PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness an update!

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I needed something else to talk about, so that I remain civil!

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Let us talk then, good sir!

The Hunting Pack looks decent/good for limited, but it's too expensive just to be on curve for constructed (to compare, for the same initial mana cost you can play Boulder Brute already as a 4/4). I mean, you can just compare it to Living Totem, which is cheaper, more versatile, and still only belongs in certain decks. :-P In PvE it could have a place in some decks, but then, so could most cards.

The Colossus, while big and nasty (which will mean that some PvE decks will enjoy it), will likely be too expensive for constructed PvP. It's pretty bomby so if the limited format is slow enough it'll be a strong pick in drafts, but 9 mana always requires caution. In particular, the 'transform 9 sources' equipment is pretty fun for PvE.

I loved the sound of the wendigo/werewolf dungeon. I love werewolf (well, I play Mafia on SC2, but it's the same thing), so getting such a fun dungeon concept in Hex scores a big tick from me.

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Spot on, on the assessments. I dig the colossus, but he's very costy. Luckily green has a lot of ramp... Still Too much.

In other news, Cory, and ben stoll are headed to dragon*con for panels! No playable hex there which is a shame, but I can at least go bug them.

Mercadian
08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Two new GenCon Decks :-) "Both the Coyotle Sapphire deck and the Orc Ruby deck will be added to our Gen Con server! We're going to add them to the Gen Con list of decks later today"

Shadowelf
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Both cards don't excite me; Nibblin Hunting Pack will only see limited play and the Colossus appears to be a bulk rare unless it can enter play by alternative means. Wendingo Hunt dungeon sure looks interesting

hex_colin
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
In other news, Cory, and ben stoll are headed to dragon*con for panels! No playable hex there which is a shame, but I can at least go bug them.

I broke this news in No Man's Land a couple of days back ;)

Anyone planning to go to DragonCon? I have a membership, but I need to be in Paris on Monday 2nd, so I was debating about whether or not going for Friday and Saturday would be worth it.

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
I have to go every year. Friday and saturday are usually the hopping days. Not a whole lot going on sunday generally.

Chiany
08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Woop, another update with no real important news, especially for not US citizens.

Hope the stream gives us some actual usefull news.

hammer
08-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Well the two new decks being added to the database might give us some new or updated cards with any luck.

Stok3d
08-09-2013, 01:32 PM
*Happy Dance*

The update is here! And we get more specifics about GenCon. Thank you!

Icepick
08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
The second GenCon Merc was revealed in the Kickstarter update, Portensio of Avon - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts

Honestly, not a huge fan. His third power to sacrifice a troop and destroy a troop is nice, and I guess the Troop creation combos nicely with the other 2 powers, but it's just not wowing me as much as Gax did.
I'm a big fan of the Wrathwood Colossus, personally, but I'm a sucker for huge troops! I'd rather have a Living Totem over the Hunting Pack though.

hammer
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I am not going to GenCon - but will it be possible for people who do to get multiple copies of the Alt Art Ozawa or will this be limited to 1-2 copies per person. What stops someone sitting down for 10 hours winning 20 games and cashing in for a handful of them?

MoikPEI
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Three different rewards for playing at GenCon. I remember something about opening chests during GenCon 2014 will have GenCon 2013 rewards. Will these three rewards be available in those chests?

Icepick
08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Pretty jealous of people who get to go to GenCon. Getting to play Hex for starters, but I really want me one of those AA Ozawa cards! I know they'll be available in the game next year and I'll probably be able to pick one up at some point, but I really love that card art, it's waaay better than the default!

Maphalux
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Three different rewards for playing at GenCon. I remember something about opening chests during GenCon 2014 will have GenCon 2013 rewards. Will these three rewards be available in those chests?

Not the sleeves, I know that much. Those are "you were there" items.

MoikPEI
08-09-2013, 01:46 PM
From what I understand, sleeves are tradeable, correct?

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Honestly, not a huge fan. His third power to sacrifice a troop and destroy a troop is nice, and I guess the Troop creation combos nicely with the other 2 powers, but it's just not wowing me as much as Gax did.
It's definitely not just select-him-and-play, but the "whenever a troop enters the battlefield this turn troops you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" power has potential, if we use the somewhat-recent Goldnight Commander from Magic (Avacyn Restored) as an example. I mean, at level 20 you can spend 2 charge powers to turn on the power and give all your troops an initial +1/+1, and then something like Runts of the Litter and all your troops get +3/+3 for the turn. You could even activate it before a big Eye of Creation in order to have a higher chance of winning that turn.

