PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] "Until end of turn" text color

EntropyBall
08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
When a card gets some text or an ability until the end of the turn, add this text to the card in a different color.

Its cool how cards change power, toughness, cost to red/green whenever it permanently gets worse/better. I noticed in the stream that the "Can't block" got added to a card in the standard white text. This seemed to me like a good candidate for an alternate color to indicate that its not permanent.

Similarly, could be useful to have a button that you hold during a mouseover to show the cards original text/stats, so you know what it would look like if you reverted it. (They have hinted at cards that revert other cards to their original state).

Lastly, and unrelated, you should make a keyword for "must attack each turn if able" It seems to be a theme for orcs, and is appearing on plenty of cards.

KiraForce
08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, I know this isn't MtG, but IN MtG Attacks if able is also common, but they don't have a keyword.

As for the rest of it, it's a pretty good idea.

Maphalux
08-12-2013, 10:27 AM
A keyword for that is a good idea. How about berzerker?

ossuary
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
"Relentless." :)

Barkam
08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I think just "Berserk" is a good option. Two syllables and sounds like an action word.

Shadowelf
08-12-2013, 11:22 AM
men went without their mailcoats and were mad as hounds or wolves, bit their shields…they slew men, but neither fire nor iron had effect upon them. This is called 'going berserk.

to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury,

Judging by the above, and given the fact that the keyword will be mostly appearing on orcs' cards, reckless would have been my choice

Barkam
08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah. Actually "Reckless" does sound better. It paints a more accurate picture. Berserk has a connotation of awesomeness. Where as "Reckless" has a bad connotation of not thinking and being careless. I like it.

Punk
08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I think Cowardice would be more appropriate. Berserking usually refers to an uncontrollable fury, so possibly a "Cannot block and must attack each turn" mechanic would be best for Berserking. The Troop cannot block so I think cowardice would be a better term.

Shadowelf
08-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I think Cowardice would be more appropriate. Berserking usually refers to an uncontrollable fury, so possibly a "Cannot block and must attack each turn" mechanic would be best for Berserking. The Troop cannot block so I think cowardice would be a better term.

Hmm if someone that is willing to attack each turn is called a coward, how would you call the one that flees the battle ? (please mind the coc in your response :p ;))

ossuary
08-12-2013, 12:07 PM
No, reckless sounds way better. No regard for self or danger, just an unrelenting assault. Kind of what I was going for with the suggestion relentless in the first place - but reckless sounds even better and is shorter to boot. :)

EntropyBall
08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I love how this has generated 9 responses and they are all about the suggestion I tossed out at the end :-)

I didn't put it in the OP, but Reckless was my thought as well.

Punk
08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Hmm if someone that is willing to attack each turn is called a coward, how would you call the one that flees the battle ? (please mind the coc in your response :p ;))

I see. I was thinking more along the lines of being too much of a coward to block, but I can see your point of view from an attacking perspective. It was a quick thought as I was going to my lunch break at work.

After having a bit more time to think about it, I like Deserter. It sounds great and I think the definition is very suitable for what it is going to represent.

Can't block - Deserter

Has to attack each turn - Relentless

Stok3d
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
No, reckless sounds way better. No regard for self or danger, just an unrelenting assault. Kind of what I was going for with the suggestion relentless in the first place - but reckless sounds even better and is shorter to boot. :)

I'm a fan of using the word: Relentless (that's what his assault is anyway... a Relentless Assault).
However, I'd support Reckless as well. I believe it's a better choice over berserk.

EntropyBall
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I think either Relentless or Reckless is good. The nice thing about a digital format is that they can easily turn text into a keyword later on. Once there are enough cards that "Must attack each turn if able" (or whatever the metric is for creating keywords), they just update all the card text, and boom, keyword.

dogmod
08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I think either Relentless or Reckless is good. The nice thing about a digital format is that they can easily turn text into a keyword later on. Once there are enough cards that "Must attack each turn if able" (or whatever the metric is for creating keywords), they just update all the card text, and boom, keyword.

I am for Reckless, if my vote means anything. And as for why the rest of your post didn't generate any feedback, I think it is because it is so obvious that everyone agrees with it. (Although perhaps not obvious enough that anyone else has come up with it yet) Good idea man!

Maphalux
08-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I think I like relentless the best.

DrakarT
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Berserk might be the most common option.. but what about Bloodlust? :D

dogmod
08-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Berserk might be the most common option.. but what about Bloodlust? :D

Best yet me thinks...

Maphalux
08-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Bloodlust sounds good too.

Barkam
08-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I agree. Bloodlust is best so far. Keep the ideas flowing!

RaiZenGar
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM
To expand on the titular idea, there should be general temporary effect colors. One for "buffs" and one for "debuffs." Whether it's until the end of turn, until it leaves play, or an effect granted as long as another card is in play. You should be able to mouse over the temporary text and be able to figure out the source(s) of the effect.

For example, Throat Cutter should add temporary text to all Orcs you control (or modify the Rage number on those that already had Rage).

Rycajo
08-12-2013, 08:23 PM
To expand on the titular idea, there should be general temporary effect colors. One for "buffs" and one for "debuffs." Whether it's until the end of turn, until it leaves play, or an effect granted as long as another card is in play. You should be able to mouse over the temporary text and be able to figure out the source(s) of the effect.

For example, Throat Cutter should add temporary text to all Orcs you control (or modify the Rage number on those that already had Rage).

I like this idea. Mouse over something that has been modified to see the modifications. Most important, this would help when a player is thinking of using Polymorph: Dingler on a troop. To see which buff will still continue afterward would be helpful.