time. Forgive me if this idea has been done before it's been a while since I've been on the forums.

What I propose is for there to be alternate art skins that would be available for sale in pack form at the main store. Skins would have rarities just like cards thus making them collectables. These skins would be able to be sold individually on the secondary market, broken down for crafting or applied permanently to a card adding to its value. I think players should then have a choice as to what skin a card will display when being played or shown off in the deck showcase.

Some of you no doubt wonder why not simply sell the individual skins on the main market so people know what they are paying for? Well to answer I would say that this idea appeals more to the card collector within me. If I spend a ton of money on a deck that now looks pretty, it isn't as satisfying as if I spent a ton of money collecting all the skins I wanted from various places at varying prices in order to make my deck look pretty. Plus this adds more value and complexity to the secondary market as opposed to simply selling skins straight to the public, so in a way it allows people to recap their investment in the same way they can do so by selling cards.

Pros:
More stuff on secondary market
More alternate art available
Interesting collection dynamic for those like me who love collecting
Gives alternate art a "value" on the marketplace

Cons:
More difficult to collect than straight skins sold at market
Could get a pack that contains no skins you can apply

Anyway I'm open to suggestions and arguments. I have not put numbers on anything, such as the number of skins per pack, as numbers would be totally relative to the amount of alternate art available for sale.

felmare
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I dont think this would affect me personally in anyway. Collecting is not my thing and alternative art would add no value to any card.

MasterN64
08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
The only time alternate art adds value is when its a limited time deal like many of the free cards handed out at events and such. The more you do it the less its worth. If every card has alternate art then its no longer rare and has less value. Meanwhile if they only hand out alternates at cons and from the collector tier they might actually be worth money.

Shadowelf
08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I dont think this would affect me personally in anyway. Collecting is not my thing and alternative art would add no value to any card.

Heh don't tell this to people that bought Collector's tiers, as they won't take it well :p

The only time alternate art adds value is when its a limited time deal like many of the free cards handed out at events and such. The more you do it the less its worth. If every card has alternate art then its no longer rare and has less value. Meanwhile if they only hand out alternates at cons and from the collector tier they might actually be worth money.

This, plus if there will be many cards with AA, it will feel confusing to new people joining the game, as they will have to learn to recognize twice the size of the card pool

keldrin
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
well, it's a nice thought.
But, as has been said, it would diminish the value of the existing ways to get alternate art cards.
And, there is expense associated with making new art.
I guess if it was done, it could be random alts, for the current card sets available.
I'm going to say, it would need to be high in cost, if implemented. To keep everyone from having huge amounts of alt art cards.
So, Something like $10 for 10 "art stickers". The people who would actually want this will pay for it. Everyone else won't care.

Stok3d
08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Cory has stated in the past that he doesn't intend to "nickel and dime us" with charging us for frivolous items. It was stated in a podcast, but essentially they intend to make money from packs, drafts/tournament fees. The other stuff will drop from treasure chests or essentially be given as awards or purchasable in game.

As a side note, I'm not a fan at all of this. While I commend the intent, I don't like being able to purchase a specific card straight from a store. Everyone would want the cards to be chase rares--so why even crack a pack if you can get your playset rares for (as stated in an example above) for $1 per? Also, as a collector, this would dilute the value of having the 6x alt cards per year.

If there is going to be an alt art for a card, I'd prefer it to be unlocked in game from achieving something, participating in some special event, etc. Using the comparisons with WoW and their mounts/pets purchasable from the store, I thought of it as a gouge tactic from the company. I'm happy to know it's not going to happen here.