Of course, that's all specifics - in a vacuum I agree that it's pretty underwhelming. Though I do like the 'power' of the passive at lv 20 - play the 1 cost ability, then the 2 cost, then the 4 cost (for 4 charges in total), to give all your troops +1/+1 for the turn and destroy one of their troops (saccing your gimpy little 0/1).

hammer

Yasi is that you?

jaxsonbatemanhex
I'm pretty sure sleeves were one of the few things that aren't tradeable.

Icepick
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
It's definitely not just select-him-and-play, but the "whenever a troop enters the battlefield this turn troops you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" power has potential, if we use the somewhat-recent Goldnight Commander from Magic (Avacyn Restored) as an example. I mean, at level 20 you can spend 2 charge powers to turn on the power and give all your troops an initial +1/+1, and then something like Runts of the Litter and all your troops get +3/+3 for the turn. You could even activate it before a big Eye of Creation in order to have a higher chance of winning that turn.

Of course, that's all specifics - in a vacuum I agree that it's pretty underwhelming. Though I do like the 'power' of the passive at lv 20 - play the 1 cost ability, then the 2 cost, then the 4 cost (for 4 charges in total), to give all your troops +1/+1 for the turn and destroy one of their troops (saccing your gimpy little 0/1).

Yeah that's a good point, I hadn't thought about stuff like Runts of the Litter. I guess if you saved a couple of those in your hand and had a few troops out already, you could massively overrun the board by playing both RotL at the same time. I still prefer Gax though, but that's because I'm a huge D&D nerd :D

Shadowelf
08-09-2013, 02:03 PM

True here is the article that confirms it http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

Nope sleeves are and will remain untradeable; Info for the tradeability of sleeves is provided within the article i linked; also here http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24425&page=21&p=268730#post268730

felmare
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
True here is the article that confirms it http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

Nope sleeves are and will remain untradeable; Info for the tradeability of sleeves is provided within the article i linked; also here http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24425&page=21&p=268730#post268730
This stinks cuz i would love those sleeves :S

wurtil
08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Sleeves aren't tradeable, but since no one has accounts the prizes will probably be codes on a card to use later. So these sleeve may not be tradeable but they may be obtainable...

Icepick
08-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Lots of cool information from the live stream that just ended. A bunch of new cards, and the revelation that Rage stacks!
The GenCon decklist is apparently going to be updated with the new decks, so those new cards should be visible on there sooner or later.

Phearbot
08-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Any news about Alpha???

the_artic_one
08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Cory confirmed alpha for late September on the stream

Phearbot
08-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Too bad... last time I chacked Alpha was planned for late August : (

hitchslap88
08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Can someone please upload the stream to youtube? I can't get it on my kindle.

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Alpha was never planned for late august, beta was planned for sometime in september and we as a forum hoped that sometime was september 1st, and the alpha would be 3 weeks before beta, so we assumed august. Instead, beta has been pushed back to after september, and alpha will hopefully be end of septemberish.

Nicalapegus
08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
@Phearbot: Alpha wasn't planned for August. And besides, OMG ONE MONTH!!!! Who cares man.

Ravallian
08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
As much as I want to play this like.....Now. I do not mind the Dev delaying it if it means that the experience will be more complete, solid and polish as in the long run it'll be better for the game as a whole. Although I was always anticipating alpha in September.

Nicalapegus
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
@Ravallian: Alpha is in September.

Stok3d
08-09-2013, 09:07 PM
For those who don't read the comments on KS:

creator cryptozoic entertainment (http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/cze) 35 minutes ago (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/564905?cursor=3962243#comment-3962242)

Hi all. I hope you all heard by now that cory confirmed a playable alpha at the end of September.

There are no dragoncon exclusives. We don't have an official floor presence there.
those two mercenaries and aa ozawa will be potential pulls from the treasure packs next year during gen con 2014, so every pack has the potential to have one of those three items.

As for letting people play remotely during the gen con weekend, scaling isn't that easy. Two computers is harder than one computer, four computers harder than two, 16 harder than those four. 17,765 players harder than those sixteen. And hex is still growing, in a phase where it needs to keep connecting with people who may have missed the one-month kickstarter window. Alongside our mission to bring the game to you as quickly as possible, the community must continue to grow. People getting access to demo the game next week isn't by default a slight against people who will get to touch the game in something like four weeks.

