PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Equipment

archonhades
08-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Hello all,

I'm a bit confused as to how equipment works. As I understand it you equip yourself not individual cards and then based on what you personally have equipped it will buff certain cards in your deck. Is this correct? Conversely I understand that gems will socket directly too cards thus 'consuming' them making them single card buffs?

Also how will this work in limited and pvp formats? The gem section refers to it expanding limited strategy but how will it be unlocked. Will all gems and equipment be available in pvp?

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before but I couldn't find it by searching and the live-streams are always at busy times.

all the best
Archonhades

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Read these; what you are asking is explained better and in more detail than i will ever do

Equipment: http://hextcg.com/equipment/
Gems: http://hextcg.com/socketed-cards/

archonhades
08-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Ah i didnt read the equipment section right, thanks. I think my question on gems still stands.

keldrin
08-10-2013, 03:37 AM
gems and equipment are PVE only.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-10-2013, 03:40 AM
gems and equipment are PVE only.
Equipment is PvE only, but gems are also usable in PvP (otherwise, most socket cards would plummet in power, and it wouldn't make sense for any PvP cards to have sockets :-P).

As for gems being consumed, I believe they aren't, so as long as you have 4 of a certain kind of gem, you can use it in any and all of your decks that you want to.

keldrin
08-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Equipment is PvE only, but gems are also usable in PvP (otherwise, most socket cards would plummet in power, and it wouldn't make sense for any PvP cards to have sockets :-P).

As for gems being consumed, I believe they aren't, so as long as you have 4 of a certain kind of gem, you can use it in any and all of your decks that you want to.

Your right. It's almost 6am here....
And I think you're correct about gems not being consumed either.

Chiany
08-10-2013, 04:00 AM
Your right. It's almost 6am here....
And I think you're correct about gems not being consumed either.

Gems will be given to players unlimited, just like the resources.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Gems will be given to players unlimited, just like the resources.
I know they stated that would be the case for drafts, but did they also state that would be the case for general deckbuilding?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up being the case given that finding an avenue for PvP only players to get gems could be troublesome, but I just don't recall seeing them say that anywhere.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 04:08 AM
Gems will be available at all times, just like resources do. Check this thread here; http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23880

self1sch
08-10-2013, 04:35 AM
What I wanna know is the following:

Let's imagine I want 4 Master Beast Rider in my Wild/Blood Deck. Is it possible to equip 2 with a blood gem and 2 with a wild gem?

Gen91
08-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Gems will be available at all times, just like resources do. Check this thread here; http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23880

I hope, that gems in future sets will be drops/crafted.

Chiany
08-10-2013, 05:26 AM
I hope, that gems in future sets will be drops/crafted.

Can you explain why?
I am not against it perse, just curious about your reasoning.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 05:29 AM

Let's imagine I want 4 Master Beast Rider in my Wild/Blood Deck. Is it possible to equip 2 with a blood gem and 2 with a wild gem?

It's not clearly specified anywhere, whether gems will be affecting all copies of the socketed card; from what i'm reading you can speculate both. I would have been against it however for simplicity reasons;

Gwaer
08-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Yes, or you could have each one with a different gem in it the only requirements for gems are that you do not have more than 4 of any single color gem in your deck. But you can have 4 of each gem in your deck if you wanted.

You can also play any card that has a gem in it for its normal resource cost, but the gem effect doesn't happen until you have at least 1 threshold from that gems color.

Gems are basically a 0 cost 1 threshold card that is attached to a socket able card before that game starts, it obeys the same card limitations that a normal card does limit 4. And has the special ability can play for no effect when you do not meet the threshold requirements.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Yes, or you could have each one with a different gem in it the only requirements for gems are that you do not have more than 4 of any single color gem in your deck. But you can have 4 of each gem in your deck if you wanted.

So you are saying that if you have a playset of any given card , you can socket each copy of that playset with a different gem as long as it doesn't exceed the gem limit in your deck (4 of each). Correct ?

