PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Nods to the Past

Dracatis
08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
While I know for some games it's overdone, like how in Urban Rivals, most the characters are parodies of celebrities. But I was curious if you guys are going to do some nods to your predecessors and other fantasy stuff. For instance I was watching my roommate who recently got FF7 on steam the other day as a gift and was thinking... "Red XIII, what does that remind me of... oh, Coyotle in Hex". Maybe you could have a Coyotle unique be "Blue VIII" with blue/grey fur and a blue flaming tailtip.

I know there are plenty of killer hares you could parody as Shin'Hare, Pookie from Monty Python/Asherion's Call(have the flavor text be "Man, that was a killer fight but these slippers are comfy" and have it kill whatever it hits). I know you guys probably want something uniquely your own universe but I always think the tight community we have in game design and entertainment is pretty awesome.

Hemlock
08-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I think they're already tending towards content like that, particularly with mercenaries. Cardboard Tube Samurai and Gax, for example.

Personally, I think these sort of references fit best in more gimmicky design spaces, like mercenaries. I wouldn't mind too much, but I'd prefer PvP cards and the majority of PvE cards to be more devoted to worldbuilding and original ideas.

HyenaNipples
08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Mercs are perfect for that kind of genre-fan service. Cardboard Samurai is one of the reasons I upgraded my Kickstarter.

Shadowelf
08-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah mercs design space is limitless; heroes from the past, heroes from the novels, funny/silly mercs, mercs as story promoters etc; no wonder why Cory is passionate about them...

vickrpg
08-16-2013, 04:25 PM
I know there are plenty of killer hares you could parody as Shin'Hare

Usagi Yojimbo.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo)

RobHaven
08-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Usagi Yojimbo.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo)

This was the first thing I thought of when I read that line.

In general, I love subtle (but clear) nods to other games/movies/characters/whatever like that.

Kami
08-20-2013, 07:48 AM
They really, really need a reference to the rabbit in Monty Python... ;)