PDA

View Full Version : Card Previews - Royal Falconer and Rocket Ranger

Shaqattaq
08-16-2013, 11:53 AM
by Will Brinkman

Good for a surprise 5 damage to the opponent, Rocket Ranger can continue to beat down in future turns or exhaust to help you build your various artifact bots.

http://hextcg.com/card-preview-august-16th/

Estar1
08-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Question on Royal Falconer: if the falconer dies do the falcons become 1/1s or do they see their master in the graveyard and retain their bonus?

Also for Falconer/ wizard of owl : if the falconer/owl gets unsummoned and then replayed do the falcons/owl remember their master.

hammer
08-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Assume become 1/1 but until we see the rules

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
I'd also say 1/1.

The Falconer, in general, is ok - great in limited, his competitive viability depends on whether or not there's an inspire deck that actually wants to be hitting 6 mana (and I'd imagine if such a deck does pan out it would probably be sapphire/diamond). Without his power going above 2 (and thus pumping the falcs further) being on curve probably isn't good enough, given that 2 of his power is unevasive and likely to get blocked and killed in combat).

That dwarf though... potential in constructed simply due to being a 5 damage evasive punch to the face if you're running an artifact troop (which would not be beyond the scope of an aggro deck, thanks to Charge Bot and Malfunctioning War Bot), and I can see it being very strong in limited for the same reason (imagine drafting 4 cheap artifact troops + 4 of these... pretty reliable face-punching, and they're all common).

felmare
08-16-2013, 12:06 PM
my goodness the dwarf... -2 dmg blistering firecat but stays....

the_artic_one
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
It's nice that the falcons double dip on Ruby pyromancer and krakenguard mariner but I feel like by the time you get to falconer you've already won with legionnaire of Gawain.

Estar1
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Well the falconer with a single ruby pyromancer in play will create a 3/2 and 2 5/1 flyers. the problem depends if a single burn to the falconer messes the falcons up. My best guess is yes they become 1/1s but its a unique mechanic that may effect other cards down the line.

The dwarf looks to decent to really good depending on aggro artifacts and how good other red dwarfs are.

poizonous
08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Falconer costing 6 in the ruby category, having to run in the inspire style deck to give the falcons any potential power, hurts its playability. If this thing cost 5 sure count me in. But Inspire decks have Legionnaire as its 5 bomb so even then it would be hard to consider running this. I like its potential but top tier Ruby decks never require a 6 cost

hammer
08-16-2013, 12:16 PM
I think the falconer will see competitive PvP play I really like him

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-16-2013, 12:22 PM
The big issue with the Falconer is that his power is conditional on having other cards or effects. If you have them, he's good. If not, he's left wanting. Most decks only want a conditional card if it comes out early and/or is quite explosive.

Having said that, funnily enough I notice that this is yet another card that could go well with my beloved Wild Root Dancer... 10 points of flying power if you hit the 7th resource drop. :-P But I can't imagine a wild/ruby competitive deck being built such that it wants to hit a 7th resource... >.<

Estar1
08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
On pve side of things the dwarf has one of the best common equipments i have seen, if the ai has no flyers its multiple dwarf punches to the face.

zadies
08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I think ppl are missing that the falcons also have two cost so they also get 1.2 cost inspires when they come out. So its not just the falconer that would get the inspire to pass onto them.

Hemlock
08-16-2013, 12:40 PM
If the falcons were cost 3, I might be impressed, as they could pick up some of the really juicy Inspires. Still, it's not necessarily much of a wincon, which is what you want out of a troop that size.

locust
08-16-2013, 12:49 PM
The dwarf is amazing! hitting for 5 in the air at turn 4 on a ruby deck? sign me in

6 Mana sure is a lot for the falconer tho, without any buffs it represents 5 power, 3 in the air. . i know that with ruby piromencers an what not he can be very good, but if i had to include a 6 drop i would make it a better one. In limited seems wonderful tho.

Lennier
08-16-2013, 01:07 PM
The dwarf is amazing! hitting for 5 in the air at turn 4 on a ruby deck? sign me in

6 Mana sure is a lot for the falconer tho, without any buffs it represents 5 power, 3 in the air. . i know that with ruby piromencers an what not he can be very good, but if i had to include a 6 drop i would make it a better one. In limited seems wonderful tho.

Isn't it actually 8 power, 6 in the air? With a Ruby Pyromancer inspiring them would be 13 power, 10 in the air. A second one inspiring them would be 18 power, 14 in the air.

Playing a Wild Growth on the master would be 20 power, 14 in the air.

If the master can survive long enough for the falcons to get damage in, I do see this card as a potential win condition.

locust
08-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Isn't it actually 8 power, 6 in the air? With a Ruby Pyromancer inspiring them would be 13 power, 10 in the air. A second one inspiring them would be 18 power, 14 in the air.

HO SNAP he creates TWO falcons!!! Scratch what i have said!

Koshindan
08-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Falconer seems to be really good for the R/S Inspire deck I was thinking of. The only thing wrong is that it'll take the place of Prophet of Lodegan because it's pretty much superior.

Rycajo
08-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Question on Royal Falconer: if the falconer dies do the falcons become 1/1s or do they see their master in the graveyard and retain their bonus?

Also for Falconer/ wizard of owl : if the falconer/owl gets unsummoned and then replayed do the falcons/owl remember their master.

The answer to these questions changes the power level of these two birdmen quite a bit. I kinda hope the rules allow for cards to be linked and affect one another even beyond death.

Linked cards are interesting. Getting more than one troop out of a single card is great card advantage; but, if losing one of those troops significantly weakens the remaining troop, the advantage is limited.

facade
08-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Looking at the dwarf's equipment, does it seem like the images for the pieces of equipment are reversed? Aeronautic enhancers can look like anything I suppose, but the Stabilizing Boots don't actually look like boots.

Rycajo
08-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Looking at the dwarf's equipment, does it seem like the images for the pieces of equipment are reversed? Aeronautic enhancers can look like anything I suppose, but the Stabilizing Boots don't actually look like boots.

Yes, it looks like the images (or names) are switched.

Lockon
08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Probably the images, cause the effects make some sense with the names.