Ginaz
08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
At least we have a kinda sorta firm timeline for alpha. End of Sept. can't come soon enough.:)

Chiany
08-09-2013, 09:43 PM
At least we have a kinda sorta firm timeline for alpha. End of Sept. can't come soon enough.:)

And indirectly for the Beta too, since Beta will come after 2 or 3 weeks after Alpha.

Stok3d
08-09-2013, 10:27 PM
I was late watching the twitch and am fact 10mins in. Did anyone else notice at the 10:00 mark http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/443356012 that the Ancestral Specter (when the mouse isn't moved) has some type of animation going on with the background of the card? I don't think this is foil related. Either way I believe it looks pretty sharp!

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice! I missed that, but have been hoping they implement something like that. DoTP 2014 used it to great effect on certain cards.

ossuary
08-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I still need to get to watching the feed, but it's going to be a couple of days yet, as I'm up in Big Bear right now on a really shitty connection, and I'll be traveling back to Canada tomorrow with no access (wahh!). Soon, though... :)

Ginaz
08-09-2013, 11:10 PM
And indirectly for the Beta too, since Beta will come after 2 or 3 weeks after Alpha.

Forgot about that. Even better news, then.:D

Nicalapegus
08-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I really liked that they put out a new stream with a new deck. But it was a little underwhelming =/

Only ~hour of play with 1 new deck(we had seen orcs before).

Anticipation is building...

Icepick
08-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I really liked that they put out a new stream with a new deck. But it was a little underwhelming =/

Only ~hour of play with 1 new deck(we had seen orcs before).

Anticipation is building...

An hour of play is all anyone expected, and we got to see like 9 new cards in addition to the 2 new ones revealed in the regular update! There's just no pleasing some people :P

Maphalux
08-10-2013, 08:31 AM
I was very happy with the stream. We got to see some really cool sapphire cards that I can't wait to play with. And I love that they are taking the time to do the streams for us since they don't have to. Thanks, CZE.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I was late watching the twitch and am fact 10mins in. Did anyone else notice at the 10:00 mark http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/443356012 that the Ancestral Specter (when the mouse isn't moved) has some type of animation going on with the background of the card? I don't think this is foil related. Either way I believe it looks pretty sharp!

I think it most probably is foil related; it reminds me of the effect that foils have when you turn them towards the light at a certain angle; it gives you the impression that the light travels across the surface of the card

Nice catch btw

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I watched the stream a little while ago, and noticed this happened with many, if not all cards they zoomed in.

Punk
08-10-2013, 10:05 AM
An hour of play is all anyone expected, and we got to see like 9 new cards in addition to the 2 new ones revealed in the regular update! There's just no pleasing some people :P

I only saw the 2 new cards in the update and have been too busy to watch the stream. These new cards posted anywhere yet?

Hemlock
08-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I only saw the 2 new cards in the update and have been too busy to watch the stream. These new cards posted anywhere yet?

They're in the bottom two decks here! (http://hextcg.com/gen-con-decklists/)

That sapphire deck makes my heart go all a-flutter. Flock of Seagulls might be my new favorite card.

hex_colin
08-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Flock of Seagulls might be my new favorite card.

I have "I Ran" stuck in my head now because of that damn card! :P

Maphalux
08-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I have "I Ran" stuck in my head now because of that damn card! :P

Glad I'm not the only one. I've been humming it all day.

Punk
08-10-2013, 10:43 AM
They're in the bottom two decks here! (http://hextcg.com/gen-con-decklists/)

That sapphire deck makes my heart go all a-flutter. Flock of Seagulls might be my new favorite card.

Awesome, I found them.

Thanks.

dogmod
08-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Seems like they modified the decks some. I don't see suppressive fire in the orc deck on the gen con list but it was played in the stream. Can't wait for all 411 reveals woot...

And a thought I just had about the "token" cards having their own # in the card #s... makes me wonder if that is the case if you could have a foiled up card but its token has a separate foiling process. Would be interesting but perhaps too complicated especially when trading foils etc.

Xtopher
08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Since watching the original gameplay video that came out months ago, I've made it a point to avoid any spoilers about the cards or game play -- until today, that is. Enjoyed the bird vs orc matchup immensely. My fires are restoked.

Icepick
08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm interested in what happened to the Claw of the Mountain God, now that his stats/effects have been taken by the Throat Cutter. New card, or dropped altogether?

Maphalux
08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm guessing he transformed permanently :)