PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Hex Puzzle #4

HyenaNipples
08-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Another Hex Puzzle for you today! (http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/08/11/sunday-hex-puzzle-4-aug-11-2013/)

I hope it gives you a few moments enjoyment!

Icepick
08-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Took me a bit to work that one out. Nice puzzle, good job!

Kroan
08-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Just to check, the ability on the Master Beast Rider won't work because not meeting the requirements of the treshhold of the gem, right?

Edit: Nvm, i guess you mean it has the wild major gem socketed.

Edit: So I'm stuck. I'm pretty sure swift strike doesn't work in "fighting" with the green gem. You can't play all cards in your hand, so the emberwitch can't come in to prevent lifegain. Either I'm wrong or the puzzle is incorrect.

KiraForce
08-11-2013, 01:10 PM
How do we submit answers? Or do we just keep them in our minds until next week?

HyenaNipples
08-11-2013, 04:14 PM
You can use the comments on Hex Shuffle, as I don't reveal them until the following week.

Grissnap
08-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Hint for those that are stuck: the Wild Beast Master's power goes on the chain and you have the opportunity to respond to it with Quick Actions before it is applied.

Lockon
08-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Still isn't enough. Even if I play the Master, Aura and Burn(Pretty obvious the Witch isn't going to be useful at all.) I still can't kill Ozawa AND deal damage. The best as I can tell, I'm supposed to use Burn to lower Ozawa's defense and attack by hitting the champion, summon Beast Master, chain Ruby aura to him, have him smack Ozawa, die in the process, while giving Cleric the boost from his effect. The problem? That leaves Ozawa with 2 Defense, meaning I have to hit him with the cleric, leaving me without troops. I just don't get it.

Armies
08-11-2013, 06:44 PM
your not reading the situation right lockon

HyenaNipples
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
It is solvable. Keep at it!

Grissnap
08-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Second hint, Beast Master can boost himself.

LargoLaGrande
08-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Second hint, Beast Master can boost himself.

So, he boost himself, battles Ozawa and either can't kill him, or your opponent gains 6 life. Or is lifedrain not the exact lifelink equivalent from MTG I thought it was? (Or as Kroan mentioned earlier, is the battle gem not the Fight equivalent I thought it was?)

Grissnap
08-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Alright second page, here's the answer: spoilers alert!

Play Beast Master. When Beast Master enters play, put his battle opposing troop effect on the chain first, then his boost effect second and he targets himself. While both effects are still on the chain you play Ruby Aura to boost his attack by 1 and give him Swiftstrike, then in response to that boost you play Burn targeting the opposing champion. So then you resolve the chain and Burn deals 2 damage to champion (Thus Ozawa's health also decreases to 5), then boost 1 attack and Swiftstike to Beast Master (for a total of 3 attack), then his enter play boost effect resolves, providing himself with 3 additional attack for 6 attack total, then the battle effect happens, and since he has Swiftstrike (Beast Master deals damage first) - dealing 6 damage to Ozawa who dies before he can deal damage to Beast Master (thus no lifedrain). Now you have a 3/1 troop in play, you use your champion charge power to boost it to 5/1 attack. You attack with that troop dealing 5 damage to opposing champion, brining him to 0.

LargoLaGrande
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Is that how the battle gem works? I was assuming it's the same as the Fight keyword in MTG, where first strike doesn't matter.

Grissnap
08-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Not sure, if that's the case then perhaps this puzzle wouldn't work.

HyenaNipples
08-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I couldn't say. I never knew there was a Fight keyword in Magic the Gathering.

poizonous
08-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Actually this puzzle does not have a definite answer until we get rulings. Question 1) Does Swiftstrike work in a "Fight" scenario, because if it doesn't then Ozawa would gain extra life this turn and you would fail to do enough damage with arena brawler.

Kroan
08-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Actually this puzzle does not have a definite answer until we get rulings. Question 1) Does Swiftstrike work in a "Fight" scenario, because if it doesn't then Ozawa would gain extra life this turn and you would fail to do enough damage with arena brawler.

Ah yes, so I was not crazy for thinking the puzzle doesn't work. I'm assuming fight works the same as in MTG until confirmed otherwise. (Seeing as most abilities work the same as in MTG; ie lifelink not stacking)

Icepick
08-12-2013, 04:05 AM
Alright second page, here's the answer: spoilers alert!

Play Beast Master. When Beast Master enters play, put his battle opposing troop effect on the chain first, then his boost effect second and he targets himself. While both effects are still on the chain you play Ruby Aura to boost his attack by 1 and give him Swiftstrike, then in response to that boost you play Burn targeting the opposing champion. So then you resolve the chain and Burn deals 2 damage to champion (Thus Ozawa's health also decreases to 5), then boost 1 attack and Swiftstike to Beast Master (for a total of 3 attack), then his enter play boost effect resolves, providing himself with 3 additional attack for 6 attack total, then the battle effect happens, and since he has Swiftstrike (Beast Master deals damage first) - dealing 6 damage to Ozawa who dies before he can deal damage to Beast Master (thus no lifedrain). Now you have a 3/1 troop in play, you use your champion charge power to boost it to 5/1 attack. You attack with that troop dealing 5 damage to opposing champion, brining him to 0.

Yeah this is the same solution I came up with. It's an interesting point of perception here - I've not played MtG extensively either, so I didn't know about the Fight keyword. I just assumed that Swift Strike would work as normal, because why wouldn't it? Had no idea that such a thing existed in MtG and that First strike didn't work.

Eierdotter
08-12-2013, 04:13 AM
if swiftstrike would not work in a "fight" scenario why should lifedrain work?

IMO this was the most straight forward puzzle so far. play this, play this, attack win...

Grissnap
08-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Investigating the magic scenario, its because "Fight" damage is not considered combat damage, and the magic equivalent of swiftstrike is only flagged for combat damage. Whereas Lifedrain only considers whether the damage was dealt by the troop or not.

Kroan
08-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Investigating the magic scenario, its because "Fight" damage is not considered combat damage, and the magic equivalent of swiftstrike is only flagged for combat damage. Whereas Lifedrain only considers whether the damage was dealt by the troop or not.

This is correct. I would assume the Flight of Seagulls would die by this aswell, since it's not combat damage.

poizonous
08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Kroan, thats correct, Lifedrain is simply put any damage dealt, swiftstrike requires combat damage which differs from Fight damage.