PDA

View Full Version : First card from set 2 - Zeedu

Chiany
08-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks to Colin for spoiling this to us!!

edit set 2 obviously, but can't change the title.

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Zeedu_Gear.png

Shadowelf
08-17-2013, 12:31 AM
So there won't be different set symbols ? If not, how can you tell cards from different sets apart?

Kami
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM
So there won't be different set symbols ? If not, how can you tell cards from different sets apart?

I think the bottom edge of the card, the 1 should've been a 2. It's supposed to represent rarity and set.

Collector / Rarity Info: The card will display its rarity, set number, as well as card number within the set.

Shadowelf
08-17-2013, 12:43 AM
I think the bottom edge of the card, the 1 should've been a 2. It's supposed to represent rarity and set.

Thanks Kami; you know i was always under the impression that set 1 was a code name, like the ones mtg is using for sets yet to be revealed, and that set1 will properly be named once spoiled. Which doesn't appear to be the case

hammer
08-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks Kami; you know i was always under the impression that set 1 was a code name, like the ones mtg is using for sets yet to be revealed, and that set1 will properly be named once spoiled. Which doesn't appear to be the case

I half expect the box to be expanded along the bottom of the card and contain set name or set code. I think there will be an identifier other than simply 1 or 2 to denote set 1 and set 2 respectively.

Shadowelf
08-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Well since they have already said that sets will forming blocks (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00), it would have been nice if those sets had names that tied them to a storyline; for example the first block could easily have been named comet apocalypse(set1), The shards of fate (set2), a world reborn (set3). Of course they had to represent this particular storyline on cards, and maybe they felt this will be limiting their design space or force them to walk hand to hand with the storyline development department and thus slowing them down

heavyhitter86
08-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Thank for spoiling the card but is it just me or is the text very confusing (at this point) and hard to follow? I remember listening to or reading something where they said they tried to clean up the text but .... maybe I am just dense.

Chiany
08-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Thank for spoiling the card but is it just me or is the text very confusing (at this point) and hard to follow? I remember listening to or reading something where they said they tried to clean up the text but .... maybe I am just dense.

To me it seems like this.

Say you choose 2. It then copies every 2 cost card in your hand, and on the field.

heavyhitter86
08-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I was talking to a guild member and that was his assumption too. Pretty powerful card.

self1sch
08-17-2013, 06:54 AM

If you look at the cards in the Gen-Con Build (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26976&page=2&p=284464&viewfull=1#post284464), you'll see, that there will be more info on the cards regarding setnumber etc. I guess "Set001" is still a placeholder though....

btw. I LOVE the dragons *__* They have such a great artwork and effects. Can't wait for the diamond one.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Personally, I like the card from a fun point of view. It's certainly powerful, so it'll be a bomb in drafts, and should be able to be included in some casual and PvE decks. Without seeing more spoilers though, coming from an MTG background, it doesn't seem like it'd make the cut for competitive PvP. Effectively, if you're willing to run a 7 mana card (which is more than most decks are willing to), you want it to have an immediate impact, or be very resilient. This guy doesn't - he has to not only wait a turn (so he can attack), but he then actually has to connect to potentially generate some card advantage (while it's likely, it's not guaranteed). He's not resilient at all, and dies to a range of spells.

You compare it to a card like King Gabriel, who not only has a great amount of offensive power (12 on the first attack with him and Boldheart), but he also immediately gives all your troops - at the very least, Boldheart - a one-time destruction shield. While King Gabriel might not even make the cut, it's more representative of what you're looking for in a 7 mana troop. Off the top of my head the most recent ones that have seen some play in standard Magic (ie. the smallest format, thus the most accommodating of more expensive cards) are Angel of Serenity, who is a big flier that exiles up to 3 creatures or creature cards from the graveyard when it enters the battlefield, and Craterhoof Behemoth, who is an 8 mana creature with haste that gives all your creatures +x/+x and trample for the turn, where x is the number of creatures you have. So the Angel gives you significant card advantage on the turn it comes down, and the Behemoth tends to win the game that turn.

Madican
08-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Man forget copying cards like King Gabriel or whatever. Drop Zeedu on a field with 4 Thunderbirds, give him speed somehow, announce 2 when he hits, and Thunderbirds are now go.

Every turn more Thunderbirds. Thunderbirds all day every day.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Interestingly, he would form an infinite combo with Time Bug. But if you're connecting with 7 points of flying damage in one turn you're probably winning whether you get infinite turns or not.