PDA

View Full Version : UI Requests for priority passing button

Mr.Funsocks
08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
So, in stream we can see that the priority button is moved to a better spot. But I have another request: Make its spot, and appearance, contextual. Meaning it's a different location to pass priority for declare attackers phase and assign blockers phase, than it is for the others. Because when your brain is on autopilot, it's easy as hell to just click through on those.

Additionally, if possible, having the priority passing button change text and location for each effect that you're passing priority would be nice as well. It's often hard in a digital format to know (especially starting) what you're passing on: Is it passing on the casting, on the assign targets, or the cleanup phase of an action? I can't tell you how many times DotP's interface frustrated me in the last week when I've been playing it where I passed on the wrong phase.

Having dialogue boxes when you are passing on something that might not be a good idea would be nice too. For example, in DotP I have several times wasted a Terramorphic Expanse (land that you can sacrifice to put any other basic land into play) by THINKING I'd clicked on a land, but it turns out I hadn't, so I just sacced it to do nothing, as I had passed on the selecting a land. Having the passing confirmation box be different if you haven't used all of the optional effects, possibly in a different location, would be very helpful.

Gwaer
08-09-2013, 06:35 PM
It looked like even the guy playing the game was confused about whether he should be passing or selecting units a few times, so this is a pretty great suggestion.

hex_colin
08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I think part of it is that they just need to move the played cards a bit closer to the bottom/top of the screen. Then we'll always have the pass priority button in play, and we'll see the art/animations of the turn phases better. Oh, and allow us a keyboard shortcut instead of clicking.

Other UI things... The deck could be a little bigger, especially if that's the only real showcase for sleeves. Also, the decks could be a little further to the right - I get that they're leaving space for the UI elements when spells hit the stack, but there are other ways to handle the spacing/transparency/etc. whilst still moving the deck further away from center.

Malicus
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I think they did say in the stream that there was already a keyboard short cut for passing. I did like that you could rearrange how your troops were laid out though.

keldrin
08-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I think they did say in the stream that there was already a keyboard short cut for passing. I did like that you could rearrange how your troops were laid out though.
I'm all for being able to rearrange troops like I want it. Would def make it easier for me to to organize so I make sure I use every troop I'm needing to.

Mr.Funsocks
08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah, the kb shortcut is already in, I think they're just told not to use it for clarity on the stream. The cards do seem to be overwhelming the turn-counter in the center, and generally aren't arranged the way I like. Hopefully there will be "card arranging options" in the UI somewhere, so you can set up your default places to arrange creatures, places to arrange constants, sizes, whether they're stacked or not, etc.

Dralon
08-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I would love to be able to customize that aspect of the UI Display, so you can put the button in whatever spot is most convenient for you . Yes the keyboard shortcut is good, but both options would be great.

Zophie
08-10-2013, 12:31 AM
I hope they will eventually implement an auto-pass priority option for when you simply have no valid moves available. I know sometimes you want that extra control and a better feel for the flow of the game, but some turns it seemed like he had to click that button a whole bunch of times when there was very little or nothing to even do.

Icepick
08-10-2013, 04:41 AM
There was a feature showed very briefly where you could select which areas you actually wanted it to ask you, and it would automatically pass the rest of them. I didn't get a good look at the list because my connection was crapping out on me, but if you go and watch the video it appears pretty early on.

Mr.Funsocks
08-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I hope they will eventually implement an auto-pass priority option for when you simply have no valid moves available. I know sometimes you want that extra control and a better feel for the flow of the game, but some turns it seemed like he had to click that button a whole bunch of times when there was very little or nothing to even do.

It's a good idea for casual games at least, but any competitive game that option would be turned off instantly. I think a 2-3s timer priority pass when you have no options (like DotP does for EVERY priority pass that isn't a reaction) would be better and more generally useful.

I do like that they put the ability to put in stops though, that was always very handy in the old Shandalar game.

KiraForce
08-11-2013, 12:24 PM
They said in screen the priority button would more than likely change before Alpha. I was sitting through the stream thinking "You moved it to a better spot, but now it's blocked by flying creatures..."

Kamino72
08-12-2013, 12:19 AM
I've seen "twitched" games and I'm worried about priority passing (to be fair, I love the UI except this aspect).
1) Too much clicks
2) Too much interrupts
3) Risk of mistakes (because 1+2)

I would like to be able to ask the game :
- pass everything when I can't do something
- pass everything until the end of turn
- pass everything until the stack is empty <=> resolve all the stack

Maybe a toggle button to say "just react" <=> pass everything unless opponent play something

Stops is a nice freature. Maybe we can enforce them. I would like to have a "hard stop" (the next point/phase I want to do to something, a 3-step toggle ? no-stop, simple-stop, hard-stop-red-circle) and say "pass everything until the hard stop".

