PDA

View Full Version : day and night cards

locust
08-11-2013, 11:06 AM
So my brother had this idea were cards could shift if it was day or night.

example : you have a werewolf that is a human in daylight, but after 8 pm the card transforms into a werewolf that has different abilities or power.

this would imply the server to recognize the time of your meridian, and maybe be a little odd when playing against people in other countrys.

But nevertheless seems like a fun and different idea to apply in a pve card.

Mr.Funsocks
08-11-2013, 11:10 AM
It would be far more interesting to have individual PvE encounters HAVE a day/night cycle (on a timer, or turn timer, or after x# of encounters) that effected it. Things based on real-time in a turn-based card game are not appealing at all.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
So my brother had this idea were cards could shift if it was day or night.

example : you have a werewolf that is a human in daylight, but after 8 pm the card transforms into a werewolf that has different abilities or power.

this would imply the server to recognize the time of your meridian, and maybe be a little odd when playing against people in other countrys.

But nevertheless seems like a fun and different idea to apply in a pve card.
For certain casual formats it might be alright, but for the overall PvE landscape, and in particular for dungeons and raids, it could be very problematic. Imagine that one side of a card is pivotal for a deck that you're using against a raid, and the other side is garbage. It would suck terribly to have to wait until X time during the day to be able to attempt the raid.

MoikPEI
08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
The Boktai series of Gameboy games did something like that as well.
It had a UV light sensor built into the cart. If you played outside on the porch in the sun, your character would be more powerful and/or have more options. If I remember correctly, the game was well recieved.

locust
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
so what if it would work like this? a raid or "dungeon" were during the game the time passes.

example : you pass 2 turns it starts to get dark, after 4 turns its night, and that changes certain cards, then after 4 turns again the cards change back.

Shadowelf
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
It appears that wizard's had the same idea as your brother...:p day/night cards were introduced at innistrad block http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Innistrad. I wasn't really a fun of this mechanic as i had to resleeve the card and turn it backwards or use those silly reference cards. I think however that digital space will remove this incovenience (and time implications), and maybe a similar mechanic will be introduced in hex as well later on (probably and hopefully pve only)

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I have no problem with the Wizards method of day/night cards and transforming, given that it's an in-game mechanic that can be used anytime. For a dungeon or raid though, I don't want to actually be waiting until ~6PM PST or whenever to actually play the deck I want to use. I don't have a problem with in game mechanics that might simulate day or night (ie. the Wizards transforming), but when you bring actual real life time into it, it makes things quite awkward.

I'm actually not against the real-life-time based idea, I just think it should be saved for either a PvE multiplayer setting, or should be used for lighter PvE content (ie. quests, and not dungeons or raids)

Nicalapegus
08-11-2013, 01:14 PM
This would be near impossible to balance unless the "Human" and "Werewolf" cards were solely aesthetically different.

ossuary
08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
This idea has been broached before (I believe the original suggestion was about seasons impacting the cards), but it was generally agreed that it would be too hard to balance, and unfair to have alternate powers based on random factors that were outside of player control.

jax's ideas on having in-game content altered based on time of day / year factors is much more practical than having individual cards modified... that's a much better avenue of speculation, in my opinion. Lots of room to work with and have fun there, without interfering with PVP matches due to random factors.

Aradon
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
It's worth noting that Cory said he likes the idea of holiday cards that are more powerful on that particular holiday, so real-life time dependencies are something they have actually considered.

Stok3d
08-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd go as far as to support seasonal cards (Summer, Winter, Fall, Spring), but not time of day. (I'd imagine those Shin'hare would get some Spring time Perks if implemented...)

It's worth noting that Cory said he likes the idea of holiday cards that are more powerful on that particular holiday, so real-life time dependencies are something they have actually considered.

Yeah, I think Holiday support would actually be the most fun.

Shadowelf
08-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I have no problem with the Wizards method of day/night cards and transforming, given that it's an in-game mechanic that can be used anytime. For a dungeon or raid though, I don't want to actually be waiting until ~6PM PST or whenever to actually play the deck I want to use. I don't have a problem with in game mechanics that might simulate day or night (ie. the Wizards transforming), but when you bring actual real life time into it, it makes things quite awkward.

I'm actually not against the real-life-time based idea, I just think it should be saved for either a PvE multiplayer setting, or should be used for lighter PvE content (ie. quests, and not dungeons or raids)

How about cards that will be unlocked by playing pve as rewards by completing dungeons ? Wendigo Hunt dungeon for example makes a nice candidate given the fact that you have to unmask a werewolf among humans. And they don't have to be something big; just for fun

Mr.Funsocks
08-11-2013, 06:04 PM
How about cards that will be unlocked by playing pve as rewards by completing dungeons ? Wendigo Hunt dungeon for example makes a nice candidate given that fact that you have to unmask a werewolf among humans. And they don't have to be something big; just for fan

It wouldn't be fun to have that card though. It would be aggravating. Time-sensitive gameplay in a turn-based game isn't fun.

Malicus
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
It wouldn't be fun to have that card though. It would be aggravating. Time-sensitive gameplay in a turn-based game isn't fun.

I understand your sentiment but I do not see the relevance of the game being turn based. If it was real time or fps the impact would be the same of such a restriction.

turn based cycle mechanics could be interesting but really limit the field in which the cards can be used, unless perhaps you used another card to trigger the cycles then it could be quite interesting. Quick action - it is night for 4 turns, draw a card. Or constant - every 2 turns shift between day/night cycle. you could then have a constant - all your troops gain +2/+1 when it is night. more powerful than the traditional +1/+1 constant but also more conditional.

I do very much like the idea of seasonal cards though since that is a reasonable time period for cards to be relevant, certain blocks would focus on the seasons they are released in. Something which may keep the meta fresher.

Even if you remove some of the effects in competitive pvp they may be interesting in the broader game.

DrakarT
08-11-2013, 08:19 PM
a santa card that gives cards when you login daily on December :D

Mr.Funsocks
08-12-2013, 01:45 AM
I understand your sentiment but I do not see the relevance of the game being turn based. If it was real time or fps the impact would be the same of such a restriction.

I log in at 5:45 PM and I know it's 15 minutes before my healing human guys turn into big werewolves. The first part of this encounter requires a lot of healing, the 2nd part could use some big werewolves. I have to hurry my turns to get through the first part in time, and maybe I then have to wait 5 minutes on one turn so that my guys can turn into werewolves.

Suddenly there's this really annoying real-time component to a strategy game that you're supposed to have time to think on, and stalling should have no effect on. If it was a FPS, and I stood still for 5 minutes, I'd get shot in the head. Adding real-time components to a turn-based game makes it muddled.