PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding card multiples/deck editing

Enuncia
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
My apologies if this has already been answered; if so if you could just post the link to the relevant thread.

My question revolves around using a card in multiple decks. Let's say I only have 1 of some card; in the physical space that means I can only use that card in 1 deck, unless I take it out of one and put it in another that I want to use later. Will this be the same in the digital space? Or will the one card be able to be referenced in multiple decks simultaneously, so if I played it in deck X one game, and the next game I want to use deck Y, I don't have to go into the deck editor and move it from one to the other?
On one hand having the ability to put the same card in multiple decks saves a lot of headaches and "oh crap, I forgot to move it" exclamations come turn 2. It would also mean that it will be somewhat easier for us to level up cards to chase the foil versions across multiple decks.
The problem I can see with that though is that it means I have ZERO reason to collect any card past my 4th copy. With the deck limit of 4, and if those 4 can be used this freely, it means that as soon as I get card copy #5 or more (especially when I open all my Kickstarter packs) there's no reason for me not to immediately put it up on the auction house.

Has there been any official word on this? If not, thoughts/opinions?

Icepick
08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Once you own a card you can use it in as many decks as you want at the same time - no need to move cards between decks. And you're right, there is very little point in owning more than 4 of any card. I don't think I've seen a single instance of anyone having a problem with that.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
It will be possible to use cards in multiple decks; you won't have to remove cards from one deck to put to another, which is a blessing given the fact many people like to have multiple decks ready

Chiany
08-10-2013, 09:14 AM
And you're right, there is very little point in owning more than 4 of any card.

Except for Unlimited cards, assuming there will be. :cool:

Gen91
08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Except for Unlimited cards, assuming there will be. :cool:

There is already one card which can be used I think it was six times, with the right equipment (don't remember which one it was^^).

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
There is already one card which can be used I think it was six times, with the right equipment (don't remember which one it was^^).
I don't know if this is what you were talking about, but with its boots you can include 8 Time Bugs in a deck. http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Time-Bug/5

Enuncia
08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Once you own a card you can use it in as many decks as you want at the same time - no need to move cards between decks. And you're right, there is very little point in owning more than 4 of any card. I don't think I've seen a single instance of anyone having a problem with that.

I guess my main concern with this stems from right after beta when everyone opens their Kickstarter booster packs, and the market immediately gets flooded with hundreds if not thousands of copies of each card. Even still I think I'd prefer to use each card across multiple decks, it just means that at a certain point of each set (outside of draft) people will stop buying boosters once they have 4 of every card they want. And with the number of boosters being given out via the Kickstarter, that point will come almost immediately in set 1.

Shadowelf
08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I guess my main concern with this stems from right after beta when everyone opens their Kickstarter booster packs, and the market immediately gets flooded with hundreds if not thousands of copies of each card. Even still I think I'd prefer to use each card across multiple decks, it just means that at a certain point of each set (outside of draft) people will stop buying boosters once they have 4 of every card they want. And with the number of boosters being given out via the Kickstarter, that point will come almost immediately in set 1.

Not necessarily; people will still be playing drafts for the fun of it, and all the excess cards can be either sold, traded or decomposed into mats. Also don't forget that each pack will also have a treasure chest, which will contain nice rewards (sleeves, mercs, packs, gold etc)

Enuncia
08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Ah good point; forgot entirely about crafting and the chests inside boosters. I guess consider my concerns alleviated

Ebynfel
08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Also, the community seems to be continually growing. If it does continue to grow like it has been, then the dilution of the Kickstarter packs wont be nearly as bad as prophesized. Though set one may be a bit worse off than set two, this isn't overly a bad thing as newer players enter the market with potentially cheaper cards.

MoikPEI
08-11-2013, 08:34 AM
On this topic...
In League of Legends, they have Runes which boost different aspects of your character stats. They are activated by inserting them into a Rune Page. Any given Rune page only has room for a certain amount each type of rune. However, inserting a Rune into a Rune Page does not "consume" it. So, if you have nine Marks of Attack Damage, you can use all nine in every rune page you have. They are effectively unlimited. Except that Rune Pages cost real money after the third.

It would make sense to me if we had a limited number of decks we can make, and then the rest need to be purchased. (Kind of like purchasing extra Stash or Pack slots in PoE/D3/GW2)

Unhurtable
08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
On this topic...
In League of Legends, they have Runes which boost different aspects of your character stats. They are activated by inserting them into a Rune Page. Any given Rune page only has room for a certain amount each type of rune. However, inserting a Rune into a Rune Page does not "consume" it. So, if you have nine Marks of Attack Damage, you can use all nine in every rune page you have. They are effectively unlimited. Except that Rune Pages cost real money after the third.