K.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I imagine they'll just do the same as MTGO, and I hope they do, because it works well. I can't remember the exact buttons, but they're F-keys along the lines of:

Fx - pass priority once
Fy - pass priority until the next time my opponent does something
Fz - pass all priority for this turn

As a mostly competitive player I tend to put stops in every step and phase just in case, but the function keys make it very simple to pass through a turn.

RanaDunes
08-12-2013, 03:49 AM
I just want keys mapped to specific kind of priority passing which can be pass one phase, or the whole turn...etc (like in MTGO; F1, F6...etc).

Having to click on a button is EXTREMELY slow. :)

EntropyBall
08-12-2013, 09:57 AM
I imagine they'll just do the same as MTGO, and I hope they do, because it works well. I can't remember the exact buttons, but they're F-keys along the lines of:

Fx - pass priority once
Fy - pass priority until the next time my opponent does something
Fz - pass all priority for this turn

As a mostly competitive player I tend to put stops in every step and phase just in case, but the function keys make it very simple to pass through a turn.

I hope to see something like this. Watching him have to pass priority over and over when attacked by 6 Rage orcs was just silly. I would want to just say "Pass All" in that case. Right now, from watching the streams, the gameplay seems slow.

Xintia
08-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't know. It's a tricky balancing act to take into consideration speed, convenience, strategy, game flow, etc. Right now I am so frustrated with DotP's priority system that I would rather CZE ere on the side of caution and ask us "too many times" to pass priority. I can't tell you how many times I've messed up using end-of-turn, end-of-phase, and other instant abilities in DotP because I didn't know I was passing or I passed when I shouldn't.

Mr.Funsocks
08-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't know. It's a tricky balancing act to take into consideration speed, convenience, strategy, game flow, etc. Right now I am so frustrated with DotP's priority system that I would rather CZE ere on the side of caution and ask us "too many times" to pass priority. I can't tell you how many times I've messed up using end-of-turn, end-of-phase, and other instant abilities in DotP because I didn't know I was passing or I passed when I shouldn't.

That's kind of what I'm saying - It's not just a "too many" or a "too few" it's a matter of "Which."

If I know I'm passing priority on the declare attackers step, rather than the declare blockers step, or that I'm passing priority on the interrupt/casting part of a spell, rather than the resolution of the spell, because the button I click says that, it becomes much easier. The problem with DotP's interface is two-fold - 1 is that it has the damn timer that you can look away from and miss your chance, and 2 is that it takes a fair few games to figure out WHICH priority you're passing on, based on subtle clues, like the little sparkly effect over a spell. At least when you have a chance to declare blockers/attackers, the button changes to swords/shield.

DarkSeverance
08-12-2013, 04:01 PM
1) Too much clicks.I don't use clicks. I use the spacebar to pass priority. ^_^

Tinuvas
08-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Other UI things... The deck could be a little bigger, especially if that's the only real showcase for sleeves.

Yeah, this. Sleeves will be cool and I'm sure I'll collect a few, and currently I have seen no way to showcase adequately. You can't even see the cards in the other players hand. I'm sure they have something in the works there, but it would be nice to have some screen real estate devoted to sleeves.

ShadowTycho
08-13-2013, 12:58 AM
wasn't there a thing shown in the newest twitch stream about how you could decide ahead of time when you wanted it to ask you and it would auto pass otherwise?

Pretty sure its built right into the ui now.

EntropyBall
08-13-2013, 07:17 AM
wasn't there a thing shown in the newest twitch stream about how you could decide ahead of time when you wanted it to ask you and it would auto pass otherwise?

Pretty sure its built right into the ui now.

I think the point is that he had that set up, specifically opened it and said "this looks good" and still had to do a ton of clicking.

Mr.Funsocks
08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, this. Sleeves will be cool and I'm sure I'll collect a few, and currently I have seen no way to showcase adequately. You can't even see the cards in the other players hand. I'm sure they have something in the works there, but it would be nice to have some screen real estate devoted to sleeves.

That's another thing I was gonna harp on - I wanna see the other guy's hand represented by cards. It really bugs me that you can't visually see their hand represented.

ShadowTycho
08-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I think the point is that he had that set up, specifically opened it and said "this looks good" and still had to do a ton of clicking.

he only seemed to click half the boxes though. i imagine if you click all of them it wont ask you ever.

Mr.Funsocks
08-13-2013, 10:04 PM
he only seemed to click half the boxes though. i imagine if you click all of them it wont ask you ever.

It's still gonna ask you on your turns' phases, and ask you to react to each of your opponent's plays.