Gwaer
08-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Yes, that's correct.

ossuary
08-10-2013, 06:47 AM
I think the main confusion for a lot of people on gems is that they changed their design philosophy on them relatively recently (either shortly before the kickstarter, or during it). Originally they were going to be more like a loot drop that you could add into the cards if you had collected them, I think (or something similar to that, so that your personal supply could be limited). They then later moved to the current system, which is that you just have access to all of them, all the time. So when you are building your deck, you take the socketed card, choose which gem you want to put in it, and that card is permanently modified with that effect in that deck (assuming you have 1 threshold of that gem's color in play when you cast the socketed card).

The only real restriction on gems now is that you can only have a maximum of 4 of each specific gem (i.e. the sapphire "flight" gem) in your deck... otherwise, it would be too easy to take all of the socketed troops and make an "all flight" deck.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Yeah i knew that Oss; what feels strange though about gems is that by not globally affecting all copies of a card, it will hard to plan ahead without knowing what each copy does. Not to mention the fact that you will always have to look closer when somebody casts a socketed card. I guess that the fact that each gem needs a threshold for its power to be activated, limits somehow the options avaible, but still...

Gwaer
08-10-2013, 07:05 AM
I think honestly that's part of the power of socketable cards. they can be very versatile, and a bit difficult to plan for.

Icepick
08-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Yes, you can equip each individual card with whatever gem you want, though the ones with the Blood gems will need a Blood threshold before the gem becomes active, and you can only have 4 copies of each gem in a deck.

Gen91
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Can you explain why?
I am not against it perse, just curious about your reasoning.

I think it's a personal preference, I like to collect things in games.
For PvP/drafts it is okay to have them all,
but maybe they could add legendary gems for PvE,
with one time uses (break when you change the gem attached to a card).
Could be a good gold sink in some way.

RobHaven
08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I think it's a personal preference, I like to collect things in games.
For PvP/drafts it is okay to have them all,
but maybe they could add legendary gems for PvE,
with one time uses (break when you change the gem attached to a card).
Could be a good gold sink in some way.

I def wouldn't mind PvE going down the "use what you can acquire" road. I understand why PvP can/should be unlimited, but it could add some spice to the PvE if they had to be found/bought. I mean...we don't know that that isn't the case - I'm just saying. It wouldn't surprise me if some PvE only gems dropped along the way.

My gem question:
Gems won't activate until they're "paid for." Once the threshold is met, they buff the troop they're on. So does that buff work like an enchant creature or an equipment? What I mean is if you revert a troop (removing all buffs), does the gem still enhance the reverted troop? If the creature is changed to an X/X creature (not transforming the card, just changing its attack and defense), does a gem buff go on top of the X/X, or is the gem buff considered a part of the "natural" attack and defense (so it would essentially be overridden)?

Examples:

(A) Your troop is a 2/2 with a socket. You give him the +1/+2 socket. The threshold is met and you also cast a +1/+1 buff on him, so he is a 4/5. If someone reverts him, does he revert to a 2/2 or a 3/4? Would it remove all buffs (gem and spell) or just the spell (gem creates its own effect, so it is unaffected by cards targeting the creature)?

(B) You cast the 2/2 socketed troop. Thresholds are met, so he gets +1/+2 to become a 3/4. A spell changes the creatures attack and defense into 8/8, but it does not transform the card (it doesn't become a Monster Squirrel, Zombie, Angel, or anything else). Is the gem creating its own effect (troop is a 9/10) or is it a part of the troop (troop is only an 8/8).

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Not a rules guru but this is how i see it;

Gems offer a customizable option that allows to take more control over your gameplay experience. According to cze ' players get to try their hand at designing cards that they want to play'. Under this light, i feel that once activated the effects will be permanent

(A)In this case i believe that your troop will be either reverted back to 3/4, or depending on the card's wording, it may lose its buffs for one turn then return to 3/4
(B)In this case, if the card says that the troop becomes 8/8, then it will be an 8/8 troop despite its previous att/def; if the card says that the troop gains +6/+6, then it will be a 9/10 troop