It would make sense to me if we had a limited number of decks we can make, and then the rest need to be purchased. (Kind of like purchasing extra Stash or Pack slots in PoE/D3/GW2)

I would actually be pretty disappointed if I couldn't have like 25 decks by default. It just seems like such a cheap move to limit the amount of something like a rune page to such a low amount that most people are going to want more.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-11-2013, 09:13 AM
This would be pretty annoying IMO. With so many different dungeons and raids in PvE, there are likely to be many different deck configurations and archetypes which will be superior than others at each one, so being forced to delete one of these configs each time we set up for a different dungeon would be frustrating (assuming we didn't want to pay money simply for convenience). Then throw in how many PvP and casual decks we might have, and yep, it could feasible cost a lot of money not to have to delete decks.

Quite frankly, it seems like it would be an unnecessary money grab. ^^ Let CZE get their money through digital product like boosters and sleeves, not through selling convenience.

blakegrandon
08-11-2013, 10:46 AM

I have a problem with it on the basis of saturation.

Once people have X copies of a card where X=the maximum per deck(4 for the most part), the value of a card drops significantly.

Think of it as D3 where the best items became extremely easy to get(or buy) once people started farming them.

Even the rarest card's value will drop significantly once the market becomes saturated with them, and even the rarest item will be dropping pretty frequently if the game becomes popular.

With very little in the way of "gold sinks", it will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly the market crashes once people get the cards they need.

Back when we used to have a gaming store people would have 2-3 sets of certain cards to ensure that they didn't have to re-sleeve a deck before a tournament, and this was even for the hard to find cards.

Not having to "re-sleeve" is a double-edged sword when it comes to the economy, I have a feeling people are going to be disappointed with their card's "value" when the market takes off...

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I have a problem with it on the basis of saturation.

Once people have X copies of a card where X=the maximum per deck(4 for the most part), the value of a card drops significantly.

Think of it as D3 where the best items became extremely easy to get(or buy) once people started farming them.

Even the rarest card's value will drop significantly once the market becomes saturated with them, and even the rarest item will be dropping pretty frequently if the game becomes popular.

With very little in the way of "gold sinks", it will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly the market crashes once people get the cards they need.

Back when we used to have a gaming store people would have 2-3 sets of certain cards to ensure that they didn't have to re-sleeve a deck before a tournament, and this was even for the hard to find cards.

Not having to "re-sleeve" is a double-edged sword when it comes to the economy, I have a feeling people are going to be disappointed with their card's "value" when the market takes off...
Except oversaturation is only an 'issue' with commons, uncommons, and the occasional janky casual-only rare (that many players won't care about owning any of, let alone playsets) - and I'd argue that it's not even an issue then, given that the majority of the cards that fall in this category don't see competitive play (and thus to drive their worth up you'd need to make them rare for the sake of being rare). Competitive rares, and even fringe, potentially playable rares won't have the issue of over-saturation given that the majority of players won't have playsets of them. And there's something wrong with the game if everyone who wants a playset of the best rares is easily able to get their hands on them.

Besides, not allowing cards to be shared between decks won't drive the value of cards up much at all. It's a convenience thing - thrifty players will simply swap cards between decks. Not allowing this convenience would be a bad thing IMO.

Malicus
08-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Over saturation of rares is less likely than some seem to think - I believe the volume of packs you would need to open just to have a chance to generate a full playset (assuming no over-duplication of rares and legendaries) already exceeds the volume of boosters of any 1 tier.

Icepick
08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
It's worth pointing out that CZE have repeatedly stated that the only things they are going to be charging actual money for are boosters and preconstructed decks. No need to worry about them gouging people for things like extra deck slots or whatever.

Also I don't know where this idea that there are no gold sinks keeps coming from. It's like some kind of forum urban legend that keeps coming out of nowhere based on no information. We don't know *anything* about the gold economy and what kind of gold sinks will or won't exist. For all we know, the cheapest item you can buy with gold costs more than you can make in a week of farming.

Shadowelf
08-11-2013, 05:50 PM
It's worth pointing out that CZE have repeatedly stated that the only things they are going to be charging actual money for are boosters and preconstructed decks. No need to worry about them gouging people for things like extra deck slots or whatever.

Those and tournament entries

Also I don't know where this idea that there are no gold sinks keeps coming from. It's like some kind of forum urban legend that keeps coming out of nowhere based on no information. We don't know *anything* about the gold economy and what kind of gold sinks will or won't exist. For all we know, the cheapest item you can buy with gold costs more than you can make in a week of farming.

Cory said at the Kotr interview that they have already hired a professor of economics to work on pricing models, inflation, and help them manage the economy of the game. Its that some people feel that they can do better :P

(source Kotr interview around 00:56:00 http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874)